Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
AFU-CUP-MUE-COMBO-2.jpg

Welcome to National Package Protection Day!

National Package Protection Day is the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. It encourages homeowners to stay alert and protect their homes against package theft, which becomes more and more prevalent during the holidays. This year’s Package Protection Day falls on November 29, 2017, so be on the lookout!

The internet has made it easier to find deals and have packages shipped straight to our homes. But this has also made it easier for thieves to snatch our deliveries right from our doorsteps. Cyber Monday, in particular, is a big online shopping day where most purchases are shipped directly to the buyer’s home.

SU News

112017_FBBostonCollege_Schlesinger__APE_121.jpg

Syracuse football grades, evaluations and superlatives following a 4-8 campaign in Year 2 for Dino Babers (DO; Staff)

In head coach Dino Babers’ second year at Syracuse, the Orange once again finished with a 4-8 mark. Starting quarterback Eric Dungey sustained a foot injury and missed the final three games of the season, same as a year ago. A once stout defense fell from 38th in the country to finish at 105th, and Syracuse dropped its final five games.

A season that once held so much promise — the Orange upset then-No. 2 Clemson on Oct. 13 — quickly faded back to defensive struggles and offense that often looked lost without Dungey at the helm. Beat writers Joe Bloss, Matthew Gutierrez and Tomer Langer grade the Orange’s season, pick superlatives and evaluate position groups and the coaching staff.

Grades
Joe Bloss
Quarterbacks: B+
Running backs: C-
Wide Receivers: A-
Offensive Line: C
Defensive Line: B
Linebackers: B+
Secondary: B-
Special Teams: C
Coaching Staff: C-

The biggest positive for Syracuse football - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Powell)

The 2017 season was a roller coaster of emotions for the Syracuse football program. After getting off to a solid start with a season-opening 50-7 victory over Central Connecticut State, the Orange were stunned, 30-23, by Middle Tennessee in their second contest.

The Orange regrouped and stunned top-ranked Clemson in mid-October, handing the Tigers just their second regular season loss in the last three seasons. They also hung with bowl-bound teams such as Miami, LSU, and NC State, all on the road, in September and October.

When the Orange traveled to Tallahassee for a Nov. 4 encounter with Atlantic Division rival Florida State, they were 4-4. With remaining contests against the underachieving Seminoles, along with traditional Atlantic Division bottom feeders Boston College and Wake Forest, the Orange were positioned well for a bowl berth in Dino Babers’ second season. But starting with Derwin James’ deflection of Cole Murphy’s late 43-yard field goal attempt that could have forced overtime, a devastating 27-24 loss to FSU sent Syracuse’s season on a dramatic downward spiral.

Syracuse Football: SU garners a ton of award recognition (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

The Syracuse football season may not have ended the way fans were hoping for, but it wasn’t all bad. ITLH breaks down the national recognition.

Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers has promised a lot since taking the job at SU. Unfortunately a lot of his promises haven’t been realized.

But one that has been realized is from Babers’ initial press conference. He prophesied that records would come tumbling down and boy have they. Marvin Harrison played for the Orange in the 1990’s and his record stood for 25+ years.

That was of course until Steve Ishmael came to town. Then the all-time reception fell with Erv Philips this season. Ishmael claimed another crown in terms of his consistency with eight 100 yard receiving games this season, a program record.

With all those records and stats being accumulated this season under the Orange is the New Fast regime, it wasn’t a matter of if but when SU would get recognized.

2017-09-09-dn-sufoot31jpg-3c5f65c421f7fc71.jpg

Syracuse football 2017: The biggest regrets from a 4-8 season (PS; Axe)

Wait 'til next year. It's all a Syracuse University football fan can do now.

Syracuse finished with 4-8 record in 2017 meaning that for the fourth straight season, SU football fans will watch bowl games come and go across their television screens and not see the Orange participate in one.

Instead of planning a December getaway to New York for the Pinstripe Bowl or Shreveport for the Independence Bowl, Orange fans will get more time to get some holiday shopping done and read up on recruiting.

How close did the Orange come to bowl eligibility? What were the plays, moments and calls they'll regret most from 2017 that could have led to an appearance in a bowl game?

Here is a look back on the biggest moments the Orange want back from 2017.

Syracuse heads into the offseason on a down note (wtop.com; AP)

Five straight losses to end his second season at Syracuse wasn’t what coach Dino Babers envisioned. He remains resolute in his optimism going forward.

“I don’t feel like this is the end of what we’re going to do,” Babers said Saturday after the Orange had lost their final game of the season, 42-14 to Boston College . “I feel like this is the beginning. I really believe that the 2018 season is going to be something we’ll talk about here for a long time.”

Syracuse, which finished 4-8 for the third straight year and hasn’t played in a bowl game since 2013, won only two of eight games in the Atlantic Coast Conference. A season that started with so much optimism quickly began to turn sour when Syracuse was upset at home in early September by Middle Tennessee State, with former Orange head coach Scott Shafer calling the defensive shots for the visitors.

There has been one constant for a team that seems to be stuck in neutral — in all three of his seasons at the helm, dual-threat quarterback Eric Dungey has missed too many games. Overall, he’s missed 10, including the final three of each year, and the Orange have lost all but one of those games.

ACC championship 2017: Syracuse, Notre Dame show Miami how to knock off Clemson (independentmail.com; Kent)

For the Miami Hurricanes to defeat Clemson in their first appearance in an ACC Championship Game, and in the process keep their national championship hopes alive, they should pull out two pieces of game tape from this season.

The first video that coach Mark Richt, his coaching staff and players need to flip the switch on is of the Tigers’ loss Oct. 13 at Syracuse, 27-24. Clemson entered that road contest ranked No. 2 in the nation behind Alabama, just like Miami did last week before losing at Pittsburgh, 24-14.

A slow start, coupled with an untimely injury to starting quarterback Kelly Bryant in the final minute of the first half, spelled doom for the Tigers, but Syracuse exposed some things on both sides of the ball of which Miami needs to take note.

The Orange outgained Clemson, 440-317, and caught the Tigers defense flat-footed, by connecting on six passes of 20 yards or more. Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey threw three touchdown passes — one for 66 yards, one for 30 and one for 23 on the opening drive — and had Clemson’s defense on its heels all night. Miami’s offense, behind junior quarterback Malik Rosier and big-play receivers Braxton Berrios and Charles Herndon IV, is more than capable of duplicating that effort.

Recapping Syracuse Football’s 2017 Season

Other

pa-elkjpg-8c994621b88f154e.jpg

'Lucky' Upstate NY hunter wins tag, shoots gargantuan bull elk in Pennsylvania (PS; Figura)

Robert Cook considers himself one lucky elk hunter. For good reason.

Cook, 67, who lives just outside of Earlville, N. Y. in Madison County, recently traveled to Pennsylvania with his son Justin, and with the help of a guide shot a gargantuan bull elk. He did it courtesy of winning a special tag to hunt a bull elk in the state's, highly competitive elk hunting lottery program.

It was only one of 25 tags for bull elk awarded this year by the state to elk hunters in a lottery program that saw more than 24,000 applicants who each paid $10.90 for the chance. The state also awarded 93 antlessless elk tags to hunters.

In addition, Cook's bull elk tag was the second time he had won one - making him the first double winner in the history of the lottery program that began in 2001. He won his first bull elk tag in 2002 and succeeded then in shooting a bull.

"Rob Cook is the only individual to draw two bull tags. How lucky can you be, eh?" said Bob D'Angelo, senior associate editor of Pennsylvania Game News.

Cook downed the 832-pound (live weight) bull on Nov. 1, the third day of Pennsylvania's special 6-day hunting season. He shot it from more than 80 yards away with a 7 mm Remington Mag rifle in Clearfield County located in the western central part of the state.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having issues with the Daily Orange working with Chrome?

Is anyone else having issues with the Daily Orange working with Chrome?

My laptop is running Windows 7 with Chrome 62, and I keep getting:

Error 403 Forbidden
Forbidden

Guru Meditation:
XID: 121438628

Varnish cache server

However, I can still access the DO on the same laptop using IE.

And I have no problem with the old desktop in my basement (Windows Vista & Chrome 49), and no issues on the ipad (Safari).

I've cleared all the cookies and browsing history with no luck.

My laptop is running Windows 7 with Chrome 62, and I keep getting:

Error 403 Forbidden
Forbidden

Guru Meditation:
XID: 121438628

Varnish cache server

However, I can still access the DO on the same laptop using IE.

And I have no problem with the old desktop in my basement (Windows Vista & Chrome 49), and no issues on the ipad.

I've cleared all the cookies and browsing history with no luck.

Yeah same I tired on both my home PC and work Laptop getting the same, but works fine on IE. Thanks just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.

Cumulus owns Syracuse radio stations 93Q, 95X, 105.9 The Rebel and The Score 1260

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom