Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1393255887405.jpeg

Welcome to National Onion Rings Day!

Legend has it that French King Louis XI requested a new snack be made for him in 1469. He was presented with onion rings, he didn't like them, and then he had their inventor killed. While this was the end of the inventor, thankfully, this was not the end of onion rings. Made of onions cut into rings (or sometimes of onion paste) and dipped into batter or bread crumbs and then deep-fried, they are popularly eaten nowadays as a side dish or on their own.

Even after taking King Louis XI out of the equation, onion ring origins still are clouded in grease. A recipe for "Fried Onions With Parmesan Cheese" appeared in The Art of Cookery Made Easy and Refined, a cookbook by John Mollard published in 1802. It called for "cutting onions into 1/2 inch rings, dipping them into a batter made of flour, cream, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese then deep frying them in boiling lard," and to serve them “with a sauce made of melted butter and mustard.” Early print recipes include one for "French Fried Onions" that appeared in Middleton, New York's Daily Times in 1910, and one for "deep-fried onion rings that are dipped in milk then dredged in flour" that was in New York Times Magazine in 1933 as part of a Crisco advertisement.

SU News

schuster.jpg

Chad Schuster Gets Closer Look at Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2022 Franklin (Wisc.) High offensive tackle Chad Schuster spent this past weekend on the Syracuse campus for an official visit. AllSyracuse.com caught up with him to discuss how it went.

Q: Tell me about the visit. What did you do while on campus?
Schuster: "We toured all over the campus and football facilities and then went to eat as a group of few times. The best parts were seeing all their top ranked schools and going inside the Dome."

Q: Who was your player host, and what was it like hanging out with the players?
Schuster: "My host was Airon Servais. He was a really cool guy and so were his roommates. Everyone he was around seemed to have a really good bond with him and everyone in general seemed to have a strong bond with one another. It was cool having him because he grew up just a few hours away from where I am in Wisconsin. So we could relate a little bit in that sense. But overall, he was a really great guy and I really hope he can get a chance to make it to the Draft and play in the NFL some day."
Q: Did you enjoy going to the arcade with the recruits and team?
Schuster: "The arcade was good. I was mainly watching the Bucks in game seven when we were there, but it was still pretty good."
Q: Which coaches do you talk to and what was it like spending time with them in person?
Schuster: "I talked to practically every single coach. Everyone seemed to know our names and went out of their ways to say hi and talk about where we grew up, about the school/facility, hobbies, etc. So the fact that they were all the same way in everyone just being so sociable with the recruits made the whole visit a lot better."
Q: What was the message from the Syracuse coaches?
Schuster: "They were definitely showing a lot of interest in me and really wanted me to commit there. For my role, we talked a little bit about it but not too much. I've played, obviously, tackle my whole high school career, and at camps I take reps at guard. So I'm pretty versatile on the line."

1624360638664.jpeg

DeAunte Hunter Discusses Syracuse Official Visit (SI; McAllister)

One of Syracuse football's top linebacker targets in the 2022 class is Valdosta (Ga.) Lowndes backer DeAunte Hunter. AllSyracuse.com caught up with Hunter, who took an official visit to Syracuse over the weekend.

Q: How was the visit and what stood out?

Hunter: "One thing that stood out was how friendly everyone was there. The athletes, the ones that were already there, the players that showed us around."

Q: Who was your player host and what was it like hanging out with him?

Hunter: "My host was Mikel (Jones). The coaches paired me with him, and he told me a lot of things about New York. They let us go out with him for a night and let him show us the city by himself. It was fun. We went out at night most of the time. During the day we hung out with the coaches. Then the one night we went bowling, did go-karts, went out to eat a couple times. It was fun. I went with Quan (Peterson) and the other recruits too."

Q: What did you think of the campus and facilities?

Hunter: "The campus surprised me. Campus was big. The weight room was big too."

Q: Which coach did you spend the most time with?

Hunter: "I mostly spent time with coach Achuff. I was with coach Achuff the most, and then he handed me over to Mikel at night. He was asking me how my day was going, how I like it up there."

Q: Were you able to meet with head coach Dino Babers?

Hunter: "At the end before we left. Had a conversation with the head coach, then we had a conversation with coach White, also. The sit down with coach Babers was about recruiting. To be open to every school and not really to speed it up, but as you go around on visits and unofficial visits, weight the pros and cons and see what you want to do after that."

Top 100 Linebacker DeAunte Hunter Calls Visit to Syracuse “Amazing” – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Amendolara)

DeAunte Hunter is being recruited by a school that played in the Peach Bowl, is a preseason Top 10 squad, and a trendy pick to crash the CFB Playoff. But it was his trip to Syracuse this weekend that the 3-star linebacker called “amazing.”

The 6’4″, 200 lb. standout from Georgia is a top 100 linebacker in the nation, according to 247 Sports. The weekend in CNY spurred him to announce his top 10 list late next week. Cincinnati may be the most formidable competition on that list for SU. The Bearcats had an undefeated regular season last year, and won the American before losing a tight bowl game to #9 Georgia.

After an amazing weekend in New York, I’ve decided I will be releasing my top 10 July 1st. #JuicedUp @CuseFootball @CoachBabersCuse @Rivals @247Sports @LHSvikingsFB pic.twitter.com/yZzD49iY4b
— DeAunte Hunter (@hunter_deaunte) June 21, 2021

Hunter also has offers from Power 5 schools Ole Miss and West Virginia, so don’t be surprised if they make his cut down list. He used the #JuicedUp hashtag when tweeting about his visit and included Dino Babers‘ handle. All good signs for the Orange.

His older brother Jacques Hunter is a Vanderbilt commit, and is lauded by coaches for his maturity, He told a Valdosta newspaper last fall, “First and foremost, I want to make sure I get there and immediately get straight to having a concrete place to start with my grades like I did in high school.” It says a lot about the Hunters as a family. Jacques also believes his younger brother is going to be a better player than him.

A Hint on Syracuse's QB Battle, Defensive Line Is Underappreciated and Boeheim's Army's TBT Draw 6/22 (audible.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

The author is the dumbest blogger in history

The Athletic's "State of the Program" series is out and the guys discuss a hint at who Syracuse's starting QB might be. Is there an outside influence that might determine who the winner is? Plus, the defensive line has quietly put up some pretty impressive stats over the past three seasons. Are we overlooking how their play has impacted the rest of the defense? Also, Boeheim's Army received its draw for The Basketball Tournament. Tim Leonard and Tyler Aki discuss it all and more on the Tuesday edition of the Locked on Syracuse Podcast.

Tiering and Ranking the ACC Football Stadiums (SI; Wolfe)

As we slip deeper into the summer, the football content machine slowly winds down. Which means we naturally have to start generating some controversy and/or discussion to keep the content gods happy. One of the best ways to do this make lists and rank things. Now, some people think these lists are a lazy way to make content and inspire discussion. So without further ado, let’s get into the list.

For these articles, I will post my tiers and rankings for a bunch of Boston College and ACC-related things. Some will be football-focused, like positional groups, while others will be more fun, like helmets or mascots. The headings will be the tiers and then I will explain the rankings within each tier. At the end of the article, you can see all the tiers in one picture made on Tiermaker.com. For our first list, I ranked the stadiums of the schools in the ACC.

P-Tier: Professional Stadiums - Miami (Hard Rock Stadium), Pittsburgh (Heinz Field)

I originally tried to put these stadiums into the rankings, but it felt unfair to those schools, stadiums, and the rest of the conference. These stadiums were not built for these schools and are not on their respective campuses. Additionally, as a Steelers fan and a frequent visitor to Pittsburgh, I believe I cannot be fair on where to rank Heinz Field.

With that being said, I do not think I would find many qualms with ranking it over Hard Rock Stadium. Obviously, Hard Rock is much more modern and has hosted many high-profile bowl games. But it is more than a half-hour drive from Miami’s campus, it always looks extremely poorly attended, and frankly just looks weird with its big flat top. Heinz Field, conversely, is only a 10-minute drive from Pitt’s campus and is a much more integral part of the city. It also suffers from the same attendance issue, but it would be nearly impossible for Pitt to build their own football stadium, especially on campus.

F-Tier: Aesthetically Displeasing with No Character - Duke (Wallace-Wade Stadium), Syracuse (Carrier Dome)

Now it’s time to make people mad. Duke’s old high school stadium is not only among the worst in the ACC, but all of college football. Normally, I have a soft spot for stadiums with one end somewhat open, as long as they have some kind of hill or some unique feature there. Duke does not; it’s just a sad scoreboard that usually reads “Guest > Blue Devils.” Obviously, Duke’s football program is not the money-maker in Durham. But this stadium is just plain sad.

Regarding the Carrier Dome, obviously calling it a football stadium is already too favorable. We all know it’s a basketball arena being forced into double duty. But my biggest reason for hating the Air Conditioning Bubble is the awful angle that television cameras are forced into. You can barely understand what’s going on on the field because the angle is almost parallel with the turf. Watching a game on TV there just feels gross.

BREAKING: NCAA Loses Alston Case (RX; HM)

BREAKING: NCAA Loses Alston Case

If you're the NCAA, you're on a long losing streak...
Supreme Court unanimously rules against NCAA in athlete compensation case
The nation's highest court unanimously ruled against the NCAA in the case of the NCAA vs. Alston, stating that its strict rules limiting certain kinds of athlete compensation violate anti-trust laws.
...the NCAA was acting unlawfully when it limited member schools from competing for the talent of athletes by offering benefits. Limiting schools from actually, truly competing hurt college athletes.
The ruling is fairly narrow and does not end amateurism in college sports. The NCAA is still allowed to forbid benefits that are not related to an athlete's education. However, it does allow for college athletes to receive education-based benefits like free laptops and paid post-grad internships.

NFL career vs CFB hype, by school (RX; HM)

NFL career vs CFB hype, by school

Some NFL draft picks work out better than others. Is there a correlation to which college they played for?
Very cool post on what colleges have NFL Draft picks that tend to over or underperform compared to where they were selected. Wisconsin and Mississippi State lead the way. [OC] Ranking college team's success in the NFL draft based on players' relative success (from Wisconsin at the top to Baylor at the bottom and every school in-between) : CFB pic.twitter.com/UTnKLPl59b
— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) June 21, 2021
NFL Draft Bargains:
Players from BC, Pitt, and NC State tend to perform better than expected based on draft position.
Worth the Pick:
Florida State, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, and Clemson players were all right around "zero", meaning they neither overperformed nor underperformed.
Overrated, on average:
UNC, Louisville, and Miami players have disappointed the NFL teams who drafted them.

How does the ACC compare to the other two eastern power conferences? If we only look at teams (not players), we get this table:
ACC vs. Big Ten, SEC:

Conf.OverEvenUnder
ACC343
B1G221
SEC273

Virginia Tech football: Hokies add commitment from Georgia athlete (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

The Virginia Tech Hokies added two commitments to the class of 2022 on Monday. The first of which occurred around midnight when Georgia athlete Malcolm Jones officially pledged to the Hokies.

Fresh off an official visit to Virginia Tech, Jones committed to the Hokies not long after his trip to Blacksburg. The coaching staff officially offered Jones in March.

Jones is 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, and is listed as an athlete. It is expected he will play safety at the next level. He plays high school football at Lee County High School in Leesburg, Georgia.

The first thing you will notice about Jones is he is unranked. Yes, I get the angst some in Hokie Nation will have when seeing this. I understand. The Hokies must be more competitive with higher-priority players if they are going to upgrade the overall talent pool in Blacksburg.

Jones plays safety and wide receiver in high school.

Other

‘Big’ concert announcement coming to Syracuse University: Who? (PS; $; Herbert)

A “big” concert is coming to Syracuse University, but who will it be?

“Big concert announcement coming this week for @SyracuseU. Want to be the first to hear? Visit http://bit.ly/3wM3OsR to sign up,” SU social media accounts wrote on Twitter and Facebook Monday.

No other details were included. The link takes music fans to Ticketmaster’s website for Carrier Dome events, including Syracuse basketball and football games, so it’s safe to say it’ll be a concert in the Carrier Dome. (To get updates on SU events, click on “Orange Club” and sign in or register with a Dome Box Office/Ticketmaster account.)

Past concerts that were teased with vague press releases about a “major” event include Billy Joel in 2014 and Paul McCartney in 2017. Other big names that have played the Carrier Dome in the past include the Rolling Stones, Prince, Luke Bryan, Neil Diamond, New Kids On The Block, Garth Brooks and Bon Jovi.

The “big” concert would be the first in the Carrier Dome since the stadium underwent major renovations, including changes to the roof, a massive center-hung video scoreboard, an enhanced sound system, and the addition of air conditioning. Fans were first able to experience the improvements in March when attendance was opened up for Syracuse lacrosse games after a year shut down by the coronavirus pandemic.