Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-almond-buttercrunch-day-june-29.png

Welcome to National Almond Buttercrunch Day!

SU News

New SU AD Mark Coyle on Shafer Job Security, the Carrier Dome and "New York's College Team" (PS; Poliquin)

Mark Coyle, introduced last Monday as Syracuse University's 10th athletic director in school history, will officially take over his duties on July 6.
Before heading back to Boise State, from whence he came, to pack for his and his family's re-location to Central New York, Coyle took the time to sit down in his Manley Field House office and discuss a variety of Orange-related subjects. Here is a sampling of what the new guy had to say:

On "fixing" the SU football team, which has gone 61-97 over the past 13 seasons:

"I can't answer that question until I have a chance to sit down and talk with Coach (Scott) Shafer. We really have to get into it. 'Hey, Scott, what's working? What's not working?' I say that we have to live in truth, always. So we have to have truthful conversations. I can't wait to sit down with him and his staff, and have an honest conversation. I'm not talking about the fluff stuff. You know, 'This is great. We can do stuff.' I want to know what's going on and what do we have to do. And let's just be brutally honest about it. And then we'll figure out our plan of attack.

"I will never hang a number out there. It's not like, hey, we need 'X' number of wins because it depends on our schedule. Look at this year's schedule. We've got some pretty good non-conference games. My definition of success is that we are competitive and that we are competing for postseason opportunities. There's a high number of bowl games and we compete in a very competitive conference. If we can compete in our conference we'll have the chance to do some special things in the postseason."

image3-300x300.jpg

Christmas Perfect Fit for Cavs (sujuiceonline.com; Goodman)

Is Karl Malone an MVP without John Stockton? Does Steve Nash become Steve Nash without Mike D’Antoni and the ”seven seconds or less” Phoenix Suns? Does Michael Jordan win six NBA titles without Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson?

The answer to all of those questions and many more throughout the annals of history is yes, no, and maybe. Certain players thrived alongside others and in certain systems. We can’t know what they would have done elsewhere, but we do know they benefited by being in the right place at the right time.

Boris Diaw needed Greg Popovich to become a championship contributor. The New York Knicks needed Pat Riley’s hard-nosed defense to reach the NBA finals. Draymond Green became an all-star because he had the right guys around him and was the perfect fit for his team.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying “fit” matters in the NBA. Every single player in the NBA is an incredible talent. What separates the rotation players from the D-Leaguers is fit. And because of that, Rakeem Christmas has a chance at Rookie of the Year, despite his second-round draft position and incredible odds against him.

Hear me out before you decide I’m a crazy, biased, homer. Just look at these five points/facts/biased opinions/etc:

Other

18218190-mmmain.jpg

WNY's National Comedy Center Plan for Holograms of Late Comics Is No Joke (PS; AP)

Did you hear the one about Bob Hope, Rodney Dangerfield and Andy Kaufman performing on the same stage?

It might not be a joke once the National Comedy Center opens its doors.

Plans for the museum in an out-of-the-way city in western New York include a hologram comedy club that will put visitors in the audience for classic routines of comedic legends. Developers aren't ready to release the "performers" yet but say dozens of the late greats are in the mix.

It's all part of a plan to ask not just what's so funny, but why.

The center planned in Lucille Ball's hometown fulfills the late comedienne's wishes that humor in general be honored, not just her, daughter Lucie Arnaz said.

"She didn't want anything like a statue or something sort of dead or lifeless," Arnaz said by phone from California.

In this June 26, 2015 photo, a banner hangs outside the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum in Ball's hometown of Jamestown, N.Y.Carolyn Thompson | AP

By propsing a rule, doesn't that mean there is no rule?
They should just call it the 'Syracuse Rule', since it addresses the problems they ran into in their disastrous Syracuse investigation, where 99% of the NCAA case against Syracuse was based on academic integrity issues, an area where the NCAA by it's own bylaws has no jurisdiction.

Each investigation the NCAA attempts results in more embarrassment for the organization.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom