Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

16622627-standard.jpg

How Much Will Malachi Richardson Play Next Season? (sujuiceonline.com; Staff)

In the latest edition of a multi-part series, editorial staff of The Juice Online discuss various topics on Syracuse basketball. Today’s topic: What kind of freshman season will Malachi Richardson have? The Juice Online’s Steve Auger and Wesley Cheng explored.

Wesley Cheng: Steve, a couple of weeks ago, I tried to predict how Malachi Richardson’s freshman season would go. I said that in 15 minutes per game, he’d average 6.0 points on 40 percent shooting from the field and 30 percent from downtown. What predictions do you have?

Steve Auger: I’m much more optimistic about Richardson’s production, Wes. I think he’ll average 10.0 points per game while consistently making enough 3s to get Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije more open looks from beyond the arc. Long-range shooting was a struggle for Syracuse last season and, at 6’6″, I see Malachi as being able to contribute to solving that problem. Six PPG seems pretty low for the recruit who’s the gem of Jim Boeheim’s class. Do you not see him getting the minutes to make a bigger splash?

WC: I have no doubt that if Richardson could get the playing time, he’d get a lot closer to averaging double figures. The question is, where does that playing time come from? Richardson isn’t a point guard, so he won’t really take too many minutes away from Kaleb Joseph. Cooney was among the leaders in minutes played in the ACC. If Joseph is playing 30 minutes a game and Cooney is at 35, that only leaves 15 minutes for him in the back court. He’s too small at this point to really compete for minutes at wing. I think he’d need at least 25 minutes to average double figures. Where does the playing time come from for you?

SA: I understand your thinking with regards to his minutes but I’m not going to speculate about exact minutes per game average. My reasoning is that if he is a good enough shooter, especially from three, JB will find him the minutes because the offense will need his shot. There might be times where he’s part of a very small lineup: Cooney, Joseph, Gbinije, Richardson, and DaJuan Coleman. Yes, that’s small, but Cooney-Gbinije-Richardson have the potential of a pick-your-poison for opponents. Again, my reasoning is all predicated on Malachi being a consistently good 3-point shooter. I’m having a hard time thinking a recruit of his quality will ride the pine. Now, if KJ doesn’t make The Leap at the PG spot and G has to fill-in for parts of the game, how much more time and production do you see Richardson receiving?

Other

cuse-awards-a63ab20c51cc3c9e.jpg

Cuse Awards 2015: See the Best Tweets, Photos and Complete List of Winners (PS; Mink)

The 2015 Cuse Awards are being held Monday night at Goldstein Auditorium in the Schine Student Center.

Syracuse.com has compiled a Storify to provide the best tweets, photos and results from the awards show.

Here is the complete list of winners:

Male Athlete of the Year: Alex Bono (soccer)
Female Athlete of the Year: Emma Russell (field hockey)
Men's Coach of the Year: Ian McIntyre (soccer)
Female Coach of the Year: Ange Bradley (field hockey)
Men's Team of the Year: Cross country
Female Team of the Year: Field hockey
Doris Soladay Awards: Komal Safdar (women's tennis) and Sam Rodgers (football)
Male Performance of the Year: Martin Hehir (cross country)
Female Performance of the Year: Shaina Harrison (track and field)
Game of the Year: Field hockey's Final Four victory against North Carolina
Play of the Year: Skylar Thomas (men's soccer) game-winning goal against Virginia
Male Rookie of the Year: Justyn Knight (cross country/track and field)
Female Rookie of the Year: Leike Visser (field hockey)
Cuse Cares Award (outstanding community service): Women's soccer
Team Grade-Point Average Award (highest GPA): Tennis

17624728-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Makes Significant Drop in Official Winter Directors' Cup Standings (PS; Carlson)

The official winter Directors' Cup standings were released last week with Syracuse sitting in 48th place with 344.5 points.

Despite a significant drop from its fall ranking of No. 11 in the country, the winter ranking is the third-best in Syracuse history. Syracuse celebrated an unofficial first-place ranking at one point during the fall.

The Directors' Cup is a point system that attempts to gauge the overall success of an athletic department, rather than focusing on marquee sports, and has been used since 1993-94. Syracuse's only winter scores better than this year's came in 2012-13 and 1995-96. Syracuse's best overall finish is 39th in 2012-13.

The Orange had a poor winter, scoring in just two sports, women's basketball and indoor track and field. The Orange should fare better in the spring with both lacrosse teams owning the potential for deep NCAA Tournament runs.

Syracuse currently ranks ninth in the ACC in the Directors' Cup, and 12 schools that spend less on athletics (according to federal data) finished ahead of Syracuse. That group includes North Carolina State, Colorado, Georgetown, Illinois, Maryland, Iowa State and Virginia Tech.

Coveted Recruit Brandon Ingram Picks Duke (PS; Carlson)

Duke lost three one-and-done players to this year's NBA Draft, a loss of talent that initially appeared likely to hamper the Blue Devils' chances of repeating as national champions.

So much for that.

Duke landed a commitment from McDonald's All-American Brandon Ingram on Monday, giving the Blue Devils the country's top recruiting class and putting the Blue Devils right back in the ACC title race and the conversation for the country's top team.

Ingram, a 6-foot-8 small forward from Kinston, N.C., announced his decision at a 6 p.m. press conference, spurning North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky and others.

Syracuse Makes Significant Drop in Official Winter Directors' Cup Standing (PS;