Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
12_01_14_asinorum_day_01.jpg

Welcome to Feast of the Ass Day!

The Feast of the Ass (Latin: Festum Asinorum or asinaria festa, French: Fête de l'âne) was a medieval, Christianfeast observed on January 14, celebrating the Flight into Egypt. It was celebrated primarily in France, as a by-product of the Feast of Fools celebrating the donkey-related stories in the Bible, in particular the donkey bearing the Holy Family into Egypt after Jesus's birth.[1]

History[edit]
This feast may represent a Christian adaptation of the pagan feast, Cervulus, integrating it with the donkey in the nativity story.[2] In connection with the Biblical stories, the celebration was first celebrated in the 11th century, inspired by the pseudo-Augustinian "Sermo contra Judaeos" c. 6th century.

In the second half of the 15th century, the feast disappeared gradually, along with the Feast of Fools, which was stamped out around the same time. It was not considered as objectionable as the Feast of Fools.[3]

SU News

19545296-standard.jpg

Photo Gallery of Syracuse Victory Over Lowly Boston College (PS; Axe)

BC play-by-play voice Jon Meterparel told me on radio Wednesday that he feared Tyler Roberson could have a big game because the Eagles, who lack a true power forward and employ a smaller lineup. 
Fears confirmed, Jon. Roberson went out and dropped 10 points and 12 rebounds on the Eagles, a number that could have swelled had he not picked up a fourth foul. 
"Plugged-in Robey" was active throughout the game and cashed in his chances around the basket, which isn't always a given with him.
Don't look now, but Roberson is starting to put together a string of consistent performances.

ACC News

15224060-1452708377-640x480.jpg

Clemson Upsets #9 Duke 68-63 (wralsportsfan.com)

The Clemson Tigers (11-6, 4-1 ACC) forced 13 Duke turnovers and prevented the Blue Devils from going to the free throw line for the most of the night as they completed the upset of the No. 9 ranked team, 68-63.

Duke's (14-3, 3-1 ACC) Grayson Allen led all scorers with 17 points ad Brandon Ingram added 16, although he played the majority of the game in foul trouble. Clemson was led by Jaron Blossomgame who poured in 17 points with 6 rebounds. Landry Nnoko had a 12-and-13 double-double.

2:52 2nd: Clemson 62, Duke 55: Clemson's lead is now 7 after a Blossomgame 3-pointer and the Tigers have the Blue Devils on the ropes at he final media timeout.

5:39 2nd: Clemson 57, Duke 54: Clemson has taken a 3-point lead on Duke as the Blue Devils have found themselves in foul trouble, unable to get to the line and forced into committing 13 turnovers.

Chase Jeter fouled out with 0 points on 0 FG attempts. Brandon Ingram and Marshall Plumlee are each playing with 4 fouls. Duke also has 13 turnovers and is 0-for-2 from the FT line for the game.

Bringing a Buzz Back to Blacksburg (myajc.com; Feinstein)

Buzz Williams isn't kidding -- even a little bit -- when he says, "What I've been able to do at this point in my life goes well beyond my dreams."

He isn't talking about money, although he's being paid quite well these days to coach Virginia Tech's basketball team, which gave him the first significant win of his time in Blacksburg 70-68 over No. 4 Virginia on Jan. 4. He isn't even talking about the three straight trips to the Sweet 16 at Marquette, the last one culminating in the Elite Eight. And he isn't bragging, because that's not what he does.

He's just remembering.

"Part of me has always felt like I was the underdog, regardless of circumstances," Williams said Friday. "I haven't forgotten that I came from a town [in Texas] with a population of 1,000 people, paid my way to go to junior college [Navarro] and was the basketball manager there.

"I mean, I should not have gotten the Marquette job when I did. I'd been there for seven months, I had one year of experience as a head coach and my record had been 14-17. It took a good deal of audacity for them to hire me at that point.

Other

19539905-mmmain.jpg

These are logos that "The Daily Show" prepared for the village of Whitesboro's vote on whether to replace its logo. From left, the logos include former NHL goalie Robert Esche, who lives in the Whitesboro area; a white man and a Native American wrestling and a white settler and an Indian beating up a British soldier.

Whitesboro Mayor Speaks Out on Why Village Used 'The Daily Show' Logo Designs (PS; Doran)

With national attention now focused on the Oneida County community of Whitesboro and its controversial village seal, Mayor Patrick O'Connor has responded with a statement on why "The Daily Show" was involved with designing possible replacement seals.

Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" provided both serious and "mock" designs of possible village logos to Whitesboro for the village's informal poll on replacing its current seal that many have criticized as being "racist" and "offensive."

The current seal includes a Native American and an early settler with the settler's hands around the other man's neck or shoulders.

The debate over the seal has been reported in media across the country. Jimmy Kimmel mentioned the controversy on his late-night national show Tuesday night.

The current Whitesboro village seal.Provided photo

Whitesboro residents voted Monday night to keep the original seal. Of 212 votes cast, 157 of them were in favor of retaining the current seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom