Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Chinese%20language.jpg

Welcome to UN Chinese Language Day!

UN Chinese Language Day is observed annually on April 20.[1] The event was established by the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)[not in citation given]in 2010 to seeking "to celebrate multilingualism and cultural diversity as well as to promote equal use of all six of its official working languages throughout the organization". April 20 was chosen as the date for theChinese language "to pay tribute to Cang Jie, a mythical figure who is presumed to have invented Chinese characters about 5,000 years ago".[2]

SU News

5716eb66f3471.image.jpg

Farrell High Product Rob Trudo is on the NFL's Radar for Upcoming Draft (sharonherald.com; Farrell)

Okay, so the National Football League draft takes place next Thursday-Saturday in Chicago. It’s an annual rite of spring and a potentially life-altering experience for dozens of young men across the country.

But if and when his phone rings there’s a good chance Robert Trudo will not be able to immediately answer; you see, he’ll be in class at Syracuse University, working on his masters degree.

“I’ll have my phone with me,” he admitted. “ ... The faculty’s very understanding. I’m sure (his professor) will understand if my phone starts ringing 10 times, I’ll be able to get out of class ... “

And celebrate?

“Nah. I’ll probably go back to class,” Trudo related. “I probably won’t call anybody, maybe just send out a couple texts to my mom, dad, brother sister, maybe send out some tweets.”

The Farrell High product is hoping to complete his masters degree (with one final on-line course) in instructional design by early July –– fortuitous timing because NFL camps open later that month. And there’s a good chance Trudo will be in one of them.

The 6-foot-4 Trudo is hoping to weigh approximately 305 pounds by the time teams’ OTAs begin later this spring. His stellar Syracuse University career included 4 letters, 44 starts – at both center and guard – and numerous academic honors from the Big East and Atlantic Coast conferences.

CP99rosUYAAMUJU.jpg

2019 CB Moses Douglass Receives Syracuse Offer (At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.; Greene)

Springfield defensive back Moses Douglass is one of the top 2019 defensive back prospects in the state of Ohio, and college recruiters are well aware of his talents.

The son of former NFL player and current Springfield head coach Moe Douglass, the younger Douglass was recently offered by Syracuse, bringing his scholarship total to five.

"Moses was offered by Syracuse Monday evening," Moe Douglass stated. "He was offered by assistant coach Tom Kaufman, who recruits our area for Syracuse."

"Moses was very excited to hear he had received an offer from such a great school," he added.

In addition to Syracuse, Douglass also holds offers from Cincinnati, Kentucky, Bowling Green and Toledo.

AR-160429972.jpg&q=70&stamp=&maxw=726

St Anselm College Hires Former Syracuse Coach Joe Adam (unionleader.com; Staff)

One month after firing Patrick Murphy, St. Anselm College announced Tuesday its new head football coach.

Joe Adam, who recently served as the offensive line coach at Syracuse University, becomes the school’s fourth head coach since the program was reinstated in 1999.

Adam has over 20 coaching years of experience.

He was a coach of two NCAA Division II National Championships. Adam coached at Western Michigan University and Grand Valley State, winning two national titles with the Lakers. One of those seasons, in 2003, was under head coach Brian Kelly, now the head coach at Notre Dame.

Adam also spent eight seasons at Elmhurst (Ill.) College, serving as the head coach in 2013 before moving on to Syracuse.

Adam was the defensive coordinator in 2012 when the Bluejays earned their first conference championship in 22 years. That program qualified for the NCAA Division III playoffs for the first time.

“Joe brings a wealth of college coaching experience — having spent time at all levels, Division I, II and III,” said St, Anselm Director of Athletics Daron Montgomery in a news release.. “He has worn many hats as a coordinator, position coach and head coach, something we believe has prepared him well for this opportunity.”

Other

20166473-mmmain.jpg

Chancellor Syverrud Thinks the New NY Budget is Good for CNY (PS; Syverud)

Syracuse University's 162nd Commencement takes place next month in the Carrier Dome.

I am preparing for commencement by looking through our history. This year marks the 30th anniversary of Gov. Mario Cuomo's 1986 commencement address. As the Syracuse Herald-Journal printed at the time, Gov. Cuomo's remarks encouraged our students "to triumph over circumstances" as he spoke of "his mother's dreams in coming to America."

During my time as chancellor I have heard accounts of his tireless efforts to improve the lives of New Yorkers. Gov. Cuomo was also a friend to the university. He shared in joyous moments beyond commencement, such as celebrating with our 1987 football team after an undefeated season. He was also here in deep sorrow when he spoke at a 1989 memorial service for the students lost in the PanAm 103 tragedy.

Mario Cuomo died earlier this year. In many ways, his son Andrew, our governor, has faced even greater challenges, particularly in Upstate New York. When Gov. Andrew Cuomo took office in 2010, it was after decades of inaction in addressing the real economic issues the region faced. Among the many challenges were high taxes, job losses, and lack of investment in the people of Upstate.

https://accsports.com/teams/wake-forest/stones-commitment-uva-impacts-wake-recruiting/

Wake Forest’s logjam at quarterback is causing the Demon Deacons trouble on the 2017 recruiting trail. Lindell Stone, the nation’s No. 14 pro-style quarterback in the 2017 class according to 247Sports’ composite rankings, is the latest Wake Forest target to commit elsewhere, announcing for Virginia.

Stone follows other Deacon targets who have committed to other programs in April: Tommy DeVito (Syracuse), Tanner Morgan (Western Michigan) and Kasim Hill (Maryland). Local product Hendon Hooker of Greensboro committed to Virginia Tech at the end of March.

The Deacons have put a lot of effort into Taylor Powell of Fayetteville, Arkansas, but his MVP performance at the Nike+ The Opening regional event in New Orleans may bring the interest from more high profile programs he’s looking for.

Powell has offers from Vanderbilt, Illinois, Purdue, San Diego State and Washington State. However, he is hoping for some SEC offers, such as Missouri, Arkansas and Alabama.

That might leave the Deacons looking at a longer-shot QB, perhaps a dual-threat player who could move to another position if he doesn’t work as a quarterback.

Wake Forest currently has junior John Wolford and sophomore Kendall Hinton battling for the starting spot. Redshirt freshman Kyle Kearns was ranked the No. 23 pro-style quarterback coming out of high school, and freshman early enrollee Jamie Newman, who will likely redshirt, was the No. 16 dual-threat quarterback. It’s difficult for a recruit to see an immediate path to playing time.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
Syracuse coach Dino Babers goes on the ACC teleconference in about 15 minutes. It'll be his first time speaking publicly since the stabbing.

Babers says players did a "fantastic" job this spring learning systems. He expects players to keep working hard over the summer.

Babers declines to name a goal for this season, but points to improvement at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green.

Babers understands running the hurry-up spread offense will be tougher against ACC competition. Providing measured answers as usual.

Babers confirms that there was a team meeting, but says information about not wearing Syracuse gear inaccurate.

Babers says he told the Syracuse team to wear its gear proudly. Reiterates Winfield is out of hospital, Scissum will hopefully be soon.

Babers says 8 a.m. Tuesday meeting happens regularly. "I told those guys to have common sense with things they do in life."

Babers on people close with Naesean Howard reportedly looking for SU players: "You can't live life looking over your shoulder."

Babers declines to name a starting quarterback. Would be absolutely shocked if it isn't Eric Dungey.

One more note from Babers: He did visit both Scissum and Winfield at the hospital. Agian, Winfield is out; Scissum hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:
Syracuse Football ‏@CuseFootball
.@CoachBabersCuse up next on @theACCfootball spring teleconference. Follow along for updates!

Teleconference is running about 10 minutes behind. @CoachBabersCuse up after Louisville's Bobby Petrino.

Babers on spring practice: "The spring period was a rebirth. I thought they did a fantastic job and put their best foot forward."

Babers on Winfield/Scissum: "Both are doing well. Corey's been released (from hospital). Hopefully Chauncey will be released this weekend."

Last edited:
Matt Schneidman ‏@matt_schneidman
Babers on not giving Naesean Howard walk-on option: Everybody has the right to change, but patterns are something you try to stay away from.

Babers confirms parking lot meeting with Naesean Howard. Says background check for walk-ons wasn't met for him.

Babers says he actually told the team to wear their Syracuse gear proudly in public. Adds that Chauncey Scissum is still in hospital.

Babers said he hopes Scissum gets out of the hospital later this week.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--April-21

- Per USA Today, some APR bonuses for coaches include:
Tim DeRuyter ($110,000), Paul Johnson ($100,000), Gus Malzahn ($50,000) and Mark Helfrich ($50,000).
In addition, Bobby Petrino will receive a $500,000 bonus for Louisville’s APR higher than 935. He recently received a new deal to pay him an average salary of more than $4 million.