Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to National Bologna Day!

Each year on October 24, people across the nation make a sandwich to take part in National Bologna Day. This would be a good day to have a bologna sandwich for lunch.

• Sometimes spelled baloney (as it is pronounced), bologna has been one of the more popular luncheon meats for decades.
  • Favorite bologna sandwich garnishes are mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, cheese, lettuce, pickles, tomato and onion.
  • Bologna is derived from and is somewhat similar to the Italian mortadella (a finely hashed/ground port sausage) that originated in Bologna, Italy.
  • United States government regulations require American bologna to be finely ground and without visible pieces of lard.
  • Bologna can alternatively be made out of chicken, turkey, beef, pork, venison or soy protein.
  • Bologna Bowl – When a slice of bologna is heated, the fat renders and the round slice takes the shape of a bowl which may be filled with cheese or other fillings.
SU News

2Y3Q9131online.jpg

Notebook: Syracuse Airs Out Boston College Football - The Heights (bcheights.com; Peaquin)

It looked like a perfect pass. Patrick Towles aired out a beautiful throw to hit Michael Walker.

It looked like a touchdown in the making. As Walker turned toward the end zone, he was already picturing the end of the dreaded ACC streak for Boston College football. These dreams stayed purely in the realm of imagination. Walker quickly lost control of the football as it began to bobble around out of his grasp. His game of personal hot potato soon got out of hand as the ball bounced out of his arms and into the waiting hands of a Syracuse linebacker Parris Bennett.

What had once looked like a moment for the highlight reel had quickly turned into yet another busted opportunity for BC football.

This in many ways sums up the Syracuse matchup for BC. The Eagles had so many opportunities, but they were ultimately unable to convert the possibility of an opportunity into the reality of points. This lost opportunity was squandered by BC’s inability to adapt to Syracuse’s tempo and the Eagles’ failure to capitalize on several defensive stops.

Syracuse big plays beat Boston College football (bostonherald.com; Thompson)

Boston College gave up more big plays than it could produce in yesterday’s 28-20 Atlantic Coast Conference loss to Syracuse on homecoming day at Alumni Stadium.

The Eagles scored on an 89-yard kickoff return by Myles Willis and a 75-yard run by quarterback Patrick Towles, who later left the game with a hamstring injury.

Because of injuries, BC played without featured tailback Jon Hilliman (ankle) and middle linebacker Connor Strachan (shoulder).

Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey, the leading passer in the ACC, torched the BC secondary by competing 32-of-38 passes for 434 yards and three touchdowns with one interception. Syracuse had four players with more than 75 receiving yards, topped by Amba Etta-Tawo (10 catches, 144 yards) and Steve Ishmael (eight, 108).

“I wouldn’t say there were a lot of breakdowns but their quarterback is playing extremely well,” said BC coach Steve Addazio. “They have a couple of fifth-year receivers and the quarterback is the real deal and he made some big plays to win that game.

“We got hit with a couple of big plays and we are working real hard to eliminate that on defense.”

The Eagles fell to 3-4 and 0-4 in the ACC, where their conference losing streak extended to 12 games. The Eagles will look to end the skid against North Carolina State Saturday at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh, N.C. Syracuse improved to 4-4 and 2-2 in the ACC.

bowl-game-centerpiece-82614v2.jpg

ACC Week 8 bowl projections: Welcome to the club, Syracuse (espn; Hale)

Eric Dungey and Syracuse continue to impress, and the win against Boston College on Saturday gets the Orange -- at least for now -- into our bowl projections. They'll still need two more wins, which might be tough given the remaining schedule, but Syracuse certainly has shown it's capable of pulling off an upset, so the job isn't impossible.

Meanwhile, Louisville's win officially has the Cardinals bowl eligible (joining Clemson and North Carolina among ACC teams), but the bigger question might be whether Bobby Petrino's crew is good enough to push for a playoff berth.

College Football Playoff semifinal at the Fiesta Bowl: Clemson Tigers
Capital One Orange Bowl: Louisville Cardinals
Russell Athletic Bowl: North Carolina Tar Heels
TaxSlayer Bowl: Florida State Seminoles
Belk Bowl: Virginia Tech Hokies
New Era Pinstripe Bowl: Pittsburgh Panthers
Hyundai Sun Bowl: Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Quick Lane Bowl: Syracuse Orange
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman: NC State Wolfpack
Camping World Independence Bowl: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
St. Petersburg Bowl: Miami Hurricanes

Syracuse Football: Eric Dungey for Heisman Campaign Starts Now
(insidetheloudhouse.com; Edsen Jr)

The Syracuse football team is 4-4 because of their star quarterback, Eric Dungey. Lets make the case for Dungey being in the a Heisman conversation.
I am here to officially start the campaign for Syracuse football star, Eric Dungey, for the Heisman trophy.For those of you naysayers out there, the real question is why am I the first to bring this up?He leads the ACC in passing…let that soak in for a minute.

This isn’t the ACC of years past that was more of a joke of a division.This ACC has five teams in the top 25 with arguably the two best teams in college football (Clemson and Louisville).Prior to today’s game he was averaging 313.9 yards per game this includes an abysmal outing where he battled Wake Forest and Hurricane Matthew.If you throw that game out he is averaging 353 passing yards per game.Boom!Let’s squelch the white noise right now with some facts.

Ok I hear you in the back row, the reason Eric is doing so well is the Senior transfer from Maryland Amba Etta-Tawo.Thank you for bringing that up, let me put that to bed right now.Prior to this season Amba had not had 1000 yards receiving … in his entire college career!For the stat hounds out there, Amba passed that number today in game eight with four to go.Couple that with today’s results of four receivers each in the 100 yard neighborhood with two closer to a buck fifty. So no, the reason Eric is excelling isn’t Amba rather the reverse.Amba should send Eric 10% of his signing bonus next April following the NFL draft.

His numbers are inflated due to competition.Seriously?He has gone toe to toe with Louisville, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame year in year out powerhouses in the NCAA.His numbers in those games are 255/363/311 yards passing against top flight talent.

Other

meaneyjpg-d6fc9d4ad0eb98d4.jpg

Kevin Meaney, standup comic who attended SUNY Morrisville, dead at age 60 (PS; LaRue)

Actor and standup comedian Kevin Meaney, whose played an executive in the 1988 film comedy "Big" and who starred as the title character in CBS comedy "Uncle Buck" in 1991, has died at age 60, his agent said Saturday.

Meaney's body was found Friday at his home in Forestburgh in Upstate New York's Sullivan County, agent Tom Ingegno told CNN. No cause of death was immediately known.

The comic was scheduled to perform Saturday night in East Providence, Rhode Island, according to his website.

Meaney grew up in Westchester County, graduating from Valhalla High School. He attended SUNY Morrisville before dropping out to enter show business, according to The New York Times.

Meaney's career was launched in 1986 when he was featured in an HBO special following standup in Boston and San Francisco, The Associated Press reported. He later made appearances on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" and "Saturday Night Live."

In a tweet, comedian Kevin Nealon referenced one of Meaney's routines about his high-strung parents: "So sorry to hear about the passing of comedian Kevin Meaney. He made me laugh hard. What a talent and nice guy. Truly 'big pants people.'"

So sorry to hear about the passing of comedian Kevin Meaney. He made me laugh hard. What a talent and nice guy. Truly 'big pants people.'

— Kevin Nealon (@kevin_nealon) October 22, 2016

I saw Kevin Meany in Atlantic City more than 20 years ago. He opened for The Temptations at the Taj Mahal.

The entire audience pretty much ignored him while talking amongst each other. At one point he asked "is anybody listening to me?"

And, all the while, he was really funny.

So sorry to hear of his passing.

I saw Kevin Meany in Atlantic City more than 20 years ago. He opened for The Temptations at the Taj Mahal.

The entire audience pretty much ignored him while talking amongst each other. At one point he asked "is anybody listening to me?"

And, all the while, he was really funny.

So sorry to hear of his passing.
I saw him live too... loved his comedy. I can't tell you how many times one of my idiot actions growing up almost resulting in us "losing the house" :)

Honestly, I'm surprised Dungey beat out Jackson this week.

how does one go about even picking the best oline dude any given week?