Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Is this the next Lael and Daryl? He already has the tie needed...

18Fg3z.AuSt.36.jpeg

Q&A with Boise State AD Mark Coyle (idahostatemen.com; Southorn)

Boise State Athletic Director Mark Coyle touched on upgrades for Taco Bell Arena, the basketball and football programs, a new ticketing system for fans, the recent arrest of quarterback Ryan Finley and even his own future in a wide-ranging interview with the Idaho Statesman:

Question: Taco Bell Arena has been in need of some upgrades for a while — where are you at, and has any progress been made?

Answer: I think we’ve definitely made progress. We would love to add a new video board in there, new scoreboards in the corners and LED signage between the first and second level, ribbon boards. We’re working closely with the State Board of Education and President (Bob) Kustra on it, with the intention of moving forward. There is a chance we get it done this year ... we’ve got to have a couple things fall in place. That’s our goal. If not this season, then it will be in place by the following season.

Q: How much of an undertaking has the process been?

A: It’s been a large undertaking. My staff has worked incredibly hard. Our goal is to find the best option at the best price. We’ve been able to raise some funds, have had some companies come out and look at the arena to see what we can and can’t do. We have to be conscious of what Taco Bell Arena’s schedule is, too. We’ve done our homework, and we’re getting closer. It’s something we desperately need. Next, when we have a plan, we need to update the State Board of Education, what we plan on doing. (Note: the SBOE’s next meeting is June 17 — 18).

Q: You’ve spoken about trying to keep growing the basketball programs that play at Taco Bell Arena. What’s the next step?

A: First, you need stability. We’ve had coaches who have been here for a good length of time and done some great things. The men’s basketball team has kept that staff intact. It’s a lot of behind-the-scenes work. We’ve looked at doing more charters on away games. Men’s basketball has posted its best GPAs the last two seasons, and getting them back right away after weeknight games so they don’t miss a day of classes will really help.

Q: Is there anything you, as athletic director, can do to help with basketball scheduling?

A: I work closely with (men’s basketball coach) Leon (Rice). I’ve gotten more involved and he’s asked for it. We reach out to “Resource 5” (the Power 5 conferences) all the time trying to get games. Boise State is dangerous. We have a great group coming back. It’s hard to travel here, too. Leon is committed, and so am I , to improve the nonconference schedule. ... I’ve had a lot of conversations with ESPN in terms of helping facilitate games with us and teams that need them to create matchups here that get us on TV. We’ve made it clear, we’ll do home-and-home with anyone, but the issue is the getting them here part.

Q: Recently, it was announced that ESPN2 will broadcast the Mountain West championship game in football with a more friendly kickoff time of 5:30 p.m. How does that help Boise State?

A: We hear our fans. We’ve heard loud and clear the late kickoffs are a challenge, and I don’t disagree. We’ve talked a lot with the conference and ESPN to find a better balance. We were fortunate to host that game, but it gets cold at 8 p.m. in Boise in December, so if we’re fortunate enough to get it again, hopefully an earlier kick gets more fans here.

Q: With the change to Ticketmaster’s ticketing platform, will the fans notice any difference?

A: Our hope is that it’s more user-friendly. I don’t think most fans recognize the ticketing system they’ve been using, from that standpoint ... we want to make it as easy as possible. Our current agreement was expiring, and we felt like going through the process, Ticketmaster was the most fan-friendly thing we could work with.

Q: With a case like Ryan Finley’s, what is the process for an athletic department as far as how to handle it or what punishment is determined (the quarterback was arrested April 24 and charged with unlawful to purchase, possess or consume alcohol (under 21) and resisting or obstructing officers).

A: We have more than 400 student-athletes, and our goal is for them act responsibly athletically, socially and academically, but sometimes young men and women make mistakes. In Ryan’s situation, we’ve gathered the information and reviewed it. We all make mistakes. We need to gather all information, and make a fair and appropriate decision. It’s a collective decision. We have very high standards.

Q: Recently, your name came up as being a candidate at schools such as Pittsburgh and Syracuse to fill their athletic director vacancies. Some reports said you interviewed. Do you have any comment?

A: I’m similar to (former football) coach (Chris) Petersen. I don’t really comment on those things, other jobs. I can’t control what other people say. What I do know is that I’m incredible fortunate here. We’ve had tremendous success ... my name will pop up as that continues, I know that. We enjoy Boise State, our family has adjusted very well here, and that’s meant a lot to me.

Other

Romero_sign_nw.jpg

Henninger Dual Sport Star Romero Collier Verbals to Niagara (PS; Weidner)

Romero Collier was outside shooting baskets May 8 with his neighbor when he got the call.

Niagara University basketball coach Chris Casey asked the Henninger senior point guard if he'd be the hardest working guy on the Purple Eagles team if he extended a scholarship offer.

The two-sport star at Henninger assured Casey that he would - and just like that, Collier's dream of playing Division I basketball took one giant step forward.

"Once I visited and got a feel, I kind of knew," Collier said this morning after officially signing on to play basketball for the Purple Eagles. "I loved the campus. It wasn’t too small or too big. Then when I met the guys, they just made me feel comfortable, like at home."

Though he accepted the offer May 8, Collier made it official this morning in a brief ceremony at the high school were he starred as a football quarterback and basketball point guard, leading the Black Knights to Section III championships in both.

While he could be dazzling at times, Collier was known more for being a gamer - one who could raise his level of play in close games and will his teammates to do the same.

The All-Central New York guard, named Player of the Year for the large schools in March, averaged 16.3 points per game his senior season. But he also was credited with an eye-popping 9.9 assists per game as well.

"I think the Niagara coaches did their research," Henninger basketball coach Erik Saroney said. "I sold him hard, because I think they’re going to be real happy with him."

CFGNSOGWEAECJwv.jpg

Questionable Content = Evasive Answers (syracusenewtimes.com; Kramer)

Billions and billions of years ago, Carl Sagan asserted that there’s no such thing as a stupid question.

“There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism,” the late Cornell astronomer wrote. “But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.”

Shortly, I’ll demonstrate that it is possible to ask a dumb question, several actually, but that doesn’t mean Sagan wasn’t on to something. When someone calls a question stupid, it usually means the question cuts to the heart of the matter.

House Speaker John Boehner, for example, recently snapped at a reporter who had the temerity to ask if Republican funding cuts contributed to the deadly Amtrak crash near Philadelphia.

“Are you really going to ask such a stupid question?” Boehner asked.

No, are you going to ask such a stupid question, Mister Speaker?

Syracuse University basketball coach Jim Boeheim has raised attacking the question — and the questioner — to high art. Basically, any question Jimbo doesn’t feel like answering is stupid.

17856236-mmmain.jpg

Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Miller

NBA Lottery Results: 2015 Draft Order Plus Major Takeaways From Lottery (PS; Waters)

The Minnesota Timberwolves had the worst record in the NBA this past season, but they won the NBA lottery on Tuesday night.

The Timberwolves will have the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, which will be held on June 25.

The Timberwolves went into the lottery with the best chance to get the No. 1 pick. They had a 25 percent chance with 250 of a possible 1,000 ping-pong ball combinations assigned to them.

But the big story of the night was the New York Knicks' bad luck.

The Knicks had a 19.9 percent chance of getting the No. 1 overall pick. But the magic of 1985, when the Knicks wound up with the No. 1 pick and used it on Patrick Ewing, wasn't to be found on the 30th anniversary of the most controversial lottery ever.

The draft order held to form as the teams were revealed in reverse order until getting to the No. 4 pick. The Los Angeles Lakers, according to the odds, figured to get the No. 4 pick, but it went to the Knicks instead.

That meant the Lakers had a top three pick along with Philadelphia and Minnesota.

Los Angeles wound up with the No. 2 pick, while the Sixers will pick third.

Minnesota will have its pick of Kentucky's Karl-Anthony Towns, Duke's Jahlil Okafor or maybe Ohio State guard D'Angelo Russell. All three entered the NBA draft after spending just one year in college. Towns helped Kentucky to the Final Four, while Okafor led Duke to the NCAA championship.

Big winners
Los Angeles Lakers

The Lakers went into the lottery with the fourth-best chance at the No. 1 pick, but it was just a 12 percent chance. The Lakers also had a very real chance at losing their pick altogether.

Rothstein is wrong on this.

SU and St John's announced the return on the rivalry in January of 2013. The first OOC game in it was played in the 2013-14 season at MSG, and the second at the Dome this past season.

This is the first game of a new series. Not sure if it is a two game series or not. Does anyone know? I would guess that with Mullin taking over as the HC for the Red Storm, they would be more than willing to sign up for a long term home and home deal. Would would make sense for Syracuse as well....

I still firmly believe Chris McCullough will succeed in the NBA. So much untapped potential.

This is awesome news. Basically looks like the bottom 3rd of the first round is going to seriously consider drafting Rak at this point. He won't be around in the 2nd round and I can't imagine a playoff team that has championship aspirations next year and needs another front court contributor passing on him. I suppose if someone else really good slipped and they had a bigger need for that position then sure but how many players are going to look as good as Rak when you get past pick 20? Not many. What big would teams prefer over him after Towns, Okafor, Kominski? Maybe the foreign guys?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom