Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Can Opener Day!

Does it seem odd that there is a day dedicated to the can opener? Well, did you know that there was about a half century between the invention of canned food and the invention of the can opener? Maybe after all those years of people struggling to open cans without one, they thought the can opener needed some recognition. There was some canning of goods in the Netherlands before 1800, but it was not until 1810 when the preservation of food in cans was patented. By the 1820's, food was being canned in Britain, France, and the United States. But, the first can opener was not patented until 1855 in Britain, and 1858 in the United States. Prior to this, phrases such as "Cut round the top near the outer edge with a chisel and hammer" were written on cans. The early can openers were primitive, however, and the first rotating wheel opener was not patented until 1870. This too was problematic, as the can had to be pierced before the opener could be used. In 1925, a second serrated wheel was added by the Star Can Opener Company, which greatly improved the functionality of the opener. This opener was improved in 1931 so that it had pliers-like handles and could hold a can on its own. This two wheeled opener that held the can is the main style that is still in use today. The first electric can openers were patented in the 1930's, but it wasn't until 1956 when a free standing electric opener by Udico became successful.

SU News

Syracuse Football Coach Dino Babers Talks 2017 Season (1045theteam.com; Goslewski)

Earlier this week, Syracuse Orange head football coach Dino Babers joined Levack and Goz to discuss the upcoming season. Syracuse kicks off their season Friday September 1st at home against Central Connecticut State. The second year head coach for the Orange shared his thoughts on how he feels his team has progressed over training camp this summer. Eric Dungey is slated to be the team’s starting quarterback this season. What are Coach Babers’ expectations for Dungey in year two? The Orange were able to bring in four star recruit and Elite 11 quarterback prospect Tommy DeVito. Will DeVito be red shirting during his first season in Central New York? Plus we find out if Coach Babers’ now legendary pregame and post game speeches are written down before they are told to his team. Even though Goz is a huge Syracuse football fan, Coach Babers does not hold back when it comes to explaining how serious he takes his practices. To hear the interview click on the link below.

zaire-franklin-aeca29ef11a48a8c.jpg

Syracuse Football Position Preview: Linebackers – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (Orangefizz.net; Aki)

When you think of Syracuse under Dino Babers, offense immediately rushes to the mind. And rightfully so. Especially when the defense finished the 2016 season ranked 122nd out of 128 teams in total defense, while allowing 501.1 yards per game. The summary of the defense’s season came in the final game when it surrendered 76 points to Pitt. But somewhere buried in that mess is actually one of the ACC’s best one-two defensive punches: linebackers Zaire Franklin and Parris Bennett.

The linebackers have arguably been the Orange’s strongest unit on either side of the ball since the arrival of Franklin and Bennett. Last season, Franklin earned third team All-ACC honors, including the most points of any Syracuse defender. As for Bennett, he took home All-ACC honorable mention. The tandem became the first pair of SU teammates to each record more than 100 tackles since 2003. As expected, both players earned votes for the 2017 preseason All-ACC teams, with Franklin receiving the most points of any Orange player on either side of the ball.

Other

NYS Fair foods: We tried the Deep Fried Breakfast Sandwich so you didn't have to (PS; Pucci)

Get to know the brave eater
I'm 26 years old, 6 feet 4 inches tall and my doctor chuckled when I told her about the culinary endeavor I was about to embark upon. I could stand to lose a pound or two, and this certainly won't help. The doctor assured me that the body has a remarkable way of fixing itself and that as long as I stop eating like this after the 13 days, I should be OK.

Once this food journey is over, I'll report back and let you know if my weight, blood pressure or cholesterol levels went up.

I'm saving the diet until after Labor Day. Let's eat.

fried-specialties-deep-fried-breakfast-6jpg-f41a5216b4317dc4.jpg

Our first food: The deep-fried breakfast

The man who compressed Thanksgiving dinner into a single deep-fried sandwich last year is back again deep-frying entire meals and worrying cardiologists across New York. Frymaster Jim Hasbrouck is bringing this deep-fried breakfast sandwich to the 2017 state fair.

What is it? Breakfast sausage, bacon, ham, eggs, cheese and hash browns are sandwiched between two pieces of French toast. Sounds extravagant enough, right? Think again. That sandwich is then wrapped in a cinnamon roll, deep-fried, and served with real maple syrup.

• No photos yet, but Syracuse will have a new Military Appreciation Day helmet logo for the Nov. 11 game against Wake Forest. It won't be revealed until the week leading up to the game.

It'll probably be whatever color helmet we choose to wear that day with a camo S.

syracuse-total_2016-helmet-blue-camo.png