Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sept-21-International-Day-of-Peace.jpg

Welcome to International Day of Peace!

The International Day of Peace, also known as Peace Day, was brought into being by United Nations Resolutions in 1981 and 2001. Each year, hundreds of students take part in a student observance of Peace Day at the United Nations which includes Messengers of Peace. View the UN's Peace Day page:www.un.org/peaceday.

SU News

Csk6MvDUIAA-azo.jpg

Why Isn't UConn's Offense Clicking? Diaco Tries To Explain (courant.com; Anthony)

In the 16 UConn football games since the start of last season, 10 have been decided by 10 points or fewer. In 28 games since Bob Diaco took over as coach for the 2014 season, there have been 16 such games.

With each of UConn's three games this season coming down to the final play — a victory over Maine, a loss to Navy, a victory over Virginia — Diaco's analysis has boiled down to his blanket statement of, "It doesn't need to be this interesting."

But it continues to be. On Tuesday, during his weekly press conference at the Burton Family Football Complex, Diaco explained why.

"In general, the overall point totals are down, with how the whole program operates," Diaco said. "So because there are less overall points, there typically would be less disparity. The analogy I would draw would be kind of like a hockey game or soccer game, all decided by one or two goals. We're kind of built that way, in general."

"We haven't gotten the offensive production that we're looking for," Diaco said. "That's just a fact. You know it and I can't hide from it and everybody watching the games knows it. We're all hands on deck there, and supportive of that unit, and that's probably the main reason why these games are as close as they are."

usa-today-9546163.0.jpg

Breaking down SU offensive play-calling vs. USF
(TNIAAM; Cassillo)

The Syracuse Orange lost another tough game on Saturday, this time to the USF Bulls by a score of 45-20. Due to the fact that Syracuse was up 17-0 in the first quarter of this game, we all took it pretty hard. After rewatching the game last night, there were actually a lot more positive than we were originally willing to admit. Don’t believe me? Let’s dive into some play-calling:

First Quarter
DRIVE 1
Time Down Ball Run/Pass Player Direction Result
14:55 1st and 10 SYR 21 Run Strickland Dive L 8 Yard Gain
14:37 2nd and 2 SYR 29 Run Strickland Dive L 7 Yard Gain
14:21 1st and 10 SYR 36 Play Action; Pass Dungey Mid Range M Incomplete (Etta-Tawo)
14:16 2nd and 10 SYR 36 Play Action; Pass Dungey Screen L Incomplete (Estime)
14:12 3rd and 10 SYR 36 Pass Strickland Short M 9 Yard Gain
13:52 4th and 1 SYR 45 Run Dungey Dive L 1 Yard Gain
13:48 1st and 10 SYR 46 Run Strickland Dive R 2 Yard Gain
13:24 2nd and 8 SYR 48 Run Strickland Dive R 10 Yard Gain
13:04 1st and 10 USF 42 Run Strickland Dive R 1 Yard Gain
12:40 2nd and 9 USF 41 Run Strickland Dive R 1 Yard Gain
12:18 3rd and 8 USF 40 PENALTY (False Start) Estime N/A 5 Yard Loss
11:58 3rd and 13 USF 45 PENALTY (Pass Interference) Godwin Deep R 15 Yard Gain
11:51 1st and 10 USF 30 Run Strickland End L 4 Yard Gain
11:30 2nd and 6 USF 26 Pass Etta-Tawo Screen L 4 Yard Gain
11:10 3rd and 2 USF 22 Run Strickland End L 3 Yard Gain
10:43 1st and 10 USF 19 Play Action; Pass Dungey Mid Range L Incomplete (Etta-Tawo)
10:39 2nd and 10 USF 19 Play Action; Run Dungey End L 5 Yard Loss
10:07 3rd and 15 USF 24 Play Action; Pass Philips Deep M 24 Yard Gain; TD
DRIVE 2
Time Down Ball Run/Pass Player Direction Result
8:46 1st and 10 SYR 8 Run Strickland Dive R 3 Yard Gain
8:27 2nd and 7 SYR 11 Play Action; Pass Etta-Tawo Short L 8 Yard Gain
8:10 1st and 10 SYR 19 Play Action; Pass Etta-Tawo Screen L 0 Yard Gain
7:36 2nd and 10 SYR 19 Run Strickland End R 4 Yard Gain
7:10 3rd and 6 SYR 23 Pass Etta-Tawo Deep L 30 Yard Gain
6:48 1st and 10 USF 47 Pass Estime Deep M 47 Yard Gain; TD

Do we just have to accept Syracuse football attendance and move on? (TNIAAM; Keeley)

I haven’t even written this post yet and I know it’s going to get at least 40-50 comments.

