Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
liberace_2572685k.jpg

Welcome to Liberace Day!

Władziu Valentino Liberace[1][nb 1] (May 16, 1919 – February 4, 1987), mononymously known as Liberace, was an American pianist, entertainer and singer.

A child prodigy and the son of working class immigrants, Liberace enjoyed a career spanning four decades of concerts, recordings, television, motion pictures, and endorsements.

At the height of his fame, from the 1950s to the 1970s, Liberace was the highest-paid entertainer in the world,[4] with established residencies in Las Vegas, and an international touring schedule. Liberace embraced a lifestyle of flamboyant excess both on and off stage, acquiring the sobriquet "Mr. Showmanship".

Liberace was recognized during his career with two Emmy Awards, six gold albums and two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

SU News

CRspzheWwAIRNdf.jpg

Airon Servais

National Signing Day Busy in NE Wisconsin (wbay.com; Schroeder)

National Signing Day was a busy day in Northeast Wisconsin.

Ashwaubenon offensive lineman Airon Servais signed with Syracuse, shunning other scholarship offers to get the best of both worlds.

“A lot of the MAC schools were interested,” Servais said. “I had a lot of interest from the Ivy League schools and everything. I chose Syracuse for its very competitive football and high quality academics as well. It’s just a dream come true. I have been working for this for as long as I have been playing football. For it to actually happen is just amazing.”

Iola-Scandanavia’s Kristian Welch signed with Iowa.

Winnebago Lutheran’s Mitch McFarlane will attend D1-FCS non-scholarship school Drake.

17337346-mmmain.png

Signing Day Emotional for Osceloa's Laderrien Wilson and Devon Clarke (orlandosentinel.com; DelGallo)

Students poured through the doors of Osceola's auditorium Wednesday, filling up seats as they waited for eight of the school's best football players to sign national letters of intent.

Kowboys coach Doug Nichols began the ceremony by telling everyone this was the best football class to ever come through the school.

No. 26 Clarke (6-3, 190) had a similar sentiment. He flip flopped between Oregon State and Syracuse, also with a new coach, Dino Babers.

"I can't even explain how happy I am right now because I'm finally an Orangeman," Clarke said. "I finally get to go up there and show them what I got.

"I love the facilities and the program. I know they had a rough season last season, but the future is bright for us."

Clarke said Syracuse's staff would like to see him play free safety, strong safety and Sam linebacker.

"I'll play anything," he said. "This is a very emotional day because I never thought I would make it this far as a football player. But God blessed me, gave me the skills to participate on the field and blessed me with this offer."

AR-150629671.jpg

Harlem's Josh Black Excited to Sign with Syracuse (wrex.com; Bayne)

The first Wednesday in February marks National Signing Day, a chance for high school athletes to make their college commitments official.

Several athletes from the Rockford area held signing ceremonies. Harlem's Josh Black signed to play football at Syracuse, while his teammate Ryan Kelley signed with Robert Morris. Black is excited to head to upstate New York and the ACC.

"I figured out the right school for me and it was Syracuse," Black said. "I couldn't be any happier. I almost felt like family the whole time. Everything happens for a reason and it worked out that way."

College Football News

syracuse-football-recruits-on-2016-national-signing-day-b5d3a9d014566cab.jpg

Scoop Bradshaw

Capsule Reports on Every ACC Football Team (PS; AP)

Here are the signing day capsules for Atlantic Coast Conference teams:

BOSTON COLLEGE

Top 25 Class: No

Best in class:
QB Anthony Brown, from Holmdel, New Jersey, will need to come through for the Eagles if they are going to turn things around long-term. BC turned to fourth-string walk-on John Fadule after Darius Wade broke his ankle in Week 3; Jeff Smith picked up a concussion and missed a month.

Best of the rest: WR Kobay White of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, was a three-time all-state selection.

Late addition: TE Korab Idrizi From Fort Lee, New Jersey, changed his mind after initially deciding on Rutgers.

Two that got away: After defensive coordinator Don Brown left BC for Michigan, DB/QB Da'vante Cross decommitted from the Eagles. Cross will play quarterback at Virginia instead.

How they'll fit in: The five offensive linemen in the recruiting class — including Eastern Illinois transfer Jimmy Lowery — could help return BC to its roots as an incubator of NFL blockers.

CLEMSON

Top 25 Class: Yes.

Best in class: Dexter Lawrence, DE, Wake Forest, North Carolina. Lawrence picked Clemson over Florida State, Florida, Georgia and Notre Dame.

ACC Football Recruiting Team Capsules (usetoday.com)

Here are the signing day capsules for Atlantic Coast Conference teams:

BOSTON COLLEGE

Top 25 Class: No

Best in class: QB Anthony Brown, from Holmdel, New Jersey, will need to come through for the Eagles if they are going to turn things around long-term. BC turned to fourth-string walk-on John Fadule after Darius Wade broke his ankle in Week 3; Jeff Smith picked up a concussion and missed a month.

Best of the rest: WR Kobay White of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, was a three-time all-state selection.

Late addition: TE Korab Idrizi From Fort Lee, New Jersey, changed his mind after initially deciding on Rutgers.

Two that got away: After defensive coordinator Don Brown left BC for Michigan, DB/QB Da'vante Cross decommitted from the Eagles. Cross will play quarterback at Virginia instead.

How they'll fit in: The five offensive linemen in the recruiting class — including Eastern Illinois transfer Jimmy Lowery — could help return BC to its roots as an incubator of NFL blockers.

UConn Blog Thinks SU Recruits Who Lost Their Offers with the New Staff Were Flipped (theuconnblog.com)

Two prospects who were previously committed to Syracuse have signed with the UConn Huskies today.

Noel Brouse
Brouse had originally committed to Syracuse back in June but de-committed after head coach Scott Shafer was fired. He then committed to Villanova, but the pledge was short-lived as he committed to UConn about a week later after making an official visit.

Bob Diaco likes his recruits to have some size, and Brouse certainly fits the bill. Listed at 6-foot-6, 255 lbs, the Allentown, PA native brings a nastiness to the field that is great to have in a defensive lineman. He still needs to build up some strength and work on his footwork, but holding his space appears to be one of his strengths.

Brouse played in the Blue/Gray All-American Game in his senior year, and was also named first-team all-state in Pennsylvania.

I don't often say this, but this is a Bud column worth reading. I am afraid however that most of the credit goes to the interviewee, not the interviewer.

Dino is going to be a joy for the media to cover. I liked Coach Marrone and Coach Shafer a lot, but from the perspective of the media, this has to be a wonderful change.

With JB and Dino, we have to have two of the most interesting and quotable HCs around...

I don't often say this, but this is a Bud column worth reading. I am afraid however that most of the credit goes to the interviewee, not the interviewer.

Dino is going to be a joy for the media to cover. I liked Coach Marrone and Coach Shafer a lot, but from the perspective of the media, this has to be a wonderful change.

With JB and Dino, we have to have two of the most interesting and quotable HCs around...

I meant to comment on this column last night. I totally agree. That's impressive that even Bud couldn't make Dino seem unlikable.

sutomcat said:
I don't often say this, but this is a Bud column worth reading. I am afraid however that most of the credit goes to the interviewee, not the interviewer. Dino is going to be a joy for the media to cover. I liked Coach Marrone and Coach Shafer a lot, but from the perspective of the media, this has to be a wonderful change. With JB and Dino, we have to have two of the most interesting and quotable HCs around...

Bud is being knocked off his feet by this coach. His ego is being properly massaged.

The last line of the article is just so GREAT.

"Those are some great questions. If I show up in some newspaper article and everybody's ripping my tail, I'm coming for you. Have a blessed day."

Bud we can be friends, but don't F me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom