Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
nationalhotfudgesundayday.jpg

Welcome to National Hot Fudge Sundae!

Every year on the 25th day of July, children and adults alike have the perfect excuse to indulge in a decadent frozen dessert, for on this day National Hot Fudge Sundae Day is celebrated all across the United States.1 Given some of the more obscure food holidaysthat are granted their own dates (such as National Jump for Jelly Beans Day and Cheese Sacrifice Purchase Day, for example), it is more than fitting that this classic American favorite gets a holiday all to itself. So break out the spoons and start heating up some fudge, for there is some sundae eating to be done!

SU News

-3fd1e02f314ea597.jpeg

2017 Syracuse Football Pledge Keirston Johnson’s Visit Confirms Decision (TNIAAM; Caray)

The Jacksonville native committed to Syracuse a month before ever visiting the school. He visited this week and reassured himself of his decision.

Keirston Johnson, an inside linebacker from Jacksonville, FL, committed to Syracuse on July 2nd without ever visiting the SU campus. Johnson visited the campus this past week with his family, which reassured him of his decision.

Johnson was surprised by the beauty of the campus and facilities, as he told Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey:

“The campus was great,” Johnson said. “What I didn't expect was the architecture of all the buildings. And I didn't expect the (Carrier) Dome to be this big. I’ve seen the pictures of it, but you can't get the feel for it without being in it.”

Johnson selected Syracuse over the likes of Maryland, USF, and Memphis and is rated three stars by most of the major recruiting sites. Johnson attends Robert E. Lee high school in Jacksonville where he recorded 101 tackles and 10 sacks in his junior year. He wants to work on his coverage skills this year and improve his hips and eyes.

Johnson was recruited by linebacker’s coach Tom Kaufman and who promised Johnson would like the campus and program:

“I just had a really good relationship with coach,” Johnson said. “He told me some great things and I believed him,” Johnson added. “...Me coming up here showed me that I really do belong here and this is the school for me.”

ACC gets new look with arrival of 4 new coaches for 2016 (sfchronicle.com; AP)

The Atlantic Coast Conference's four new coaches find very different challenges ahead for the 2016 season.

Miami's Mark Richt is charged with helping a program leap into the league's upper echelon, while Virginia Tech's Justin Fuente must reverse the slide from annual 10-win seasons to also-ran status in the wide-open Coastal Division.

It's a little tougher for Syracuse's Dino Babers and Virginia's Bronco Mendenhall, who must build a new foundation for programs that have struggled for wins.

They all arrived in Charlotte for last week's ACC Kickoff preseason media days fielding questions about how they've reshaped their programs. Now it's time to think about what happens on the field with training camp nearly here.

"I think you've got to wait until you go to games," Babers said. "Spring ball is one thing, two-a-days is one thing but until they actually get into a game, I don't think they truly buy in. Young people are just like old people. They can say the right things but you've got to prove it to them."

Babers inherits a Syracuse program with just seven wins — three in the league — in the last two seasons under Scott Schafer. It's part of a freefall for a program that has managed three winning seasons since winning 10 games in 2001.

Babers, a former assistant to Art Briles at Baylor, arrives after winning 18 games the past two seasons at Bowling Green.

The worst, and best, of the verbal 'Kickoff' offerings (greensvilleonine.com; Keepfer)

When 14 football coaches are asked to provide insights and details about their teams for the upcoming season – as was the case at the ACC Football Kickoff media gathering in Charlotte on Thursday and Friday – we shouldn’t be surprised when not everything out of their mouths qualifies as a brilliant response.

These are football coaches, after all, not orators of renown, and “coachspeak” is their official language. Several prime examples were served up during the two days of interviews, including:
--“We’re going to prepare like we’re going to win every single football game,” said Syracuse coach Dino Babers. Ah, just when I thought we might not hear this age-old classic from the “NCAA Guide to Coachspeak,” Babers came through.
--Clemson’s Dabo Swinney on how the people at a university make all the difference: “You can go stay at a Ritz Carlton, but if they treat you like crap, you ain’t going back, I don’t care how fluffy their pillows are.”

--Syracuse’s Babers on his roots: “I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. I graduated high school in San Diego, California. I lived everywhere in between. I had an opportunity to play up in British Columbia in Canada. My dad was 20 years military. We used to drive down the road and say, ‘That was a good box,’ and stop because we could use that for moving. We moved a lot.”

http://media.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./media/image/159/1591891.jpg

LSU post-camp recruiting notebook (nola.com; Smith)

LSU's annual July Prospect Camp concluded on Saturday with the recruiting picnic, after four workout sessions that began on Thursday.
South Florida linebacker Nadarius Fagan came into the weekend on the commitment watch list, but left town early Sunday morning without giving his verbal pledge and is likely going to choose Syracuse in the near future. Fagan has his concerns about being the right fit for him at LSU in Aranda's new 3-4 defense, and voiced some concern about the amount of linebackers the Tigers are hoping to sign in this class.

Only Jason Cabinda Until Penn State Football (blackshoesdiaries.com; DenaM)

40 days until kickoff!

With 40 days until kickoff, our focus is on #40 junior linebacker Jason Cabinda. Jason was a solid three-star recruit and standout two-sport letterman at Hunterdon Central High school in Flemington, NJ, where he excelled in football and basketball. Cabinda, who at one time verbaled to Syracuse, later flipped to Penn State, committing in 2013.

As a true freshman, Jason gained great experience for the linebacker unit, playing in nine games, delivering 17 tackles and .5 TFL. His ability didn’t go unnoticed as he was named honorable mention Big Ten-All-Freshman by BTN.com and selected as an ECAC first team All Star.

In 2015, the versatile Cabinda came into his own, leading the Penn State team with 100 total tackles, earning a #15 rank in the Big Ten with 7.7 tackles per game, and recording an impressive single-game high of 14 tackles in the PSU win over Army. Cabinda was named as an honorable mention All-Big Ten for 2015, and preseason in 2016, earned more accolades.

This year, Cabinda’s already been named to three watch lists for the Bednarik Award, given to the nation’s top defensive player,the Lott IMPACT Trophy and the Butkus Award.

Other

20798167-mmmain.jpg

2 hurl slurs, trash Shell gas station in NY after told store didn't serve 'slushies' (PS; Tribune News Service)

Police on Long Island are looking for two suspects accused of trashing a gas station and using racial slurs after being denied their request for "slushies."

Nassau County police are seeking the public's help in gathering information about the incident of criminal mischief that happened Saturday night in Cedarhurst.

According to detectives, the trouble started when a male and female entered the Shell gas station convenience store at 408 Rockaway Turnpike at 9:45 p.m. and asked the store clerk for "slushies."

When the victim responded they do not make them, the suspects began to yell and curse, police said. The male suspect then attempted to make a purchase with an EBT card and the clerk advised him they were unable to use that as payment.

Last edited:

News, Notes & Quotes - July 25

Steve Addazio has high admiration for Paul Pasqualoni, who joined the BC staff as defensive line coach this offseason.

Addazio’s coaching career began as an assistant at Western Connecticut State in 1985, when Pasqualoni was the head coach.

“Coach Pasqualoni is the best football coach I've ever been around, period, end, in my career,” Addazio said at ACC Media Days. “There aren't a lot of people that would argue with that. He can coach on either side of the ball in complete detail. His experience level is second to none. I have a great amount of confidence with Coach P because I started with him. I know exactly what he represents. When he says something, it's well thought out, it's detailed.”