Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2-emma-nutt.jpg

Welcome to Emma M Nutt Day!

Emma M. Nutt Day celebrates the first woman telephone operator in America.

Emma Nutt became the first woman telephone operator on September 1, 1878. She loved the job, and worked at it for 33 years.

This special day celebrates the world of telephone operators. It was a very important job for many decades. Today, the position has been eliminated being replaced by automation in telephone systems.

A little side note about Emma: According to Emma, she was "very thankful that my first name was not Imma".

SU News

Moyer_Battle.0.0.png

The Future of Syracuse Basketball: Battle and Moyer

Syracuse Elite Camp Recap (TNIAAM; Szuba)

Last week the Syracuse Orange coaching staff hosted its elite basketball camp where top talent comes to compete. There were a mix of players who have already committed to Syracuse, who have been offered or who are still in the hunt for a scholarship. We highlight the players below:

2016 Class: Tyus Battle, Matthew Moyer

Tyus Battle (@kidmamba23): Battle committed to Syracuse back in July. By now, Syracuse fans are aware of Battle and what he brings to the table.

Matthew Moyer (@matthewmoyer13): Moyer committed to Syracuse this time last year after the Elite Camp. Since then, Moyer has probably been Syracuse's biggest advocate and unofficial recruiter.

2017 Class: Lonnie Walker, Quade Green, Andre Rafus, Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, Malik Zachery

Lonnie Walker (@lonniewalker_4): Walker is a long, athletic combo guard with a nice shooting stroke. From Reading, PA, Walker is considered the best player in his state for the 2017 class and is ranked 19th in the ESPN 60. He has offers from Indiana, UCLA, Villanova and Oregon.

Quade Green (@Q_Green1): Green attends Neumann-Goretti in Philadelphia. If that sounds familiar, it's because that's the same high school that produced Scoop Jardineand Rick Jackson. Green is an intriguing player as he is only 5-foot-11 but does a lot of things well on the court. Philadelphia is a recruiting hotbed for Syracuse, but the 44th best player in the ESPN 60 holds 31 offers from schools like Louisville, Michigan State, Maryland, Temple and Villanova to name a few.

Andre Rafus (@cantstoprafus): Rafus is a 6-foot-9 forward from Baltimore. Sound somewhat familiar? Rafus is a versatile forward with great athleticism who can step out and make shots. Rafus holds offers from Connecticut, St. John's, Georgetown and Dayton, amongst others.

Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree: Cosby-Roundtree is a 6-foot-8 forward who is teammates with Quade Green at Neumann-Goretti. Cosby-Roundtree has offers from La Salle, Penn State, Rider, St. Joseph's, Temple and Villanova just offered him earlier this month.

S7l1jsD-.jpg

The NCAA Strikes Syracuse Again (thedomedomain.com; Sheridan)

After last year’s disappointing 18-13 season that ended with a self-imposed post season ban and countless NCAA sanctions, the highly touted recruiting class for the 2015-2016 seemed like the light at the end of the tunnel for Syracuse basketball fans. That light just got a little bit dimmer. Recently Syracuse announced that 6-8 power forward Moustapha Diagne will not enroll at Syracuse. The 12th ranked power forward will play at a two-year college, according to a University released statement. The New Jersey Herald reported that the NCAA is determining Diagne’s eligibility due to an issue with a course that he had transferred from his home country of Senegal in 2012. With the NCAA decision still pending, Diagne could not enroll in Syracuse for the start of the year and was forced to enroll in a community college instead. By attending the community college Diagne can return to the United States on a student visa (he has been in Senegal all summer). He could not get a student visa before because the NCAA barred him from attending Syracuse.

Once again the NCAA is doing more harm than good, hurting Diagne’s basketball/academic career and the whole Syracuse basketball team, on a technicality. Diagne now faces a long road in order to ever play Division I basketball (and more importantly earn a four year degree), and that’s if the NCAA will ever allow him to play at all. Meanwhile the Orange frontcourt just got a lot thinner. With a knack for the ball and the ability to clog the paint, Diagne could have filled the void of All ACC Defensive team center Rakeem Christmas. Along with Christmas, the Orange also lost power forward Chris McCullough to the NBA draft. With three forwards gone from the roster there is extensive pressure on veteran center Dajuan Coleman. Being the only real center on the team is pressure enough, but Coleman is also coming off an invasive knee surgery that caused him to miss the whole 2014-2015 season. Coleman will certainly be the go-to guy down low, but will need help from veteran forwards Tyler Roberson and Chinonso Obokoh. Freshman Tyler Lydon will likely play a bigger role then expected. With a lack of experience, the frontcourt will need to collectively take a big step up. Without improvement the team could have trouble competing against dominant ACC big men.

Other

18661030-mmmain.jpg

Lineup for SU Juice Jam 2015 Announced: Includes Matt and Kim, Big Sean, Oliver Heldens and More (PS; Tulloch)

This year's Juice Jam festival at Syracuse University will feature Detroit rapper Big Sean as its headliner. The all-day concert takes place Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015 at Skytop Field.

Apart from Big Sean, the Juice Jam lineup will include EDM artist Oliver Heldens, rapper ILoveMakonnen, alternative pop duo Matt and Kim, indie pop singer BØRNS and EDM artist SNBRN across the festival's two stages.

Doors will open at noon.

The event is open only to those with a valid college, staff or faculty ID. Tickets for Juice Jam are $15 for SU/ESF students with a valid college ID.

Tickets will go on sale on Tuesday, Sept. 1 at 10 a.m., at the Carrier Dome Gate E ticket booth only. Sales will continue from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. daily until Friday, Sept. 11 at 6 p.m., or until the event is sold out.

On Sunday, Aug. 30, Big Sean took home the award for "Video With A Social Message" at the 2015 VMAs for his influential anthem "One Man Can Change The World." Big Sean brought Kanye West and John Legend onto the stage for his emotional speech, which he dedicated to his grandmother, Mildred Virginia Leonard, one of the first female black captains in World War II.

Hey tom, who's the young girl in Orange? And I don't mean that in any creepy way, just curious :)

Hey tom, who's the young girl in Orange? And I don't mean that in any creepy way, just curious :)

It appears she is the main writer on The Dome Domain website - a site I just got very interested in!

It appears she is the main writer on The Dome Domain website - a site I just got very interested in!
Yes, she is the author of the article I linked. I believe she is a journalism major at Newhouse.

Yes, she is the author of the article I linked. I believe she is a journalism major at Newhouse.

Wow little young for me. So this is what it feels like to be one of those creepy old men??

well some exclusive in-the-know posters around here better hurry up and educate her that the NCAA is in no way to blame RE Diagne

well some exclusive in-the-know posters around here better hurry up and educate her that the NCAA is in no way to blame RE Diagne

I don't know that there is a need to start that debate in another thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom