Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
0527-NATIONAL-CELLOPHANE-TAPE-DAY-1024x536.png

Welcome to Cellophane Tape Day!

In the early 1920s, Richard Gurley Drew worked at the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, now known as 3M, which at the time made sandpaper. Drew delivered sandpaper samples to auto body shops and saw the frustration that car painters had when painting two-tone color cars. Surgical adhesive tape, library pastes, and homemade glues were used to hold newspapers on cars when painting, and as the papers were removed, sticking residues often remained, that ripped off some of the paint when they were peeled off.

Drew invented masking tape, and created it with crêpe paper, cabinetmaker's glue, and glycerin. It adhered well to cars when painting, and also came off easily afterward without taking paint away. It was marketed as Scotch Masking Tape in 1925. The name "Scotch" stems from an ethnic stereotype that said Scottish people were stingy. Some stories claim that the tape didn't adhere well at first, or didn't have adhesive in the middle of it. The stories purport that Drew was told to go back to his "Scotch" bosses and to tell them to add more adhesive, or that they asked him why he was being so "Scotch" with the adhesive. It is unclear if Drew actually had these conversations, but nonetheless, the name stuck, as did the final version of the tape.

SU News

Syracuse makes top 6 for four star Kechaun Bennett (247sports.com; McAllister)

One of Syracuse football's top targets in the 2021 recruiting class has trimmed his list to six. Four star defensive end/linebacker Kechaun Bennett of Suffield Academy in Connecticut included the Orange on his list of six schools released Tuesday night. Joining Syracuse was California, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame and Ole Miss. Bennett previously visited Syracuse in early March for Junior Day and the Orange have recruited him as hard as any school on his list as they make him one of their top priority targets.

"They just show a lot of love," Bennett said of his decision to include Syracuse on his list. "I have seen the position they would have me play and it's crazy. Like I would really be able to show off my abilities and make big plays. I don't remember what it's called but it's an edge rusher kind of like a linebacker but I'll be on the line more and I have to guard the running back or tight end when I have to."

When Bennett visited Syracuse for Junior Day on March 8th, one of the biggest takeaways was speaking with the coaches about his fit into the new 3-3-5 system under new defensive coordinator Tony White and linebackers coach Chris Achuff. He also enjoyed touring the facilities and getting a closer look at the program as well as the campus. He even got to see a spring practice before they were cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Sanchez calls Syracuse offer 'unbelievable feeling' (247sports.com; McAllister)

New Jersey is a heavily recruited stated by programs across the country at the FBS, FCS, division two and division three levels. The class of 2022 has a lot of promise within the Garden State. One of the standout players at one of the state's best programs recently picked up his first offer. Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's Prep wide receiver Jaylan Sanchez was offered by the Syracuse Orange just a few days ago, and he was excited about the opportunity.

"Coach (Vince) Reynolds had set up a call with me," Sanchez said. "At first we were having a regular conversation and we go on to talk about my game and how my film was. And the first time we met which was at a throwing session he was at with my quarterback. He complimented me on my game, told me to keep working, and after he followed up telling me he would like to offer me. It was amazing. It still till now doesn’t feel real. My family was more than happy and I’m still in shock. Love the program, the coaches, the environment. Still an unbelievable feeling."

Sanchez has not been to the Syracuse campus for a visit yet, but is hopeful that once the coronavirus pandemic subsides and the NCAA allows official and unofficial visits again, he will be able to do so. Perhaps that is this fall during the season or maybe afterwards during the 2021 spring football season. A lot of that is up in the air, but he is looking forward to seeing Syracuse in person and already has a high opinion of the program.

With family as his biggest fans, Norwalk's Evan Adams signs with NFL's Ravens (ctinsider.com; Stewart)

Evan Adams has had many blessings over the years. There's the size and athletic ability which helped him become a star football lineman while at Norwalk High, as well as a determined spirit which carried him to central New York for a four-year career and a college diploma at Syracuse University.

Adams' greatest blessing is much closer to home and heart: A large and supportive family which has stood by him every step of the way.

I never run out of people to call, Adams said. If I'm having a bad day, I can call anybody and they'll dig me out. They're always there to be my biggest supporters, and they always look out for me and make sure that I'm good.

Adams and his family have plenty to celebrate, as the lineman signed a free agent contract with the NFL's Baltimore Ravens on April 25.

A 6-foot-6, 350-pound offensive guard for Syracuse, Adams earned an undergraduate degree in human development and family science before getting ready for a possible shot at the NFL.

I've been training for this moment my entire life and it's been a long journey to get to where I am now, Adams said. Luckily I've been able to maintain my status as an athlete through hard work and dedication, and having the right people around me who care about me, take care of me, and hold me to my convictions and my core beliefs.

ESPN Names College Football's Best Team To Not Win A National Title (thespun.com; Lyons)

ESPN‘s Bill Connelly took a look at these best non-champions in college football history. He says he used his SP+ metric, which measures team efficiency, as a starting point, but took creative license from there. His answer for the No. 1 team that didn’t win a title dating back to the start of the AP Poll in 1935: 1959 Ole Miss.

College football is the ultimate small-sample sport. That means 2 things:

1. The best team often doesn't win the title.
2. The Best Non-Title Teams Ever list is awfully impressive.

Let's look at that list, eh?Our top college football teams that failed to win the national championship

— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) May 26, 2020

1959 was one of the years where college football had two all-time great teams. Ole Miss is a worthy national championship club, but so is the team that finished atop the polls that year: Syracuse, led by eventual Heisman winner Ernie Davis.

How good was this Ole Miss team? The Rebels gave up 21 points all year — three touchdowns off either special teams or a turnover. No one scored on a drive of double-digit plays all season. The Rebels also averaged 31.8 points per game, third in the country. My historical SP+ ratings rank this team the third best of the 20th century. LSU needed multiple red zone stands and maybe the greatest punt return of all time to win 7-3 in Baton Rouge. Ole Miss got its revenge with a 21-0 win in the Sugar Bowl, but the damage was done. Syracuse won the national title, and Johnny Vaught’s Rebels were left to secure the Best Team Not To Win It All crown.

'Still really exciting:' Central York quarterback adds ACC school to growing offer list (ydr; Alibone)

Even with in-person recruiting activities yet to restart, Beau Pribula is still picking up Division I offers.

He announced his 12th on Memorial Day.

The Central York rising junior quarterback picked up an offer from Virginia Tech. The Hokies are coming off an 8-5 season and compete in the ACC under head coach Justin Fuente.

Pribula now has seven Power Five offers: Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers (Big Ten); Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Wake Forest (ACC); West Virginia (Big 12).

His other offers are from Sacred Heart, Temple, Old Dominion, Buffalo and Connecticut.

The offers have been pouring in for Pribula this summer and he's also been rated as the No. 1 quarterback in the country in the Class of 2022 by the national recruiting service QB Hit List.

However, like he has said before, Pribula said it's not hard staying focused and preventing the attention from college schools from consuming him.

"No it's never overwhelming," he said over the phone Tuesday. "I'm still really excited every time I hear from a school and get an offer."

Here are the 6th to 10th best seasons in Syracuse history - The Juice Online (the juice; McGlynn)

On Monday, we ranked the top 11 through 15 best seasons in Syracuse athletics history. Today, we continue our countdown with seasons 6 through 10.

Make sure to check back in next Monday as we finish out our rankings with spots 1 through 5!

10. 2008 women’s lacrosse
While the goal was no doubt to win a national championship, the 2008 women’s lacrosse team took home some silverware. ‘Cuse won the regular season Big East title and the Big East tournament that year before making a run to the final four in the NCAA tournament. They boasted a lethal scorer in Christina Dove who rewrote the record books that year with 75 goals. Katie Rowan shattered the single-season assists record as well. The season ended with an unfortunate dud against eventual national champion Northwestern, but it was a sign that Syracuse was on the verge of becoming a regular contender.

9. 2009 men’s lacrosse
In case you weren’t aware, Syracuse is actually a lacrosse school. The program’s most recent national title was not as clear cut in domination as many of the other seasons the school has put together, but it holds some special significance. ‘Cuse beat some of its biggest rivals in the NCAA tournament, topping Maryland, Duke and Cornell to seize the school’s 11th title. That championship game went into overtime as well, building up just a bit more drama before the Orange won back-to-back titles. In winning this second-straight championship, Syracuse joined Johns Hopkins as the only schools win consecutive titles on two separate occasions.

» Related: Ranking the all-time top 25 Syracuse sports seasons (11-15)

8. 2014 women’s lacrosse
There has never been a season where it was more clear that Syracuse was a top-two team in the country. The Orange went 21-3 picking up wins over both Florida and Northwestern. They reached the ACC tournament final and the NCAA tournament final. Kayla Traenor set a program record by scoring an eye-popping 79 goals that season. Unfortunately, the one team that was better than ‘Cuse that season was Maryland, who was responsible for all three of the Orange’s losses. The team held its own against the Terps in the final, but ultimately lost by three. Still, those 21 wins stand as a program record.

7. 1987 football
1987 didn’t end with a national championship for Syracuse football. It actually ended with a lot of controversy. In what should have been a glorious end to an undefeated season, Auburn decided to settle for a tie in the Peach Bowl rather than play an overtime period. I won’t get into how cowardly a move that was, but it marred what was a fantastic season for the Orange. ‘Cuse entered that game at 11-0 with wins over a number of rivals, including Penn State, Pittsburgh, Boston College and West Virginia. Quarterback Don McPherson finished as the runner up in the Heisman Trophy voting that year as well. Coach Dick MacPherson’s crew finished the season No. 4 in the AP Poll, the program’s best finish since the 1959 national championship season.

Edwards Recalls Win Over Syracuse to Conclude First Unbeaten, Untied Regular Season in 1988 - West Virginia University Athletics (wvusports.com; Antonik)

It was the only time West Virginia players were ever asked to return to the field to take a victory lap after a home victory.

And for good reason – coach Don Nehlen's Mountaineers' 31-9 win over 14th-ranked Syracuse on Nov. 19, 1988 gave them their first undefeated, untied regular season record in school history.

Tonight, you can relive that great memory as part of our continuing Mountaineer Memory series of games airing on MSN affiliates and digital platforms that will conclude next Monday night with West Virginia's great 2006 Nokia Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia.

The Syracuse triumph holds special meaning to Morgantown High product Willie Edwards, who made the play of the game in the third quarter when he intercepted Todd Philcox's pass on the far side of the field and returned it 49 yards for a touchdown.

Edwards' pick-six turned a once pensive Mountaineer Field upside down.

After that the party was on!

1988 Perfect

Edwards said he studied that play on film and knew exactly where Philcox was going to go with the football as the play unfolded.

"I was the boundary corner so my deal was I watched film," he explained. "I liked to know their tendencies, and I looked at the way they lined up and I was like, 'Alright, they are lined up like this and this is what they are going to do.'

"I kind of knew what was going to happen with (fullback Darryl) Johnston coming out in the flat, and I was playing a squat corner. I kind of pressed the receiver and dropped back, but when I saw Johnston coming I said, 'That's going to be the easy throw for this quarterback.' I jumped it and I almost ran past it because I jumped it so quick," he said.

Plans take shape for reopening (RX; HM)

Plans take shape for reopening

Schools are piecing together plans for college football this Fall. Here are two of them...

Clemson football, basketball to return for workouts June 8
Clemson football and men’s and women’s basketball student-athletes are set to return to voluntary activity beginning June 8. The move comes as Clemson University announced its phased return plan last week, including the NCAA’s decision to permit voluntary activity for all sports.

Student-athletes may return back to the Clemson area as early as June 1 while undergoing a period of social and physical distancing - seven days at home prior to return to the area, and seven days in the Clemson area. Once this period is complete without symptoms, the student-athletes are eligible to begin pre-participation physicals with Clemson Sports Medicine. This physical includes a test for COVID-19, as well as an antibody test. Student-athletes must also complete a daily screening before entering facilities.

Clemson has a 3-phased plan to get
students and coaches back on campus.

Clemson Athletics has planned a three-phase approach to return... All phases include guidelines for social distancing, face coverings, enhanced sanitization, limited groups, modified use of space and other safety measures...

Phase I includes just those staff members directly responsible for the health and well-being of student-athletes, as well as those preparing facilities for Phase II. Sport coaches are expected to work remotely for Phase I, which will last no fewer than 14 days... Phase II and Phase III each further integrate staffs and student-athletes...

Iowa State University

Iowa State caps stadium attendance at 30,000 for home games
It is clear a football season is going to happen in 2020. The only question was, is and remains: Will games be played in stadiums full of fans? Iowa State became the first to answer what its plans are, though the school left open the possibility things could change later.

Athletics director Jamie Pollard wrote to fans Tuesday morning, announcing that the school will limit the number of fans at Cyclone home games, citing current guidelines set by state and local officials. Pollard said Jack Trice Stadium, which seats 61,500, will open its gates to 30,000 fans in 2020.

The school has 22,000 season ticket holders who have renewed for 2020, and those 22,000 are allowed to attend all home games. Those who renew before June 12 also will be allowed to attend every home game, up to 30,000.

BREAKING: ACC FB TV Schedule Delayed (RX; HM)

BREAKING: ACC FB TV Schedule Delayed

From an official ACC release, Tuesday, May 26th, 2020:

A Joint Statement on Behalf of the Football Bowl Subdivision Conferences, along with CBS Sports, ESPN, FOX Sports and Their Affiliated Networks:

Collectively, the conferences and television networks have agreed to an extension for determining college football’s early season game times beyond the standard June 1 deadline. These kickoff times and network designations will be announced at a later date as we all continue to prepare for the college football season.
So hang loose everyone - as if you didn't already know, the early season ACC football TV schedule will be delayed, but it IS coming...

What if C-USA/Sun Belt merged? (RX; HM)

What if C-USA/Sun Belt merged?

Ever since it became clear that TV networks weren't going to pay big bucks for having small fan bases in multiple states, many have wondered why Conference USA and the Sun Belt Conference don't realign themselves to at least save on travel costs.

The Coronavirus pandemic just adds one more reason to do so - to control contagion.

Here's a map with all of the current football teams from both conferences combined (24 in all):

C-USA + Sun Belt

Can you even tell which teams are C-USA and which are SBC? Don't feel bad - neither can I without looking it up! So, someone explain to me why they both need teams in Alabama, Louisiana, North Carolina and Texas? Why not combine the teams and realign into geographical divisions? One possibility is shown in the map above - but there are other ways to minimize travel costs.

If these two conferences are ever going to consider geographical realignment, the pandemic offers perfect cover for the faint of heart.

By the way - for the record - here are the football* teams in each conference:

C-USA SchoolsLocation
University of Alabama at BirminghamBirmingham, Alabama
Florida Atlantic UniversityBoca Raton, Florida

Other

CMXD3RQ7MBF4FASPYIE2DM7KHY.jpg

Phase two could begin as soon as Friday in CNY: What will you be able to do? (PS; Baker)

The second phase of the Central New York restart plan appears to be coming this week, opening another major chunk of the region’s economy.

Here’s what is likely to happen by this weekend: Offices will prepare to reopen to employees. Barbershops and salons will start cutting hair and painting nails again. Syracuse’s mega-mall, Destiny USA, will welcome shoppers. Local stores will let people inside to browse. Churches will hold slimmed-down services.

Central New York is on track to begin phase two as early as Friday, barring any large viral outbreak. Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon was optimistic Tuesday that the region would be able to reopen more businesses.

That means thousands of people will be able to return to their workplace in some capacity. And people will be afforded a few more of the amenities that have been shut off since March.

“Phase two is aggressive,” McMahon said Tuesday.

Phase two includes these broad categories:

• professional services
  • retail
  • administrative support
  • finance and insurance
  • real estate/rentals and leasing
Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office hasn’t yet released a more detailed list of industries included in the next phase, as it did when Central New York started phase one.

With the guidelines for phase two still vague, business owners are taking it upon themselves to come up with a safety plan and make their case. Sky Armory, an events venue in Syracuse, contended private events are a part of phase two and the owner said it plans to start hosting small weddings soon.

As early as Friday, Destiny USA will reopen its doors and its stores. Customers will be able to walk the concourse and shop at retail outlets. The mall is developing procedures for limiting congestion and keeping people away from each other, according to McMahon.

The entertainment venues and restaurant dining rooms will stay closed. That means no movies, no bowling, no quirky museums and no children’s play zones.

Last edited: