Three point one four two
Eight five seven one
Three point one four three
One four three
One four three
Three

SU News

T0015027079--825921.JPG

Super 11 Spotlight: Corvin Moment (tcpalm.com; Pfahler)

Vero Beach High School football coach Lenny Jankowski remembers the first time Corvin Moment stepped onto his field like it was yesterday.

Moment's athleticism showed immediately — enough that he was placed at quarterback on the freshman team instead of his preferred role on defense.

"He was not a natural quarterback, but he was a really good athlete and we needed someone like that at that position," Jankowski said. "I don't think quarterback was his favorite thing, but that speaks volumes for his football aptitude."

Now, entering his senior year, Moment — rated No. 3 in the TCPalm Super 11 — is using his versatility to bolster Vero Beach's defense.

At 6-foot-1, 230 pounds, Moment plays an outside linebacker/down safety role and is capable of filling many roles. He earned a spot at cornerback at the beginning of his sophomore year and started every game there before moving to his current position last season. He was a Class 8A honorable mention pick in 2015 after recording 63 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks.

"As a sophomore, he was young and green, but he played phenomenal and made a ton of plays," Jankowski recalled. "Then, last year, he continued to get bigger and stronger in how kids naturally progress, but he's a guy never missed a workout or rep, so he grew to 200-plus pounds, a physical player, so we moved him to a down safety/outside linebacker hybrid position and he's grown into that.

"Again, he's a very good athlete so we feel he can play inside linebacker, strong safety, outside linebacker. He can do all those things. His best quality is he is just a great football player. He's headsy and has a high football IQ and he's grown into being a more natural leader — all those things you look for in a player."

Colleges are recruiting Moment as an inside or outside linebacker or for the nickel position. He's got about a dozen offers from Division I schools such as Louisville, Syracuse and Florida Atlantic.

21066056050_941c917dcb_o-620x264.jpg

BC Student Section

Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview (the juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will continue its 2016 ACC schedule when it plays Boston College on Oct. 22.

OFFENSIVE OFFENSE: Boston College boasted one of the best defenses in the NCAA last season, finishing 11th in overall defense at 324.2 yards allowed per game. The Eagles also held opponents to just 21.3 points per game (21st) and 5.13 yards per play. That should put in perspective how bad the offense was in a dismal 3-9 season. BC finished 83rd in overall offense with 26.2 points per game, mostly because it struggled to throw the ball (129.3 passing yards per game, 122nd in the NCAA). That led to former Virginia Tech offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler taking over for Todd Fitch, BC’s third offensive coordinator in the past four seasons.

» Related: Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview

WHO TO WATCH FOR: Kentucky graduate transfer Patrick Towels will likely be the starter this season, though Darius Wade and John Fadule both started in 2015. Towels started 22 consecutive games for the Wildcats before being benched in favor of a redshirt freshman. He’s thrown for 5,099 passing yards and 24 touchdowns during his career. Defensive coordinator Don Brown left to take the same position at Michigan, but his replacement, Jim Reid, has plenty of talent in his unit. Keep an eye out for senior linebacker Matt Milano, who is on the preseason watch lists for the Butkus and Chuck Bednarik Awards. Last season, he he led the Eagles with 17.5 tackles TFL and 6.5 sacks. Junior defensive end Harold Landry notched 4.5 sacks and 15.5 TFLs in 2015.

Syracuse Football 2016 Position Preview: Offensive Line (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

For months now, we've been previewing the Syracuse Orange football season like it's just around the corner. Well... now it is. As we've done in years' past, we'll preview a different SU position group each week. A couple weeks ago was the the team's collection of wide receivers and tight ends. This week:

Offensive Line

Tackles

Michael Lasker, (Redshirt) Senior

Lasker got some burn over the last couple seasons, but now he's slated to start at the all-important left tackle spot -- a big jump from his previous role. A former JUCO player, he's responded well to the increased quality of play, thought he's also seen his fair share of penalties in limited time on the line. Ultimately, a holding call's inevitable if you're protecting the quarterback well. He'll be instrumental in giving Eric Dungey enough time to throw this fall.

Jamar McGloster, (Redshirt) Junior

At 6-foot-7 and 328 pounds, McGloster's one of the roster's larger players on the roster. He'll need that size given the quality of defensive lines Syracuse goes up against this year. It'll also assist him in making up for a lack of experience this far. McGloster is one of three new starters on the line (he's only played in six games before this), and it'll be interesting to see how and he the other newcomers adjust to the jump. He's a potential left tackle candidate next year, but that depends on his 2016 performance too.

Cody Conway, Sophomore

Like a lot of the other linemen, Conway's already started to drop a little weight to keep up with the proposed speed of Dino Babers's offense. One of the members of the exciting 2015 O-line class, he was the only one of the five to get immediate playing time last year -- something that should help him take on an increased role this year. The current depth chart's fluid, so we'll see if he stays as a reserve left tackle. There's an outside chance Conway's starting come September.

ACC adjusts to influx of new coaches (courier-journal.com; Greer)

Paul Johnson sat down Thursday morning here at the Westin and looked around at the 14 coaches gathered for a photo at the ACC Football Kickoff, the annual two-day media event that symbolizes the start of a new season.

There were four new faces among the coaches - Miami's Mark Richt, Syracuse's Dino Babers, Virginia's Bronco Mendenhall and Virginia Tech's Justin Fuente - and that made Johnson's mind wander.

"There's nobody there that was there when I came into the league. It's kind of the profession," said Johnson, who is entering his ninth season at Georgia Tech. (He later noted that Duke's David Cutcliffe started with the Blue Devils the same year Johnson took over the Yellow Jackets.)

More from the ACC Football Kickoff: League unveils ACC Network, hoops plans

That newness, particularly in the ACC's Coastal Division, which has three of the new coaches, was one of the main topics of discussion during the first media day's press conferences and interviews.

"I can tell you this," UNC coach Larry Fedora said. "With the new coaches that have come into the Coastal, you look at the head football coaches in this league, you look at what's happening in our league in the last three, four years, I mean, this is a hell of a division, it really is.

"From top to bottom, there's a lot of strength. The new coaches that are coming in are only going to make it stronger."

Notre Dame Football Schedule 2016: Ranking Toughest Opponents - (campusinsiders.com; Fiutak)

How will Notre Dame football fare this season? The Fighting Irish schedule isn’t all that bad considering they almost always challenge themselves with big-time games against big-name teams. Here's a ranking of their toughest opponents, starting with the easiest.

12. No. 12 Army (in San Antonio)
Go ahead and dog Notre Dame football for whatever you want, but there’s no ripping on the program for scheduling good teams. When playing Army and its option offense in San Antonio is your easiest game, the rest of the slate is beyond respectable.

11. Sept. 10 Nevada
Again, when Nevada is your second-easiest game, the schedule is solid. The Wolf Pack need to crank up the pistol attack to give the Irish defense a hard time, especially since they're a sandwich between the road game at Texas and the trip to Michigan State.

10. Sept. 24 Duke
The Blue Devils won 37-13 over the Fighting Irish to end the 1961 season, but they’ve lost the other three games between the two, including a 28-7 thumping in 2007. Duke is far better now, but the game is in South Bend.

9. Nov. 5 Navy (in Jacksonville)
Navy is no longer the guaranteed victory it was for so long, and with an interesting date in Jacksonville coming off the showdown against Miami, there’s more than just the Midshipmen's option attack to deal with.

8. Oct. 1 at Syracuse
Will the Orange offense be rolling after the first month of the season? Dino Babers might not have Syracuse at a 2015 Bowling Green level, but it’ll be dangerous enough at home for Notre Dame to stay focused...

8-figure exit fees could mean new Big 12 members not joining until 2018 (sbnation.com; Brown)

Tuesday, the Big 12 declared itself ready to listen to pitches to join the conference.

While virtually every non-power would be interested in the increase in prestige and money (the Big 12’s payout to members was $30.4 million for the last academic year, with mid-majors bringing in roughly a tenth of that at best), most top candidates are in the American and Mountain West.

The Big 12 didn’t set a specific timetable, but did indicate new members could possibly join "as soon as the 2017-2018 season."

Of course, even if a team earned an invite, it wouldn’t just be able to pick up and move tomorrow. It would need to follow the rules in its current conference’s bylaws, and it’s possible those rules could make a quick transition a bit difficult.

Here’s how you leave the Mountain West.
Per the conference’s bylaws, a school like Boise State or Colorado State can resign effective June 30 of each year, but must announce it "on or before" the previous June 30. For a program to resign in time to join the Big 12 for 2017-2018, it would need to notify the MWC by June 30, 2016 ... which would be impossible, since it’s currently July.

Other

-154eaf55b4a0c3c6.JPG

Zac Brown Band makes smart, sophisticated country (Review) (PS; Poorman)

For many Zac Brown Band fans, just getting to the Lakeview Amphitheater for the 2016 "Black Out the Sun" Tour on Thursday evening was a borderline miracle (I-690 westbound and 1-81 northbound saw some major traffic delays).

By the end of the night, however, the multi-platinum country-rock act out of Georgia proved that its set was worth the wait. One might argue, even, that Thursday's performance in itself was some kind of musical divinity -- a concert which, on paper, sounds like a mad concoction of disparate subgenres (from bluegrass to gospel to funk and beyond) but one which ultimately worked exceedingly well.

Zac Brown Band is an eight-piece group. That's not counting the three-man horn line and two soulful backup vocalists who made frequent appearances on stage on Thursday.

The lineup might sound busy, but it's effective. This is because Zac Brown, as a songwriter, is very ambitious. The down-home restauranteur-turned-musician, with his frequent co-writer Wyatt Durette, isn't scribing very predictable material. Sure, songs like "Chicken Fried" draw on mainstream country tropes: beer, blue jeans, sunsets, a girl.

ACC Kickoff: Rules changes coming in 2016 - ACCSports.com
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Targeting calls from the replay booth and tweaks to rules regarding timeouts will be among the changes coming to ACC officiating in 2016.

On Thursday, ACC Coordinator of Football Officiating Dennis Hennigan discussed those changes at the ACC Kickoff. The new rules include:

• Sliding ball-carriers, including non-quarterbacks, will be considered defenseless players, and any forcible contact to the head or neck area will result in a targeting flag. In addition, the play will be considered dead when the ball-carrier starts the slide, and the ball will be spotted where he began the slide.
  • Tripping the ball-carrier is now illegal.
  • While low hits to the passer (at or below the knee) were already illegal, players will now also be flagged for wrapping up passer at or below the knee.
  • ”Crackback” blocks are now prohibited.
  • Replay officials can now call targeting from the booth in instances where the targeting is “egregious.” Hennigan showed two examples of targeting from last season that he considered egregious:

• Two unsportsmanlike fouls on a coach will result in the ejection of that coach.
  • Coaches will now have the option of choosing between 30-second timeouts and full timeouts.
  • A team that is ahead cannot benefit from committing a foul in the last two minutes. In those final two minutes, if a team that is leading commits a foul, its opponent will have the option to call for the clock to stop until the next snap.
  • As previously announced, the league will use collaborative instant replay as a one-year experiment. Replay officials on-site will communicate with officials in Greensboro on every replay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom