Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Tuohy.jpg

Where Did That Kid From the Blind Side End Up? He is Playing Guard at Loyola (DO; Schneidman)

Franz Rassman slammed on the breaks and extended his arm across Sean Tuohy Jr. in the passenger seat to protect him from a potential airbag.

The two roommates and teammates on the Loyola (Maryland) men’s basketball team were on the way to Chipotle when the car came to a sudden stop at a red light.

But it was all a joke.

Rassman was only replicating the scene from the movie The Blind Side, when actor Quinton Aaron extends his arm to guard child actor Jae Head from an airbag when the two get into a car accident. Head portrays Tuohy Jr. in the film, which follows the story of how the Tuohy family helped current Baltimore Ravens offensive lineman Michael Oher on his path to the NFL.

Despite sometimes being known for his part in Oher’s story, Tuohy is also a Division I basketball player for the Greyhounds and is looking to shift his on-screen reputation to the court.

16399328-mmmain.jpg

Five Things to Watch For as Syracuse Basketball Faces Loyola and Tries to Jump Start Offense (PS; Waters)
Here are five things to watch as the Orange takes on the Greyhounds:

Syracuse's offense
The games against Cal and Iowa exposed Syracuse's offensive deficiencies. The Orange averaged just 62.5 points in its two games in New York. That's about as bad as Syracuse's offense was late last season when the Orange went 2-7 down the stretch. In those last nine games, Syracuse averaged 60.5 points per game.

Syracuse guard Trevor Cooney looks for space in the second half of the 2K Classic semifinals against California on Nov. 20, 2014, at Madison Square Garden.Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com
Here's the real scary part: While Syracuse's offense was bad last season — the Orange's final scoring average was 68.0 points per game — the 2013-14 team averaged 82.5 points in its 12 non-conference games.

This year's Syracuse squad is struggling from the get-go.

The Orange needs to get its perimeter game going. The frontcourt duo of Rakeem Christmas and Chris McCullough is carrying too much of the load. Those two averaged 29 points in SU's two New York City games. The backcourt tandem of Kaleb Joseph and Trevor Cooney averaged 21.5 points.

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptgwnteyzdi4ztmwnjjkn2flnju4mde3ngnmodvlyjji-e1416620706420.jpeg

Out of the Rankings: SU Men's Basketball Unranked for First Time in 5 Years (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

All good things must come to an end.

It was five years ago today, November 24, 2009 that Syracuse Basketball cracked the Top-25 after two blistering 2K Sports Classic wins over California and North Carolina.

Exactly 5 years later, the result of the 2K Sports Classic knocks Syracuse out of the Top-25.

The Orange is unranked after losing to California, ironically, at the 2K Sports Classic. SU did rebound to beat Iowa at the event, but it wasn't enough for the pollsters.

So after 5 years of always being ranked, the Orange is on the outside looking in.

Now, Jim Boeheim will be the first to tell you that the rankings in November mean nothing, really. It's just for fans and the media to keep tabs on.

Orange Watch: Talk of Syracuse Missing NCAA Tournament Premature (sujuiceonline.com; Bierman)

Item: Incredulously, we saw the many tweets from media and fans following Syracuse’s first loss of the season against California last Thursday evening at Madison Square Garden, and shook our head reading and questioning many of the 140 character definitive proclamations that the Orange will be NIT-bound come tournament time. After (at that point) three games?

There are some features of Twitter to like, and others to dislike, in examining one of the most dynamic tools that has changed the way we communicate 15 years into this century, and one element to loathe is when it provides too easy a space to write out that short burst of instant thought, sometimes more of a written knee jerk reaction, to something many of us are either watching, a trending current event, or what have you, and then hitting the Tweet button to send it out into that universe.

Last edited:
(JackMcCallum.net)

Third in a series of articles about the writing of BLEEDING ORANGE, which I co-authored with Jim Boeheim...

BEHIND THE INTERVIEWS: PROSTATE CANCER IS A SHARED MEMORY
I too am a prostate cancer survivor. JB gave me the same advice--get it out. When I was diagnosed a couple years after he went through it, I figured that he probably got the best medical advice available. CTO arranged for me to call him at home one night. We talked prostate cancer and treatments for over 20 minutes, and I followed his advice. I am grateful that he cares enough about random people in life to help them.:)

Last edited: