Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
veterans-day-honoring-all-who-served-graphic.jpg

Welcome to Veterans Day!

Veterans Day is an official United States public holiday, observed annually on November 11, that honors military veterans, that is, persons who served in the United States Armed Forces. It coincides with other holidays, including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I; major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. The United States previously observed Armistice Day. The U.S. holiday was renamed Veterans Day in 1954.

Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day; Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who gave their lives and those who perished while in service.

Today is also the initial day of the early signing period for college basketball. Matthew Moyer and Tyus Battle are expected to sign letters of intent to attend Syracuse...

SU News

-334daac00758afd6.jpg

How Tyus Battle's Road to Elite Status Began with Ice Cream (PS; Waters)

Ice cream.

The dedication, drive and determination that it took for Tyus Battle to become one of the highest-rated high school recruits in the 2016 class all started with ice cream.

Young Tyus, about 5 or 6 years old, liked baseball. His father, Gary, had been a standout basketball player at Colonia High School in Woodbridge, N.J., and had gone onto play at the University of New Haven.

"I liked baseball, but my dad really wanted me to play basketball,'' Tyus recalled. "If I did 15 minutes of ball-handling, he would take me out to get ice cream. If I practiced shooting, he took me for ice cream. That really started it 'cause I liked ice cream.''

Today, Battle is an 18-year-old senior at St. Joseph's High School in Metuchen, N.J. Battle, who was also recruited by Duke, Louisville and Michigan, is expected to sign a national letter of intent to play at Syracuse University on Wednesday, the first day in the NCAA's week-long signing period.

And while he still likes ice cream, his dedication, drive and determination to be an elite level basketball player dominate his young life.

For the past three years, Battle rose every day at 5:30 a.m. and rode a bus for over an hour to get to his former high school; Gill St. Bernard's School in Gladstone, N.J. After school and basketball practice, he would finally return home at 8 p.m.

GettyImages-495408076.0.jpg

SU Basketball Critical Hair Show Updates: Malachi's Pre-Sideshow Bob, Lydon's Headband (TNIAAM; Keeley)

If you've followed this site long enough, you know that the only thing more important than whether or not the Syracuse Orange basketball team is winning is what the hair on the head and faces of Orange players is doing.

We've witnessed so many wonderful 'dos from Andy Rautins' fauxhawk to Paul Harris's froto James Southerland's Amish beard to Brandon Triche's Triangle of Doom. And none of this takes into account the treasures that are Fab Melo's facial hair, C.J. Fair's headband and whatever the hell is happening on Trevor Cooney's neck.

This season has the potential to be an all-timer in terms of hairstyles and headwear.

We begin where we should, with the wonderful flat top/Sideshow Bob-in-the-making that Malachi Richardson is bringing with him this season.

It's very early but I feel like we're just scratching the surface and before we know it, he'll reach Sideshow Malachi status. Keep growing. Please keep growing.

With that hair stealing the show, it'd be easy to forget about what Frank Howard is up to as well.
GettyImages-495408080.0.0.jpg

Other

syracuse-inner-harbor-mastejpg-81e66ad48cc0c682.jpg

Master Plan for Development of Inner Harbor

Syracuse Inner Harbor Developer Seeks 15-Year Tax Deal (PS; Moriarty)

COR Development Co. is seeking 15 years worth of tax exemptions from a county agency for its planned $324 million development of the Syracuse Inner Harbor into a residential, retail, office and hotel attraction.

COR officials presented their request to the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency Tuesday for a deal that would give the company a full exemption from taxes on each building in the development for five years, followed by declining partial exemptions for the next 10 years.

The deal, if approved, would exceed the agency's standard "community benefit" tax exemption policy, which provides 12 years of property tax exemptions for qualifying projects. Under the standard policy, a project gets a full exemption from property taxes for three years, followed by nine years of partial exemptions.

Maggie Truax, a spokeswoman for the Fayetteville-based COR, said the company is seeking a 15-year deal so that it can attract long-term commercial tenants to the development. She said the savings the company gets from the deal would be passed on to tenants through their leases.

She said the deal would not apply to a 134-room Aloft Hotel that is already under construction at the harbor and is scheduled to open in May. COR said last year that it would not seek any special tax exemptions for the Aloft.

Last edited:
That was a great article. Tyus seems like a great kid. Needless to say, can't wait until he gets here. Hey I have a weakness when it comes to ice cream myself.

Trevor Cooney, Syracuse

Cooney is a guy that has a pretty polarizing reputation among Syracuse fans. On one hand, he's a better all-around player than he gets credit for. Plus, he was at least a constant on a team that really went through some troubles last season with consistency. On the other side of things though, he was often a player that was miscast as a top option on the perimeter, and his shooting percentages took the brunt of that toll. A renowned sharp-shooter, Cooney only made 30.9 percent of his 3s last season as he was forced to take some tougher shots. With the Orange having better options from the perimeter in a year-older and more experienced Michael Gbinije along with Malachi Richardson and Tyler Lydon, Cooney should be able to get back to more of a complimentary role as a shooter and smart passer who can also do a good job of defending in the Cuse zone.