SU News

042815_S_MBBvtGman_chasegaewski_SP.jpg

Michael Gbinije Shoots the Winning Shot Against VT February 3rd 2015

042815_S_MBBSeniorDay_MargaretLin_WD.jpg

AA Center Rakeem Christmas on Senior Day

Gallery: Year in Syracuse Sports (DO)

Other

komal.jpg

Komal Safdar '15 in the Scholar Spotlight (syr.edu)

Komal Safdar committed to come to Syracuse University as a junior in high school because of its tennis program. It was the only program in the country that trained its players to go pro after college. The biochemistry major from Cincinnati, Ohio, no longer wants a career as a tennis pro, but she is still glad she picked Syracuse. Her time here gave her opportunities to push herself and prepare for her ultimate career goal, becoming a physician.

Q: Being a student and an athlete at the same time is notoriously difficult. How have you managed to excel at both?

A: It comes down to time management. You can’t leave anything until the last minute, and you have to plan out weeks at a time. There is time to fit it all in, but you sometimes have to say no to a movie or a social outing. Sometimes you do have to make a sacrifice. In the end, you will make time for the important things.

Q: And you certainly have excelled, doing well at tennis for four years and winning several academic awards. What are some of the awards you’ve won?

A: I was named to the Golden Key International Honor Society and the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, as well as the Big East All-Academic Team and the All-ACC Academic Women’s Tennis Team. I’ve been named the Scholar-Athlete of the Week three times. I won the Thacker Postgraduate Scholarship Award, which is given by the ACC to three student-athletes each year for elite athletic and academic performance. And I won the award for Outstanding Achievement in Biochemistry, which is given to one biochemistry major each year.