Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Popcorn-Day-640x322.jpg

Welcome to National P0pc0rn Day!

National P0pcorn Day is observed annually January 19th.

This time-honored treat can be sweet or savory, caramelized, buttered or plain, molded into a candied ball or tossed with nuts and chocolate. However, it is enjoyed, enjoy it on National P0pcorn Day, January 19th.

The word “corn” in Old English meant “grain” or more specifically the most prominent grain grown in a region. Maize being the most common grain in early America, the word “corn” was aptly applied.

As early as the 16th century, popcorn was used in headdresses worn during Aztec ceremonies honoring Tlaloc, their god of maize and fertility. Early Spanish explorers were fascinated by the corn that burst into what looked like a white flower.

P0pcorn started becoming popular in the United States in the middle 1800s. It wasn’t until Charles Cretors, a candy-store owner, developed a machine for popping corn with steam that the tasty treat became more abundantly poppable. By 1900 he had horse-drawn popcorn wagons going through the streets of Chicago.

About the same time, Louise Ruckheim added peanuts and molasses to popcorn to bring Cracker Jack to the world. The national anthem of baseball was born in 1908 when Jack Norworth and Albert Von Tilzer wrote Take Me out to the Ballgame. From that point onward, popcorn, specifically Cracker Jack, became forever married to the game.

SU News

9658744-justin-pugh-nfl-philadelphia-eagles-new-york-giants.vadapt.767.high.0.jpg

Syracuse Football Alumni In The NFL Part 2: Justin Pugh | FOX Sports (foxsports.com; Edsen Sr)

This will be a series discussing former Syracuse players in the National Football League. The second part of this series continues with another player from the New York Giants.
The Syracuse football team has not had a lot to cheer for the past couple of seasons and this time of year is the down period for college football fans that have to wait three months until the Spring Game. Let’s continue our walk down memory lane together and discuss the former Orange players who are still lacing up on Sundays.

OL, Justin Pugh, New York Giants

Another of Doug Marrone’s disciples, Pugh attended Syracuse University, where he played for the Syracuse Orange football team from 2009 to 2012.

He was the anchor of the offense line that protected Ryan Nassib. He started 34 games in his career, and earned All-Big East Conference honors in three consecutive seasons; second team as a sophomore, and first team as a junior and senior.

Justin opted to enter the the 2013 NFL Draft after his junior season. He had a difficult hurdle to overcome prior to announcing entry in the draft. He needed his Mom’s clearance.

“I kind of had set it up so I could graduate,” Pugh said on Sunday night at a press conference in Mobile, Alabama. “While I knew going into the year I wanted to graduate to give me the option to go either way. My mom being a teacher, she was real big on if I didn’t get my degree, I wasn’t going to be able to come out.”

454807592.0.jpg

Could UM transfer Gus Edwards be heading to SU? (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

On Wednesday, the Miami Hurricanes announced that running back Gus Edwards would seek a transfer to another program. Edwards is a fifth-year senior, so would be able to suit up right away. In 35 games at Miami, he rushed for 977 yards on 186 carries, scoring 12 touchdowns. Edwards had 290 yards rushing in 2016, serving largely as a backup to Joseph Yearby.

Edwards’s transfer is significant for the Syracuse Orange because he’s a Staten Island native (Tottenville High School) who was once committed to SU in 2013. He flipped his commitment shortly before National Signing Day then, picking Miami over Florida State (and the Orange).

Syracuse could obviously use the help at running back, should Edwards decide to head back to his home state to continue his career. Last year, the Orange rushed for just 1,435 yards -- 115th in the entire country. Leading rusher Dontae Strickland (who hadn’t played at running back in years) had just 566 yards on the season.

Edwards could potentially help offset Strickland and/or Moe Neal at the running back spot, providing some size to counter the shiftier running styles of the two smaller ball-carriers. The former three-star recruit stands at 6-foot-1 and 230 pounds, which is much more in line with the type of runner this offense needs between the tackles to draw in defenses.

He hasn’t indicated where he’ll go just yet, but one can assume he’s at least on the Orange’s radar (and they’re likely on his).

Carrier Dome 48th in Stadium Journey rankings (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

Stadium Journey released its top 100 stadium experiences list yesterday, spanning a wide range of college and pro venues around North America.

You’d think with all of the renovation talk of late that the Syracuse Orange’s Carrier Dome would not be among those 100 “best.” The Dome came in at No. 48.

According to the article:

“There's a reason that the Carrier Dome has been called the Loud House. Every game starts the same way. Welcome of the Jungle blares and every fan stands and claps until the first basket by Syracuse is scored. From there, you've got the normal ebb and flow of a basketball game, but so much louder than many other venues.”

#BANSTANDANDCLAP

That’s a generic look at what makes the place special, but it does touch on the building’s main draw: Noise. I remember my own first-time experience at the Dome for a basketball game, and the wall of sound that came at you was deafening. The loudest game I’ve ever been to — any sport — was when Syracuse almost completed a 24-point comeback vs. Wichita State (and would’ve if not for a missed dunk by Demetris Nichols).

The renovation discussions are centered around fixing things like concessions, seats, and technology. Those are fine. And as long as the presumed hard-top on the structure doesn’t alter the noise advantage we’ve created for ourselves, it’ll largely be the same place we’ve known for decades.

Meet the new members of the CFP committee (espn.com; Dinich)

The College Football Playoff on Tuesday announced the addition of three new members to its selection committee: Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith, former Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer and Robert Morris University president Chris Howard.

The CFP's management committee, which is comprised of the 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, selects what has become the most visible committee in college sports. Each commissioner is invited to nominate people, and then the full management committee reviews the candidates, who hail from specific categories: current athletic directors, former coaches, former players, former journalists and former administrators. Geographic balance is also taken into consideration.

The new members will each begin a three-year term this spring.

Here's a quick look at the newest members, as well as a snapshot of what the entire group now looks like for the 2017 season:

Frank Beamer

Title: Retired from coaching in 2015; special assistant to Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock; former head coach at Virginia Tech, Murray State

COLUMN: Don't cry over Canada - The Pitt News (pittnews.com; Leftwich)

It’s been three weeks since the Pitt football team’s season came to an end with a 31-24 loss to Northwestern in the Pinstripe Bowl, and there’s still no sign of who will be running the offense next year.

But there’s no need to panic. As the mastermind behind the 2016 team’s record-setting offense moves on, fans can rest assured knowing Pitt was bound to light up the scoreboard no matter who was calling the plays.

Matt Canada joined the Panthers as the team’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach this past season and took the offense to unprecedented levels of success usually reserved for the very best teams in the country. Pitt put together its highest-scoring season of all time at 42.3 points per game and landed four offensive players on the All-ACC First Team.

Fans and the media have credited Canada for this immediate success — he even earned a nomination for the Broyles award recognizing the best coordinator in college football. Using this newfound acclaim to his advantage, Canada skipped town after one season in Pittsburgh to become offensive coordinator under head coach Ed Orgeron at SEC powerhouse LSU.

According to documents obtained by The Advocate, Canada will make $1.5 million per year at LSU — making him the third-highest-paid assistant coach in college football.

Losing Canada might seem like a major blow to the Panthers, and it is. But it doesn’t mark the end of Pitt’s offensive success — the Panthers were due for an offensive explosion with or without Canada.

To begin with, Canada inherited a fantastic and experienced group at offensive line.

The team returned four starters up front, including first-team All-ACC performers Dorian Johnson and Adam Bisnowaty, and added redshirt sophomore Alex Bookser to the mix at right guard. This group dominated, allowing only nine sacks on the season and earning semi-finalist honors for the Joe Moore Award recognizing the best offensive line the country.

Georgia Tech lineman Trey Klock will continue football career outside of ACC (pennlive.com; Epier)

Georgia Tech offensive lineman Trey Klock is looking for a new challenge.

The redshirt sophomore and former Lower Dauphin standout is set to graduate in the summer, and Klock is preparing to pursue a master’s degree a little closer to his roots in Hummelstown.

Where is the big question.

“It’s something that I put a lot of thought into,” said Klock after he announced his intentions on social media Tuesday night. “I sat down and talked with all the coaches last week. I spent the Christmas Holiday home and talked with everyone who is close to me. It was a really tough decision but it’s something that’s really important to me.”

pic.twitter.com/mnkD8LjdmZ

— Trey Klock (@treyklock) January 17, 2017
Klock was a standout tight end and defensive tackle at Lower Dauphin and was selected to the 2014 Big 33 game after leading the Falcons to the District 3 Class 4A title. At Georgia Tech, Klock found success at offensive tackle while battling a number of injuries.

The 6-4, 285-pounder helped Georgia Tech (9-4) win its final three game of the regular season and was the starter at left tackle during a 33-18 victory over Kentucky in the Dec. 31 TaxSlayer Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla. In all, Klock played in 22 games over two seasons.

“The redshirt year certainly helped me mature physically and adapt to college life,” Klock said.

“I take pride in my academics and it allowed me to get a head start. But I love football. It’s always something I’m going to be passionate about and I would love the chance to play anywhere.”

ACC proving it’s the best conference in college sports (newsobserver.com; Morris)

Not long after Clemson captured the College Football Playoff national championship a week ago in Tampa, commissioner John Swofford could be seen standing on the Raymond James Stadium turf as he celebrated the latest success of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The league’s second national football title in the past four seasons – Florida State won in 2013 – was the cap on a fall season of sports that has propelled the ACC into being the best in the country.

With continued success in winter and spring sports, the ACC might be in the midst of its greatest on-field success during one school year in the league’s 64-year history. In addition to Clemson’s national football championship, the ACC also claimed national crowns by UNC in both men’s and women’s lacrosse. Wake Forest lost the national men’s soccer title game to Stanford, UNC fell in the field hockey national final to Delaware, and UNC bowed out in the women’s soccer national semifinals.

“The overall success our league is experiencing has been a long time in the making and is a testament to the commitment of our schools to achieving and maintaining a high standard of excellence,” Swofford said this week via email. “Over a decade ago, the leadership in this conference knew we needed to expand and position the ACC for the long term, and we are now enjoying the benefits of those key decisions...

Other

21894793-mmmain.jpg

New York's canal system named a national historic landmark (PS; Moriarty)

The New York State Canal System, built on the spine of the Erie Canal, has been designated a national historic landmark, placing it among the premier historic sites in the country.

Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell made the designation earlier this month, and the decision was celebrated by state canal officials at a ceremony Wednesday at the historic Marriott Syracuse Downtown (the former Hotel Syracuse).

The National Historic Landmarks Program recognizes places determined to be nationally historically significant because they possess exceptional value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the United States.

Bob Radliff, director of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor, said the designation, one of 24 announced by Jewell on Jan. 11, adds to the state canal system's prominence as a tourism and recreational attraction and could potentially bring new public and private investment in communities along the system.

The designation includes the Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga-Seneca canals -- direct successors of canals built in the 1820s and enlarged between 1905 and 1918. They make up 450 miles of navigation channels, stretching over 18 counties. The first of them, the Erie Canal, is credited with opening the interior of North America to settlement and commercial agriculture, transforming the Atlantic economy.

Vendors from all over the East Coast come together for annual antiques show (DO; Maeda)

This weekend the New York State Fairgrounds will experience a surge of nostalgia. Rare books, vintage toys, oil paintings and other items will clutter a thousand-square foot floor space for the biggest indoor antique show in New York — a welcome escape from the winter blues.

With over 275 selected dealers, the Salt City Winter Antiques Show will exhibit a variety of fine antiques on Saturday and Sunday, including the largest collection of cut glass in the United States.

Visitors can find antiques that span from pre-Columbian to mid-century modern times to the 60s and 70s. Several of the jewelry booths will feature weird, unusual, one-of-a-kind jewelry that won’t be found in stores, said Stephen Allman, promoter of the Salt City Winter Antiques Show.

While the event is an entertaining experience for visitors to purchase antiques, Allman said the show serves as an educational purpose as well.

“You wander through there and there’s things from different time periods, and the dealers are generally very knowledgeable about what they have,” Allman said. “You can learn about the things you have by looking at the things they’re selling.”

This year in particular sees the return of an exhibitor from past shows who will sell major collections of vintage quilts that can be used as wall hangings.

The antique show makes its home in a large venue, located inside the Americraft Center of Progress Building on the New York State Fairgrounds. Allman said a featured restaurant makes the event a perfect family outing. Children under age 12 receive free admission. Adult tickets cost $7, while the $8 VIP ticket allows admission for both days: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

Last edited:
I'm confused, nothing new, with Klock. If he is graduating from GT why would he have to play outside of the ACC? I didn't think a grad transfer was under the same restrictions that sometimes apply to transfers, such as not being allowed to play in the same conference as the school he is leaving.

I'm confused, nothing new, with Klock. If he is graduating from GT why would he have to play outside of the ACC? I didn't think a grad transfer was under the same restrictions that sometimes apply to transfers, such as not being allowed to play in the same conference as the school he is leaving.
Agree. I think the author is getting confused about the rules regarding transferring when you haven't already graduated.