Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

17216466-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Basketball, Like Penn State Football, Has a Marquee Name That Can't Easily be Dimmed (pennlive.com; Jones)

Today's Bizarro Story on Syracuse...

That's because the facilities are first-rate, its league has unmatched exposure with the Big Ten Network, the resultant revenue stream is obscene and football money drives everything these days. And the conference has spread east toward Penn State with the latest expansion and clearly is planning to cultivate the region.

In the same way, I think Syracuse will be able to overcome the most important NCAA sanctions it suffered last week. But it's no tap-in. Orange basketball might be shaken for a time for these reasons:

The region itself is, like State College, isolated and not inviting. The weather truly sucks. The combined football/basketball facility has not been upgraded essentially since it was built. And SU is an outlier in its new conference; it is just beginning to fight the geographic battle Penn State has for 25 years.

Add in the fact that basketball coach Jim Boeheim, at age 70, logically should start considering retirement with scholarship sanctions hanging out there for the next four years. I think it would actually be for the best.

All that combined, you wonder if the Orange aren't headed for a dry patch - not next season when Boeheim has plenty of firepower back aided by a very good 4-man recruiting class. But in 2017 and 2018, the waters could get choppy, especially trying to compete in the ACC.

There is evidence that some sort of sweeping rehab of the Carrier Dome is imminent, maybe to be announced this year. I think that is a must. The place is a smelly dump, essentially untouched since its completion in 1980. If there is a less pleasant place to see a game in September than a dome with no air-conditioning (named after an air-conditioning company), I'm not familiar with it.

And the program simply doesn't seem to belong in its new neighborhood. Syracuse means the Big East. But the Big East is gone. The Orange would fit much better in the Big Ten. But that ship has sailed.

But you know what? At least for basketball, it's still about the Syracuse brand. And it always will be. Recruits all up and down the I-95 corridor know it. That hasn't changed. Once the loss of the 12 scholarships has been served, I don't expect Orange hoops to miss a beat with recruiting any more than Penn State football has.

The question is whether Boeheim, disgraced and branded as the cheater everyone always assumed he was, not grows defiant in his old age and outstays his welcome out of some sort of perverse spite.

David Jones, huh? Never heard of him. Never heard of pennlive either.

Edit - Ok, still don't know who David Jones is, but pennlive.com is from the Patriot News in the Harrisburg Pa. area. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
David Jones, huh? Never heard of him. Never heard of pennlive either.

Edit - Ok, still don't know who David Jones is, but pennlive.com is from the Patriot News in the Harrisburg Pa. area. Nothing to see here.
Based on his knowledge of sports, I was thinking he was the 5'3 singer/actor who was part of the pretend band The Monkees back in the day. But that dude died in 2012.

Still, as I review that column carefully, it could possibly have been written by someone who has been dead for 3 years. I think we are going to need forensics to be 100% sure.

Based on his knowledge of sports, I was thinking he was the 5'3 singer/actor who was part of the pretend band The Monkees back in the day. But that dude died in 2012.

Still, as I review that column carefully, it could possibly have been written by someone who has been dead for 3 years. I think we are going to need forensics to be 100% sure.

Tom, I used to love you until you called The Monkees "pretend".

http://.com/the-melchionni-method-working-around-syracuses-scholarship-reduction/

Looking at some possible ways that Syracuse could add depth over the next couple years with strategic walk-on situations.

http://.com/the-melchionni-method-working-around-syracuses-scholarship-reduction/

Looking at some possible ways that Syracuse could add depth over the next couple years with strategic walk-on situations.
For what it's worth, I tweeted a reference to this article directly to Jamal Custis, since I mentioned him as a possible addition of forward depth moving forward in the face of the scholarship reduction...and he retweeted it. That would, on the surface at least, suggest he's open to the idea of walking on.

For what it's worth, I tweeted a reference to this article directly to Jamal Custis, since I mentioned him as a possible addition of forward depth moving forward in the face of the scholarship reduction...and he retweeted it. That would, on the surface at least, suggest he's open to the idea of walking on.

It's an interesting idea, I'm just not sure it's feasible any more for a football player to join the basketball team. Given the season creep for both sports, there's too much overlap to get anything meaningful out of a football player. Say we go to a bowl game, he can't join the basketball until conference season starts, and then he's missed 2 1/2 months of practice. He'd have to be a hell of a player to be anything more than a practice body at that point (but still might be valuable given the lack of bodies).

And now that we're starting spring football in February, I'm not sure it's in Shafer's or the player's best interest to skip spring ball to be a practice player on the bball team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom