Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - For Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday For Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

ncb_i_jimboeheim2_ms_576x324.jpg

Top Mystery Teams of 2014-15 (espn.com; Gasaway; insider article)

In the preseason we love to speak as though we have a pretty good handle on what's about to happen. We set about ranking teams, players, freshmen, upperclassmen, offenses, defenses, and many other such items in an orderly and highly rigid fashion. Hey, I do my fair share of all of the above myself. (I'm about to do it again right here. Oh, the irony.)

But the key word in that first sentence is, of course, "preseason." We simply don't know what's about to happen, and when it comes to teams that don't have a lot of returning experience, the mystery is even deeper.

Look no further than freshman-laden Kentucky in 2013-14: No. 1 in the preseason poll, out of the top 25 entirely by Selection Sunday, playing for a national title come April. It was a wild ride, the kind that young teams seem particularly adept at providing.

Which programs could pose similar mysteries this season? To measure each team's level of returning experience, I'll use our trusty old friend, possession-minutes. Returning possession-minutes (or RPMs) is a better measure of experience than plain old returning minutes because it's an indication of actual workload on offense that's weighted by playing time.

The teams listed below return the lowest percentages for possession-minutes of any likely Top 25 members. In this one respect, at least, these teams can be thought of as the polar opposites of Texas (percentage of possession-minutes returning: 100) or Wisconsin (85).

Here are your leading mystery teams for 2014-15.

Syracuse Orange
Percentage of possession-minutes returning:
Jim Boeheim's group constitutes the largest statistical mystery of any

ACC News

187798711.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Beejay Anya: Rumored to Have Been Downsized

First ACC Preview: NC State (dukebaskeballreport.com; King)

Let's dispense with the obvious: no, Mark Gottfried has not returned State to an elite level in college basketball. Yes, he's still a vast improvement over the last three coaches State suffered through: Les Robinson, Herb Sendek and Sidney Lowe.

Robinson was hired to clean up the program after Jim Valvano was forced out and whatever talents he had were stymied by State's new insistence on academic integrity.

Herb Sendek coached and scheduled with the soul of an accountant and had none of the spark that Everett Case, Norm Sloan and Jim Valvano brought to the program.

And Sidney Lowe, beloved though he was, never got State turned around.

Gottfried has.

And even more impressively, look how he's done it: in his first year, he took Lowe's roster and won 24 games, losing by just three in the NCAA Tournament to Kansas.

Ticket info for 2015 NCAA Tournament East Regional games in Syracuse (PS: Waters)

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Tickets to the 2015 NCAA Tournament's games at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse will go on sale on Saturday, Oct. 18 at 10 a.m.

The Carrier Dome will host the East Regional semifinals and finals; or Sweet 16 and Elite Eight, on Friday, March 27 and Sunday, March 29.

Tickets to all preliminary rounds of the 2015 NCAA men's basketball tournament will go on sale on Oct. 18. Tickets will be on sale at 10 a.m. in each host city. Fans wishing to buy tickets to the First Four, second- and third-round games or regional competition should go to www.NCAA.com/MBBTickets.

Will ESPN's College Basketball GameDay visit Syracuse in 2014-15 season? (PS: Waters)

Syracuse, N.Y. -- ESPN's popular College Basketball GameDay show is unlikely to make a visit to the Carrier Dome during the 2014-15 season.

Officials at ESPN announced some significant changes to GameDay on Monday and even without announcing any of this season's locations, it appears that Rece Davis, Jay Bilas and the rest of the GameDay crew won't be in Syracuse in 2015.

ESPN is introducing a new flexible schedule to GameDay, giving the network a better opportunity to pick games with good teams and interesting storylines. In the past, ESPN set most of its GameDay schedule prior to the season.

This season, the site of GameDay will be announced the week prior to the game, similar to the ESPN College GameDay football program...

15979419-mmmain.jpg

Inside Blitz: Jay Bilas In, Dick Vitale Out for Saturday Primetime Games

It’s the end of an era for Saturday night college basketball games at ESPN, as the network has made the decision to replace analyst Dick Vitale with Jay Bilas, Inside Blitz can exclusively report.

According to multiple sources close to the show, ESPN recently made the decision to promote Bilas to calling the Saturday night game in addition to extending his contract with the network through 2023. Vitale had been calling the Saturday primetime games with Dan Shulman since 2005, when they debuted.

An ESPN spokesman had no comment...

Anyone else read that and think "What??? They changed our basketball uniforms to yellow?"
For a millisecond. But then I thought his new team then opened the link. Yeah Baye!