Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
yom-kippur-holiday.jpg

Welcome to Yom Kippur!

Yom Kippur (/ˌjɒm kɪˈpʊər, ˌjɔːm ˈkɪpər, ˌjoʊm-/;[2] Hebrew: יוֹם כִּיפּוּר‬, IPA: [ˈjom kiˈpuʁ], or יום הכיפורים‬), also known as the Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year in Judaism.[3] Its central themes are atonement and repentance. Jewish people traditionally observe this holy day with an approximate 25-hour period of fasting and intensive prayer, often spending most of the day in synagogue services.

SU News

ACC Power Rankings: Week 4 (stateoftheu.com; Hadrick)

1. Clemson Tigers 3-0 (LW: 1), Week 3 Result: 38-7 W vs Georgia Southern, Next: @ Georgia Tech 9/22 3:30pm ET
Clemson easily handled Georgia Southern, but lost starting QB Kelly Bryant in the process. Bryant will be back in action this week for their conference clash with Georgia Tech, but Trevor Lawrence continued the QB controversy with a solid outing in which he was 12 of 19 for 194 yards and a touchdown.

2. Virginia Tech Hokies 2-0 (LW: 2), Week 3 Result: vs East Carolina Canceled, Next: @ Old Dominion 9/22 3:30pm ET
The Hokies had the weekend off due to Hurricane Florence. They return to action this weekend against local FCS foe Old Dominion.

3. Miami Hurricanes 2-1 (LW: 3), Week 3 Result: 49-24 W @ Toledo, Next: vs FIU 9/22 3:30pm ET
The Canes finished strong to quell the upset-minded Toledo Rockets. Malik Rosier had a big day scoring 5 TDs, and will hope to use this weekend’s FIU game to continue to positive momentum.

4. Boston College Eagles 3-0 (LW: 4), Week 3 Result: 41-34 W @ Wake Forest, Next: @ Purdue 9/22 12:00pm ET
BC is nipping at the Canes’ heels after a solid ACC victory last Thursday on the road against Wake Forest. The Eagles are being led by outstanding play from QB Anthony Brown (304 yards & 5 TDs against Wake) as well as Heisman-candidate AJ Dillon (33 carries, 185 yards 1 TD), but the defense will need to get back on track for BC to climb this list.

5. NC State Wolfpack 2-0 (LW: 5), Week 3 Result: vs West Virginia Canceled, Next: @ Marshall 9/22 7:00pm ET
The Wolfpack lost a prime opportunity to make a statement against a talented West Virginia team due to Hurricane Florence. They will travel to the same state next week to take on Marshall in their last non-conference matchup of the season.

6. Syracuse Orange 3-0 (LW: 11), Week 3 Result: 30-7 W vs Florida State, Next: vs UConn 9/22 4:00pm ET
The Orange get the big bump in these rankings due to their complete dismantling of Florida State. Despite losing dual threat QB Eric Dungey early on, Syracuse still managed to put up 30 points with backup Tommy Devito (11/16, 144 yds, 1 TD). Dungey is set to return this week against UConn.

McMurphy: Syracuse legit contender in the ACC (msn.com; video; McMurphy)

Sitting at 3-0 in the ACC, is the Syracuse Orange for real? Stadium's college football insider Brett McMurphy sure thinks so. Find out how Dino Babers has turned his team around.

1c8_20180914mjgbp1.jpeg

Syracuse University: A Football School? - Student Union (studentunionsports.com; Owens)

Walking up to the Carrier Dome this weekend, something felt different. There was the usual scattering of drunk people. The dudes yelling at people saying I would go to hell if I didn’t turn my life around. The Abe Lincoln statue with the Bud Light can in his hand. But it felt weird. We walked up to the Dome with a sense of hope. No matter the Florida State team, they should never be taken for granted. Even with Willie Taggart not being able to figure anything out so far at FSU, these are still 5-star recruits across the board. But Saturday afternoon, something new was in the air. I didn’t walk up the hill thinking about how we were about to get the crap kicked out of us. For once in a Syracuse football game, I knew we had a shot. And what happened inside those walls? 37,000 people filled the Dome. It was almost as electric as Cuse knocking off #2 Clemson last season on a Friday night. It was a sleepy noon kickoff on ESPN, but it was ROCKIN inside the Carrier Dome. Florida State never had a chance. The Orange dominated every aspect of the game. 441 yards to FSU’s 240. 25 first downs to 11. 36:53 to 23:07 in time of possession. 222 rushing yards to 62. 8-20 on third down compared to 1-14. Oh, and where the numbers really matter? On the big board? 30-7 Syracuse. Final score. Even without Eric Dungey in the second half, Freshman Tommy DeVito went 11-16 with 144 yards and a touchdown.

So what’s the bigger picture? Cuse football is 3-0 for the first time since 1991. They received 11 AP Top 25 votes, having not been ranked since 2001. This team is legit and could be scary in the ACC Atlantic in a year where Clemson seems to be the only guarantee. ESPN now projects Syracuse at 8-4, a much bigger jump than the 3 to 4 preseason projected wins. The only games they aren’t giving the Orange a legit shot in is on the road against Clemson and Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium. NC State and Boston College will also present challenges. But what Dino Babers has done in his short stint at Syracuse has been huge for Upstate New York. We’re used to being a powerhouse in college basketball. But football? This is new. Babers said he wanted to establish a culture of winning and he has done just that. The difference in this year’s team from last year is obvious. The offensive line can block enough so Eric Dungey isn’t running for his life every play. They can run the ball for the first time in what seems like forever. Their defense has forced more turnovers through three games than they did all of last year.

Syracuse Football: UConn defense is arguably worst in 21st century (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

The next opponent for the Syracuse football squad possesses one of the worst defenses in college football and SU will look to take advantage.

The Orange is the New Fast moniker is finally being maximized with the Syracuse football team. Syracuse is averaging over 485 yards of offense, nearly 50 points per game, and possesses a slew of talented playmakers.
This offense is firing on all cylinders and it shouldn’t be a coincidence that Eric Dungey is in his final year of eligibility. Head coach Dino Babers has never had a quarterback in his system this long and it is showing on the football field.

This is a horrible matchup on paper and the odds makers agree. Syracuse is a 97.5 percent favorite (according to ESPN BPI Analytics) to win this game. Which translates to the Orange being a 27.5 point favorite in the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon.
Syracuse can’t afford to look past anyone. But even with that being said, the Orange are expected to smash the Huskies and you can see why. If the Orange are able to knock off UConn they’ll improve to 4-0 for the first time since 1991.
Then Syracuse will have eight games remaining to try and get at least three wins to get back to a bowl (haven’t been to one since 2013). But perhaps the Orange have even higher expectations?

While things aren’t going quite as smoothly for the next opponent on Syracuse’s schedule: the UConn Huskies.
UConn is the only team since at least 2000 (could be even further back) to give up 2,000 total yards of offense in its first three games. 2,020 yards if we’re going to be exact. That’s an average of over 670 yards per game allowed and giving up an average of 56 points per contest. Good lord have mercy.

Syracuse football: Orange on a roll in third season under coach Dino Babers | NCAA.com (ncaa.com; Kekis; AP)

When the clock ticked to zero on Saturday and Syracuse had beaten another marquee team at home, Orange coach Dino Babers didn't have to flinch.

"I didn't get hit with any ice or water," said Babers, in his third season at Syracuse. "That means that they expected to win. A lot of guys thought that we could do that, thought we had a chance. It was good to see them follow through."
In retrospect, Babers probably would have enjoyed an icy bath — the temperature in the Carrier Dome was stifling, hovering near 90 degrees after the Orange had soundly defeated Florida State 30-7 with backup quarterback Tommy DeVito at the helm in the decisive second half.

What The D.O.’s beat writers have to say about SU's latest win (DO; Staff; podcast)

The Daily Orange’s football beat writers discuss Syracuse’s 30-7 win over Florida State on Saturday in the Carrier Dome. Andy Mendes, The D.O.’s digital editor, also weighs in on head coach Dino Babers’ passionate post-game victory speech.

JOSH SCHAFER: And we’re back, the DO sportscast, Josh Schafer here with Andrew Graham and Matt Liberman and we have a special guest off the top, Andy Mendes our digital editor, also known from Andy on the Promenade on our weekly Snapchat story which is absolutely hilarious, has been brought on to grade Dino Babers’ hype speech after the Florida State win. Syracuse won 30-7. Andy, why don’t you say hello to the listeners real quick?
ANDY MENDES: Hello, hello, excited to be here, you know it’s gonna be a great opportunity to branch out.
SCHAFER: So what we’re gonna do is: Graham has Dino’s hype speech up on his computer. Graham is just gonna press play, you’ll hear the hype speech in the background. When Andy wants to stop and make a comment, we’ll pause and make a comment, and at the end Andy will grade the speech on a one to ten scale. Graham, let’s get it rollin’.
*Dino Babers hype speech plays in the background*
BABERS: The last time this happened, the ’66 Mustang was the baddest thing on the road.
MENDES: We can stop her. I – this is a lot already for me. I’m glad that we have a good Beatles reference, I’m glad we’re already talking about like — but like the ’60’s, like does anybody care about the ’66 Mustang? Does anybody know what this is?
SCHAFER: I can tell you probably none of the players do.
MENDES: There’s no way they do. They’re like: ‘Cool that’s a year.’

There’s still plenty to learn about this Syracuse football team - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

I get it, I get it, I get it. Really, I do.

Syracuse is 3-0 on the strength of beating Florida State for the first time in over 50 years. The unheralded Orange defense dominated FSU’s top-notch recruits, holding them to 1-of-14 on third downs, 62 rushing yards, and 240 total yards of offense. Tommy DeVito was forced into action by a metaphorical grain of sand in Eric Dungey’s eye and led the SU offense to a superb second half performance, blowing open a tight game.

Syracuse fans, you’re totally stoked about what’s happening. Things look like a return to 2012, when the Orange won eight games, could be in the cards. And maybe a return to 2001 is in the near future. That is when SU last logged ten wins, including a bowl game rout of Kansas State.
But, what have Dino Babers and his troops really accomplished to this point? And is this sustainable?

To the first point, Syracuse had their way with Western Michigan for three quarters en route to an easy win. The Orange then toyed with Wagner, a lower-division school. And SU methodically wore down Florida State on Saturday, gradually pulling away with three consecutive second half scoring drives that turned a 6-0 lead into a 23-0 stranglehold.

The win over the Seminoles is obviously the notable one, as that name-brand program sticks out like a sore thumb on the early part of the schedule. But, are they deserving of that name-brand status?

FSU lost their opener at home to Virginia Tech, turning the ball over five times and giving up five sacks. The next week, Florida State fell behind FCS opponent Samford in the first three minutes, never led until just over four minutes remained, and needed a pick-six to hold on for the win. Then, the Carrier Dome happened.

Relax. UNC can still win the Coastal. Here's how :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Staley)

As we head into week four of the college football season, North Carolina sits at 0-2. Fans are feeling frustrated, and the team is no doubt disappointed. But after an unscheduled week off for everyone to lick their wounds, I am here to tell you that all hope is not lost. This season is salvageable. A Coastal division title is still possible!

Do you remember in 2015 when the Heels lost the opening game to South Carolina and then went undefeated the remainder of the regular season? Not long after the game one loss, I started a weekly tradition. After every Carolina victory, I tweeted a simple question. “What if Carolina football goes 11-1 and their only loss is to South Carolina?” You probably don’t believe me, so here’s proof:

As it turns out, maybe I should have just let the fact that the Heels went 11-1 be enough of a reward, as the last two games of the season weren’t all that pretty.

Regardless of how the postseason played out, what’s important to note here is that an opening season loss didn’t derail the 2015 squad, and there’s still a chance that Carolina can use the extra preparation time between ECU and Pittsburgh to shock the country (or at least the ACC). Here’s a quick look at Carolina’s eight ACC games this season with an explanation of why each game is winnable.

Pittsburgh (home). Tar Heel football owns Pitt. Carolina has won five straight games over the Panthers since they joined the ACC in 2013. That includes a 34-31 victory last season, the Heels’ lone conference win of 2017. Carolina by 10 in the friendly confines of Kenan Stadium.

Miami (away). While it’s true that Connor Barth isn’t walking through that door, the Heels may not need him. Miami did not look great (or even all that good) against their only real challenge of the season in LSU. And while the Butch Davis storyline will be interesting when the Canes take on FIU this weekend, like their two games since the LSU debacle, it likely won’t be much of a challenge. So the Canes will be playing their first game against a Power 5 opponent in a month when they face Carolina, while the Heels will be fresh off their victory over Pitt. Give me Carolina by six in Coral Gables.

Virginia Tech (home). With Hurricane Florence safely in the rearview mirror, I like Carolina’s chances in this game. Sure, the Hokies mopped the floor with the Heels during Hurricane Matthew, but if there is no rain water for them to mop up during this game, then my money is on the Heels in a close one.

Syracuse (away). We all know the narrative. “Any team in the Atlantic could beat any team in the Coastal by 100 points.” This may be the season that the script gets flipped on that one, though (with the exception of Clemson). Syracuse looked great this weekend against Florida State, but I’m not sure how much of that was the Orange being good and how much of that was the Noles being not good at all. Also, as much as it pains me to say (given that he’s the starting quarterback on my fantasy football team), I just can’t imagine Eric Dungey still being healthy this late in the season. The Syracuse star takes about six shots to the head per game. Carolina rolls, and the confidence builds.

Other

Cops: Man filmed dirt bike ride through Schenectady Price Chopper (video) (PS; Tampone)

A Schenectady man allegedly rode his dirt bike through a Price Chopper store in the city earlier this month.
Traitin Knight, 23, faces one count of misdemeanor reckless endangerment in connection with the incident, which took place Sept. 1 at about 9:30 p.m., according to The Daily Gazette in Schenectady.
Knight wore a GoPro camera and recorded as he drove the bike from the parking lot, through the doors of the store and along the checkout area, police said, according to the Gazette. Several shoppers can be seen moving out of Knight's way in the video.
The video was uploaded to YouTube where it has been viewed over 10,000 times so far. Police said Knight also posted the video to his Facebook page.

After passing a number of people in the store, including children, the rider exits through another door. The video ends with some footage of the rider outside the store in the parking lot and on the street.
The video also flips at one point to show the rider leaving the store from the perspective of another person, according to the Gazette. The paper said it was unclear if the other person has been identified or charged.
Police are trying to identify some of the shoppers seen in the video since it would help prosecute Knight, according to the Gazette. Anyone who sees themselves in the video or knows someone in the video should call Schenectady police at 518-382-5245.

Really good article with lots of insight into how Syracuse developed into a national power in college football in the late 1980s and beyond. Randy was a great recruiter and a fine tactician too but his limitations in other areas prevented him from being successful as a head coach. Too bad he couldn't have stayed at Syracuse longer...

this is why i wish betting was easier.. you can now see a way to win the atlantic and not have to beat clemson, well worth a bet at 80-1