Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
6a00d8341c8f0053ef017ee7e58374970d-pi

Welcome to Great American Pot Pie Day!

Great American Pot Pie Day celebrates an American creation that has been around for decades to warm us from the inside out, the Pot Pie. Pot pies are the American answer to British meat pies.

This holiday was created in 2002 by Marie Callender's, a licensed brand of ConAgra Foods. That year, they made a donation for each of their pot pies that were sold during the holiday's date. Originally, it was intended that this holiday be celebrated on the first day of Fall, which in 2002 fell on September 23rd. Though, it appears the September 23rd date for this holiday has stuck as references going back as early as 2007 quote this holiday's date as September 23rd.

SU News

chris.jpg

'Walking on Fire': 8 Months Later, Nets' Big Man Gamble without Timetable (nypost.com; Bontemps)

As Chris McCullough soared through the air to catch a long pass from Syracuse teammate Michael Gbinije for an easy basket last January, he felt his right knee pop.

When he landed, he felt it pop again.

“It happened so fast,” McCullough said recently. “I thought I dislocated my knee, and with that, you can pop it back in. So that’s what I was trying to do, but I couldn’t even move my leg at the time, so after I tried to get up and walk on it, I felt like I was walking on fire.

“That’s when they had to help me.”

Suddenly, the 6-foot-11 freshman, a prized recruit for coach Jim Boeheim’s Orange, found himself facing a lengthy rehab process for a torn ACL. He’s still in the process of recovering eight months later — though he’s now getting paid for it, having been drafted by the Nets with the No. 29 pick in June’s draft.

“It’s a long process,” McCullough said. “I’m still nowhere near ready. You’ve just got to mentally lock in and be ready to do what you’ve got to do. That’s where I’m at right now.”

McCullough and the Nets have avoided setting any dates for a return, saying the possibility of him sitting out the entire season exists, though it seems more likely he will make his professional debut in the second half of the season.

Other

18815107-mmmain.jpg

Judge Rules 'Happy Birthday' Song is in Public Domain, Free of Copyright (PS; AP)

The music publishing company that has been collecting royalties on the song "Happy Birthday To You" for years does not hold a valid copyright on the lyrics to the tune that is one of the mostly widely sung in the world, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.

U.S. District Judge George H. King determined the song's original copyright, obtained by the Clayton F. Summy Co. from the song's writers, only covered specific piano arrangements of the song and not its lyrics. The basic tune of the song, derived from another popular children's song, "Good Morning to All," has long been in the public domain.

King's decision comes in a lawsuit filed two years ago by Good Morning To You Productions Corp., which is working on a documentary film tentatively titled "Happy Birthday." The company challenged the copyright now held by Warner/Chappell Music Inc., arguing that the song should be "dedicated to public use and in the public domain."

"Because Summy Co. never acquired the rights to the 'Happy Birthday' lyrics, defendants, as Summy Co.'s purported successors-in-interest, do not own a valid copyright in the Happy Birthday lyrics," King concluded in his 43-page ruling.

The lawsuit also asked for monetary damages and restitution of more than $5 million in licensing fees it said in 2013 that Warner/Chappell had collected from thousands of people and groups who've paid to use the song over the years.

So, now the waiters in restaurants will be able to gather round and sing Happy Birthday, not some stupid thing they made up.

I have lived in the south for 25 years and I've never heard of Bojangles until we joined the ACC. What?? Never driven by one, never been in one, hell I'm only guessing it is a food place, but I don't know for sure. I mean what is this some place that has three stores in Durham and that's it?? Makes the ACC look very very small time if you ask me. But you didn't, so whatever.