Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
xchinesenewyear_gongxifacai.jpg.pagespeed.ic.r2vchEuFta.jpg

Welcome to the Chinese New Year!

Chinese New Year, also called chunjie (春节) in China, and known as the Spring Festival, is the foremost holiday in China, and is celebrated by Chinese people all over the world. It is also known as the Lunar New Year, as it follows the lunar calendar. Asian countries like Vietnam, North Korea, and South Korea celebrate it as such. Although the weather is still quite cold when the festival is celebrated, it welcomes Spring, a season of planting, fresh starts, and new beginnings.

Chinese New Year begins on January 1 of the lunar calendar and lasts until the 15th, which is a full moon. Being that the celebration begins on the eve of the holiday, it is a sixteen-day celebration. On the last day, the first full moon of the lunar year, Chinese New Year ends, and the Lantern Festival is held. Ultimately, the Chinese New Year takes place sometime between January 21 and February 20 on the Gregorian Calendar. Years in China are associated with a zodiac animal. There is a twelve-year cycle of animals which includes, in order, the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig.

SU News

Syracuse football lands verbal commitment from Buffalo-area high school standout Kevin Jobity Jr. (PS; Carlson)

The Syracuse football team landed its fourth high school commitment from a defensive lineman this offseason, this time from Buffalo-area high school standout Kevin Jobity Jr.

Syracuse is the only Power-Five offer listed by 247Sports for Jobity, who played for Maryvale High School in Cheektowaga. The Class of 2022 prospect has been building a number of smaller offers in advance of football’s second National Signing Day this week, including one from Army.

Jobity, who is listed at 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds, is not yet rated by 247Sports. He announced his decision on social media.

100% Committed. pic.twitter.com/g2k44vsIwz
— Kevin Jobity Jr. ✝️ (@JobityKevin) January 31, 2022

According to the Buffalo News, Jobity is a physically gifted but raw football prospect, having played high school football for just two seasons, limiting the amount of game film he could accrue and camps that he could attend.

Kevin Jobity Commits to Syracuse, Discusses Decision (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2022 Cheektowaga (N.Y.) Maryvale defensive lineman Kevin Jobity has committed to Syracuse. Jobity took an official visit this past weekend, and that was enough to seal the deal. The 6-4, 255 pounder was a late riser to the recruiting scene as he has only been playing football for about a year. He picked the Orange over offers from Army, Rhode Island, Villanova, Princeton, Harvard, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Lehigh, Cornell, Holy Cross, Bryant, Brown, Fordham, New Hampshire, Central Connecticut State, Colgate, Wagner, Saint Francis and Lafayette.

"I got a family vibe here," Jobity said. "I was talking to coach Babers when we were out bowling. I asked him why he went from Hawaii all the way up to Syracuse and he told me he felt it was God's plan. That really confirmed it for me. I knew if the head coach was on that path then that's the plan that I wanted to be on. I had to jump on ship with him. I didn't really get that at other schools. The family atmosphere was such a big part of the school and I want to play ACC football."

During the 2021 season, despite it being his first, Jobity accumulated 68 tackles, 25 tackles for loss, 7 sacks and 3 forced fumbles in 9 games. That put him on the radar for several schools, including in-state Syracuse that viewed him as a power five caliber player. During the official visit, Jobity spent time with the players in order to get a better feel for what it's like to play football at Syracuse.

"The guys were great," Jobity said. "I felt they the same goals. I want to go to the NFL and my host Terry (Lockett) has the same thing in mind. It was good to talk to him about that. It was awesome."

Buffalo DL Kevin Jobity Jr. outlines Syracuse commitment, plan for development as raw prospect (247sports.com; $; Bailey)

Kevin Jobity Jr.
said Syracuse football defensive line coach Chris Achuff enjoys referring to him as "clay." The senior at Maryvale High School in Buffalo is the epitome of a developmental prospect.

With only one calendar year of serious football experience, the 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive lineman is looking for a program to refine him into a professional. And Achuff's approach to that situation was a significant factor in Jobity committing to the Orange over the weekend.

"Coach Achuff has just always seemed so excited to shape me and mold me," Jobity said. "He's referred to me as clay because that’s what he wants to do. And I feel like the Power-Five level is the best place to do that."

Syracuse Football 2022 Schedule Revealed (SI; McAllister)

The ACC released its 2022 schedule on Monday, including Syracuse. The Orange’s schedule is as follows:

Note: all caps denotes home game.

Saturday, September 3rd: LOUISVILLE
Saturday, September 10th: at UConn
Saturday, September 17th: PURDUE
Friday, September 23rd: VIRGINIA
Saturday, October 1st: WAGNER
Saturday, October 8th: BYE WEEK
Saturday, October 15th: NC STATE
Saturday, October 22nd: at Clemson
Saturday, October 29th: NOTRE DAME
Saturday, November 5th: at Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 12th: FLORIDA STATE
Saturday, November 19th: at Wake Forest
Saturday, November 26th: at Boston College

Syracuse is led by running back Sean Tucker, who had one of the best seasons in Orange history during the 2021 campaign. Tucker ran for 1,496 yards, breaking Joe Morris' 42 year old school record in the process. Tucker also set program records for most 100 yard performances in a season and most consecutive 100 yard games. Tucker finished fourth in the nation in rushing yards, fourth in total scrimmage yards and fifth in all-purpose yards. You can watch highlights of his 2021 season in the video above.

Despite the strong season as undoubtedly one of college football’s best running backs, the Doak Walker Award, which honors the best running back in the country each year, did not include Tucker among its three finalists. Still, the strong 2021 campaign has set Tucker up to be on everyone’s radar nationally entering the 2022 season. Tucker has also stated he expects to return to the Orange for 2022, where he will assuredly be the focal point of the offense once again.

SU football schedule is here, with an ACC opponent to open the season (PS; Mink)

Syracuse will open the 2022 football season at home against an ACC opponent, hosting Louisville on Sept. 3.

The game announcement came Monday night as part of the ACC schedule release. While SU’s 12 opponents have been known for a while, the release assigned dates and the order of games for the 2022 season.

Kick times, in most cases, will be announced closer to the season or two weeks before the game.

Syracuse will host a Friday night game Sept. 23 against Virginia, a matchup defined by an obvious storyline: SU’s new offensive assistants Robert Anae and Jason Beck coaching against their former star quarterback, Brennan Armstrong.

SU’s game against Wagner, previously scheduled for that weekend, was pushed back a week to Oct. 1.

There's a lot of W's on that 2022 Virginia Football schedule (augustafreepress.com)

Virginia has a nice, workable 2022 football schedule, with its three toughest games at home, the first not until Oct. 29, and did I mention, they’re all in back-to-back-to-back weeks?

The ACC released schedules Monday night, and we now know, officially, that new coach Tony Elliott will open, as seems to be tradition, with Richmond, on Sept. 3.

Both Mike London and Bronco Mendenhall opened their tenures with Richmond, and Al Groh’s first home game, way back in 2001, was against the Spiders.

It doesn’t get all that difficult for a while: Week 2 is at Illinois, which finished 5-7 in 2021, including a 42-14 loss to UVA.

Week 3 is ODU, which is a member of Conference USA.

Week 4: at Syracuse, which went 5-7 last season, on a Friday night in the Carrier Dome.

There’s the chance to say hi to former offensive coordinator Robert Anae and former QBs coach Jason Beck before the game.

Then it’s on the road at Duke (3-9 in 2021) in Week 5, ahead of the home opener with Louisville (6-7 in 2021) in Week 6.

A bye week precedes a Thursday night road game at Georgia Tech (3-9 in 2021).

Then it’s sexy time – a three-game stretch with Miami (7-5 in 2021), North Carolina (6-7 in 2021) and Pitt (11-3 in 2021).

Virginia won at Miami this past season, but lost at UNC and Pitt.

Coastal Carolina (11-2 in 2021), a member of the Sun Belt, comes to Charlottesville for the home finale on Nov. 19.

The ‘Hoos then finish at Virginia Tech on Nov. 26.

There’s a lot of potential W’s on that schedule right there.

All of the home games are on Saturdays, which is great news for those who like attending games in person, and also like tailgating.

2022 ACC Football Schedule is Here! (RX; HM)

Eastern Michigan?

2022 ACC Football Schedule is Here!

The 2022 ACC Football Schedule is here! Let's break down some highlights:
  • Maximum number of games in a week: 12 (weeks 1, 2, and 3)
  • Minimum number of games in a week: 4 (week 7)
  • Number of ACC conference games: 56
  • Number of non-conference games: 56
  • Number of P5 non-conference games: 21
  • Number of OOC games against 2021 bowl teams: 27
Here's a table of some of the best games of the season:
Week##Games__Best OOC game____Best ACC game__
02Florida AM @ UNCn/a
112W Virginia @ PittClemson @ Ga Tech
FSU/LSU @ New Orleans
212Tennessee @ PittBC @ Virginia Tech
312Miami @ Texas AMFSU @ Louisville
Texas Tech @ NC State
411Notre Dame @ UNCClemson @ Wake Fst.
W Virginia @ Va TechBoston Coll. @ FSU
57E Michigan @ SyracuseNC State @ Clemson
Va Tech @ UNC
67Army @ Wake ForestUNC @ Miami
Va Tech @ Pitt
74n/aClemson @ FSU
Miami @ Va Tech
85n/aPitt @ Louisville
97Notre Dame @ SyracusePitt @ UNC
Miami @ Virginia
108Clemson @ Notre DameFSU @ Miami
Wake @ NC State
117n/aUNC @ Wake Forest
129Coastal Car. @ UVAMiami @ Clemson
BC @ Notre Dame
139S Carolina @ ClemsonPitt @ Miami
Florida @ Florida StUVA @ Va Tech

Here is a link to the official ACC schedule downloads (by team, composite, and team logos).

2022 ACC Spring Games (RX; HM)

2022 ACC Spring Games

ESPN Press Release: "ACC Network to Exclusively Carry All 14 ACC Spring Football Games."
Spring

2022 ACC Spring Football Game Schedule

* All times Eastern. Listings subject to change.

Thursday, March 17

Georgia Tech – 6pm, ACCN

Friday, April 1

Syracuse – 7pm, ACCN

Sunday, April 3

Louisville – 4pm, ACCN

Saturday, April 9

Boston College – 11am, ACCN
Clemson – 1pm, ACCN
North Carolina – 3pm, ACCN
Florida State – 5pm, ACCN
NC State – 7pm, ACCN
Pitt – 9pm, ACCN

Saturday, April 16

Miami – Noon, ACCN
Wake Forest – 2pm, ACCN
Virginia Tech – 4pm, ACCN
Duke – 6pm, ACCN

Other

Popeyes 2012

Popeyes in 2012 as long lines of people waited for food.

After long lines and much fanfare, a popular fast-food location closes in Syracuse (PS; $; Doran)

When Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen opened in 2012 inside Destiny USA, more than 100 people waited in line, stretching all the way across the food court. Customers reported the location was running out of food that day.

Now the fast-food restaurant in the Syracuse mall location has quietly closed. Last week the Popeyes sign was removed from the mall.

Destiny USA officials and Popeyes corporate officials did not return inquiries from syracuse.com | The Post-Standard as to what happened.

Popeyes opened in what was then called Carousel Center, soon to become Destiny USA. It opened Aug. 2, 2012, with some people complaining about how long they had to wait for the southern fried chicken and biscuits.

The chain has continued to open locations in Onondaga County - opening its latest restaurant in Township 5 in Camillus in late November.

A new Popeyes at 7980 Brewerton Road (Route 11) in Cicero, just west of a Dairy Queen, also is planned.

Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen has more than 3,100 restaurants in the United States. That includes one on Brewerton Road in the town of Salina and another on Erie Boulevard East in DeWitt.

Popeyes was founded in 1972.

I liked Popeyes when i went to the mall.. too bad its been about 2 yrs since i was there.

man, when did we add the e.mich game on week 5. Are we going split squad?