You write about something long enough and you know what topics are red meatand there are few juicier topics for Syracuse Orange fans to chew on than home attendance.

There’s a reason every beat writer posts a “Here’s what it looks like ten minutes before kickoff. Yeesh” tweet before every game. They know you’re going to react. And you don’t disappoint.

Less than 10 minutes before kickoff here at Carrier Dome.pic.twitter.com/qkzGY5LVma

— Joey Knight (@TBTimes_Bulls) September 17, 2016
I’m as guilty as anyone. I’ve obsessed over the numbers, trying to figure out What It All Means and how we can return to the days of a full Carrier Dome. In almost ten years of doing this, I’ve come to two indisputable conclusions.

1. Sustained winning is the only thing that matters. Everything else is window dressing.
  2. The modern world is not made for stadium sellouts in places like Syracuse.

Other

Amphitheater300x800.jpg

OCC president: If Jazz Fest moved to the amphitheater, it would be fine with us (PS; Baker)

The president of Onondaga Community College said today she would be fine with Jazz Fest moving to the Lakeview Amphitheater.

A budget proposal from County Executive Joanie Mahoney last week included an attempt to move Jazz Fest to Lakeview Amphitheater next year. The issue took center stage at a Parks Department budget hearing Tuesday morning, with some county legislators questioning the effort.

Onondaga Community College hosted Jazz Fest from 2000 until 2012, when it moved to Jamesville Beach Park. The festival returned to campus in 2014 and inked a four-year contract with the college to host the event.
Legislators and Jazz Fest Executive Director Frank Malfitano cited that contract as one reason for staying put.

OCC President Casey Crabill said today that the contract has no financial obligations and was made as a way to help secure dates and facilities for a multi-year period.

"We made it for four years so we had an ability to plan ahead," Crabill said. "If it moves to the amphitheater, that's fine with us. We're happy to support it either way. We don't make money on it."

Crabill said the college spends money on the festival to make sure the facilities are in good shape for the thousands of visitors who come every year. They also pay some people to work during the festival.

"The college doesn't have a position on where Jazz Fest should be," she said. "We're happy to have it and we want it in the place where it makes the most sense."

The college is holding dates for Jazz Fest for several potential weekends next summer, but final arrangements usually aren't made until January when talent gets booked.

this is why i was confused since Emerich played the first few drives but many comments about the game made it sound like he didnt play at all?

Emerich did not play at all, was declared out before the game started.
Yep, I saw him standing on the sidelines with his jersey on sans the pads.

Emerich did not play at all, was declared out before the game started.
so the comment in the report was wrong that he came out in the 3rd series? not having readable numbers doesnt really help..

Last edited:
so the comment in the report was wrong that he came out in the 3rd series? i am confused because a different center started the game and when he got hurt you could see Byrne snapping with the QB before he came in.

Emerich didn't play.

Byrne started. Got injured at one point, but then came back in. I think Donnie Foster was warming up at one point because of Byrnes injury. Can't remember if he came in or not.

Emerich didn't play.

Byrne started. Got injured at one point, but then came back in. I think Donnie Foster was warming up at one point because of Byrnes injury. Can't remember if he came in or not.
Byrne got hurt on a 3rd down play that left us 4th and short. His injury probably played into the decision to punt at that time.

Byrne never missed a snap...he was back @ C the very next series.

SU got a great read on how to attack uconn last week. UV did it great the first half then the QB made a bunch of bad decisions the 2nd half.

4th down stats are interesting.. i feel like if the offense was playing better we would be doing it even more? but then are we doing it more because he knows we need more chances to win? the fact we came out and did it early makes me wonder had we stayed ahead would we have done it 2-3 more times later? the better the offense plays, the more we do it, the more we keep the ball? lets hope so.