Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
gis-day-banner-smaller.png

Welcome to Geographic Information Systems Day!

GIS Day provides an international forum for users of geographic information systems (GIS) technology to demonstrate real-world applications that are making a difference in our society.

The first formal GIS Day took place in 1999. Esri president and co-founder Jack Dangermond credits Ralph Nader with being the person who inspired the creation of GIS Day. He considered GIS Day a good initiative for people to learn about geography and the uses of GIS. He wanted GIS Day to be a grassroots effort and open to everyone to participate.

SU News

upload_2016-11-16_6-47-23.png

FSU football depth chart stabilizes for Syracuse (tomahawknation.com; Visser)

On Saturday, Florida State scored its first touchdown of the season against a power-five team in the first quarter. If there weren’t enough uses of the word “first” in that sentence, here’s another: for the first time this season, the Seminole depth chart has not changed, at all, from one game to the next.

The spot many had their eyes on was right tackle, as Brock Ruble had to be replaced by Rick Leonard after getting beat off the edge on multiple occasions. FSU Head Coach Jimbo Fisher explained that Ruble had a groin tweak that was hindering his movement, and Ruble retains the top spot at RT.

On the defensive side of the ball, the secondary had seen some shuffling of late, but as the 3-4, nickel, and dime packages have settled in recently, the alterations have ceased, at least for the time being.

Special teams depth remains the same, too, although we got a little more clarification as to who will handle place kicks when-- or should I say, from where. While Ricky Aguayo is still the first-line PK, Fisher confirmed after the Boston College game that Logan Tyler would take over from 51-52 yards out and farther, and for good reason: Tyler got his first collegiate FG attempt against the Eagles, and was good from 53.

upload_2016-11-16_6-35-43.png

Breaking down SU play-calling vs. NC State (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

As mentioned on Sunday, the Syracuse Orange offense needs Eric Dungey in order to function properly. That’s not just limited to production, but the form and function of the play-calling, too. The loss to the NC State Wolfpack looked nothing like the previous games. So while we’re breaking it down below just like every other game, it says very little about Dino Babers’s scheme -- now and in the future.

First Quarter
DRIVE 1
Time Down Ball Run/Pass Player Direction Result
11:16 1st and 10 SYR 39 Pass Philips Short R 5 Yard Gain
11:01 2nd and 5 SYR 44 Pass Philips Mid Range R 9 Yard Gain
10:37 1st and 10 NCSU 47 Play Action; Pass Mahoney Deep R Incomplete (Cornelius)
10:31 2nd and 10 NCSU 47 Run Mahoney Dive R 6 Yard Gain
10:12 3rd and 4 NCSU 41 Run Strickland Dive L 5 Yard Gain
9:55 1st and 10 NCSU 36 Play Action; Pass Cornelius Short R 8 Yard Gain
9:39 2nd and 2 NCSU 28 Run Strickland Dive R 1 Yard Gain
8:59 3rd and 1 NCSU 27 Run Mahoney Dive R 1 Yard Loss
8:20 4th and 2 NCSU 28 Pass Philips Screen L 12 Yard Gain
8:03 1st and 10 NCSU 16 Pass Etta-Tawo Screen L 4 Yard Gain
7:46 2nd and 6 NCSU 12 Pocket Breakdown; Run Mahoney Dive R 2 Yard Gain
7:10 3rd and 4 NCSU 10 Wildcat; Run Strickland Dive L 10 Yard Gain; TD
DRIVE 2
Time Down Ball Run/Pass Player Direction Result
6:16 1st and 10 SYR 44 Play Action; Pass Mahoney Deep R Interception

Play-Call Breakdown: 8 passes, 5 runs

The first drive was truly the only complete drive of the game. This was really the only time short passes were utilized well, the run game was open up the middle and the miss downfield had no negative consequences (Alvin Cornelius was wide open, however). The Wildcat was a solid wrinkle to add in the red zone. You also can’t blame anyone for being pissed about the missed pass interference that led to the interception on the first play of drive two. It wasn’t a bad ball at all.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/central-...-players-hope-dungey-returns-this-season.html (twcnews.com; video; Goldberg)

The Orange's starting quarterback missed the NC State game after leaving the Clemson game in the second quarter with an unspecified injury.

Other

21524750-mmmain.jpg

How would the I-81 replacement impact the eastern suburbs? (PS; Hannagan)

Removing the Interstate 81 elevated highway would have far reaching implications for the people who live in the eastern suburbs of Onondaga County.

