Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

022015_S_Archive2_DailyOrangeArchive.jpg

Roosevelt Bouie

022015_S_Archive_DailyOrangeArchive.jpg

Louis Orr

Bouie and Orr, Key Members of JB's First Recruiting Class, To Have Jerseys Retired Saturday (DO; Dougherty)

In Kendall, New York, Jim Boeheim sat in the corner of the town’s high school gym to watch the best center in the area.

In Cincinnati, Rick Pitino — who left his honeymoon to leap from interim head coach at the University of Hawaii to assistant coach with Syracuse — sat in a Jewish community center where a skinny scorer was playing in a pickup game.

Both coaches were still relatively new to the college basketball scene but knew one thing: with Boeheim taking over as SU’s head coach for the 1976–77 season, Syracuse needed a freshman class that could serve as a foundation for four years.

Enter Roosevelt Bouie and Louis Orr.

“They really got us going,” Boeheim said. “They were probably the most key recruits of any group we’ve ever had.”

Bouie, from Kendall, and Orr, from Cincinnati, were the highlights of Boeheim’s first recruiting class and led the program to a 100-18 record in the head coach’s first four seasons. Grouped in Syracuse lore as the “Louie and Bouie Show,” Bouie and Orr, now 57 and 56 respectively, will have their jerseys retired at halftime of Syracuse’s (17-9, 8-5) noon game against Pittsburgh (17-10, 8-5) in the Carrier Dome on Saturday.

022015_S_RobersonAdvance_ChaseGaewski_SP.jpg

Roberson Finds Ways to Adapt Despite Hesitancy Shooting Jump Shots (DO; Dougherty)

It’s taken most of the season for Tyler Roberson to find a confident shooting rhythm, but too much confidence quickly landed him on the bench on Wednesday night.

Roberson flashed into the high post and, with Louisville’s Montrezl Harrell in his face, shot an off-balance jumper that hit the left side of the rim and bounced out. A second later, Roberson jogged off the court while B.J. Johnson jogged on.

“He’s trying to hit that jump shot. He can’t make that jump shot yet,” Jim Boeheim said after Syracuse’s 69-59 win over the Cardinals. “He’s got to go to the basket and the other thing he can do because nobody is there is that he can go right into a ball screen and now no one is there to help.”

The junior forward re-entered the game three minutes later and, with a retooled offensive approach, never subbed out again. Instead of looking for his jump shot in the middle of Louisville’s matchup zone, Roberson facilitated Syracuse’s shooters, dumped to Rakeem Christmas in the post, set on- and off-ball screens and attacked the basket when given enough space. And even though he was looking for his teammates rather than his jumper, Roberson finished with 13 points and nine rebounds to help compensate for Trevor Cooney’s 1-for-10 shooting night.

022015_S_PittAdvance_ChaseGaewski_SP.jpg

Cooney Hopes to Put End to Shooting Slump as Syracuse Takes On Pittsburgh (DO; D'Abbraccio)

Trevor Cooney insists there are no mind games when shots don’t fall.

“I’m not saying, ‘If I make the first one, I’m going to shoot an X amount of shots,’” Cooney said. “… I’m not saying, ‘Oh, great, now I’m 1-for-5. If I miss the next one, I’m 1-for-6.’

“I mean, you just keep telling yourself to take good ones and if I’m open, I’m going to shoot it.”

So he does. But lately, Cooney’s mantra hasn’t yielded results — at least not at an efficient rate. The Syracuse junior has now shot less than 37 percent from the field in each of his last four games, but hopes his luck turns around Saturday when Syracuse (17-9, 8-5 Atlantic Coast) takes on Pittsburgh (17-10, 6-7) at noon in the Carrier Dome.

Cooney lumbered through Wednesday night’s game, hitting just 1-of-10 from the field and totaling just three points. The Orange still prevailed over No. 12 Louisville, 69-59, despite what Jim Boeheim called the worst game of Cooney’s career because of how good his looks were.

022015_S_PittSnowbeat_Courtesy.jpg

Cameron Wright

Pitt Guard Wright Keeps Late Father in Mind 2 Years After His Death (DO;Fortier)

Ten seconds passed. Then 15. Then 20. Derek Jackson still didn’t know what to say into the phone.

What do you say to your best friend — practically a brother — when his father dies? Jackson couldn’t find words for Cameron Wright.

“That silence, I can still hear it to this day,” Jackson said. “Whenever I think about that, I still don’t know what to say. I was just devastated and it hurt Cam so bad. I just tried to be there for him.”

They tried to talk about Kevin, Wright’s father, but mostly they just cried.

Wright, now a senior playing for Pittsburgh, keeps his father’s memory with him every day following his death due to brain cancer in 2012.

He remembers the man who touched so many lives that it seemed the whole city of Cleveland came to his funeral. He remembers the man who moved his whole family from Cleveland to Pittsburgh just to watch every one of his son’s college games, and the man who made Wright and Jackson laugh uncontrollably while he drove them to all their AAU games since grade school.

Wright has battled through injuries this season — he missed Pitt’s first seven games with a broken foot — to become the team’s fourth-leading scorer at 9.1 points per game. He also paces Pitt in steals. When Syracuse (17-9, 8-5 Atlantic Coast) hosts the Panthers (17-10, 6-7) at noon on Saturday, Wright will dedicate his game — as he dedicates every game — to his father.

ACC News

Derrick Coleman is No Longer an ACC Legend (Nunes)

Following Syracuse’s self-imposed postseason ban, Derrick Coleman has requested that his participation in the ACC Legends program be delayed. Derrick’s decision has the full support of the Syracuse administration; and therefore, they will not have a representative in the 2015 ACC Men’s Basketball Legends Class...