Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Syracusefan.com Picture of the Day:

CDsa-Z_W8AAQHm7.png

Trevor Cooney, Next Zoolander?

Melo Marches in Freddie Gray Protests in Baltimore: 'Our Community is Fed Up' (PS' Carlson)

Carmelo Anthony spent part of Thursday afternoon participating in protest marches in Baltimore, saying that his background is just like that of the city's protesters but also urging Baltimore residents to do their protesting peacefully.

Anthony was interviewed by CNN's Ryan Young while he was marching.

"I was one of them," Anthony told Young. "So when I come back home it's all love. Everything is cool. I'm here for a different cause right now. I'm supporting my community. I'm here to talk to the youth about trying to calm things down in the city, man. We shouldn't tear our city down. We got to rebuild our city. We're going to get the justice that we want. It's going to take some time. My message to everybody is to calm down, try to be patient. It's hard to be patient, but we have to be patient in order to get what we want."

The protest marches were sparked by the death of Freddie Gray, a black man, while he was in the custody of police officers on April 19.

Gray's death, much like the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Miss., earlier this year, has sparked both violent reactions and deep conversations about systemic racism, racial issues and police relations in America. The upset communities have responded with mixes of peaceful protests and riots.

Anthony is one of many Syracuse athletes with Baltimore roots that have spoken intelligently and passionately about the city. Basketball player C.J. Fair and football player Qadry Ismail have also shared their feelings.

"We care," Anthony told Young. "I understand where everyone is coming from. Our community is fed up. But there's different ways to go about it. I'm trying to lead them to the right path. This is a peaceful march, man. This is people I grew up with. For me to come back here and show that type of leadership, we're together, this is one Baltimore. This is time to build our city back up, not tear it down."

Other
17650487-mmmain.jpg

Why Has Growing Season Gotten Longer in the Northeast, But Not in Syracuse? (PS; Coin)

The growing season in the Northeast has increased by 10 days in the past three decades, according to the federal Environmental Protection Agency.

But Syracuse's growing season actually got a bit shorter. Why?

Meteorologists and climatologists say they're not sure. It could be a function of Syracuse's location between the Great Lakes and the Appalachian range. It could be the way things have been measured and calculated.

The growing season, also known as the frost-free season, is defined as the number of days between the last freezing temperature of the spring and the first freezing temperature in the fall.

The EPA says the growing season is, well, growing across the United States. The biggest change is in the West, where the growing season is 16 to 19 days longer than it used to be. In the Northeast, it's 10 days longer. (See map above.)

The EPA compared the years 1991 to 2012 to a base period of 1901-1960. The report concluded that growing seasons were getting longer because of global climate change.

Syracuse showed little change during those two periods, however. In fact, the growing season was slightly shorter. From 1903 to 1960, the average growing season was 170 days. From 1991 to 2012, it was 168 days.

Those numbers don't include the past two years -- including 2014's record-breaking growing season of 207 days. If those years were included, the season average since 1991 would be 170 days.

NewsChannel 9 meteorologist Dave Eichorn said Syracuse's geography might explain why the growing season has remained relatively constant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom