Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
GreetingCards_650x425.jpg

Welcome to Electronic Greeting Card Day!

Today is national send an electronic greeting card day, so to celebrate this geeky fabulous day, I urge all of you to send a snazzy ecard to your friends, family members, lovers, or co-workers! For traditional, artsy cards that you can personalize with your own message, iCards has a sweet selection. And for something a bit more edgier, there's Wrong Cards and someecards, which are too funny not to send!

SU News

10716419-large.jpg

Former SU Punter Brandon Carney Talks SU Football, Riley Dixon, Marathoning (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse football legend Brendan Carney calls in to chat about Syracuse football and his post-playing career with Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv. The Juice Online Editor in Chief Brad Bierman also calls in to discuss Syracuse lacrosse’s win over Albany.

Wes Cheng: Brendan, I look at the legacy that you left, and part of that is the people that come after you. I see some of the things that Riley Dixon did this season, and I don’t think that happens without you laying the ground work. What do you think of him and do you have any advice to offer him as he makes his way to the NFL?

Brendan Carney: I appreciate you saying that. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet Riley in person, but I have certainly have followed him throughout his career. He’s got a great story coming in as a walk-on and earning a scholarship. I’ve been really impressed with him in all facets of the game. He’s a tremendous punter, but he’s a heck of an athlete. I feel like you could’ve put him out at the slot position and have him make plays. Certainly, very happy for him and for his family that he got drafted by the Broncos.

WC: What do you think of Dino Babers and the new coaching staff?

BC: I really like Coach Babers. I like the staff he’s put together. I love his offense. Syracuse has needed an up-tempo offense like this for a really long time. Playing in the Carrier Dome, they need to air it out 50 times a game. I think we’re going to start to see that. I want to give them time. You look across the landscape these days, and they’re scrutinized after their first year. So I want let him settle in and get his guys in there.

18800481-standard.jpg

Class of 2018 PA S Charlie Katshir Has Interest From Syracuse (pennlive.com; Epler)

Cumberland Valley’s Charlie Katshir picked up his first offer Monday from the University of Virginia, a pivot point for the rising sophomore safety.

“I’m really excited. I love the campus and love the way they practice, hard and fast. They get after it,” Katshir said Monday night. “You can’t pass on the education, too.”

Penn State, Syracuse, and Virginia were the first interested parties for the talented 6-3, 180-pounder. The class of 2018 prospect starred on both sides of the ball for the 2015 Eagles, hauling in 25 passes for 371 yards and six touchdowns during CV’s run to the District 3 Class 4A title.

“Yes, I’ve been hearing that from Penn State and Virginia, like a hybrid type,” said Katshir. “That’s fine with me. I’ll play any position that will help.”

Katshir has been on the move during the spring college football evaluation period with trips to Syracuse (May 13) and multiple stops at Penn State. He traveled to Virginia a few weeks ago.

A Syracuse Perspective on Minnesota's New AD Mark Coyle (dailygopher.com; GoAUpher)

We talk to John Cassillo from Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician to get a Syracuse take on Minnesota's new AD.

The nice thing about Minnesota hiring an AD from another P5 school is that there is an SB Nation blog out there that knows the what the last stop is really like. With Mark Coyle coming to Minnesota from Syracuse, we turned to our friends at Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician to see what Orange fans thought of Coyle. Given the circumstances, it would be completely understandable if the only reaction is " THAT GUY HE WAS TERRIBLE", but TNIAAM manager John Cassillo (@JohnCassillo) is a class act and had some thoughtful responses for us.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Daily Gopher: After Coyle was hired by Syracuse you noted several ways he differed from your previous AD, including a desire to focus on "core fans." Was there anything about either approach that you especially liked or disliked?
John Cassillo: Despite him not being around long enough to truly see this through, he did create a fan council that actively engaged locals, and also set up this whole "No Huddle Tour" this summer to go around the Central New York area with Dino Babers and Jim Boeheim to get fans excited about the present and future. While we have fans all over, the focus still needs to be on local fans as far as football's concerned. Attendance has been bad, and the only way you fix that is by encouraging local, potential ticketholders. This shouldn't be hard with $99 season tickets, but... it is.
TDG: Related to #1, I read your initial reporting on the creation of a Syracuse Fan Council. You seemed excited by this idea and wrote an opinion piece in favor of it before it became official. How has the implementation of the council gone since being announced? Is it something you want to see continued after Coyle's departure?

Mark-Coyle-IMG_7788.jpg

Mark 'Show Me the Money' Coyle's Sudden Departure Leaves a Bad Taste (syracusenewtimes.com; Michael)

Maybe we’re missing something here, but didn’t Mark Coyle have “family reasons” to be in Minnesota last year, too?

Coyle, Syracuse University’s athletic director for exactly 311 days, cited “family reasons” last week when he blindsided the Orange and accepted the athletic director position at the University of Minnesota. At his introductory news conference, Coyle fought back tears as he talked about his family’s Midwest roots and how his daughter sang the Minnesota fight song when she was a toddler.

“I’m hopeful (SU officials) understand what Minnesota meant to me and what this opportunity means for me and my family,” Coyle said.

Fair enough. And let’s for just a minute set aside the classless way in which Coyle bolted SU in the middle of the night without as much a note on the kitchen table.

But if it was really about family, why take the Syracuse job in the first place? If it meant so much to Coyle and his family to be in Minnesota or somewhere in the Midwest, why not wait it out at Boise State, his school before SU, until a job at a Midwest school opened up? If Minnesota is really Coyle’s dream job and his family wants to live there so badly, why didn’t he stay there and continue to work his way up when he was associate athletic director for external relations at Minnesota from 2001 to 2005?

Here’s why: It’s about the money. He left Minnesota for Boise State for more money. He left Boise State for Syracuse for more money. And less than one year after saying he hoped to be at Syracuse for 10 years, Coyle left again for greener pastures — a big raise and a significantly larger athletic department budget.

usa-today-8908476.0.jpg

SU 2016 Opponent Preview: Notre Dame (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

The offseason is knocking on the door of the "100 days until football" mark. And that means the 2016Syracuse Orange season is almost within shouting distance now (relatively, anyway). Lately, we've been previewing our opponents, which are... yup, still incredibly difficult. Each week (roughly), we'll take a look at a team on Syracuse's 2016 schedule. Today, we continue with the:

Notre Dame Fighting Irish
School: University of Notre Dame
Mascot: Fighting Irish
#BRAND Slogan: "A Force for Good"
Alternate #BRAND Slogan Suggestions: "Have You Seen Rudy?" "#BRAND"

Recommended Blog: One Foot Down
Conference: ACC NONE, AND YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM JOIN, YOU HEATHENS
Coach: Brian Kelly, 7th year. You may recall Kelly from our various run-ins with his Cincinnati Bearcats back in the Big East. Since 2010, however, he's been the head man at Notre Dame, where he's gone 3-3 in bowls but 0-2 bowls that really matter to Fighting Irish fans. Since leading the Irish to the BCS National Championship Game following the 2012 season, his teams have dealt with tons of injury misfortune and falling short of expectations. Still, he's gone 27-12 in that stretch, so... far from terrible.
2015 Record: (10-3) (N/A)

Would Could Happen to Syracuse in a Promotion/Relegation College Football Model? (TNIAAM; Menefee)

Picture college football in 2006. Syracuse was in the Big East, the SEC hadn't yet gone on their national championship winning streak, and a playoff seemed like a far away dream. Today, Syracuse is in the ACC, the SEC has won eight of the last 10 national championships, and we're about to enter our third season ending with an FBS-level playoff. So, knowing that things can change pretty drastically in this sport, what might we be looking at in 2026?

Fox Sports' Stewart Mandel has an interesting theory. Citing several factors that could lead to changes in college football conferences, he speculates that the major powerhouses could merge into a 24-team confederation, similar to European soccer leagues. Basically, the biggest names in the game would split off from the NCAA in college football to form their own league of elite members. As you may have guessed, Mandel's confederation proposal has to cut out many Power Five conference schools, and Syracuse doesn't make the cut.

That would leave Syracuse and many other notable schools to possibly group together and form a second-tier league. Of course, That seems a bit unfair.

To fix it, what if we go all-in on the European football (soccer) model, and adopt the promotion-relegation method of dividing top-tier teams from the second-tier?

For those unfamiliar, the method boils down to this: teams can move between the various levels of competition based on their performance year-to-year. The best teams of the lower level of competition can be promoted up a level, while the worst teams at the top level can be relegated down. SB Nation's Bill Connelly has taken a look at how this system would affect college football for the last few offseasons.

Other

Kesha Will Make Chevy Court Debut on 2016 NYS Fair's Opening Night (PS; Tulloch)

Pop megastar Kesha returns to Syracuse this summer for her first ever appearance at Chevy Court on the opening night of the 2016 New York State Fair.

Syracuse.com learned the concert will take place on Thursday, Aug. 25 at 8 p.m., which the NYS Fair confirmed on Tuesday evening.

The rainbow-haired singer/songwriter rose to fame in 2009 after appearing on rapper Flo Rida's hit single "Right Round." (Flo Rida will also appear at NYS Fair's Chevy Court on Sept. 1.)

She went on to become a global star with the pop juggernauts "Tik Tok," "Your Love is My Drug" and "Die Young," plus featured vocals on hits like Pitbull's "Timber."

http://www.syracuse.com/entertainme...state_fairs_opening_night.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom