Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
now-that-is-a-hairballhweo.jpg

Welcome to National Hairball Awareness Day!

National Hairball Awareness Day is observed annually on the last Friday in April. This day is listed as one of the Pet Health Awareness Events of the American Veterinary Medical Association. The formation of hairballs is a common feline condition that is brought on by self-grooming and the associated ingestion of hair.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Observe National Hairball Day by becoming educated about this condition. Visit http://www.hillspet.com/our-company/national-hairball-awareness-day.html to learn about things you can do to prevent your cat from developing hairballs. Share your love for your cat using #HairballAwarenessDay on social media. Or wear a hairball on your lapel!

SU News

usa-today-8804604.0.jpg

Analyzing Riley Dixon's Draft Profile (TNIAAM; Gilberg)

Babe Ruth (the character in the movie The Sandlot, not the actual Major League Baseball Hall of Fame inductee and sports icon)once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." And that is what Riley Dixon became in his four-year career at Syracuse, a legend.

Never before in the history of college football has a school become so enamored with a punter–a freaking punter. Due to his penchant for exciting fourth down conversions, Dixon became a cult icon at Syracuse.

The love for Dixon eventually became so infatuating that fans event went as far as promoting a campaign on Twitter, with the hashtag#DixonForHeisman, for him to receive the Heisman Trophy.

But is the love for Dixon justified? And is it enough for the three-year starter to hear his name called during Thursday's NFL Draft? Let's dive into his NFL Draft profile and find out.

Cfr7HxZWwAAjhKy.jpg

Class of 2018 WR Micah Jones

SU Offers Three WRs (the juice; Cheng)

At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Allen Trieu caught up with Gurnee (Ill.) Warren wide receiver Micah Jones, who just recently picked up an offer from Syracuse. “I will try to set up a time to visit,” Jones said. Other schools to offer include Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern and Vanderbilt.

» Related: Spike Albrecht to visit Syracuse after Grant Mullins commits to Cal

Syracuse extended an offer to Philadelphia (PA) native Darryle Simmons, he tweeted on Thursday. The 2018 WR holds offers from Maryland, Penn State and Rutgers, among others.

2017 Georgia wide receiver Chad Terrell tweeted on Thursday that he had a Syracuse offer. Georgia Tech, Illinois and Vanderbilt are among the schools to have previously offered.

Other

13960483-mmmain.jpg

After 37 Years, Syracuse Weatherman Dave Eichorn Gives His Last On-Air Forecast (PS; Coin)

As a kid growing up in Webster, just east of Rochester, Dave Eichorn loved to watch lake effect snowstorms roll in.

"We had a terrific view out over Lake Ontario," Eichorn recalled. "We used to see what looked like a summer thunderstorm coming in, with all those cumulonimbus clouds, and even as a 12-year-old I knew somebody was getting a lot of snow."

That love of lake effect snow led him to become a television meteorologist for more than 30 years. On Friday, he gives his final broadcast at NewsChannel 9, then he's off to finish his Ph.D. at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry.

"It's kind of a bucket list thing," he said. "I'm just doing it because I want to do it. I started and stopped it, and it's just sort of been hanging over my shoulders."

Eichorn has been giving forecasts to viewers since 1979. After graduating from SUNY Oswego, he started his career in Rochester, then moved to Oklahoma and later North Carolina. He came back Upstate in 1990 to work for Channel 9, then left there in 2008 to teach for a few years. He worked for Syracuse Media Group and then returned to Channel 9 in 2014.

Eichorn said he'll be glad to have more time to pursue his degree and spend time with his family, but will miss some parts of his TV job.

"I'll miss the storytelling to viewers, explaining the weather that's coming in an understandable and creative fashion," he said. "It's something I take great pride in."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom