Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Zones6-9.gif

Pecan Trees Grow in Zones 6-9
2314018098_a02b02d073.jpg

Welcome to National Pecan Cookie Day!

Today is National Pecan Cookie Day! Bake a delicious batch of homemade pecan cookies to celebrate.

Pecans, a tree nut in the same family as the walnut, are an excellent source of protein, unsaturated fats, and healthy antioxidants that help reduce cholesterol. There are more than 1,000 varieties of pecan in the world.

Whether you prefer butter pecan, caramel pecan, orange pecan, or maple pecan cookies, enjoy a delicious treat today in honor of National Pecan Cookie Day!

SU News

usa-today-7611176.0.jpg

SU Basketball Regular Season Game Times Released (TNIAAM; Leathersich)

Get out your calendars. Time to pencil in your Syracuse Orange men's hoops viewing parties.

The men's basketball twitter account posted Friday that all the game times have been announced for the 2015-16 regular season.

The most noticeable thing when scrolling through is that the Orange have a hefty amount of games that will be played while the sun is still shining. By my count 14 of the scheduled 30 contests -- not including the potential Battle 4 Atlantis games -- are matinees (also it should be noted that there is some wonky stuff with the schedule: 1) the first UNC game says 2 p.m./8 p.m. so that's still TBD and 2) the final game of the year against Florida State still says the time is TBD so there is the potential for one more).

The two games that might be most disappointing to have in this time slot are against Georgetown and St. Johns; both games are scheduled for a Noon tip-off. Blame conference realignment for this.

Most of the big conference match-ups are during prime time, however.

Check the updated schedule below.

usa-today-7733483.0.jpg

53 Days to B1G Basketball: Penn State Quietly Putting Together a Strong 2016 Recruiting Class (btpowerhouse.com; Steedman)

In case you missed it, which you might have as the news made the rounds this weekend as football approached, but forward Lamar Stevens committed to Penn State. The in-state product is a consensus four star recruit that is also currently a top 100 prospect for 2016 according to all major recruiting services. Not only that, but he decided to head to Penn State over the likes of Pittsburgh, Villanova and Temple, as well as a slew of other recognizable programs such as Maryland, Indiana and Marquette. All in all the addition of Stevens wasn't a bad pick up for Pat Chambers as he quietly builds a strong 2016 recruiting class.

The addition of Stevens makes sense when you look at some of the earlier additions to the Nittany Lions recruiting class. One of Penn State's other 2016 commits, Tony Carr, was an AAU teammate of Stevens and the duo talked about wanting to play college basketball together. Also likely influencing Stevens decision was his teammate Nazeer Bostick, who had committed earlier on to Penn State as well. The news of Stevens' commitment sat well the duo, as Carr mentioned that "I knew a little bit before, but now that it is finally finalized, it’s just great knowing that I will spend four more years with my brothers, not only him, but Nazeer Bostick too."

As for Bostick, he more or less spilled the beans that this was more or less a predetermined idea for the trio. "It feels great having both of my close friends with me...This was kind-of planned and now seeing it come together, it’s the best feeling...I still had faith that my guys would follow me up to Penn State."

What makes the addition of Stevens even more notable is that Penn State actually now has one of the top recruiting classes in the nation for 2016. While it's still early, and there's a lot of main players still deciding on their future colleges, Penn State's 2016 recruiting class jumped up to eighth with the addition of Stevens, sitting behind Duke and Syracuse. The Nittany Lions are also second in the Big Ten, trailing only Michigan State (who is currently ranked 1st by 247Sports).

Other

Buffalo-Bills-Copy.jpg

How Close Did Bills Fans Come to Guinness Workd Record for Crowd Noise Sunday? (PS; Fairburn)

The Kansas City Chiefs' Arrowhead Stadium still holds the record for the loudest crowd at an NFL game.

Buffalo Bills fans raised money to get Guinness World Records to come to the team's Week 2 game against the New England Patriots to measure the crowd noise at Ralph Wilson Stadium. The buildup to the game had them anticipating one of the loudest crowds in the stadium's history, but the sound levels came up just a bit shy of the record.

» Related: Record attempt was "ridiculous"

Chad Walber documented the Bills' effort on Twitter. The highest-recorded decibel level was 124.8 after the Bills scored their second touchdown. The Chiefs set the record at 142.2 decibels a year ago. After New England started to stretch the lead against Buffalo, the crowd quieted considerably, and some fans even left the stadium early.

Here's a rundown of how close the Bills were to the record:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom