Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
d5b28da5a5a099da7d59daac3340f94a.jpg

Welcome to National Meteor Watch Day!

SU News

31291841-738x420.jpg

Tyus Battle Updates Recruitment, After Shaky Start Plays Well at Nike Basketball Academy (umhoops.com; Burkhardt)

Tyus Battle returned to the court over the weekend at the Nike Basketball Academy, playing competitively for the first time in months.

Of more note to Michigan fans might be the fact that he finally spoke publicly about his decommit to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. and also changed his Twitter profile and removed the phrase “MICHIGAN COMMIT” and a photoshopped picture of himself in a Michigan jersey.

“My whole family just wanted to look at other schools and other options,” Battle explained. “I still really like Michigan a lot. I’m just looking at other schools and other options.”

“Everything is open,” Battle said.

With one official visit remaining, there’s a possibility he opts to take another trip, but he’s yet to make that decision.

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I’m going to talk to my parents and decide from there.”

Syracuse is technically out of scholarships after landing a commitment from Providence transfer Paschal Chukwu, but is expected to continue recruiting in the class of 2016. Reports are that Battle was somewhat rusty during the Nike event, but he heated up on Sunday evening according to a tweetby Evan Daniels.

-b97d5fc0b0e2d691.jpg

Orange Watch: New AD Mark Coyle Brings Critical Fresh Perspective to Syracuse (sujuiceonline.com; Bierman)

Item: What a past week! Incoming athletic director Mark Coyle and his family were introduced with great fanfare as they initiate the process of transplanting from Boise to Syracuse. There was the family’s personal tour of the school’s 36 year old signature athletics facility from new university VP, chief campus facilities officer Pete Sala, a Carrier Dome building that needs to be upgraded with contemporary fan-friendly features (individual seats), while increasing its revenue-producing abilities within the existing square-footage (that is unless a funding source can be found for a new facility). The week ended with the brilliant move of Chancellor Kent Syverud by officially taking one highlighted item off of the new AD’s hefty checklist, authorizing the head coaching progression plan from Jim Boeheim to Mike Hopkins.

Now, in less than a week, the process begins. As he did at Boise State after arriving in 2011, Mark Coyle is going to be officially starting his work as AD next Monday posing many questions to quite a few people and doing a lot of listening over the summer, formulating his plans as he looks over the budgets and his department staff flow chart in getting his feet on the ground running, because he knows the 61 day time period will zip by before Rhode Island will be in the Dome teeing it up for Scott Shafer’s third season the Friday evening of Labor Day weekend (Sept. 4 – 7:00 p.m. ET / ESPN3).

The initial comments that stood out to these ears during the introductory press conference event was the quick response Coyle made to reinforce his candidacy to exactly the right HR executive (Chicago-based Glenn Sugiyama, EVP and head of DHR International’s Sports Practice Group) when learning of the vacancy, and his outsider viewpoint of what the job meant to him not only professionally within the Div. I fraternity of senior athletic management executives, but also as a message to the local fan base, the majority of whom often lose sight of the reverse perspective of ‘Cuse athletics on an out-of-market level.

Other

18225143-mmmain.jpg

Hotel Syracuse: This Time You Can Believe It; The 'Old Girl' is Coming Back (PS; Kirst)

Thursday's news conference at the Hotel Syracuse was billed as a chance to applaud a major announcement: The Marriott will be the flagship affiliate. Its name will be on the marquee, over the front door, once the place opens.

That didn't fully explain the electricity of the event, the quality that caused hotel developer Ed Riley to offer an emotional toast that night in a downtown pub. The celebration involved a truth vibrating through the 91-year-old building, even if no one exactly put it in these words:

After so many failed starts over the years, this restoration of the Hotel Syracuse is really going to happen, and it's going to happen because M&T Bank — a lender hurt in the past by a botched hotel reclamation plan, a lender with every reason to be cynical — is putting its faith in this newest vision for restoration.

The measure of that faith is a new loan for tens of millions of dollars.

That's why one of the most revered landmarks in Syracuse — an architectural leviathan whose sheer scope had thwarted effort after effort to save it, over the years —will actually reopen, possibly as soon as next spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom