Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
alascattalo.jpg

Welcome to Asascattalo Day!

Named after Alaska's mythical mascot, a genetic cross between a moose and a walrus, this is a day to celebrate the unique humor enjoyed by the residents of the northern-most state.

SU News

QX1_7960.jpg

Week 12 Notes: The Syracuse Game (bceagles.com)

Boston College looks for its fourth ACC win of the season for the third time in five years Saturday as the Eagles face rival Syracuse inside the Carrier Dome.

• ACC Network (myTV38 in Boston) has broadcast coverage of the game with Tom Werme (play-by-play), Dave Archer (color analyst) and D.J. Shockley (sideline reporter) on the call. Kickoff is set for 12:20 p.m.

• Coverage on the Boston College IMG Sports Network begins at 11:50 a.m. with Jon Meterparel, Pete Cronan and Scott Mutryn. Fans can listen to the game locally on WEEI 850 AM, nationally on TuneIn and on Sirius channel 108 and XM channel 193.

• Boston College became bowl eligible for the fourth time in five years under Steve Addazio with a 39-16 victory over UConn Saturday at Fenway Park.

• Syracuse lost 56-10 at Louisville Saturday and knocked the Orange out of bowl contention.

The Series

• Boston College and Syracuse meet for the 51st time Saturday in series history. Syracuse leads the all-time series 31-19, including a 20-6 mark at home.

• The two teams began series play in 1924 as Syracuse shutout the Eagles 10-0.

Jaire Alexander's 'nonstop' energy turns Louisville's defense around after Syracuse victory (courier-journal.com; Lourim)

Jaire Alexander technically plays defense. But against Syracuse, he put his hands on the ball just as much as the wide receiver he covered.

Alexander, as he often does, handled the task of locking down the opponent’s best receiver, Steve Ishmael, who is a semifinalist for the award given to college football’s best receiver. Ishmael led the Orange with 92 catches for 1,131 yards and six touchdowns entering Saturday.

His worst game until Saturday was against No. 3 Miami, which held him to four catches for 41 yards. Against Louisville, he caught just two for 29.

“(Ishmael is) a tremendous player, and we were really worried about him coming in,” Louisville coach Bobby Petrino said. “We know him well, we recruited him really hard and he’s made a lot of plays in this conference. So, that was an outstanding job of coverage on him."

Syracuse targeted Alexander nine times, according to Pro Football Focus College. Its passer rating on those throws was 4.5. The Orange caught just two of those passes, a 12-yarder to Ishmael and a four-yard loss to Moe Neal. Alexander caught one of them and deflected two others.

102717bcjw10.jpg

Plenty of bowl scenarios in play for Boston College football (bostonherald.com; Thompson)

Boston College attained bowl eligibility for the fourth time in five years under coach Steve Addazio with Saturday’s 39-16 victory against Connecticut at Fenway Park.

Where and when the Eagles will play that bowl game will depend on the outcome of their ACC finale on Saturday at Syracuse.

The ACC has nine potential bowl destinations, not including a conference team that advances to the national playoffs. Only three ACC teams — North Carolina, Pittsburgh and Syracuse — are out of contention.

A win could put BC in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium on Dec. 27. A loss could leave the Eagles going to the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La., also on Dec. 27.

BucketHatism: Syracuse (thecrunchzone.com; Nesbitt)

“ALL RISE!!! Court is now in session. The honorable Bucket Hat King LJ tha Fiasco presiding. Please be seated and come to order”

As I wait for the bucket hat to dry and the feeling to come back to my fingers. As we exit the stadium for the final time this season realizing that next time we see it the capacity will be 65,000 seats. As we all braved the walk back to our cars in our rain soaked clothes, fighting through cold 40 mph wind. Let us remember what we saw for the last few hours of the 2017 home slate. If this is our lasting memory of this team, it was a good one.

I don’t know what will happen in our next two games. I am not sure if we will have a new head coach next year based on the fact Bobby didn’t really give a glowing confirmation when asked about other jobs earlier this week. Not sure if our defensive coordinator will return either or if he has done enough to get another year here. One thing I do know is that the past two weeks have been a lot of fun to watch, and I am just glad the fans were treated to some fun, exciting, football. I am containing myself because I know who is up next and I want to save all my profanity for them, win or lose.

Other

boston-marketjpg-081532a6a08171d5.jpg

9 frozen Thanksgiving turkey TV dinners, ranked (PS; Pucci)

Whether you're entertaining a one-person crowd on Thanksgiving, the Bumpus houndsruined your prized fowl, or you just want your turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy fix in the middle of summer and you can't justify roasting a whole 15-pound bird, frozen turkey dinners might be the answer for you.

But take a walk down the frozen food aisle at your neighborhood supermarket and you'll be overwhelmed with options.

The choices for poultry are definitely not paltry.

I sifted through the goopy gravy and endured watery mashed potatoes and bland frozen vegetables to find the turkey dinners worthy of your valuable grocery money and stomach space. Are any a substitute for a full Thanksgiving dinner? No, but some are actually pretty darn good.

Notes: All the dinners were prepared in the microwave according to the directions printed on each package, because who seriously wants to wait 45+ minutes for a frozen dinner to cook in the oven. The prices listed are regular retail prices; some of the dinners were on sale at the time of purchase. All dinners were purchased at Price Chopper on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse or Wegmans on West Genesee Street in Camillus.