Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2BA72DA100000578-3210389-image-a-27_1440516318230.jpg

Welcome to National Mushroom Hunting Day!
  • If you are new to mushroom hunting, the first thing you need to know is which mushrooms are safe for consumption. Do your homework or go with an experienced hunter.
  • Bring a mushroom field guide along. Always err on the side of caution. If you don’t know what it is, don’t pick it!
  • Know your trees in your neck-of-the-woods.
  • Dress appropriately and wear sunscreen.
  • Bring along plenty of water.
  • Bring your charged cell phone and/or compass or GPS.
  • Know the rules of the land - don’t trespass!
  • Bring along a walking stick.
  • If Fido is along for the ride, keep in mind some mushrooms can be harmful to dogs.
  • Pack a lot of patience.
  • Once you know what to look for and are properly prepared, finding the mushrooms can sometimes be like a treasure hunt or finding a needle in a haystack. But once a prime spot is located, keep it top-secret.
  • Keep your eyes open and be careful where you step.
  • If you find one, you’ll probably find more in the same area.
  • Don’t pull the mushrooms from the ground!
SU News

051216-vr-devito.jpg

Cedar Grove Resident, Don Bosco QB Commits to Syracuse (northjersey.com; Gewelb)

Cedar Grove resident and Don Bosco junior Tommy DeVito has grown into one of the top quarterback recruits in the nation. Even though the Syracuse-bound star played high school football in Bergen County, he'll always be thankful for the start he had in Cedar Grove.

"I've been training in the Cedar Grove Junior Football League since I was younger and I want to thank them for everything," DeVito said.

DeVito trained under athletic trainer Leon Clarke, who the junior credits for his success.

"I learned a lot under him and he really helped me out when I was younger," DeVito said.

After growing up through the Cedar Grove junior football program, he and his parents elected to send him to Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey to continue his football career.

"It's been great," DeVito said of his time at Don Bosco. "Cedar Grove is a great town, but as far as opportunity, you can't ask for a better opportunity than Don Bosco Prep because the connections you make can last a long time."

DeVito became a starter on the varsity team for the first team as a junior in 2015 and excelled, leading Don Bosco to a 9-3 record and a state championship.

Boston-College-Student-Section.jpg

Jimbo Fisher Wants Set ACC Matchups on Rivalry Weekend (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

The FSU coach brings up a question that's not being debated much, but probably should.

Coming out of the ACC spring meetings in Amelia Island, Fla., plenty of folks had things to say about what was/wasn't discussed. One of those folks was Florida State football coach Jimbo Fisher, who talked to ESPN's Andrea Adelson about the potential for an ACC football rivalry weekend.

Fisher, expanding upon that to Adelson:

"... We have quite a few rivalries. It builds tradition. You build history, and how you play your season, how you plan your season, how you gauge your season of working up to it, how you set your timetables. When people know, they set their schedules based off that. They can set vacation, they can set off time. I know I’m going to Florida State-Clemson; I know I’m going to Florida State-Florida; I know I’m going to Florida State-Miami. Think about how many times you have to plan to go to that."

In many ways, he's not wrong. As someone who regularly bitches about scheduling around here, I agree that it would be nice to know your opponents a little bit further out than six months or so before the season. Travel planning is tougher the less notice you have. The SEC and Big Ten lay out schedules years in advance so you can circle the big games. Fisher alludes to this in the piece with Adelson. But it also ignores two critical factors that the ACC deals with which the other power leagues don't:

1. Several ACC teams' biggest rivals are in other conferences (the SEC)
  2. The ACC is the only league that also has to work with an "outside" team's (Notre Dame) schedule
So when you set a "rivalry weekend," are you prioritizing your ACC rivals, or your traditional, non-conference ones? How many "rivalry weekends" are we supposed to have? Does it make the most sense to put ALL the spotlight games on the same weekend?

Other

-9b3163e0d0c09fc4.JPG

Syracuse South Side Residents Express Concerns Over Interstate 81 Project (PS; McAndrew)

Some south side residents said Monday night they were surprised to hear the state Department of Transportation is considering new Interstate 81 on and off ramps at Martin Luther King Boulevard.

And they aren't pleased with the idea.

About 75 people attended a public forum about how the I-81 viaduct replacement project might impact the city's south side. They met at Tucker Missionary Baptist Church, located in the shadow of I-81, about a block away from where the ramps might be created.

The new highway ramps at Martin Luther King Boulevard are but a tiny slice of the billion-dollar I-81 project. The project includes demolition of a mile-long stretch of the elevated section of the highway that runs east of downtown Syracuse and reconstruction of the I-81 and I-690 interchange.

But the new ramps on Martin Luther King Boulevard, which used to be called East Castle Street, are what generated the most discussion Monday as members in the crowd expressed concerns about increased traffic going past an elementary school and residents' houses and churches.

When was the I-81 projected announced?

I-81-History.jpg

1950s.

No decision has been made regarding what to do with the highway through Syracuse going forward yet.

Exit and entrance ramps at Castle St/MSK Blvd would be really convenient for the tens of thousands who regularly use I81 to get to and from that area.

Love this quote:

"I've got something to add about the Meadowlands since we don't have an athletic director right now," Babers said. "I want this to be the last time we ever go to the Meadowlands to play Notre Dame University. The next nine times that we play Notre Dame University, we're playing them in the damn Dome!"​