The state Department of TransportationTuesday at an open house at Jamesville-DeWitt High School unveiled a display board explaining designs for a wider Interstate 481 between Interstate 690 and the Thruway. The additional lanes would be needed to accommodate extra traffic in that area should the state choose to take down the crumbling elevated I-81 in Syracuse.

The state is looking at two alternatives: replace the elevated highway with a newer, taller version, or re-route "through" traffic onto I-481 and send local traffic onto city streets.

"It's confusing to us," said Ryan Middleton, who along with his friend, Ryan Collins, were looking at the display boards explaining the two options. Middleton and Collins were two of about a dozen students from local high school government classes attending the event.

"It's hard to wrap our heads around it. It's weird to see the community in a whole different way," Middleton said.

"I have a problem with both alternatives," said Kate Woodle of DeWitt. Woodle said she has concerns the additional traffic on I-481 will create noise and air pollution.

Many of his constituents have the same concerns, DeWitt Supervisor Edward Michalenko said.

The DeWitt town board has consistently opposed sending more traffic onto I-481, which slices through the municipality, he said. Tuesday he was handing out copies of an Aug. 22 resolution passed by the board urging the state to keep I-81's present alignment.

From last nights interviews with the players.

Stephen Bailey
‏@Stephen_Bailey1 12h12 hours ago
Syracuse WR Steve Ishmael was a full participant in practice today, per QB Zack Mahoney

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 12h12 hours ago
Syracuse QB Zack Mahoney said he and Austin Wilson are working with the first team. No starter decided yet for FSU (at least publicly).

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 12h12 hours ago
Also no word on the status of C Colin Byrne. Took a hard hit to the head against NC State. Teammates called backup Donnie Foster calm.

play calling is tough to decipher in this system.. Coach has made a point of saying much of it is decided pre snap on what the D gives us. Unless we are in full point chase mode and pass happy I dont know how much we decide on for some of the plays.

So while some plays are clearly pass first options many seem to be based on the D and whether its a loaded box or not. The fact that we cant run at all really skews the play calling as some plays we have clear numbers advantages and still cant get it done. the question is do you abandon the system for now or have faith that it evolves over time. there were some running plays last week where 3-4 Defenders where standing there to make the play.. Did the whole line blow blocks on the same play?

There still is a ton of confusion on the oline on certain plays. Some plays are well called but poorly executed. I saw 4-5 plays we ran last week were the MLB and the center of the field had been completely cleared and we couldnt hold a block to get the back thru for huge gains. We have a QB that i dont think you can trust to throw 40-50 times and an oline that barely functions running the ball.

As a play caller what to do..

Eight years ago today Gerg Robinson was fired.
The nightmares still haven't gone away.

ESPN Radio Syracuse ‏@ESPNSYRACUSE
.@Cuse Athletic Director John Wildhack is #OnTheBlock with @BrentAxeMedia now. LISTEN: http://espnsyracuse.com and 97.7 FM.

SU AD John Wildhack on Dino: "I am very, very excited about the potential of this progam under Coach Babers' leadership."

SU AD John Wildhack on Dino's viral speech: "I got so much reaction from friends of mine that was just 'wow that's amazing, so fantastic.'"

SU AD John Wilhack on Dome renovations: "It's an incredibly complex process." Says they continue in the planning phases.

SU AD John Wildhack on Dome: "It's one of the iconic venues in all of sports." Says they want to retain that during the renovation process.

Thanks to @Cuse AD John Wildhack for joining us. Podcast will be up soon at http://espnsyracuse.com . Check @ESPNSYRACUSE for some highlights

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 17m17 minutes ago
Syracuse AD John Wildhack to @BrentAxeMedia: "It's been a great first 90 days. I'm enjoying it immensely."

Syracuse AD John Wildhack reiterates there is not a three-strike rule for concussions at SU. 3rd could result in DQ, but not automatic.

Syracuse AD John Wildhack: "Dr. (James) Tucker has a deep and broad and very experienced background, so I think we feel comfortable w/ him."

Syracuse AD John Wildhack on Dino Babers/coaching carousel: "He is 100% committed to the University. He is 100% committed to this team."

Syracuse AD John Wildhack asked for a Dome rebuild update: "It's an incredible complex project. We continue to be in the planning stages."

Last edited: