Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Flip-Flop-Day-Third-Friday-in-June-e1465924911905.jpg

Welcome to National Flip Flop Day!

In 2007, Tropical Smoothie Cafe created National Flip Flop Day to celebrate its 10th anniversary. Every year on this date, customers who come into participating Cafes across the nation wearing flip-flops receive a free Jetty Punch Smoothie. Tropical Smoothie then gives proceeds of a $1 paper flip flop from customers to send ill children and their families to Camp Sunshine.

Camp Sunshine is based in Casco, Maine, and their mission is focused solely on addressing the effects of a life-threatening illness on every member of the immediate family — the child, the parents and the siblings. This year-round program is free of charge to families.

In 2015, $1 million was raised by Tropical Smoothie Cafe for Camp Sunshine. The total amount raised since the beginning in 2007 is over $3.7 million making National Flip Flop Day a successful fundraiser for Camp Sunshine.

SU News

Babers_DinoSpringGame2016-770x539.jpg

Handicapping the ACC through Vegas Over/Unders (tarheelblog.com; Floyd)

Atlantic
  • Boston College: O/U 4 wins— To get to 4, in Chestnut Hill usually requires three OOC wins plus N.C. State. They do get the Wolfpack at home, but travel to Northern Illinois to open the season, get Notre Dame and Central Michigan (not an easy out) at home and a weird late-November neutral-site game with UConn. They do draw Virginia from the Coastal, but play them on the road. Hate to push right out of the gates, but PUSH.
  • Clemson: O/U 9.5 wins— Finding three losses for the champs is certainly feasible with Auburn, at Louisville, and at Virginia Tech before the calendar flips to October. I...just don’t buy it with their defense, offensive line, and returning skill guys helping carry whomever wins the QB job. OVER
  • Florida State: O/U 9.5 wins— I think FSU is a playoff team this year, so OVER.However, a week one loss to Alabama is probably likely, Home dates with Miami, State, and Louisville are all at least a little tricky, and then they play Clemson on the road. Drop two to the CFP finalists and one of the three home games, and I’m steering you wrong. Eh. Still, over.
  • Louisville: O/U 9.5 wins— I think Lamar Jackson is better than pundits will indicate, given the way he finished the season. I think the team around him is worse than people think. The offensive line who allowed Jackson to be sacked 47 times LOSES three starters, and Devante Fields and others depart the defense. UNDER
  • N.C. State: O/U 6.5 wins— Respectful of what the Wolfpack team should be this year, I begrudgingly take the OVER, because the under would be too hilarious to consume on cable television (or your streaming device). Seriously though, they bring back everybody from a team that looked scary at times.
  • Syracuse: O/U 4 wins— 4.5 would’ve given me pause, but 4 wins for second-year coach Dino Babers seems a little disrespectful. Central Connecticut State (pump that keystroke count), Middle Tennessee, and Central Michigan SHOULD be three home wins right off the bat! Steal two of three at home from Big East rivals err, Pitt and Boston College, and honorary Big East member Wake. OVER

Preview 2017: ACC Rankings (collegefootballnews.com; Staff)

14. Duke
Every year it’s too easy to rank Duke at or near the bottom of the ACC rankings because of the talent gap with the rest of the conference, and every year the team is more than just competitive. With a great group of linebackers and a rising star quarterback in Daniel Jones – along with one of the best if-everything-was-equal head coaches in David Cutcliffe – the Blue Devils will be better.
Duke 2017 Preview

13. Virginia
The Cavaliers should be far better in the second season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall, but the rest of the ACC will make it hard to make too big a jump. They have two of the nation’s best players in S Quin Blanding and LB Micah Kiser, but the offensive firepower and overall talent and depth aren’t there.
Virginia 2017 Preview

12. Wake Forest
It might not always be pretty, but the Demon Deacons should be effective enough to go bowling again with the strong linebacking corps and DE Duke Ejiofor leading the way. With a fantastic kicking game, a solid ball control offense, and that defense that’ll get off the field, the formula should work.
Wake Forest 2017 Preview

11. Boston College
Will the Eagles open it up a bit? There should be more of a passing game and a better tempo to go along with the always strong defense. Harold Landry should be the best pass rusher in a conference full of star defensive linemen, while the linebacking corps should be stellar. Now the O has to do its part.
Boston College 2017 Preview

10. Syracuse
With enough experience to go along with the offensive pizzazz, the Orange should turn into bigger players in Year Two under head coach Dino Babers. The running game might not be great, and the offensive line is an issue, but the passing attack will be a whole lot of fun.
Syracuse 2017 Preview

ACC Football Rx: Composite Rankings (accfootballrx.com; Hokie Mark)

Composite average 2017 preseason ranking of all 130 FBS teams from @AthlonSports, @espn, and @SBN_BillC pic.twitter.com/oSIzoDqiYL
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) June 14, 2017
ACC Football is getting a lot of love in this year's preseason polls.
3. Florida State
5. Clemson
14. Louisville
19. Miami
24. NC State
25. Virginia Tech
33. Georgia Tech
35. Pittsburgh
38. N. Carolina

It falls off a bit after UNC...
57. Syracuse
58. Wake Forest
60. Duke

...and even more after Duke
71. Boston College
77. Virginia

But take heart, ACC -- the Big Ten is loaded with teams worse than your worst:
86. Illinois
88. Purdue
89. Rutgers

Other

22923597-mmmain.jpg

Effort to make Thruway free for Syracuse commuters gains traction with NY State (PS; Baker)

Syracuse just got one step closer to a toll-free Thruway.

A bill from Sen. John DeFrancisco authorizing commuter permits unanimously passed the State Senate Thursday. It now goes to the New York State Assembly.

DeFrancisco's bill creates a commuter pass for drivers traveling on exits between 34A and 39 on the New York State Thruway. The price of that pass would be only as much as the administrative costs to issue it. The Thruway Authority could, however, charge a higher fee if it demonstrates "significant" loss of revenue.

A review of publicly available data showed the bill could cost the Thruway Authority as much as $1.2 million per year -- a small fraction of the $658 million it collected in tolls in 2014, the most recent year for which data is available.

In 2014, more than 4.6 million vehicles traveled the six exits between 34A and 39.

The legislation came after Onondaga County lawmakers asked state representatives to waive tolls for commuters traveling along local Thruway routes. Legislator John Dougherty introduced the idea in December, pointing to the lack of tolls for local traffic in Buffalo and congestion on roads like Taft Road in Liverpool.

Both Dougherty and DeFrancisco said commuters avoid the Thruway due to tolls.

Does the team still do this? I know it was a Shaffer thing and I liked it, but I am not aware if Coach Babers still does this.

Does the team still do this? I know it was a Shaffer thing and I liked it, but I am not aware if Coach Babers still does this.
I know they used to do this when they did the Quad Walk with the cheerleaders and band. I wish Dino would start that up again. :confused: