Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to D-Day!

Beginning in the spring of 1940, in the midst of World War II, Nazi Germany started occupying the northern part of France. They gained complete control of the area in May, when the British evacuated Dunkirk, a coastal city, during the Battle of France. But the Allies always hoped to return. In 1942, the United States and Britain began thinking about an invasion across the English Channel. Hitler, anticipating an invasion somewhere—although he did not know exactly where—put Erwin Rommel in charge of defense of a large swath of coastal areas and in charge of the creation of an Atlantic Wall, which consisted of fortifications of bunkers, landmines, and other beach and water obstacles.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/tristen-graham-details-syracuse-commitment (si; McAllister)

Syracuse football landed a commitment from the top player in Delaware over the weekend in defensive end Tristen Graham.

"I feel like it was close," Graham said. "It's a drive where my parents would be able to go and see me anytime they want. It's a good school, a power five school. And they were looking at me the most. I really like the program."

During the official visit, there was a specific moment that sealed the deal.

2025 ATH Jessiah McGrew reacts to Syracuse offer (247sports.com; Finneral)

Class of 2025 athlete Jessiah McGrew picked up an offer from Syracuse a few weeks ago. McGrew is an up-and-coming prospect and Syracuse is his first Power Five offer.

“I was really excited to get my first ACC offer from Syracuse,” McGrew said.

McGrew plays at Florida State University High School in Tallahassee, Florida. He has also been offered by Massachusetts and Florida A&M early in his high school career.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/semaj-beals-surprised-by-syracuse-offer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2026 quarterback Semaj Beals is in the early discussion as being the top signal caller in the cycle. He stars for Roman Catholic in Pennsylvania, and earned an offer from Syracuse over the weekend during an unofficial visit that included participating in the Elite Prospects Camp.

"Everything was pretty dope," Beals said. "Me and my family got to Syracuse Saturday night. We wanted to just get in town early. Had a chance to catch up with coach (Dennis) Thomas. He originally was the head coach of my local high school. He's a legend back home. He took me and my family on a tour of the facility and told me that coach (Dino) Babers would like to speak with me in the morning. So I got up (Sunday) morning, had breakfast with my parents, went over to meet with him with my mother and father, and he offered me a scholarship. Then I went out for camp.

"I was surprised, but coach Thomas told me that he liked my film. I didn't expect it to come right then and there but I was very happy. Syracuse has LeQuint Allen. We're from the same neighborhood, Millville New Jersey, so that was a good feeling. I've looked up to him ever since I started playing football. He's always showed us how to play the game the right way."

Syracuse legend Marvin Harrison on College Football Hall of Fame ballot (local SYR.com; Sims)

Syracuse legend Marvin Harrison is on this year’s National Football Foundation College Football Hall of Fame ballot.

Harrison will look to become the 19th person from Syracuse to be inducted when the class is selected in early 2024. Dwight Freeney is a member of the 2023 class, which will be officially enshrined on Dec. 5 in Las Vegas.

This year’s ballot features 78 players and nine coaches from the FBS and 101 players and 32 coaches from the divisional ranks. The ballot was emailed today to the more than 12,000 NFF members and current Hall of Famers whose votes will be tabulated and submitted to the NFF’s Honors Court, which will deliberate and select the class. The Honors Court, chaired by NFF Board Member and College Football Hall of Famer Archie Griffin from Ohio State, includes an elite and geographically diverse pool of athletic administrators, Hall of Famers and members of the media.….

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #91 DL Jalil Smith (tniaam; Chiappone)

It’s time to start preparing for the upcoming Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get ready for a critical season for the Orange.

Up next is...

Name: Jalil Smith

Position: Defensive Line

Year: Freshman

Height: 6’5”

Weight: 240 lbs.….

Get to Know Your Orange Man: #90 DL Terry Lockett (tniaam; De Guzman)

It’s time to start preparing for the upcoming Syracuse Orange football season. We’re going through the roster to take a look at each Syracuse player as we get ready for a critical season for the Orange.

Up next is….

Name: Terry Lockett

Position: Defensive Line

Year: Sophomore

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 270 lbs.

Syracuse Mourns the Passing of Longtime SID Larry Kimball - Syracuse University Athletics (Cuse.com)

"The Dean" of The BIG EAST Conference sports information directors, Lawrence A. Kimball, passed away on June 3. Kimball was Syracuse University's sports information director for 31 years, promoting all Orange student-athletes, coaches and teams. A cornerstone of Syracuse Athletics, Kimball worked with Hall of Fame coaches Ben Schwartzwalder, Dick MacPherson, Jim Boeheim, Roy Simmons Sr., Roy Simmons Jr., John Desko and Ed Carlin. A celebration of life will be held on Friday, June 16 at the Craftsman Inn (Fayetteville) from 4 to 7 p.m. (program at 5 pm).

After graduating from the Miami University in Ohio in 1954, Kimball served in the Army for two years, and then worked for the Norwich (N.Y.) Sun and the Utica (N.Y.) Press. He began his career as an assistant director of public relations and sports information director at the University of Vermont, before coming to SU in 1966, where he promoted all Syracuse student-athletes, coaches and teams until his retirement in 1997.

During his 31-year tenure at Syracuse, Kimball promoted hundreds of All-Americans across all Syracuse sports and told the stories of countless student-athletes who excelled at their craft. He assisted local, national and international media in their coverage of the Orange. Kimball worked 383 consecutive football games, which led the nation at the time of his retirement, and 42-straight Intercollegiate Rowing Association national championship regattas, including 31 as co-director. He also served as the media coordinator for six NCAA Basketball Tournaments in the Dome, promoted the Orange in 11 football bowl games, 21 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournaments, including the 1975 and 1996 Final Fours, and six NCAA men's lacrosse championships. At Syracuse, he worked the press box for the first football game in the Carrier Dome in 1980, which just so happened to be against his alma mater, the RedHawks.

ACC News

Sammy Brown, elite 5-star LB from Georgia, announces ACC commitment - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Olson)

Sammy Brown has picked up 28 scholarship offers during his recruitment. On Monday, Brown decided that he has found where he wants to play college football.

Brown announced his commitment to play for Clemson in a tweet which included the following note:

“For the last two and a half years, I have been blessed with the privilege of building relationships with the finest men in college football. I’ve taken dozens of visits to great campuses across the country, spent many nights in conversation, and watched some incredible football games along the way. To all of you that have shared your lives with me, I am forever grateful and I will always cherish the opportunities you afforded me. Specifically to the head coaches and staffs, I appreciate everything y’all have done for me through this whole process. To choose one school from among the final 5 was a nearly impossible task as they are all top notch programs headed by incredible men. My family and I have spent many months in prayer, seeking God’s will for my life. With that being said, I know God’s plan for my life takes me to Clemson, South Carolina!!”

https://footballscoop.com/news/bost...hires-new-analyst-with-acc-and-sec-experience (Football scoop.com; Samuels)

Jeff Hafley is bringing back a former graduate assistant with the program to fill a need on his support staff, according to a report today.

Jonathan DiBiaso is set to join the staff as an analyst, according to a report from Pete Thamel.

He will also serve as an assistant quarterbacks coach in his new role with BC.

DiBiaso returns to the program he once served as a graduate assistant for three seasons.

Other

SYJM4LU7JFG35IBUJRRSAO5BNU.jpg

Paddlers can now put-in at Syracuse’s Inner Harbor (PS; Featherstone)

Good news for Syracuse-area paddlers: the city recently opened a new kayak/canoe launch near the intersection of Bear Street and Rensselaer Street, in the heart of the Inner Harbor neighborhood.

The launch, which connects to the Onondaga Creekwalk, and ultimately to Onondaga Lake, is an ADA compliant floating aluminum dock with a roller-equipped ramp to slide watercraft to the dock.

The dock will be open May 1 to October 31, and placed in storage during winter months.

The new launch is the northernmost of three kayak/canoe access points planned for Onondaga Creek. An access point opened at Meachem Field in 2022, and another kayak/canoe ramp is being planned for Kirk Park.

There’s ample parking near the launch, about a minute’s walk from the water. Bring your own watercraft or rent a kayak or canoe from Syracuse Parks & Recreation. Rentals at the Inner Harbor will be available this summer through August 19.

Last edited: