Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Great-American-Pot-Pie-Day.jpg

Welcome to National Great American Pot Pie Day!

National Great American Pot Pie Day celebrates a distinctly American pie, the pot pie. The day was created in 2002 by Marie Callender's, a company that makes frozen pot pies, among other things. The original intention was for the day to be celebrated on the first day of fall, but September 23 continued to be the day of its celebration after it was first celebrated on that day. Although pot pies are similar to meat pies, they are an American creation, and were first referred to in print in the United States in 1785. They usually consist of a meat such as chicken, pork, or beef, and most times include vegetables such as carrots, peas, green beans, and potatoes. Another common ingredient is gravy. A top flaky crust is the norm, and there is usually a bottom crust as well, but not always. Besides being either made at home or bought at a restaurant, they can be bought frozen at a store. The first frozen pot pies were chicken, and were introduced by Swanson foods in the early 1950's.

SU News

OM7AVGS4GFCBTCTUU7JLR7AN5Y.JPG

Syracuse Orange defensive lineman Cody Roscoe (18) celebrates vs. Rutgers at the Carrier Dome, Syracuse, N.Y., Saturday Sept. 11, 2021. Scott Schild

What fuels Roscoe since transferring up from FCS level? Proving ‘I deserve to be here’ (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse defensive end Cody Roscoe put his name in the record books last week.

His three sacks against Albany tied him for eighth on the list of best single-game sack performances in Orange history, alongside names such as Tim Green, Duke Pettijohn, Jamie Kimmel and Alton Robinson.

But it was a moment one game earlier — and one that seemed much more ordinary — that he considers his dream-come-true moment, one that he’d spent his athletic career working toward.

For Roscoe, a transfer from McNeese State, simply taking the field for a Power-Five football game in front of an involved Carrier Dome crowd against Rutgers provided a moment of validation that he’d been seeking since he began playing football.

He said it was a moment that nearly moved him to tears.

“I haven’t expressed this to anybody, but (this season is) really a dream come true,” Roscoe said. “The first game we played at the Dome (with fans), I literally almost cried. A lot of people, their dreams are to play in the NFL. My dream, I always wanted to play Power-Five football in front of a large group of fans. You can ask my parents. That was always my dream.”

It was a dream that was delayed despite a high school career in which Roscoe did virtually everything right.

He finished with a whopping 23 sacks his senior year while competing for Houston’s Heights High School. He competed in front of college scouts regularly. He earned Associated Press first-team all-state honors in football-crazed Texas.

SU football recruit shows ‘dog mentality’ in 6-TD game, draws interest from Notre Dame (PS; Curtis)

LeQuint Allen says the best way to approach game days is to have the mindset that no one is going to stop him, no matter what.

He calls it the “dog mentality,” a phrase he’s used several times over the past couple of weeks talking to reporters about one of his most impressive high school football performances to date.

Allen, a senior running back at Millville High School (N.J.), totaled a career-high 304 rushing yards on 35 carries, six total touchdowns (five rushing, one receiving) and a highlight-worthy interception in a 49-39 win over Shawnee High School (N.J.) on Sept. 10.

It was a masterful showing of his versatility on both offense and defense, and despite carrying the load on the ground, Allen said the interception in the first quarter shifted momentum for the rest of the game.

“That set the tone,” said Allen, who committed to Syracuse in March. “I baited the quarterback and he tested me, and I just went up and got it.”

Shawnee throws it up...

LeQuint Allen takes it down.

Millville INT@TBoltAthletics @OBGFootball pic.twitter.com/2bnYVDXR5e
— Mark Trible (@Mtrible) September 10, 2021

Allen didn’t have much time to relish in what he just accomplished because he had to be in Syracuse the next day for the Orange’s home opener against Rutgers, his first time in the Carrier Dome atmosphere with more than 30,000 fans.

He was one of several SU recruits to receive sideline access before kickoff, giving him a first-hand experience of a Power Five football game.

SU lost a defensive battle to the Scarlet Knights, 17-7, which also made Allen lose a bet to his high school coach and former Rutgers running back, Dennis Thomas.

“It didn’t end the way he wanted. He actually owes me a dinner because of it,” Thomas said. “But Quint’s my boy. I treat him just like my son. He’s a great kid.”

2020-10-17-dn-sufoot9-1024x732.jpg

Liberty quarterback Malik Willis (7) runs against the Syracuse during the Flames' October 2020 visit to the Dome.

Malik Willis, Liberty offense make for SU's toughest challenge yet (thenewshouse.com; Zulkofske)

Encouraged by Syracuse football’s Week 3 performance, Head Coach Dino Babers fielded questions at his weekly press conference on Monday. Reporters peppered him about the team’s quarterback situation and their upcoming game this Friday against the Liberty Flames.

Babers appeared confident in his responses.

But when asked about Liberty Quarterback Malik Willis, Babers shook his head and exhaled briefly.

“I’m not going to call him a running back because he’s not,” Babers said. “But God, he does not run like a running quarterback. He’s better than that.”

Yes, he is.

Willis is college football’s latest electrifying dual-threat quarterback. He transferred from Auburn to Hugh Freeze’s Liberty Flames football program in 2019 where he’s gone 12-1 as a starter.

In 2020, Willis amassed 944 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns on 141 carries. Syracuse’s running back Sean Tucker totaled 626 yards and four touchdowns over 137 carries during the same year.

“That’s the amazing thing is his style of play. You’d think that he would get banged up a little bit or slow up,” Babers said. “You don’t see any of that stuff. He’s a Mack Truck, he just doesn’t go down.”

Willis has an arm, too. That same season, he completed 64.2 percent of his passes for 2,260 yards and 20 touchdowns. CBS Sports listed Willis as a top 15 pick in their latest 2022 NFL Mock Draft.

“He’s a really talented player, obviously. He has a super strong arm,” Syracuse Cornerback Garrett Williams said. “He’s most dangerous when he’s running around, being an athlete.”

Beat writers unanimously agree that SU will lose to Liberty (DO; Staff)

After Syracuse’s 38-21 loss to Liberty last season, the Flames did a lot of “extra stuff after the game,” defensive lineman Kingsley Jonathan said. Liberty players stayed on the Carrier Dome field taking photos after handing head coach Dino Babers his worst loss since taking over the program. And they sang “New York, New York” in the locker room before heading back to Lynchburg, Virginia, coaches and players said in press conferences.

Jonathan, among other players, said last year’s loss was “personal.” And following a 62-24 win over UAlbany last weekend, the Orange are heading into this year’s matchup against the Flames with an over .500 record.

Here’s what our beat writers predict will happen when the Orange face the Flames in the Carrier Dome on Friday night:

Roshan Fernandez (3-0)
Taller task
Liberty 24, Syracuse 14

Liberty earned 56 votes in the latest AP Top 25 poll, and it ranked No. 17 in the nation when last season ended. The Flames have a future first round NFL draft pick in quarterback Malik Willis, too. When asked how Syracuse could replicate playing against him at practice this week, Babers just shook his head. Syracuse’s defense has played well, but it can only do so much against a player of Willis’ caliber. SU’s offense is a whole different issue. Against its only Power Five opponent thus far this year, Syracuse put forth an ugly offensive performance that led to seven points. The Orange won convincingly against Ohio and UAlbany, but Liberty will prove to be a far taller task. Syracuse lost 38-21 against Liberty last year, and though this year’s SU team might be an improved one, the end result will be the same.

Connor Smith (2-1)
Hit from the blind side
Liberty 35, Syracuse 17

Coming off a blowout win against UAlbany, the Orange and their offense will be feeling good heading into Friday night’s game. Liberty is an independent team that broke into the AP Top 25 in 2020 in just its third season in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Last year, Syracuse took the Flames for granted and lost by 17 at home. Willis will likely finish this season as one of the top quarterbacks in the country and is a strong runner and thrower.

SU, meanwhile, still has an ongoing quarterback battle between Tommy DeVito and Garrett Shrader, and running back Sean Tucker has carried the offense so far this season. Going against a quarterback who recorded six touchdowns last week will prove too tough for the Orange, who lack a go-to signal caller. Liberty’s head coach, Hugh Freeze, is a former Ole Miss head coach who also coached Michael Oher and is featured in the book and film “The Blind Side.” In the Carrier Dome on Friday, Syracuse will be hit from the blind side and fall to 2-2.

Anish Vasudevan (3-0)
Flames bring the heat
Liberty 30, Syracuse 16

While Syracuse won one game last season, Liberty did exactly the opposite, finishing the season 10-1. The Flames even defeated Coastal Carolina in the FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl at Camping World Stadium, the same venue for the Orange’s last bowl appearance in 2018. Syracuse is currently at its best start since that season, heading into this weekend with a 2-1 record. The Orange’s defense has worked with scout teams all week preparing to face Willis, but he’s on a hotter streak than DeVito or Shrader. This will most likely be a competition between offenses, and SU’s defense is the best unit it currently has. On the other hand, Syracuse’s offense has been flustered with the shuffling of quarterbacks, and this game will serve as another evaluation period for Babers. This will probably disrupt SU’s rhythm, while Willis and the Flames go to work on the Carrier Dome turf.

Babers: We won’t be at full strength against Liberty (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football coach Dino Babers said his team will not be at full strength for Friday night’s game against Liberty.

Babers didn’t name the players who won’t be available to play this week because of injury. The coach also said some of the players who missed last week’s 62-24 victory against Albany could return to the lineup.

“We’re banged up,” Babers said Wednesday night on his radio show on TK99.

“I wouldn’t be telling you the truth to tell you we’re going to be at full strength. We’re not going to be at full strength. We’re going to be missing some cats that you guys are going to be like, ‘oh wow.’ And then we may have some guys back that you guys may say, ‘oh wow.’ There’s going to be some surprises on both sides.”

The Orange played last week without leading receiver Taj Harris and defensive backs Garrett Williams and Ja’Had Carter, two starters in the secondary.

Dino Babers: Liberty and QB competition (SI; Milliner)

Dealing with the offensive threat of Malik Willis is a primary focus for the Orange this week. His play making ability is unmatched, as this may be the biggest test the Orange have faced this season. The dual threat quarterback won’t just kill you in the air but has intentions of trucking through an entire defense as well. Syracuse Head Coach Dino Babers credits not only the quarterbacks arm but his determination when running the ball.

“He’s a quarterback that can throw the football, he throws a good deep ball, he throws a good short ball,” Babers said. “But he runs so strong, I’m not going to call him a running back because he’s not but God he does not run like a running quarterback, he’s better than that.”

The high praise from Babers is a result of his experience playing Liberty the past two seasons. In 2019, the Orange defeated Liberty 24-0 and in 2020 the Orange lost to Liberty 21-38. The record is split 1-1 with both teams having intentions of inching away with the lead in the series. The stability of the Liberty offense is the perfect contrast to the uncertainty of the Orange offense.

“They will know first, the team will know second, the media will know third” is the approach Dino Babers is taking toward his own quarterback competition. The ongoing evaluation of DeVito and Shrader has been going on since camp, as the team still can’t decide who “won” the battle. Babers wants one of the two to win it on the field, in other words letting the performance speak volumes in which the crowd can decide. Who will take the first snap… that information cannot be released because it will give away a “tactical advantage” Babers said.

With all of the noise surrounding this game, the team is taking the loss last year personally going into the Friday night game. The thick air of the Dome will weigh heavily on the Orange as the fans look for their weekends to be made with a win. Coming off a blowout win against a weaker opponent in UAlbany, the Orange look to prove a point against good competition in Liberty before going into ACC play.

Syracuse vs Liberty Prediction, Game Preview (CFN; Fiutak)

Syracuse vs Liberty How To Watch

Date: Friday, September 24
Game Time: 8:00 ET
Venue: Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY
How To Watch: ACC Network
Records: Syracuse (2-1), Liberty (3-0)

Syracuse vs Liberty Game Preview

Why Liberty Will Win

We just did this last year with a 38-21 Flame win over the Orange, and this year’s team is better and more experienced.

It might not be quite as explosive and fun as it probably should be with all the great skill parts it has, but Liberty is a 3-0 with a solid road win over Troy on the resumé.

QB Malik Willis has been solid, the defense is fantastic against the mediocre competition, and the pass rush should be able to live in the Syracuse backfield. The Orange O line has been better, but it wasn’t a heavy lift to go from abysmal in pass protection to just okay.

Why Syracuse Will Win

Here comes the Syracuse pass rush.

Granted, playing Ohio and Albany is no big deal, but the Orange generated four sacks and a whole lot of pressure in a 17-7 loss to Rutgers.

Willis is mobile enough and quick enough with his reads to avoid getting hit too many times, but the Liberty line allows a ton of plays in the backfield and close to three sacks per game. Again, that’s partly because Willis is moving, but the Orange still have to get to him.

Also, again, the Syracuse offensive line hasn’t been great, but the running game has been decent so far against the mediocre teams. The O has to establish the ground game right away, and …

What’s Going To Happen

The Liberty run defense is just that good.

The Flames don’t turn the ball over – no, really, there hasn’t been a giveaway so far – and everything should be fully tuned up with a few layups to go along with that Troy game. It’ll be Willis and the running game that take over early, the defense will take care of the rest.

But it won’t be a layup.

This really is an improved Syracuse team that should be stronger and better than it was in last year’s loss, but Liberty is still too explosive and too strong.

Syracuse vs Liberty Prediction, Line

Liberty 27, Syracuse 20
Line: Liberty -6, o/u: 52.5
ATS Confidence out of 5: 2

Must See Rating: 3

5: Muhammad Ali film by Ken Burns
1: Dear Evan Hansen

Syracuse Football: Why Liberty might be Orange’s toughest opponent left (itlh; Fiello)

Before the season started, the only preseason ranked Syracuse football opponent was Clemson with Boston College and Liberty both receiving many votes. And while I don’t put much weight in a system that ranks teams who’ve never played a game yet this season, many still use it as a guide of who they think will be successful.

I’m more of a wait until they play a few games first at least and then see guy myself, and as we stand now in late September, Liberty is the team I’m actually the most worried about left on the football schedule.

While normally FSU and Pittsburgh are deemed threats, and I honestly take no opponent lightly when the game starts, in terms of the toughest opponents, their struggles likely rule them out (though anything can happen in sports).

Louisville also took a loss to Ole Miss and played a close one against UCF, which are no slouches so I won’t by any means consider that (or any game for the matter) any easy win, but I’m not sure they’re the toughest team on the schedule either.

Syracuse football faces a daunting task at home versus Liberty.

So what about Clemson? When I posted a poll on Twitter asking if Liberty was the Orange’s toughest opponent left to face, 80% of people who voted chose no and one person responded that Clemson was still elite.

And while I’m not sure elite is a good word to use right now after struggling most of the game against Georgia Tech, Clemson has stumbled slightly in the past only to turn around and win the championship anyway, so only a fool would rule them completely out. I’m curious to see how they rebound and I also like Syracuse’s odds at home this year too (of course I always do when SU plays anyway).

Boston College looks strong so far too. They are 3-0 so far and one might look at their schedule and wonder if that’s the reason but to be fair, many teams have lost against lesser opponents.

Also 51-0, 45-28 and 28-3 are fairly impressive scores to win with even against “lesser” opponents and anyone who has been a Syracuse football fan for more than five minutes knows you never rule out a Boston College team against the Orange, even with their quarterback Phil Jurkovec possibly out for the season. I do wonder though with him possibly out for the season, how will Boston College do when the competition gets stronger.

And after saying all of that, as I said before, I think the toughest opponent left on the Syracuse football schedule might just be Liberty University. While it’s easy to rule them out because they’re not a “Power Five” conference team, this is a program led by a former SEC coach and a possible Heisman candidate at quarterback. Liberty, like Boston College, is 3-0 and while they maybe haven’t played a “tough schedule” yet, they have been impressive in their victories except for a close win at Troy.

Orange Zone: What you need to know ahead of the Syracuse / Liberty game cnycentral.com; video; Singh)

Former Syracuse running back Damien Rhodes (2002-05) sits down with CNY Central sports reporter, Jonathan Singh on "Back Rhodes." This segment on Orange Zone breaks down the SU football run game, which includes running back Sean Tucker and the interesting quarterback situation between Tommy Devito and Garrett Shrader. We also tell you what you can expect in week four, as the Orange host Liberty for the second time in as many years. The game is Friday at 8 p.m. inside the Carrier Dome.

Liberty vs. Syracuse Football Prediction and Preview (athlonsports.com; McVey)

The Syracuse Orange out of the ACC will host the Liberty Flames, an FBS independent, on Friday night inside the Carrier Dome, marking the third meeting all-time between the two schools. These teams should be fairly familiar with one another after facing off in each of the last two seasons. Syracuse came away with 24-0 win against Liberty in Lynchburg in 2019, while the Flames scored a 38-21 victory over the Orange last season in Syracuse.

Liberty enters Friday night's matchup with a perfect 3-0 record following last week's 45-17 win against Old Dominion. Star quarterback Malik Willis accounted for six touchdowns, and the Liberty defense held the Monarchs to just 201 yards of offense in the blowout win. The Flames have won 14 of their last 15 games under head coach Hugh Freeze dating back to 2019, with their only loss coming by one point to NC State last season. Liberty will now make its way north in hopes of keeping its unblemished record intact by beating Syracuse for the second year in a row.

Syracuse has already doubled its win total from last season, courtesy of last Saturday's dominant 62-24 win against UAlbany from the FCS ranks. Orange running back Sean Tucker put on quite a show in the process, racking up 253 all-purpose yards and five touchdowns to become the first player in Syracuse history to pick up more than 100 yards rushing and receiving in the same game. Now 2-1 on the season, Syracuse will look to exact a little revenge against the Flames on Friday night. Does head coach Dino Babers' squad have what it takes to pull off the upset at home?

Liberty at Syracuse

Kickoff: Friday, Sept. 24 at 8 p.m. ET
TV: ACC Network
Spread: Liberty -6

When Liberty Has the Ball

Willis is the driving force behind a potent Liberty offense that averages 38 points and 435.3 yards per game. The former Auburn transfer has completed 71 percent of his passes for 613 yards with seven touchdowns and no interceptions, with an exceptional 179.1 passer rating. Willis also stars in the run game, leading the Flames with 225 yards and four touchdowns on the ground, averaging a healthy 6.6 yards per carry in the process.

In terms of pass-catchers, it has truly been a collective effort for the Flames, with 17 different players pulling in a reception through three games. Wide receiver Demario Douglas has been Willis' favorite target to date, hauling in 16 catches for 185 yards and a pair of scores. Wide receivers DJ Stubbs (6 rec., 102 yds.), CJ Daniels (7, 91, 2 TDs) and Kevin Shaa (4, 62, 2) also feature prominently in the passing game.

While the dual-threat Willis spearheads the ground attack, running backs Joshua Mack (40 att., 127 yds., TD) and Utah transfer T.J. Green (23, 132) also play a pivotal role in the backfield. The Flames also have sophomore running back Shedro Louis (17, 81, 1), who torched the Orange defense last season to the tune of 170 yards and two scores on the ground.

The Flames will be paired against a Syracuse defense that has, so far, shown real improvement over last season. The Orange are allowing 16.7 points and just 225.3 yards per game (No. 4 in FBS). They have been outstanding against the pass and the run, giving up 161.7 passing yards per game and 63.7 on the ground, both of which rank in the top 25 nationally. Linebacker and leading tackler Mikel Jones (28 tackles) leads the way for the Syracuse defense. Meanwhile, a much-improved pass rush, spearheaded by defensive lineman Cody Roscoe (3.5 sacks), could present a challenge for a veteran Liberty offensive line, led by tackle Tristan Schultz.

The Orange defense has shown marked improvement. However, they have yet to really be tested. That will change on Friday night when Willis and a stout Liberty offense come to town.

‎Bleav in Syracuse Football: Episode 6 - A Matchup with NFL Draft Prospect Malik Willis and Liberty on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Bleav)

Host Mike McAllister and Producer Kyle Leff get ready for the Friday Night Lights matchup with Malik Willis and the Liberty Flames in the Dome

Get to know Liberty: Breaking down Syracuse football's next opponent with the News & Advance (Q&A) (247sports.com; $; Bailey)

Syracuse football slipped up in its toughest test of the 2021 season -- a 17-7 loss to Rutgers in the Carrier Dome two weekends ago. Now the Orange is an opponent's strongest opponent thus far. That's the perspective of 3-0 Liberty despite being tabbed by oddsmakers as a near-touchdown favorite on the road.

To get a better understanding of the Flames, we caught up with Damien Sordelett of the News & Advance. Here's what the LU beat writer had to say about the matchup, which is set to kick off on Friday at 8 p.m.:

1. The feeling here is that Liberty comes to Syracuse riding high. How much stock do you put in the 3-0 start? How much of those successes carry over against better competition and what weaknesses weren't exploited that could be now?

Liberty’s first three games were against teams it should have beaten (Campbell, Troy and Old Dominion), and the Flames didn’t play their complete best in any of those triumphs. The defense has been stellar through three weeks, the offense finally began to turn the corner with consistent play against ODU, and the special teams has been the weakest link. Honestly, this is the week many who follow this program felt would be the litmus test to see how good this team really is. The opening drive and the second half against ODU could be the type of success that can carry over against better competition. Liberty went with its warp-speed tempo to open the game against the Monarchs and scored a relatively easy touchdown (it would have been scored sooner if not for Malik Willis overthrowing a wide-open DeMario Douglas), and then the offense found consistency in the second half that should be a building block for playing the tougher teams on the schedule, like Syracuse, UAB, Ole Miss, Louisiana and Army. Liberty hasn’t been hurt by its special teams play through the first three weeks, but the unit has caused some concern. A blocked field goal off several missed assignments on the left side allowed Troy to close the deficit to eight points in the fourth quarter of what should have been a more convincing final score. ODU took advantage of a muffed punt and a roughing the punter call in the first half to score 10 points and trail by 11 (should have been 28-7 instead of 28-17).

2. Malik Willis. That's the question. Is there an answer for him?

Liberty QB Malik Willis not focused on NFL Draft Projections (aseaofred.com; Manson)

The hype surrounding Liberty quarterback Malik Willis continues to build. Throughout the offseason and this summer leading into the season, buzz began to build around Willis following his first year as Liberty’s starting quarterback in 2020.

Willis began to be projected as a potential first round NFL Draft pick in next year’s draft, with some experts even projected him to be picked No. 1 overall. Prior to the season, ESPN’s Mel Kiper rated Willis as the No. 15 overall prospect for the 2022 NFL Draft and said he would be in the mix for the No. 1 quarterback in the class. Just this week, Kiper updated his thoughts on Willis following his first three games of the season.

“OK, so Liberty hasn’t played the toughest schedule so far – vs. Campbell, at Troy, vs Old Dominion – but Willis leads the country in total QBR and looks improved from his excellent 2020 season,” Kiper wrote. “He’s completing 71% of his passes with seven touchdowns and no picks while rushing for 225 yards and four more scores. Willis is averaging 9.7 air yards per attempt, so he’s not dinking and dunking down the field. He’s making NFL throws.”

CBS Sports projected Willis to be selected with the No. 10 overall pick by the Washington Football Team in their updated mock draft earlier this week.

“I try not to look at that,” Willis said earlier this week when asked about NFL scouts watching him Friday night when the Flames take on Syracuse. “I could go out there and play terrible. I could go out there and play good. It doesn’t really matter as long as I go out there and use my influence in a positive way, go out there and give the glory to God.”

“I definitely try not to think of that,” Willis continued about his NFL potential future. “You just don’t know where you will end up. You don’t know. We could not make it home tonight. We cannot think that far, it does nothing good for you. When you focus on the past, you end up depressed. When you focus on the future, you end up anxious. You just don’t need to focus on either. You need to stay in the moment.”

So far this season, Willis has completed 49 of his 69 pass attempts for 613 yards and 7 touchdowns. He also leads the Flames with 225 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns on 34 carries and has no turnovers this season.

“I feel like I’ve matured a lot since I got here,” the Auburn transfer said this week of his mindset. “I’ve just been trying to look at stuff and be more grateful for the opportunities we get. Definitely just thanking God for every day we wake up and giving us the opportunity to go out and play this game. It’s a child’s game we get to to go out there and play to pay for our education and some people get to play for money. It’s a really good opportunity, and He blessed us with the ability, so I feel like I should bring knowledge to other people and bring them closer to Him. I try not to talk down to people because, at the end of the day, we are no better than each other. I am no better than you, you are no better than me. We are all out here just living.”

Orange defense 'looks strong' says former Syracuse LB Jake Flaherty - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse is playing in a bellwether game on Friday evening against Liberty, and to get a snapshot of the state of the team, we checked in with former Syracuse linebacker Jake Flaherty in this week’s The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

Flaherty played in all 47 games during his career and was captain of the defense as a senior in 2008. Speaking from that standpoint, he likes what he sees from a stingy defense that’s allowed just 16.7 points per game through three games.

“The defense looks strong,” Flaherty said. “Tony White is putting them in a position to succeed.”

Flaherty was particularly impressed with true freshman cornerback Duce Chestnut, who has exploded on the scene as a starter, and quickly established himself as one of the team’s most reliable defenders. He was given the game ball after his debut against Ohio where he finished with eight tackles, a team high five solo tackles, an interception and a pass breakup.

Flaherty, of course, also likes what he sees from the group of linebackers led by Mikel Jones, and the defensive front which accounted for 14 TFLs in a 62-24 win over FCS Albany.

That win, Flaherty says, was also critical for the offense in establishing its identity.

“I love that we’re establishing a run game with Sean Tucker,” Flaherty said, complimenting Tucker’s five TD performance against the Great Danes.

While Syracuse struggled last season, going 1-10, and looked lost in a 17-7 loss to Rutgers, Flaherty and the rest of the alumni base have remained supportive of head coach Dino Babers.

“All alumni want nothing more than to be in a bowl game in Florida come January,” Flaherty said. “We know Coach Babers can get it done, and we’ve seen him get it done before.”

These days, Flaherty works in business development at Terzo, a new software platform that allows suppliers and customers to collaborate on tasks like managing contracts, tracking goals or evaluating opportunities.

Revenge Game: Orange look to cool Flames after last season’s Dome loss (localsyr.com; Columbia)

I had a wedding out of town last week and couldn’t watch the game in real time… what did I miss?

Only the best performance by the Orange this season? Oh, okay.

Where to Watch: Syracuse vs. Liberty game
Listen, I know this dominant performance came against an FCS level school in Albany, but after the way this season as begun for some, losing to those same caliber schools, take a blowout when you can get it.

With that said, it’s time to turn the page (said in a Bob Seger voice) and focus on Liberty. The same team that came to the Dome a season ago and put it on Dino Babers and company.

Love our home field advantage.

Primetime battle Friday night to close our three game homestand. Come help us Defend the Dome.

- https://t.co/9no6OD3uIv pic.twitter.com/y7EKFTP5rY
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) September 19, 2021
Give me Liberty, or give me death

And last year, Syracuse got both Liberty and death. The Flames ran all over the Orange. Literally. SU’s defense gave up 338 yards on the ground en route to a 38-21 win in a fan-less ‘Loud House’ and that didn’t sit well with Syracuse.

“We plan on sending a message on how we didn’t like how it went down last year,” said sophomore linebacker Mikel Jones.

“For our defense, (stopping the run) is one of our biggest goals and we didn’t do that well that game,” Jones added.

The lopsided result isn’t just a Syracuse sticking point either. Liberty Head Coach Hugh Freeze knows it’d be foolish to think they’re going to easily walk over SU like they did a season ago.

“I’m sure they aren’t happy we were able to beat them at their place last year. So, I’m sure we’ll get their best attention,” Freeze said.

Syracuse running back Sean Tucker is off to a very impressive start for the Orange this season. He is turning into one of the ACC's most effective running backs. Tucker leads the ACC with 515 total yards from scrimmage and has 7 total touchdowns through the first three games of the season. Check out this look at Syracuse's stud running back right here!

Liberty at Syracuse - Friday 9/24/21- NCAA Football Betting Picks & Predictions | Picks & Parlays College Football Week 4 and We have got Your Betting Needs in this Week 4 Match up Between the Liberty Flames and Syracuse Orange on Friday September 24th, 2021 with Picks and Parlays Expert Handicappers Ali Burns and Ross Benjamin.

Other

PHZGCOZPUNAENABMEVXNBILHSY.jpg

‘Where are we gonna go now?’ Saying goodbye to The Blue Tusk after 26 years (PS; Cazentre)

At The Blue Tusk this week, a lot of grown men were crying in their beers.

“I’m going to miss the beer and the place of course,” said regular Paul Chwalek while standing with a group of friends at the Armory Square bar during a lunch hour. “But mostly it’s the people here. I didn’t know a lot of them when I first came here, and now, with some of them, we’ve been friends for 20 years.”

His buddy, Jim Morrow, chimed in.

“Where are we gonna go now?” he said. “There’s other bars. But none of them are The Blue Tusk. Where are we gonna day drink, or night drink?”

The Blue Tusk is in its final days. It closes for good on Saturday, Sept. 25, after 26 years as one of the pillars of Armory Square and a pioneer in the local craft beer scene.

That leaves just three more days to soak up the beer-infused, tie-dyed vibe of The Blue Tusk.

The closing, which became public in July, is the result of a dispute over a new lease. The Tusk will be replaced in a few months by the Taphouse on Walton, which will offer its own take on the concept of good beer paired with sandwiches, cheese boards etc.

That news has drawn lots of regulars back to the Tusk this week, to say their goodbyes.

“It’s bad for the city,” said George Hanford. “It’s bad for Armory Square. It’s just bad.”

At a table in the corner Wednesday, Tim and Mike Yorton, the father-son team that has run the Tusk since 1995, reminisced with Marc and Isaac Rubenstein, the father-son team whose Middle Ages Brewing Co. opened in Syracuse that same year.

At one point, Mike Yorton fetched a bottle from the cellar to give to Marc Rubenstein: It was a limited release Middle Ages beer called Double Wench that Yorton found while cleaning up. It may have been sitting in the cellar for 20 years.

Marc Rubenstein credits The Blue Tusk with helping put his brewery on the map, before most people in Syracuse had any experience with what would be known as “craft beer’ later in the decade.

“If the Tusk wasn’t here, I don’t know if we would be here,” Rubenstein said Wednesday.

Last edited: