For Cord Cutters (Antenna) | Syracusefan.com

For Cord Cutters (Antenna)

I bought this and get 60+ channels. Also greatly depends on your location though.

amazon link not working for some reason.

Yep. In my experience, unless you live out in the boonies or inside a nuclear bunker, you probably don't need to spend that much on a digital antenna. I bought one of the basic Mohu models for $20 and I get everything in crystal clear HD. Better quality on the FTA channels than anything I used to get when I had cable.

I bought this and get 60+ channels. Also greatly depends on your location though.

amazon link not working for some reason.
Is range to 50 miles pretty legit?

Yep. In my experience, unless you live out in the boonies or inside a nuclear bunker, you probably don't need to spend that much on a digital antenna. I bought one of the basic Mohu models for $20 and I get everything in crystal clear HD. Better quality on the FTA channels than anything I used to get when I had cable.
Not always true...hills, trees and buildings really complicate the reception.

Plus it depends if your city has VHF HD channels...about 10% out there are VHF

Also, if you are between antennas you might need a rotor...but these new antennas are very small...not like your grandparents pre-cable monster.

Last edited:
Yes I do...picture quality is HD...better than cable and Sat

Yep it's crazy you can tell a difference. The reason is the cable and satellite companies compress the signal.

Seems like it I am pretty close to AC in NJ and I get Philadelphia stations very clear.
You are in a nice reception area...pretty flat down there save for pine trees, tomato farms and dead mobsters.

Do you have an antenna? What is the picture quality with these things?

I live about 20 miles north of downtown Syracuse. The HD antenna that I bought at Lowe's or Home Depot is attached to a pressure-treated 4x4 and sits about 4 feet off the ground. My reception of all the local stations is clear as a bell.

I got the Amazon Basic Antenna (35 mile) for $18. Works great. Hung it on the wail behind a dresser in an upstairs bedroom and all 5 tvs in my house are connected to it. For 2 of my tvs I bought a $20 digital converter box from Walmart so that I could Dvr the free antenna channels.