sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2713197c699503b733a96885afcb4851aad59b5443a23388570177c159d2efcf.png

Welcome to World Pasta Day!

Life is too short, and I’m Italian.
I’d much rather eat pasta and drink
wine than be a size 0.
Sophia Bush

Warm steaming spaghetti in a rich red sauce, littered with seasoned sausage, black olives, and mushrooms, or a rich Chicken Fettuccine in a creamy garlic white sauce that just absolutely blows your mind. There are over 600 shapes of pasta known to mankind, and their names are descriptive of their shapes. Spaghetti (‘cord’), vermicelli (‘little worms’), rotini (‘spirals’), fusili (‘spindles’), tortellini (‘little cakes’), linguini (‘little tongues’), conchiglie (‘shells’), fettucine (‘small ribbons’), penne (‘quills’) and capellini (‘fine hairs’) are the savoury little goodies that are essential to any pantry.

While Italian food made it famous, it was only a gateway drug of pasta. Chinese Chow Mein and German Spaetzle are just a couple of the ways the world has taken pasta and fallen in love with it all over again.

SU News

Bye Week Midterm: Grading Syracuse Football – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Edelstein)

Syracuse football is now two thirds of the way through the season, and so far, it has been quite the show.

SU stayed on top of Clemson to pull a massive upset over the Tigers, was within two points of LSU in the final minutes of the game, rode alongside NC State for most of the game, finally came out on top of Pitt by three points instead of it being the other way around and could have also stopped the Hurricanes’ winning tear if only the offense started their engine sooner.

So with a 4-4 record that doesn’t tell it all, how is Syracuse really doing?

Here are Syracuse’s midterm grades:

Passing Game: A-

Eric Dungey Ranks 13th among FBS quarterbacks with 2,217 yards. He has accomplished this despite being tied as the sixth most sacked quarterback in FBS football due to both a shaky Syracuse offensive line and his own tendency to scramble out of the pocket.

Both Steve Ishmael (843 yards, ranked 3rd) and Ervin Philips (626 yards, ranked 23rd) are top-25 wideouts so far this season, truly stepping up as a duo to fill the big hole left by Amba Etta-Tawo’s departure to the NFL after last season—a home many originally thought would not be able to be repaired. The two are also rank in the top five for receptions—Ishmael ranks second with 66 and Philips ranks fourth with 61.

Canadian football recruits struggle to be recognized, but Syracuse is in a position to capitalize (DO; Graham)

Patrick Davis was just like most other kids in his neighborhood. Growing up in Gatineau, Quebec, Davis took up hockey at a young age, following his older brother Michael into the nation’s most popular sport. Davis is now 6-foot-5, 320 pounds, and even back then he was much bigger than other players.

Opponents bounced off of Davis, his mother Debbie said, and that he’d get booked with a penalty. After spending almost the entire third period of a game in the penalty box, Davis had enough. Early in elementary school, he told his mom postgame that he wanted to play football.

“Hockey was definitely not his forte,” Debbie said. “He felt appreciated in football.”

But as a Canadian football prospect, Davis inherently drew less attention from football coaches from the United States. To even get Division I looks — Davis dreamt of playing at the highest collegiate level in the United States since he started playing football, Debbie said — he endured a grueling football camp tour before he even got offered a scholarship. Davis’ journey to becoming an offensive lineman at SU (4-4, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) is the story of many Canadian football recruits, as he overcame a vast competitive gap and logistical struggles to even make it on campus.

usa_today_10293935.0.jpg

How Cole Murphy Has Turned Into One Of Syracuse’s Best Players – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Aki)

It’s easy to blame the kicker at every wrong turn. Your expectation is for him to make every kick. They really can only let you down.

In Syracuse’s case, we present Cole Murphy. He is often the butt of many jokes. The scapegoat for Syracuse’s struggles. The forgotten man on SU’s special teams.

But quietly, kicker Murphy has turned himself into one of the best players on the Orange this season.

Case in point: last week, national college football writers jokingly jumpstarted his Heisman campaign.

On The Block On Demand 10-24 (espnsyracuse.com; taped radio; Axe)

Brent starts the show talking SU Football and the need to raise the bar from preseason expectations following a 4-4 start. Then he kicks off the second hour by talking about comments made by Jim Boeheim from SU Basketball media day, particularly one he disagreed with.

Clemson safety Tanner Muse on receiving a tongue-lashing from Dabo (thestate.com; Connolly)

Clemson safety Tanner Muse made one of the biggest plays of the game for the Tigers against Syracuse, but instead of receiving praise for the play when he returned to the sideline, he got a talking to from coach Dabo Swinney.

With Clemson trailing 14-7 midway through the second quarter, Muse picked up a fumble and returned it 63 yards for a score to tie the game at 14.

But as the sophomore celebrated in the end zone he made a hand gesture that resulted in a 15-yard penalty and led to a tongue-lashing from Swinney.

Muse is hoping to use the incident as a learning experience and turn it into a positive.

ACC Football Power Rankings: Miami, NC State stand tall at the top (saturdayblitz.com)

7. SYRACUSE ORANGE
Last week: L at Miami, 27-19
Last rank: 8th

What a two-game stretch Syracuse almost had.

The Orange, who pulled off a Friday the 13th shocker at home vs. Clemson, were unable to do the same on the road this past Saturday, falling to Miami, 27-19.

Eric Dungey struggled against the Hurricane defense, throwing four interceptions and finishing just 13 of 41 for 137 yards. Dontae Strickland did crack the 100-yard mark, rushing for 105, and Dungey added another 100 on the ground.

But the Syracuse defense surrendered 344 yards to Malik Rosier and another 136 on the ground. Cole Murphy did kick through four field goals for the ‘Cuse.

Other

102517_Esports_Schlesinger_APE.jpg

Syracuse poised to add esports as part of a growing collegiate trend (DO; Mintz)

Solomon Bloch can be heard from outside his South Campus apartment screaming at the Nintendo video game “Mario Super Smash Bros.” Bloch, a Syracuse University sophomore, is part of the campus’ gamer community, which may solidify since SU is considering the creation of an esports team.

“To say the school supports us in any way would be the coolest thing,” said Bloch, an applied mathematics major.

SU is trying to capitalize on students like Bloch who are interested in esports, an emerging sport that is centered around multiplayer video game competition.

Esports is paving its way into the collegiate sports landscape, with nearly 40 schools doling out scholarships totaling more than $4 million. The NCAA is not involved, so while some schools have started programs under their athletic departments, others have teams under a specific academic program. SU Athletics doesn’t plan to add esports.

“The focus for Syracuse University athletics is to support the 600 student-athletes on our 20 intercollegiate teams in reaching their full potential,” SU Athletics said in a statement.

Still wonder how they grade all these guys? the football dude on xm-radio that does grading mentioned they do much of it in real time and are watching on TV. How do they even see all the players?

if a QB completes a throw to the wrong guy is that good? if i make a good block on the wrong player is that good? if i am wide open because i ran to a bad spot is that good?

do they have access to the all 22 film?

Still wonder how they grade all these guys? the football dude on xm-radio that does grading mentioned they do much of it in real time and are watching on TV. How do they even see all the players?

if a QB completes a throw to the wrong guy is that good? if i make a good block on the wrong player is that good? if i am wide open because i ran to a bad spot is that good?

do they have access to the all 22 film?

See all those young guys behind Babers during his Clemson victory speech. My guess is they help.

I know the school does grading, but i didnt think the numbers we were seeing on these web sites were being given by schools to PFF.. I know listening to PFF interviews they do it themselves. I tried calling in a couple times when they were on to ask questions on the process but never got thru.

I know the school does grading, but i didnt think the numbers we were seeing on these web sites were being given by schools to PFF.. I know listening to PFF interviews they do it themselves. I tried calling in a couple times when they were on to ask questions on the process but never got thru.

ah, I thought you were talking about the school doing it. No idea on PFF.

Article from a couple weeks ago on PFF. It mentions that they have analysts watch every player of every game. PFF has 350 employees. Wow. And Chris Collinsworth is part owner! Not only that, Brian Kelly bought a share in the company after he sat with them to see how they do their ratings. Prior to that, he was a vocal critic.

Perspective | ‘We’re like a machine’: Cris Collinsworth defends PFF grades against players’ gripes

Last edited: