Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
NVRD+2023.jpg
Welcome to National Voter Registration Day!

National Voter Registration Day, which was started in 2012, is a holiday celebrating democracy in the United States, in which the goal is to make sure everyone has the opportunity to vote. Awareness is raised so that tens of thousands of people register to vote who may not be reached otherwise. Volunteers work on the ground and with technology and media to make sure this happens. The day is endorsed by the National Association of Secretaries of State and State Election Directors.

SU News

ACC Bowl watch: SU football has a promising path to close out the season (PS; $; Carlson)

The ACC’s top teams maintained their positions last week. So did the league’s bottom bunch.

Syracuse helped the conference split eight games against Power-Five opponents during Week 3, including a 4-2 record against the Big Ten.

The ACC (8-7) remains one of the two Power-Five leagues to have a winning record in games against the others. Only the Pac-12 (7-3) has fared better.

That success leaves the league well-positioned to send a team to the College Football Playoff. The Orange is one of seven unbeaten teams in the league.

Unbeaten Florida State and Miami own high-level non-conference wins. The other five own Power-Five wins. Duke’s win over Clemson gives it a leg up in conference play.

While the most important thing is that the league’s top teams remain unbeaten, the bottom of the league took a beating last week, which leaves a lot of the lower-tier bowl bids unfilled in my projection.

The TV Ratings Guide: Saturday TV Ratings 9/16/23: 48 Hours Returns Down, Pittsburgh/West Virginia College Football Game on ABC Leads (thetvratingsguide.com; Bunch)

Final numbers and analysis to come.

TimeShow18-49 Rating18-49 ShareViewers (mil)Network
8 PMCollege Football: Pittsburgh v. WV0.4452.06ABC
College Football: TCU v. Houston0.2531.15Fox
College Football: Syracuse v. Purdue0.2221.12NBC
NCIS (R)0.1521.62CBS
Great Chocolate Showdown0.0510.35The CW
9 PM48 Hours (P)0.2121.91CBS
Masters of Illusion (R)0.0400.21The CW
9:30 PMMasters of Illusion (R)0.0400.21The CW
10 PM48 Hours0.1721.98CBS

Purdue head coach Ryan Walters on the loss to Syracuse, turnovers problems, penalties, Wisconsin and more (247sports.com; Walker)

Purdue head coach Ryan Walters held his Wisconsin game week press conference on Monday and he talked about the Boilermakers’ loss to Syracuse, their turnovers and penalties against the Orange, Hudson Card, a preview of Wisconsin and more.

Here is some of what Walters said in his press conference before the Wisconsin game.

Walters on if he saw a theme on tape when it comes to Purdue turning the ball over against Syracuse.

“Yeah, definitely ball security issues. You know, we teach covering up the ball a certain way when you're in traffic. And that really led to putting the ball on the ground seven times, you know, we were fortunate to only lose three of them. But you know, you can't, can't win a ball game against a quality opponent, turning the ball over four times, especially in the red area like we did.”

On how Purdue plans to work on the ball security this week in practice and if they will put more of an emphasis on it.

“Yeah, that's the thing, we emphasize it every week. We have a designated day where we actually work ball security drills and turnovers circuits on defense, which is why we've been really clean up until the other night. So definitely, we'll put an emphasis on it. And guys just got to, you know, take ownership over protecting the football and carrying it the right way.”

On what he learned from his self evaluation through the first three games of this season.

“Yeah, you know, it's a combination of a couple of things. You know, one, structurally, offensively defensively and special teams, I think we're doing the right things. I do think in some of the situational ball, are we asking our guys to do something that might not fit their strong suits? You know, for example, you know, this past weekend. Obviously, the quarterback was a good runner, you know, so we had some design things where we had somebody responsible for him, but is it the right guy responsible for him? You know, just things like that, you know, as you consistently learn your roster and learn what they're comfortable with and what their strong suits are. But, you know, I'm not panicking just like I wasn't panicked after week one. That's a good opponent, obviously, they beat us last year. And then the team we lost through the first week, you know, they're a good football team. And we bounce back against Virginia Tech in some adverse situations. So you know, no need to push the panic button right now, but definitely needs to continue to grow and continue to improve, which I think this team will do as they as the year goes on. “

On how he would evaluate Hudson Card through three games.

“You know,obviously he'd like to have the turnovers back, right? Yeah, I thought this was the most comfortable he looked just, you know, we moved the ball up and down the field all night, really, just had the four turnovers. And obviously, those turnovers came in costly areas of the field and costly moments. You know, but I feel like he's been poised under pressure. He doesn't really get rattled. He's got a great arm talent and he's athletic enough to get you out of some situations and make plays. I think he is becoming comfortable with his receiving corps and then they're comfortable with him. You know, so I think that we would all be feeling a lot different right now if we just didn't have the turnovers that we had when we had them. And he'll continue to improve as well. This was his first year in the system and you know, but I'm happy he's our quarterback.”

Cuse.com

Syracuse football improves to 3-0 with 35-20 victory at Purdue (waer.org; Reis)

LISTEN: @CuseFootball took down @BoilerFootball 35-20 thanks to four rushing touchdowns from QB Garrett Shrader. @francescosim16 and @JoePuccio_ had the call for SU's first road win of the season. pic.twitter.com/XIl8yJQPFH
— WAER Sports (@WAERSports) September 17, 2023

In a packed Ross-Ade Stadium, Syracuse football (3-0, 0-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) drew first blood against Purdue (1-2, 0-0 Big Ten Conference) and never surrendered the lead after that in a 35-20 triumph.

Approaching the midway point of the opening quarter, Syracuse recovered a Purdue fumble deep in its own territory. That giveaway marked the first of four for the Boilermakers.

“Can’t get enough of those,” head coach Dino Babers stated postgame when talking about the amount of turnovers SU forced. “That was a good offensive line and a good quarterback with some dynamite receivers and that quarterback had legs as well. For [the defense] to come out of it the way they did, I’m really proud of them.”

After Purdue’s first turnover, Syracuse drove down the field and quarterback Garrett Shrader tallied his first rushing score with a deceptive fake handoff. That was just the start of a successful running game for SU’s gunslinger. The ‘Cuse capitalized on another Purdue fumble to double the advantage as Shrader scrambled on 3rd-and-10 for a 35-yard touchdown run.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 9-18-23 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 9-18-23

Steve and Paulie start the show recapping Syracuse’s 35-20 win over Purdue and discussing what it means for the season as a whole. Then, Paulie makes adjustments to his season record predictions for the Orange on another Overreaction Monday! Then, the guys give out their Monday ACC Power Rankings.

Keeping Up With The 315 9-18-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins opens the show discussing the impressive road win at Purdue for Syracuse. Then, he reacts to the most noteworthy moments from Dino Babers’ press conference after the game. Finally, a caller chimes in with an interesting stat on the dominance of the SU defense.

Adam Terry "The 315" 9-18-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Former Syracuse Football/NFL Lineman Adam Terry Joined Brian to discuss ‘Cuse’s performance against Purdue and then talked about their next match up with Army.

The CW Misses Out By Not Broadcasting Army-Syracuse - As For Football (asforfootball.com; Borja)

Nice rant but it should be noted that the ACC Network gets to choose its first pick before CW...

If you need an indicator that the college football season is in full swing, the cycle of Monday TV broadcast announcements began last week. The TV network designation for the September 23 Empire State reunion between Army and Syracuse may disappoint Black Knights fans. Instead of getting an appearance on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU, the ACC Network selected Army-Syracuse as its noon ET game. The ACC Network will not increase the Black Knights’ exposure, but it is far from the worst network to have a game. However, a spot on The CW — an actual broadcast network — was the most ideal destination for this game.

The CW’s foray into live sports broadcasting is now common knowledge for most. The longtime upstart network turned heads when it acquired the rights to the ACC’s Raycom-produced syndication package. The network broadcasted its first game on September 9 when Pitt hosted Cincinnati. The ratings were not bad as The CW’s primetime broadcast drew 617K viewers, just below NBC’s B1G Saturday Night game. Both games competed with the blueblood matchup of Texas and Alabama on ESPN, so it is reasonable to believe that The CW can draw even more respectable viewership numbers for future games.

With all this in mind, The CW missed a golden opportunity to air Army-Syracuse. After all, it’s not like Army is an awful program undeserving of a slot on The CW. VMI, who went 1-10 in the Southern Conference in 2022, received a spot on The CW, serving as a sacrificial lamb against NC State on September 16. By comparison, the Black Knights just bested an outstanding UTSA team in their own building this past weekend.

Syracuse football: Game three grades vs Purdue (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

The Syracuse Orange marched into West Lafayette and passed their first real test of the season with a 35-20 road victory over the Purdue Boilermakers. Syracuse proved that its performances in its two warmup contests weren’t a fluke. The Orange, much like last season, now have a big early season win that they can use as momentum to springboard into conference play.

But with ACC competition still two weeks away, let’s take a look back at Syracuse’s game against Purdue and go over the grades.

Quarterbacks: A

If it weren’t for a couple of inaccurate throws, Garrett Shrader would’ve earned an A+ grade.

The Syracuse offense started and ended with Shrader. The mobile QB didn’t need to utilize his legs in the first two games of the season. However, against Purdue, Shrader unleashed his greatest weapon: his legs. This is the type of mobility that was missing from his game towards the end of last season when he was dealing with a lower body injury. The majority of his option-reads were spot on and confused the Boilermaker defense. When Shrader had to air out the football, many of his passes were at the very least on target.

Syracuse football: what’s college football saying about the Orange after week four (TNIAAM; Wall)

Each week, we’ll take a look at what other college football media sites are saying about the Syracuse Orange.

Syracuse.com

The local writers move the Orange up one spot again this week to 6th in their ACC Power Rankings. Syracuse slides in between Clemson and Louisville this week.

ESPN

In this week’s SP+ rankings Syracuse drops down 7 spots to 35th with the offense 42nd while the defense ranks 31st. The Orange are ranked between Louisville and Texas Tech. SP+ has Army 85th this week (90th on offense and 80th on defense).

Syracuse moves up 2 spots in the Football Power Index to 16th between Miami and Clemson. FPI predicts the Orange for 9 wins now and gives them an 99% chance of making a bowl game, a 14.9% chance to win the ACC and a 7.9% chance to make the CFP. Army is 86th in the FPI this week.

ESPN’s ACC columnist Andrea Adelson has Syracuse 6th again this week between Wake and Louisville while David Hale has the Orange 6th, between Clemson and Louisville. Eric Mac Lain has Syracuse 7th between Louisville and Wake.

(youtube.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Football advanced to its second straight 3-0 start with a solid victory on the road against Purdue. On your Locked On Syracuse Monday Episode, Owen Valentine says the Orange warrant more national attention. This team is fun to watch.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/football/bleav-in-syracuse-episode-78 (SI; podcast; The Bleav)

Bleav in Syracuse podcast episode 78, presented by Bet Online, Hofmann Sausage Company and Purple Banana, is out! Mike McAllister, Josh Crawford, Griffin Della Penna and Sydney Supple break down the Orange's big win at Purdue, discuss the impact of Oronde Gadsden being out for the season and look ahead to Syracuse's week four matchup with Army. You can subscribe and listen on your favorite podcasting platforms as linked below.

Ranking the Top 5 SU athletes you’d want to do an NIL deal with (podcast) (PS; podcast; Axe)

It has taken less than two years for name, image and likeness to become a normal part of college athletics.

Syracuse University athletes have taken full advantage of NIL opportunities with car commercials, jersey sales, social media engagement and more.

On Episode 14 of Syracuse Sports, NIL expert Dan Greene and I discuss SU’s latest NIL collective, the latest trends in the NIL world and have a little fun ranking the Top 5 NIL athletes we’d want endorsing our fictional product.

We also listen in to a couple of your voicemails on Syracuse football and I have “One More Thing” on the Savannah Bananas’ visit to NBT Bank Stadium last week.

The “Syracuse Sports” voicemail line is 315-552-1964. Leave us a message anytime and it could be featured on a future episode.

ACC News

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...ball-week-four-predictions-for-every-acc-game (SI; Caudell)

Week three is in the books and now, the most anticipated ACC game of the year gets played this week.

During the offseason, Florida State vs Clemson was the talk of the ACC. This game was supposed to determine the top team in the conference and present a playoff contender. Some of the air got taken out of this game due to Clemson losing to Duke in week one, but the Tigers have a chance to reset their season if they can beat No. 4 Florida State at home this weekend.

That is by far the most intriguing game of the week in the ACC, but the second-best ACC game this upcoming weekend is taking place at Wake Forest. The undefeated Demon Deacons host Georgia Tech and this game is huge for both team's chances of making a bowl game.

I had a perfect week last week picking games and am now 30-6 this season. Let's keep the train rolling.

Note: I will have a full preview and pick for Wake Forest vs Georgia Tech later this week.

Friday, Sept. 22nd

NC State (-9.5) at Virginia (7:30 p.m. ESPN)

The ACC gets started this Friday night with a meeting between NC State and Virginia in Charlottesville. It has been a season to forget so far for UVA and it won't get any easier against Dave Dorean's team this week as the Wolfpack have an excellent defense. The interesting thing to watch here will be the NC State offense, which has sputtered to start the year. Former Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong should make enough plays to win and I like the Wolfpack here.

Final Score: NC State 31, UVA 17

Saturday, Sept. 23rd

Who will win between Florida State and Clemson?

Florida State (-1.5) at Clemson (12:00 p.m. ABC)

This game is going to be one of the most watched across the country this weekend and the winner is going to be the front-runner in the ACC. If Florida State wins, it cement its status as the top team in the conference and a playoff contender. If Clemson wins, however, they will reemerge as a factor in the ACC and be a contender. It is hard to say who needs to win this game more. If the Tigers lose, it could start a spiral for their season, considering they would already have two conference losses and both Duke and FSU would have none. Florida State is receiving plenty of hype after beating LSU, but they looked shaky this past weekend against Boston College. This will be a close game, but I trust Florida State to get it done on the road thanks to some explosive plays from Keon Coleman and Jordan Travis.

Final Score: Florida State 34, Clemson 27

Army at Syracuse (-13) (12:00 p.m. ACC Network)

Syracuse got an impressive road win against Purdue and is now 3-0. Army is also coming off of a pretty big win against UTSA, but it has been a tough season otherwise for Jeff Monken's group. I think Syracuse is good on both sides of the ball and quarterback Garrett Shrader has played great. Look for the Orange to cover the spread here and get a nice win.

Pitt mailbag: What will it take for the Panthers to make a change at quarterback? (P-G; Hiles & Carter)

Welcome to the Pitt mailbag, where the Post-Gazette reporters Noah Hiles and Chris Carter answer all of your questions about the Panthers. If you have a question, tweet them at @_Noahhiles and @Cartercritiques or email them at nhiles@post-gazette.com and ccarter@post-gazette.com. Noah and Chris will answer your questions in full length each Tuesday on YouTube. You can read the condensed version of the discussion below.

The notorious: With the offense struggling, clearly, running game stagnant, QB has the yips, receivers can’t catch, why in the world has Gavin Bartholomew not been involved much? He makes plays every time he touches the ball. He should be option 1 at this point, no?

Hiles
: I couldn’t agree more. It feels like we’ve been asking this question for over a year now — because we have. I’d argue that Gavin Bartholomew is the lone offensive player that’s looked good this season. He’s provided consistent production. Jurkovec actually looks comfortable when he throws him the ball. I’m just not sure what the disconnect is. We’ve seen them dial up plays that attempt to get others involved. Why not the same for arguably your best talent on offense?

Carter: Bartholomew needs to be more involved. Period. Every time they call his number, it results in a big play. He’s been on the receiving end of Pitt’s longest play from scrimmage back-to-back weeks. Why not throw him the ball more often? We heard all summer about how he’d get more looks with Jurkovec because he knew the offense. That just hasn’t been the case.

C dawg: Why won’t Narduzzi replace a QB when the play has been atrocious but will make changes at other spots (safety and guard)?

Hiles
: Chris actually asked Pat this exact question Monday afternoon at his press conference. Pat basically explained that quarterbacks deserve a longer leash than any other position, which is correct. But that doesn’t mean a quarterback should be impervious to replacement through three weeks. I think back to what he told me this summer when I interviewed him 1-on-1 in Charlotte. “At this point, Phil is the starting quarterback. I think he’s earned that. He’s played well. He’s protected the football. He’s been the thing you need to be at that position. But you still gotta go do it. If he goes out and throws a bunch of picks and doesn’t play well, things change. We’ve got a lot of faith in Nate Yarnell and Christian Veilleux.” I’m not sure if he’s sticking to his word right now.

Carter: Pat is correct to think quarterback is different from any other position on the field. Pitt also had position battles at guard and safety this summer, which makes even more sense as to why there have been multiple starters in those spots so early. But with all that being established, this is college football. Quarterbacks deserve a longer leash, but there is still nothing wrong with making a change, even if it's just for a game. Nick Saban, one of the greatest coaches of all time, played three quarterbacks last week. He’s changed quarterbacks in season before, and it has, at times, resulted in his team winning a national championship. I guess, maybe, the answer is that they’re afraid to say Christian Veilleux isn’t looking good in practice. But right now, Pat isn’t doing a great job at explaining why Jurkovec is still the starter.

2023 Cinematic Recap: at Boston College (youtube.com; video; FSU)

No. 3 Florida State opened ACC play with a victory at Boston College. Go into the locker room and on the sideline for the win, which included a 28-0 scoring run and the first game in program history without being tackled for a loss against an FBS opponent. FSU's defense registered 10 tackles for loss and grabbed an interception. DJ Lundy became the first FSU player since 1959 with an interception and rushing touchdown in the same game.

Here's how the ACC football teams stack up behind Florida State heading into fourth week of the season (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

This week’s ACC schedule represents the first full weekend of league play with five games on tap, headlined by what shapes up as a make-or-break showdown between No. 3 Florida State and No. 23 Clemson.

Last week was a pretty good one for the ACC, which went 4-2 in six games against Big Ten opponents and has seven teams that remain undefeated through the first three weeks of the season.

Five of those teams are ranked, which matches the number of SEC teams in this week’s US LBM Coaches Poll. But both leagues ironically are playing second fiddle to the soon-to-be-defunct Pac-12, which has eight ranked teams.

Here’s a look at this week’s ACC power rankings:

1. Florida State (3-0, 1-0)

Last week: 1

This week: at Clemson

What to know: The last time Florida State rolled into Clemson so highly ranked will conjure up unpleasant memories for Tigers fans – the Seminoles rolled 51-14 en route to the 2013 national title.

2. North Carolina (3-0)

Last week: 2

This week: at Pitt

What to know: Old Coastal Division rival Pitt is up first for Drake Maye and the Tar Heels, who have lost in overtime in each of their past two games at Acrisure Stadium (Heinz Field).

3. Duke (3-0, 1-0)

Last week: 3

This week: at UConn

What to know: The Blue Devils are no longer a surprise. They’re just good. The winless Huskies will serve as a final tune-up before hosting Notre Dame on Sept. 30.

4. Miami (3-0)

Last week: 4

This week: at Temple

What to know: A month into the season and the Hurricanes are playing their first road game. In this instance, we’re using the term “game” rather loosely – Miami is a 25-point favorite.

5. Clemson (2-1, 0-1)

Last week: 5

This week: vs. Florida State

What to know: Clemson has dominated the series of late, claiming seven consecutive wins against the Seminoles. After FSU’s close call at Boston College last week, the Tigers extending that streak isn't out of the question.

6. Louisville (3-0, 1-0)

Last week: 9

This week: vs. Boston College

What to know: Don’t fret. Tickets for this ACC clash may be yours for as little as $7, which sounds like a steal to see a team with an upside like Louisville’s.

7. Syracuse (3-0)

Last week: 10

This week: vs. Army

What to know: It’ll take an Army – literally – to slow this juggernaut of an Orange offense.

FSU football: ACC Power Rankings after week 3(2023) (chopchat.com; Hunt)

I had FSU football at the top half of my preseason ACC Power Rankings, but we’ll get to see if they stay there after a trip to Clemson this week.

Week three saw ACC teams handle several B1G teams. North Carolina rolled Minnesota, Syracuse beat Purdue, Duke beat Northwestern, and Louisville beat Indiana.

FSU survived against Boston College, and Clemson defeated FAU. Ole Miss rolled Georgia Tech, Rutgers rolled Virginia Tech, West Virginia beat Pitt, and Wake Forest had to come from behind to beat Old Dominion at home.

NC State throttled VMI, and Maryland rolled Virginia in Thursday night action.

Anyways, here are my updated rankings after week three:

1. FSU football
  2. Duke
  3. Miami
  4. North Carolina
  5. Syracuse
  6. Louisville (+1)
  7. Clemson (+2)
  8. Wake Forest (-2)
  9. NC State (+1)
  10. Pittsburgh (-2)
  11. Georgia Tech
  12. Virginia Tech
  13. Boston College (+1)
  14. Virginia (-1)

ACC Football Power Rankings - Week 3 (backingthepack.com; PW)

Just a reminder: these are point-in-time rankings, not a ranking based on the totality of the season’s work. If there seems to be an indiscernible difference between teams, then I’ll use results from prior weeks to differentiate. These are also arbitrary, so I’ll do what I want.

1. Duke (last week: 38-14 W vs Northwestern)

The Blue Devils controlled this game from start to finish as Northwestern never really threatened. Duke continues to be impressive and Riley Leonard continues to look the part of an upper echelon ACC quarterback. You have to wonder how long Duke’s going to be able to keep Mike Elko in Durham.

2. Miami (last week: 48-7 W vs Bethune-Cookman)

This game was never going to be close, and it never was. The Hurricanes outgained the Wildcats by 424 yards. With Temple, a bye week, and Georgia Tech up next, Miami should be 5-0 heading into their October 14th game at UNC.

3. Syracuse (last week: 35-20 W @ Purdue)

The Orange finally stepped away from crushing lined up tomato cans and came away with a two-score road victory over a Big Ten team. Granted, Purdue’s not one of the top teams in that conference, but this was still a good measuring stick game for Syracuse. Garrett Shrader wasn’t the best at passing, but he didn’t need to be since he used his legs to rip off 195 yards and 4 TDs on the ground. The Orange have Army up next before they jump into ACC play with Clemson, UNC, and Florida State in back-to-back-to-back games.

4. Clemson (last week: 48-14 W vs Florida Atlantic)

This game was over quickly as the Tigers jumped out to a three-score 1st quarter lead and Tom Herman’s FAU rebuild project just wasn’t going to be able to muster enough offense to overcome that. Clemson’s defense was the story of the game, though, as they scored an interception return TD and set up the Clemson offense with a pair of 26-yard TD drives.

5. North Carolina (last week: 31-13 W vs Minnesota)

UNC continues knock down the mid-level P5 teams on their schedule, this time beating the Golden Gophers at home. Drake Maye had another two pick outing, but it didn’t matter since Minnesota starts a QB with a completion percentage that would make Harrison Beck blush. That game likely goes down to the wire with a competent QB since the Gophers were successful on the ground. The Tar Heels start ACC play at Pittsburgh this Saturday.

6. NC State (last week: 45-7 W vs VMI)

The Wolfpack put up a thoroughly convincing win over an out-matched VMI squad, scoring in all three phases of the game. The offense averaged 6.5 yards/play in an effort that saw them tally just a hair under 500 yards of mistake free football. The defense held the Keydets to 191 total yards and allowed only one third down conversion on ten attempts. It was a game that State was supposed to dominate, but dominate they did. Next up is Friday’s ACC opener at Virginia.

SMU raises $100 million in seven-day stretch from key donors to support upcoming ACC move (cbssports.com; Straka)

SMU will forgo television revenue for up to nine years upon joining the ACC in 2024, but the Mustangs' donor base is stepping up to curb any financial disadvantage. The university raised $100 million within a seven-day stretch to support the school's upcoming transition to its new conference, it announced Monday, centering on financial commitments from thirty individuals that include "trustees and key donors."

"This is an unprecedented financial commitment from a core group of donors who have understood from the beginning that moving to the ACC will be transformational for our University on both athletic and academic levels," SMU President R. Gerald Turner said in a statement. "While there is still much work to be done, the ability to rally this kind of support in just one short week demonstrates that SMU and Dallas recognize the excellence of this opportunity and are stepping up to support it."

SMU, along with Cal and Stanford, accepted an invitation in early September to join the ACC, though under the condition that none of the three schools will receive full television revenue shares out of the gate. While the Mustangs will be without TV revenue for the first nine years, the Golden Bears and Cardinal will receive 30% television revenue shares for the first seven years; that number increases to 70% in Year 8 and 75% in Year 9. The additions will bring an estimated $72 million in additional media rights revenue to the ACC, per multiple reports, with up to $60 million of that revenue distributed to existing members in a revised model.

10 things I'm absolutely overreacting to after Week 3 in the ACC - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Friedlander)

The concept of building things up just to tear them down didn’t begin with the advent of social media. Facebook, Instagram and the platform formerly known as Twitter have only transformed it into an art form.

That’s why the wild ride Florida State has been on over the first 3 weeks of the 2023 season, while fascinating, is anything but surprising.

Expectations for the Seminoles were already high before a game was ever played. But they skyrocketed in the aftermath of the opening week beatdown Mike Norvell’s talented team put on LSU in Orlando.

Was it an overreaction?

Probably.

But that didn’t stop the hype from building.

No. 3 with a bullet, FSU became everybody’s cool pick to win the ACC, go undefeated, produce a Heisman winner and make a splash in the College Football Playoff.

And then Saturday happened.

Even though the Seminoles held on to beat Boston College 31-29, some warts were exposed. And it didn’t take long for folks to start jumping off the bandwagon.

Is it an overreaction?

Of course it is.

But that’s how it works. As Sir Isaac Newton taught us, what goes up must come down.

It’s just 1 of the 10 things I’m absolutely overreacting to in and around the ACC in Week 3.

10. Power of the red bandana

Maybe Boston College should wear those red bandanas every week?

There’s no other way to explain the Eagles’ inspired performance against Florida State than to attribute it to the motivation they got from their annual tribute to former BC lacrosse player and 9/11 hero Welles Crowther.

After getting beat by Northern Illinois and having to struggle to survive against Holy Cross, Jeff Hafley’s crew looked like a totally different team in giving the 3rd-ranked Seminoles all they could handle literally down to the wire.

Even though they lost and are going nowhere fast, the Eagles did Crowther’s memory proud by the way they showed out.

9. The sorry state of college football in Virginia

South Carolina took a beating across the previously mentioned social media platforms after the opening week of the season.

Not just the SEC’s Gamecocks.

The entire state.

As a widely-circulated meme pointed out, every Division I team in the Palmetto State lost on Labor Day weekend.

But when it comes to being the worst state for college football this season (so far), South Carolina has nothing on the mess that is Virginia.

There are some good teams in the Commonwealth. James Madison and Liberty are a combined 6-0. But when it comes to the Power 5, it doesn’t get much worse than Virginia and Virginia Tech.

The Hokies and Cavaliers won only 3 games each last year. With just 1 victory between them so far in 2023 – earned by Tech against another in-state team, Old Dominion – they’ll have a hard time equaling that woeful performance this year.

8. That’s the Brennan Armstrong I remember

The most prolific left-handed passer in ACC history was supposed to add some electricity to NC State’s offense and reunion with former offensive coordinator Robert Anae.

The only electricity to come out of his first 2 performances in red and white, however, was the lightning strike that momentarily knocked out the new $15 million scoreboard at Carter-Finley Stadium during the weather delay against Notre Dame.

Armstrong recorded 2 touchdowns and 3 interceptions in a win against UConn and a loss to the Irish. But he looked more like himself on Saturday while completing 27-of-32 passes for 264 yards and a touchdown while averaging 6.5 yards per carry.

OK, so it was against VMI. But if nothing else it was a nice warmup for Armstrong’s return to UVA next week.

7. Didn’t you used to be Phil Jurkovec?

Pat Narduzzi swung and missed last year when he brought Kedon Slovis in from Southern Cal to fill the quarterback void left by 1st-round NFL Draft pick Kenny Pickett. So he stepped right back up to the plate and took another shot at the transfer portal by adding Jurkovec from Boston College.

It had all the makings of a home run pickup. Instead, Narduzzi finds himself in an 0-2 hole.

Jurkovec is a local Pittsburgh kid with 5 years of college experience. He’s been an effective passer when healthy, but so far this season he’s been anything but.

After completing only 31% of his passes in a loss to Cincinnati last week, he was only 8-of-20 (40%) with 3 interceptions while failing to get his team into the end zone in Saturday’s ugly 17-6 loss to West Virginia in the Backyard Brawl.

Jurkovec was openly critical of Pitt fans who booed him and his offense during the Cincinnati game by publicly calling them out as “pathetic.” But when you put up the kind of numbers he has, with only a win against Wofford to show for your first 3 games with a new team, you’re not going to get many pats on the back.

His performances have been so bad that Narduzzi is considering making a change for next week’s ACC opener against North Carolina.

6. The next Josh Downs

When you have a generational quarterback the caliber of Drake Maye running your offense, why in the world would you rely so heavily on the running game rather than your star’s powerful right arm?

That’s a question North Carolina coach Mack Brown and his new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey were being asked after the first 2 games. Even though the Tar Heels won both, the strategy was akin to the Golden State Warriors posting up Steph Curry in the paint every possession instead of letting him fire 3-pointers.

Now we know the answer. The problem wasn’t with Maye, it was with a receiving corps devoid of playmakers without the ineligible Tez Walker and the injured Nate McCollum. That all changed Saturday. Not only was McCollum back, but his presence made an immediate and dramatic impact.

“He became Josh Downs for us today,” Brown said.

That’s saying a lot, since Downs averaged 98 catches over the past 2 seasons and is currently playing in the NFL for the Indianapolis Colts. But it’s not much of a stretch.

McCollum’s 15 catches were just 1 off Downs’ single-game school record. His 165 yards with a touchdown helped open up things for Maye, who revitalized his Heisman hopes by airing it out for 414 yards in a 31-13 win against Minnesota.

5. Orange crushed

While UNC added a difference-maker to its offense on Saturday, Syracuse was learning that its most potent pass catching threat will be lost for the rest of the season.

It was announced shortly before the Orange’s game against Purdue that Oronde Gadsden III has been shut down because of an injury to his foot suffered last week against Western Michigan. The news is a devastating blow to Syracuse’s hopes heading into its ACC schedule.

Even though the Orange still managed to score 35 points in a win against Purdue, most of that production came courtesy of quarterback Garrett Shrader’s legs. Shrader ran for 123 yards and 3 touchdowns. While he also threw for 184 yards, his 14 completions went to only 3 players. And only 2 of them, Damien Alford and Donovan Brown, are wide receivers.

It doesn’t bode well moving forward, especially with a 3-game gauntlet of Clemson, North Carolina and Florida State rapidly approaching.

ACC Football Game Times & Networks Announced for Week 5 (theacc.com)

The Atlantic Coast Conference and its television partners announced the following football game times and networks for Week 5 of the season on Sept. 29-30.

Friday, Sept. 29

• Louisville at NC State, 7 p.m. ET on ESPN – as previously announced
Saturday, Sept. 30
  • Clemson at Syracuse, Noon ET on ABC
  • Virginia at Boston College, 2 p.m. ET on The CW Network
  • Bowling Green at Georgia Tech, 3:30 p.m. ET on ACC Network
  • Notre Dame at Duke, 7:30 p.m. ET on ABC
  • Pitt at Virginia Tech, 8 p.m. ET on ACC Network
ACC Notes
  • The Clemson and Syracuse matchup at noon on Sept. 30 on ABC will mark the fifth straight week this season that an ACC team has played in ABC’s Saturday noon game – Virginia (Sept. 2), NC State (Sept. 9), Florida State and Boston College (Sept. 16), Florida State and Clemson (Sept. 23).
  • In Week 1 of the 2023 season, the ACC captivated the national audience, averaging 5.1 million viewers – more than double all other conferences in the highest average per game viewership for the week.
    • Overall, the ACC was part of three of the top seven most-watched games for Week 1.
    • Through Week 2, the ACC had three home broadcasts with 4M+ viewers – no other conference had more than one.
  • During the first five weeks of the season, the ACC will have three games on ABC's “Saturday Night Football”, as well as 19 appearances combined on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2.
    • In total to date, 13 ACC contests are scheduled for national ABC broadcasts and the ACC Network will also feature 18 games.
    • Of the 13 full national ABC telecasts, 10 different league programs will be featured.

Looking Ahead / TV Notes 2023 Sep 22-23 (RX; HM)

Looking Ahead / TV Notes 2023 Sep 22-23

From Matt Sarzniak's blog post: CFB TV Confirmations for 2023 Week 5

Friday, Sept. 29

• 7:00 pm* ESPN: Louisville at NC State

Saturday, Sept. 30

Early Afternoon

• 12:00 pm ABC: Clemson at Syracuse

Mid-Day/Late Afternoon

• 2:00 pm CW: Virginia at Boston College
  • 3:00 pm Pac-12: Arizona State at California
  • 3:30 pm ACC: Bowling Green at Georgia Tech

Prime Time/Evening

• 6:30 pm Pac-12: Oregon at Stanford
  • 7:30 pm ABC: Notre Dame at Duke
  • 7:30 pm ESPNU: Charlotte at SMU
  • 8:00 pm ACC: Pitt at Virginia Tech
*All times Eastern.

SUMMARY

By Time Slots

1 Friday night game (but it's a good one)

• 1 Saturday noon game (but it's a good one!)
  • 3 Mid-day/Late Afternoon games (counting one Pac-12 game)
  • 4 Prime-Time/Evening games (including Stanford and SMU)

State of Florida Football 2023 (RX; HM)

State of Florida Football 2023

First, an "X" tweet...

It’s crazy that all P5 teams in Florida are undefeated going into week 4 pic.twitter.com/FFpWbEtSSa
— Atlanta Nole (@nole_atl) September 18, 2023
We'll leave it to you to decide whether UCF is really in this conversation or not...

AP Ranked Teams, Florida

#4 Florida State
#20 Miami, FL
#25 Florida
From AP... Top 25 Reality Check: Florida, Florida State, Miami ranked together for 1st time since 2017

There was a time when that threesome practically ruled the sport. As recently as 2000, the Seminoles, Hurricanes and Gators all finished in the top 10...
The Florida State-Miami game is Nov. 11 in Tallahassee. The Seminoles and Gators play their traditional season-ending rivalry on Thanksgiving weekend. The last time both of those games were matchups of ranked teams was 2016...

It almost feels like the old days (the difference: Virginia Tech was really good back then).

2023 Best Colleges Rankings (RX; HM)

2023 Best Colleges Rankings

From the official ACC release of Monday, Sept. 18, 2023...

ACC Members Post Strong Showing in Annual U.S. News & World Report ‘Best Colleges’ Rankings

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) – For the 17th consecutive year, the Atlantic Coast Conference leads the way among Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conferences in the “Best Colleges” rankings released by U.S. News & World Report.
“The ACC’s 15-member institutions pride themselves on providing every student-athlete with an elite athletic - and world-class academic - experience,” said ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips, Ph.D. “Our schools’ dedication to excellence at every level continues to be showcased, and we are proud that our member schools are one of the top collections of academic institutions across higher education.”
Notables from this year’s rankings:

• The ACC has led the FBS conferences in the best average rank in each of the last 17 years.
  • The average rank of ACC schools is 54.9, which leads all FBS Conferences.
  • The ACC’s four schools among the top 30 of this year’s rankings are the most among peer conferences.
  • The ACC's eight schools ranked in the top 50 are the most among all FBS conferences.
  • The ACC’s 13-member schools among the top 70 are the most among all FBS conferences.

Other

R5A6MGS5UVF6JCIVKOVNRDWGDM.jpg

The Milback house at The Parade of Homes 2023 at River Grove in Radisson in Baldwinsville Monday, September 11, 2023. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

NYS Camping Show, Vegfest, #SYRFoodTrucks Foodie Fest: 18 things to do this week in Central NY (PS; Croyle)

Autumn arrives this week. As we get used to the slower pace of the season and the routine of school, football games, and picking up your pumpkin spice favorites, there is still a lot to do around the area. The 38th annual Central Square Apple Festival opens its gates once more at the Brewerton Speedway with fritters, doughnuts, cider, and amusement park rides. The Syracuse Mets say goodbye for the year with its final homestand at NBT Bank Stadium. Vegans of the area should get to the Inner Harbor on Saturday for the third annual Vegest. The New York State Fairgrounds host its #SyrFoodTruck Fall Fest. While there, you can run down to the Midway and see some of the RVs for sale at the annual Camping and RV Show, a sign that maybe spring and summer are not as far away as they seem.

Know of an event you would like to see on this list? Email us at least two weeks in advance at features@syracuse.com.

Monday

Parade of Homes

The annual Parade of Homes continues its eleven-day run at the River Grove development of Radisson in Lysander. Tour six new homes and pick up some great interior decorating ideas. Play the daily trivia game and win prizes. Visit hbrcny.com for a calendar of special theme days and a food truck schedule. Purchase tickets at the gate during the Parade are $15.

Where: Hickory Knoll Lane, Lysander
When: Continues every day through September 24, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
How much: $15 at the gate after the Parade begins.

Tuesday

Mets Final Homestand

Another baseball season ends at NBT Bank Stadium. Before the final out on Sunday against Scranton-Wilkes Barre, the team has a full week of activities. Promotions include Taco Tuesday, a special fireworks display on Wednesday, Thursday is Irish Night, Friday has more fireworks and is Youth Soccer night, and Saturday is Italian Night. The season ends on Sunday with the 6th Annual Frederick J. Karle Fan Appreciation Day featuring “nine Innings of winning.” Go to www.milb.com/syracuse/tickets/promotions for more details and to buy your tickets.

Where: 1 Tex Simone Drive, Syracuse
When: Games start at 6:35 p.m. except Sunday, which starts at 1:05.
How much: Tickets start at $14, plus fees.

VW4VJI77SRA47AT2VPGHSM5RU4.jpg

Beak & Skiff orchard. Adult-friendly apple and pumpkin picking. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Central NY apple orchard picked once again as one of the top orchards in the country (PS; Hernandez)

Upstate New York loves their apple orchards and one farm has earned accolades by the bushel.

Central New York’s Beak & Skiff Apple Orchards was named on USA Today’s 10Best list of best apple orchards in America.

Located in the hills of “apple country” in Lafayette, Beak & Skiff has often been recognized on best orchards lists, making USA Today’s ranking six times in the past eight years. In 2021, they took home the number one spot on the list.

The popular orchard is one of the largest and highest profile apple businesses in New York. It is owned and operated by descendants of dairy farmer Andrew Beak and onion farmer George Skiff who founded the orchard in 1911.

USA Today included their wide variety of apples available to pick in their article, 19 in total, including Gala, McIntosh, Ginger Gold, and Paula Red. You can find their apple picking schedule online.

Not only can you find rows of trees to pick your own apples from, there is a whole Apple Hill Campus to enjoy with a bakery, country shop, cafe, a play area for kids, and a hard cider taproom for adults. The campus is also open for more than just apple season with a list of summer concerts and you can even book your own Airbnb stay on property.

Guests, and even celebrities, come from far and wide to enjoy the splendor of the fall foliage and Beak & Skiff’s apple experience.

In 2022, Beak & Skiff also opened their Ayrloom production facility, a part of their Gen V Labs offshoot, which makes edible THC gummies and vape products, and two variations of its marijuana seltzer. You can purchase their line of CBD edibles, drinks and more through their website.