Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
swallows.jpg

Welcome to International Swallows Depart From San Juan Capistrano Day!

We celebrate International Swallows Depart from San Juan Capistrano Day on October 23. It is a day to witness the mass migration and admire the natural grace and beauty of swallows. Swallows are tiny, elegant birds with dark-blue backs and white underparts. They have pumpkin-colored rumps and a light patch on their forehead. Countless birds flock together and nest inside San Juan Capistrano on or around October 23. These birds spend their spring and summer in the church and return to Argentina for the winter. People travel long distances to admire the birds’ natural beauty and grace.

SU News

Interview with Syracuse University football coach Dino Babers (localsyr.com; video; localsyr.com)

Interview with Syracuse University football coach Dino Babers

Dino Babers joins Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia on the radio

D.O. Sportscast: Brent Axe answers Syracuse sports' most pressing questions (DO; podcast; DO Sportscast)

On this episode of the D.O. Sportscast, syracuse.com columnist Brent Axe joins host Connor Smith to talk Syracuse football, NIL and the upcoming basketball season. Axe answers the most urgent questions surrounding SU sports, also explaining what Adam Weitsman is doing with Binghamton basketball.

Newhouse after Noon 10-20-23 (ESPN; radio; Newhouse After Noon)

Today on Newhouse after Noon, Nico Horning & Max Gifford started things of by talking about Syracuse football’s next week thursday match up against Virginia Tech. The two broke down the season to this point and what they expect against VT and the rest of the season. They also talked about Kiyan Anthony’s recent visit to ‘Cuse. Kiran Costa & Rahill Jaiswal finished things off talking about what they expect from SUMBB and new head couch Adrian Autry.

Outlook for Syracuse football after bye week (247sports.com; Finneral)

It has been a whirlwind for Syracuse throughout the first seven games of the 2023 season. The Orange started out strong with four wins in the non-conference schedule. However, Syracuse has since lost its last three games and enters its bye week with a 4-3 record.

The road ahead

The final five was the most unpredictable stretch for Syracuse heading into the season and that remains the case currently. On paper, every opponent is beatable, but each of these teams have flashed at points and Syracuse can’t overlook any of them.

Out of the gate, Syracuse has a Thursday night road matchup against Virginia Tech. This is a team that ranks below average in the ACC in many statistical categories. Syracuse is probably the more talented team, but that home-field advantage in Blacksburg will be no joke. This will be a very telling first game out of the bye to see the adjustments Syracuse has made.

Syracuse finally returns home to face Boston College on a Friday night. The Eagles have been up and down this season, but currently ride a two-game win streak, including a close one against Army, who Syracuse defeated earlier this year. BC quarterback Thomas Castellanos is a unique athlete, who is likely the most mobile signal-caller the Orange will see this season.

Syracuse Football: Why I still believe in this Orange football team (itlh; Fiello)

On Sunday, my son and I went to a Syracuse University men’s soccer game. His varsity soccer team was one of many high school teams that attended, and I wanted to go, too.

We got there early and I saw a familiar face in the distance. Now, I wasn’t 100% sure and my son was playing with a couple of teammates so I wandered closer to see. And yes my initial thought was correct…Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers was near the stadium.

I walked over to him and said hello to a warm and receptive greeting in return. I explained why we were here and assured him that I was still rooting for him and the team. He said he appreciated it and that he’s following what I wrote as well.

As Coach was getting ready to drive off, I asked him smilingly, “We’re going to win more games, right?” His response was a very emphatic and positive one, reassuring me that he still believes in this team.

You see, I’m a homer. I believe in my team and the players and staff who represent them. All I need is assurance that we aren’t giving up and that they’re someone I want representing the team I love. Coach Babers is that guy.

Why I still believe in Syracuse football this season.

Now I get it, too. Those three games were brutal losses and people are disappointed. I was disappointed, too, and I bet more than anyone, so are the players and the staff.

So when people jump in my mentions to insult me or I see random posts on social media out of frustration, part of me does understand. Despite the narrative about fans like me, I like winning, too.

But I’m also still that homer kid inside who loved his hometown team. That kid who couldn’t go to games and maybe did one football game ever before the age of 30 but always loved the team and wanted to.

So I’ll go cheer for my team no matter the record or the opponent. I’ll wear my Syracuse Orange win or lose. I’ll stand by the sides of the player and staff telling them that I have their backs until the end.

And I’ll have that look in Coach Babers’ eyes and the words he told me when he reassured me with emphasis that we will win again because I believed.

ACC football: Mid-season Championship and College Football Playoff odds (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

By this point, the Syracuse Orange and every other ACC football team has played at least six regular season games, making it a good time to check in on some updated conference championship odds from DraftKings .

No. 4 Florida State opened the season with the best chance at a conference title, and the Seminoles remain at the top heading into Week 8 with -180 odds. No. 10 UNC moved up from third-best odds to second-best at +300, and since the two remaining undefeated ACC teams do not face each other in the regular season, they both control their destinies.

NCAA Football: Miami at North Carolina
Nell Redmond-USA TODAY Sports

Duke, Louisville, and Clemson are all close together in the next three spots; the Cardinals have the luxury of not facing either FSU or UNC this season, while the other two still have the Tar Heels on their calendars.

Beyond that, a 13-0 ACC squad should be guaranteed a playoff spot. With the Big Ten trifecta of Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State set to prevent more than one perfect record in the Big Ten, you can confidently say that the ‘Noles (-150) or Heels (+700) ought to be playing into January.

Georgia (-190) and Michigan (-155) are the other schools favorited to get in, with the four seed wide open. Undefeated Washington (+125) and Oklahoma (+160) round out the obvious competition.

Syracuse football: The best players on opposing teams are behind the Orange (TNIAAM; De Guzman)

A lot of fans want to overreact to the recent stretch of Syracuse Orange games. However, the quality of opponent gets significantly easier for Syracuse. There are many ways to define easier, and one of those ways is by the talent of the players that Syracuse faces. Case in point is the futures odds from DraftKings for some of the top awards in college football. The Orange have already faced seven players with Heisman Trophy award odds from our friends at DraftKings. Syracuse doesn’t play anyone else with a player on DraftKings’ shortlist for Heisman odds.

The players Syracuse have faced with Heisman odds from DraftKings are:

• Jordan Travis - Florida State (4th: +1200)
  • Drake Maye - North Carolina (6th: +1800)
  • Will Shipley - Clemson (T-20th: +15000)
  • Omarion Hampton - North Carolina (T-20th: +15000)
  • Keon Coleman - Florida State (T-20th: +15000)
  • Cade Klubnik - Clemson (T-32nd: +20000)
  • Trey Benson - Florida State (T-38th: +30000)
You have to be a pretty good player and have a pretty good season to get a sniff near Heisman odds. The fact that Syracuse has already played seven of these players and don’t play anyone else with players on the Heisman odds shortlist shows the quality of opponent does take a tip.

How Syracuse football transfers fared: Courtney Jackson catches TD in loss (PS; Owens)

Courtney Jackson caught his fifth touchdown pass of the season on Saturday, but his Arkansas State Red Wolves lost to Coastal Carolina 27-17.

Jackson’s scoring catch came on a 20-yard toss from Jaylen Raynor with 2:49 left in the game and finished up the day’s scoring.

Jackson caught five passes for 99 yards on the day, both season highs for the junior from Monroeville, Pennsylvania. He has 20 catches for 379 yards this year.

In 2021, Jackson led the Syracuse Orange in receiving with 37 receptions for 389 yards and three touchdowns. Last season, those totals dipped to 15 catches for 201 yards and one touchdown. He entered the transfer portal and committed to Arkansas State in December.

Here’s a look at how other Syracuse transfers fared over the weekend.

Luke Benson, tight end, Georgia Tech: Benson played but did not compile any stats in the Yellow Jackets’ 38-23 home loss to Boston College.
Geoff Cantin-Arku, LB, Memphis: Cantin-Arku had eight tackles, five solo, as Memphis beat Alabama-Birmingham 45-21.
Ja’Had Carter, safety, Ohio State: Carter suffered an injury to his left leg during the first quarter of Ohio State’s 20-12 win over Penn State. Carter had to be helped off the field following an Ohio State kickoff return.
Duce Chestnut, cornerback, LSU: LSU coach Brian Kelly said this week that Chestnut is “inactive.”
Jatius Geer, edge, South Carolina: Geer had three tackles, two solo, in South Carolina’s 34-12 loss at No. 20 Missouri.
Jawhar Jordan, running back, Louisville: The Cardinals had a bye week.
Lee Kpogba, linebacker, West Virginia: Kpogba had five tackles, one solo, in the Mountaineers’ 48-34 loss to Oklahoma State.
Justin Lamson, quarterback, Stanford: Lamson, who has split time with Ashton Daniels at quarterback for the Cardinal for much of this season, saw little action in Saturday’s 42-7 loss to No. 25 UCLA. Lamson was credited with one rush for a yard and did not throw a pass.
Steve Linton, linebacker, Texas Tech: Linton had four tackles, one solo, as Tech lost to Brigham Young, 27-14

Former Syracuse football standout Duce Chestnut currently ‘inactive’ with LSU (PS; Carlson)

LSU football coach Brian Kelly said this week that former Syracuse defensive back Duce Chestnut is currently “inactive” with the Tigers but that he remains on scholarship at LSU.

“Duce is inactive,” Kelly said. “He is still on scholarship. He is still on the roster. But he is inactive right now.”

Kelly did not provide more detail on Chestnut, who hasn’t played since LSU’s fourth game of the season. LSU spokesperson Mike Bonnette told syracuse.com that Chestnut is still taking classes at LSU.

A standout on Syracuse for two seasons, Chestnut was one of the program’s headline losses this offseason. The transfers of Chestnut and safety Ja’Had Carter (Ohio State) left the Orange needing to replace the majority of its secondary this offseason.

While Syracuse head coach Dino Babers did not mention specific names, he said that the Orange’s depth has been hurt this season because much of it has been “bought.”

Chestnut played as both a true freshman and a sophomore at Syracuse, meaning he entered this season with two years of college eligibility remaining. Football players can play up to four games in a season and still redshirt, preserving a year of their eligibility.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...records-interception-in-first-career-nfl-game (SI; McAllister)

Former Syracuse cornerback Garrett Williams played in his first NFL game on Sunday and made his debut memorable. Playing for the Arizona Cardinals, who selected him in the third round of the 2023 NFL Draft, Williams intercepted a pass from Seattle Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith in the third quarter. The play stopped a Seahawks drive that had gone deep into Cardinals territory. You can watch the video in the embedded tweet below.

A three time All ACC selection, Williams battled injuries over the last couple of years that resulted in him falling to the third round. Absent that, he had a shot at the first round and was a second round prospect at worst. Those injuries delayed his pro debut.

During three seasons at Syracuse, Williams had 152 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks, 27 passes defensed, four interceptions, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and a defensive touchdown. He led the ACC in passes defensed in 2020 with 12 as part of his Freshman All American season.

AYXEFW24JJGLTM7T5H5S5URERM.JPG

Christian Brothers Academy's Syair Torrence is still deciding where he will play college football next fall. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

CBA star Syair Torrence controlling what he can control following Michigan State de-commitment (PS; $; Lacy Jr)

Syair Torrence’s future looked to be settled a year ago. The Christian Brothers Academy star was committed to play for the hometown Syracuse University football team next fall.

After a conversation with Orange coach Dino Babers, Torrence announced his de-commitment from the Orange in May. In June, he committed to Michigan State. Last week, Torrence has de-committed from the Spartans and has again opened his recruiting.

“I just have to see how the pieces are,” Torrence said. “(Michigan State) is still one of my top schools. I just have to see how it is and then just be patient. Just wait.”

Torrence’s offers from Syracuse, Michigan State, Rutgers, Pittsburgh and Boston College are still on the table. Other teams such as Louisville, Penn State and Georgia Tech have expressed interest but have not extended an offer.

After announcing his de-commitment last week, Torrence said numerous schools have reached out to him, including Syracuse.

“Anything can happen,” Torrence said when asked about SU. “I’m not going to say what, but anything can happen.”

With his high school season still going on and CBA looking to continue its undefeated season and win a section championship, Torrence is doing his best to block outside distractions during these next few critical weeks.

For Elijah Welch, Westhill football is a family affair (DO; Tseng)

Elijah Welch was practically born into Westhill High School’s football program. His father, Marcus Sr., and his two older brothers, Marcus Jr. and Reggie, are all former Westhill running backs. Welch’s mother, Meghan, has family members who played for the school as well.

Now, Welch helms Westhill as its starting quarterback, continuing his family’s legacy.

“Westhill football, that’s family for us,” Marcus Jr. said.

Welch grew up attending his brothers’ games. As a child, he learned from Marcus Jr. and Reggie. He used to frequent the locker room during halftimes of games, immersing himself with the Westhill football team.

Since then, Welch has developed into a premier dual-threat quarterback in New York’s Section III. In his freshman year, Welch threw 23 touchdowns while leading his team with five rushing scores in 2022. And so far this season, he’s recorded 1,197 passing yards and 744 rushing for 21 total touchdowns.

Marcus Jr. remembered Welch, then a ball boy, was always by his side when he played varsity. One of the biggest things Welch learned from his brothers is not stopping until the clock hits zero.

“A lot of people give up very early if they feel that they don’t have it or the game is over,” Welch said. “But one thing I always noticed with my brothers, they always played the full game. They gave everything they had on the field…I learned to keep going even when you feel like you don’t have it.”

ACC News

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article280850735.html (N&O; Carter)

What’s the old saying? You can take ACC football out of a divisional format but you can’t take the Coastal Division out of ACC football? Something like that. The latest proof: North Carolina’s inexplicable, confounding, nonsensical, what-on-Earth defeat against Virginia on Saturday night.

Nothing about that game, or result, made sense given everything we thought we knew – or, really, given everything we’d seen with our own eyes for a little more than half the season. UNC’s defense, until Saturday night, had been a feel-good kind of story — not a worst-to-first kind of thing but certainly from the incompetence of last season to competence of this one. Drake Maye had been Drake Maye. The Tar Heels offense, overall, looked about as formidable as any in the country.

And then? Well, and then came Saturday.

The defense reverted to 2022 form. Maye played perhaps the worst game of his otherwise mostly-stellar two college seasons. He received little help from a receiving corps that one could have argued was the ACC’s best. And then there was Virginia, which arrived at Kenan Stadium as arguably the worst team in the ACC and left with the kind of victory that reminds us of the best of what sports can be, given the horror that program has endured for much of the past year.

You had to feel good for the Cavaliers, whose performance undoubtedly provided a catharsis that was about a lot more than football. No program in the country has gone through more turmoil and grief than Virginia, after three players died in a shooting almost a year ago. This wasn’t so much a moment of healing — for that has to happen individually, in time — as it was a moment for a wounded and hurt team to come together and celebrate. That part of Saturday was special. For UNC, though, this was an abysmal defeat.

Kelly Gramlich and Eric Mac Lain talk ACC football - Gramlich and Mac Lain (M&G; podcast; M&G)

Episode 333: Week 8 Recap - FSU Remains Undefeated + UNC Stumbles & Clemson Falls

Biggest Losers 2023 Week 8 (RX;. HM)

Biggest Losers 2023 Week 8

Who were the Biggest Losers in Week 8?

Top 25 Ranked Losers

#10 North Carolina lost at home to Virginia, 27-31
Inexplicable. No defense for having such bad defense. See below. Next for UNC: at Georgia Tech

#16 Duke lost at #4 Florida State, 20-38
totally understandable and actually a good effort by the Blue Devils. Next for Duke: at Louisville

#17 Tennessee lost at #11 Alabama, 20-34
The Vols are NOT back and last year looks like a fluke.
Next for UT: at Kentucky

#18 USC lost at home to #14 Utah, 32-34
Now that Trojans are in the meat of their schedule, things aren't so easy, huh? Next up: at Cal!

#24 Iowa lost at home to Minnesota, 10-12
The only ranked loss that actually resulted in a team dropping out of the Top 25.

AP Poll 2023 Oct 22 (RX; HM)

AP Poll 2023 Oct 22

Here's the latest AP Poll.

AP Top 25
RKTEAM
1Georgia
2Michigan
3Ohio State
4Florida State
5Washington
6Oklahoma
7Texas
8Oregon
9Alabama
10Penn State
11Oregon State
12Ole Miss
13Utah
14Notre Dame
15LSU
16Missouri
17North Carolina
18Louisville
19Air Force
20Duke
21Tennessee
22Tulane
23UCLA
24USC
25James Madison
Others receiving votes:
26Florida
27Liberty
28Kansas State
29Miami
30Fresno State
31Oklahoma St
32Toledo
T33Rutgers
T33Kentucky
T35UNLV
T35Wisconsin

Comments:

Despite the UNC upset loss, the conference still has the same four teams in the rankings. However, the Miami overtime win over Clemson paves the way for a possible Top 25 return for the Hurricanes.

Ranked-on-Ranked, Week 9

• #8 Oregon at #13 Utah
  • #20 Duke at #18 Louisville
Go figure: there are only two ranked-on-ranked games, and one of them is an ACC game.

Saturday Results 2023 Oct 21 (RX; HM)

Saturday Results 2023 Oct 21

Just some quick thoughts on yesterday's games...

#16 Duke 20
#4 Florida State 38

The Higher-ranked team playing at home is supposed to win, and they did - by 18 points. This is only the second loss for the Blue Devils; the Seminoles remain undefeated and looking like a playoff team.

Clemson 20
Miami 28 (2OT)

The Canes scored first and, more importantly, last to win in 2 OTs. This was obviously a pretty evenly-matched game. Miami remains in the hunt for a presigious bowl game. As for the Tigers: you are what your record says you are - win out and it can still be a very good season.

Virginia 31
#10 UNC 27

This has to be the upset of the day in the ACC, if not all of college football. This is the first loss for the Tar Heels, but only the second win of the year for the Cavaliers!

Boston College 38
Georgia Tech 23

One of these teams was going to remain in the bowl hunt, while the other is likely in "wait until next year" mode. Looks like the Eagles are still pushing foward, needing just 2 more wins with UConn up next, while the Yellow Jackets are close to being eliminated with UNC, Clemson, and Georgia still on the schedule.

Pitt 17
Wake 21

We thought this might be a defensvie struggle, and neither team really did all that much on offense. Next up for Wake Forest is Florida State, while Pitt must travel to Notre Dame.

UCLA 42
Stanford 7

The Cardinal has 5 losses already, hosts #5 Washington next week, and still has Notre Dame in the finale. Not much for their fans to get excited about.

Virginia vs. North Carolina Condensed Game | 2023 ACC Football (youtube; video; ACC DN)

Virginia pulled off the massive upset win over No. 10 North Carolina on the road, 31-27. The Cavaliers were led by running back Mike Hollins, who accounted for 3 of his team’s 4 touchdowns on the night. WR Malik Washington also had a game to remember, as he accounted for 115 of Tony Muskett’s 208 passing yards and scored the other Cavaliers touchdown. Tar Heels QB Drake Maye threw for 347 yards and 2 touchdowns in the loss, while Omarion Hampton had 112 yards on the ground.

Pitt vs. Wake Forest Condensed Game | 2023 ACC Football (youtube; video; ACC DN)

Wake Forest got a last-minute touchdown to prevail in a game that saw almost all of its offense come in the final half, beating Pitt, 21-17. Wake RB Demond Claiborne had 96 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the win, while QB Santino Marucci had 151 yards and the game winning TD in his first career start. Pitt QB Christian Veilleux had two touchdowns on 27 completed passes and 261 yards in the win, including a perfectly-executed 2-minute drill to win the game. WR Bub Means had 109 yards and a touchdown reception, while RB C’Bo Flemister had 105 yards on the ground.

Clemson vs. Miami Game Highlights | 2023 ACC Football (youtube; video; ACC DN)

It took two overtimes, but Miami defeated Clemson 28-20 to pick up the bounce-back win. The Canes defense did a terrific job limiting the Tigers’ run game, only allowing 31 total yards rushing. Miami QB Emory Williams was solid in his first start, completing 24 of 33 passing attempts for 151 yards and a touchdown. Clemson QB Cade Klubnik had 314 yards and 2 touchdowns passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9nbCIy6vjE (youtube; video; ACC DN)

The #4 Seminoles continued their dominant run in 2023 as they defeated the #16 Blue Devils, 38-20. Florida State has their first 7-0 start to the season since 2014. Quarterback Jordan Travis had another fantastic game completing 27 of 36 passes for 268 yards and two touchdowns, and also running for 62 yards and another score. Wide Receiver Johnny Wilson caught eight passes for 53 yards. For Duke, Riley Leonard started the game, but had to come out due to injury in the second half. Running back Jaquez Moore ran the ball 16 times for 110 yards and a touchdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TPskYSCn4 (youtube; video; ACC DN)

Boston College improved to 4-3 on the season after pulling away in the fourth quarter against Georgia Tech on the road to win 38-23. For the Eagles, the ground game played the biggest role in the win, as RB Kye Robichaux had 21 carries for 165 yards and 2 touchdowns. QB Thomas Castellanos ran the ball 13 times for 128 yards and a pair of scores of his own. He also passed the ball 29 times for 17 completions and 255 yards. BC’s Elijah Jones snagged 2 interceptions on the day. For the Jackets, QB Haynes King had 354 total yards and 2 total touchdowns.

https://www.si.com/college/georgiatech/football/acc-football-power-rankings-week-nine (SI; Caudell)

After yesterday, Florida State is now the last remaining unbeaten team in the ACC and they might be the only team in the conference with legitimate playoff hopes.

Despite having a scare against Duke, the Seminoles came out on top and reached 7-0. Unfortunately for the Blue Devils, that is a big loss for them in the ACC Championship race.

North Carolina looked like a darkhorse playoff contender last Saturday and then lost as a 24-point favorite against Virginia last night in one of the biggest upsets of the season. The Tar Heels still have a path to the ACC title game, but that loss put a damper on their bigger aspirations this season.

So moved up and who moved down this week in the ACC Power Rankings?

14. Pittsburgh (2-5). Last week: 11

For the first time all season, Virginia is not the lowest-ranked team in the power rankings. That honor belongs to Pitt, who lost to Wake Forest, and their third-string quarterback. The Panthers could not keep their momentum going after beating Louisville and it is starting to look like the Panthers may not make a bowl game. The Panthers travel to Notre Dame next week.

13. Virginia (2-5). Last week: 14

UVA only moves up one spot after their big upset win, but they have a lot to feel good about following that game. Quarterback Anthony Muskett played well and running back Mike Hollins scored three touchdowns. It has been a tough season for the Cavaliers, but they played an inspired game last night and they will have to bring another great effort against Miami next week.

12. Syracuse (4-3). Last week: 10

Syracuse was off this week and return to action against Virginia Tech on Thursday

11. Wake Forest (4-3). Last week: 13

Wake Forest scored their first ACC win of the year yesterday, despite missing their top two quarterbacks. It was a great coaching performance by Dave Clawson and the Demon Deacons kept their bowl dreams alive with their touchdown pass with seven seconds remaining. A huge challenge awaits Wake this week against Florida State.

https://www.wtap.com/sports/betting/2023/10/26/acc-power-rankings-week-9-florida-state/ (wtap.com; Skrive)

Heading into Week 9 of the college football season, let's take a look at our freshly updated power rankings, which break down how each team in the ACC stacks up against the competition.

ACC Power Rankings

Projected records only reflect games against FBS opponents.

1. Florida State

• Current Record: 7-0 | Projected Record: 10-0
  • Odds to Win ACC: -225
  • Overall Rank: 7th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 65th
  • Last Game: W 38-20 vs Duke

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: @ Wake Forest
  • Game Time: 12:00 PM ET on Saturday, October 28
  • TV Channel:

2. Duke

• Current Record: 5-2 | Projected Record: 9-1
  • Odds to Win ACC: +1100
  • Overall Rank: 10th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 43rd
  • Last Game: L 38-20 vs Florida State

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: @ Louisville
  • Game Time: 3:30 PM ET on Saturday, October 28
  • TV Channel:

3. Clemson

• Current Record: 4-3 | Projected Record: 7-3
  • Odds to Win ACC: +20000
  • Overall Rank: 26th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 21st
  • Last Game: L 28-20 vs Miami (FL)

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: @ NC State
  • Game Time: 2:00 PM ET on Saturday, October 28
  • TV Channel:

4. North Carolina

• Current Record: 6-1 | Projected Record: 8-3
  • Odds to Win ACC: +450
  • Overall Rank: 30th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 83rd
  • Last Game: L 31-27 vs Virginia

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: @ Georgia Tech
  • Game Time: 8:00 PM ET on Saturday, October 28
  • TV Channel:

5. Louisville

• Current Record: 6-1 | Projected Record: 8-3
  • Odds to Win ACC: +750
  • Overall Rank: 35th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 73rd
  • Last Game: L 38-21 vs Pittsburgh

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: Duke
  • TV Channel:

6. Miami (FL)

• Current Record: 5-2 | Projected Record: 7-3
  • Odds to Win ACC: +2500
  • Overall Rank: 39th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 94th
  • Last Game: W 28-20 vs Clemson

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: Virginia
  • TV Channel:

7. Boston College

• Current Record: 4-3 | Projected Record: 6-5
  • Odds to Win ACC: +50000
  • Overall Rank: 56th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 56th
  • Last Game: W 38-23 vs Georgia Tech

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: UConn
  • Game Time: 12:00 PM ET on Saturday, October 28
  • TV Channel: ACCN (Watch on Fubo)

8. NC State

• Current Record: 4-3 | Projected Record: 4-7
  • Odds to Win ACC: +25000
  • Overall Rank: 57th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 23rd
  • Last Game: L 24-3 vs Duke

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: Clemson
  • Game Time: 2:00 PM ET on Saturday, October 28
  • TV Channel:

9. Virginia Tech

• Current Record: 3-4 | Projected Record: 5-7
  • Odds to Win ACC: +4000
  • Overall Rank: 64th
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 71st
  • Last Game: W 30-13 vs Wake Forest

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: Syracuse
  • Game Time: 7:30 PM ET on Thursday, October 26
  • TV Channel: ESPN (Watch on Fubo)

10. Syracuse

• Current Record: 4-3 | Projected Record: 6-5
  • Odds to Win ACC: +50000
  • Overall Rank: 72nd
  • Strength of Schedule Rank (FBS): 52nd
  • Last Game: L 41-3 vs Florida State
Rep your team with officially licensed gear! Head to Fanatics to find Syracuse jerseys, shirts, and much more.

Next Game

• Week 9 Opponent: @ Virginia Tech
  • Game Time: 7:30 PM ET on Thursday, October 26
  • TV Channel: ESPN (Watch on Fubo)

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...odds-college-football-week-9-acc/71202531007/ (C-J; Cubit)

No. 18 Louisville’s chances of making the ACC championship game improved during its bye week.

With Virginia upsetting No. 17 North Carolina and No. 4 Florida State beating No. 21 Duke, the Cardinals are now tied with the Tar Heels for second place in the league standings. Even though winning out wouldn't guarantee U of L a spot in the ACC championship game, the Cardinals will face a test Saturday when they host the Blue Devils at 3:30 p.m. in a game broadcast on ESPN.
Both teams enter the contest following a loss, but Louisville had an open week to rest up ahead of the top-25 showdown.

Here are three story lines ahead of the Week 9 ACC clash at L&N Stadium:

Rebounding from a loss

After riding the high of a 6-0 start capped by a win over Notre Dame in Year 1 under Jeff Brohm, Louisville will have a new challenge this week: rebounding from a loss.

The Cardinals’ response following their Week 7 defeat at Pitt will be telling. Duke has already shown it can rebound from a loss. After falling to Notre Dame, the Blue Devils beat N.C. State, 24-3, at home.

As Duke again looks to rebound after suffering a loss, this time it will be on the road. Unbeaten at home, the Cardinals have played better — highlighted by their commanding 33-20 win over the Fighting Irish — at L&N Stadium this season.
Who’s in, who's out for Louisville?

Louisville had three key players — running back Jawhar Jordan, offensive lineman Renato Brown and cornerback Jarvis Brownlee — injured just before or during the game at Pitt.

Information on their statuses and the nature of their injuries has not been released by the program yet. Brohm should provide updates during his news conference on Monday.

Austin Collins came in for Brown, one of the team’s most experienced lineman, while Storm Duck replaced Brownlee. Maurice Turner and Isaac Guerendo took reps coming out of the backfield in Jordan’s absence. Jordan is the team’s leading rusher with 661 yards on the ground. Turner is listed as the backup behind Jordan.

Guerendo and Turner have 207 and 159 rushing yards, respectively, while Duck has 15 tackles and a pass breakup so far this season. Collins’ pass blocking grade (81.6) was the highest of the Cardinals’ offensive linemen against Pitt. He has the fourth-best pass blocking grade on the team (80.6) so far this season in 194 snaps played.

Duke’s dominant defense

Prior to giving up a season-high 38 points to FSU, Duke’s defense was allowing only 9.8 points per game. That average went up to 13.9 following Saturday’s loss but still leads the ACC and ranks among the top 10 nationally.
The Blue Devils’ passing defense is also one of the best in the country with the group holding teams to an average of 179.4 passing yards and five touchdown throws per contest.
Louisville struggled to throw the ball against Pitt, which also possesses one of the better passing defenses in the league.
Brohm said the team needed to be more balanced after the Week 7 loss to the Panthers, which could mean more play action and running the ball against the Blue Devils. Duke is giving up 136.4 rushing yards per game and 4.1 yards per carry.
Week 9 college football rankings:See where U of L and Duke are entering ACC clash

Three Louisville players to watch

Jack Plummer, graduate quarterback: After totaling three turnovers against Pitt, Plummer looks to get back on track. He is currently averaging 271.6 passing yards per game and has had two 300-yard passing performances this season, including against the Panthers.
Maurice Turner, sophomore running back: Behind Jordan, Turner is averaging 5.1 yards per carry. He led the team’s rushing effort against Pitt with 81 yards on 12 carries for an average of 6.8 yards per tote.

Jaylin Alderman, junior linebacker: Alderman has the second-most tackles for loss on the team (4 ½) and is fourth in total tackles (31) to go along with a sack and pass breakup.

Three Duke players to watch

Riley Leonard, junior quarterback: Though his status was in question for Week 8, Leonard played against FSU but exited the game with an injury early and was held out for precautionary reasons. The dual-threat signal caller has 981 passing yards and three TDs through the air while recording 339 rushing yards and four more scores on the ground.
Tre Freeman, redshirt sophomore linebacker: Freeman leads the team in tackles (56) with 2 ½ for loss to go along with three quarterback hurries, an interception and pass breakup. He had seven tackles and a QB hurry against the Seminoles.
Al Blades, Jr., graduate cornerback: Blades has a team-leading six pass breakups, two quarterback hurries and 21 tackles so far this season. With fellow cornerback Myles Jones out, he had eight tackles against FSU.

Louisville vs. Duke odds

Louisville is a 4-point home favorite over Duke, per DraftKings.
WANNA BET? Top Kentucky sportsbooks and sports betting apps reviewed

How to watch Louisville vs. Duke football game

Who: Louisville (6-1, 3-1 ACC) vs. Duke (5-2, 2-1)
When: 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28
Where: L&N Stadium, Louisville
TV: ESPN
Radio: Paul Rogers (play-by-play) and Craig Swabek (analyst) will call the game on Louisville Radio Network (93.9 FM and 970 AM).

Other

MNA2TBTVHNGTZCKATFE3BGVQMI.jpg

The skylines of Syracuse (left), Rochester (center) and Buffalo (right). The three Upstate NY cities won a U.S. competition to be designated a regional technology and innovation hub. (Post-Standard file photos)

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/c...-as-national-tech-hub-for-computer-chips.html (PS; $; Weiner)

A region that spans Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo has won a U.S. competition to become one of 31 national tech hubs, a designation that could help unleash billions of dollars in new investment in Upstate New York.

President Joe Biden plans to announce the winning regions today, including the Upstate New York consortium, an administration official said. The selection follows a nationwide competition that attracted 378 applications from 48 states and three territories.

The three Upstate New York cities will form a national tech hub specializing in semiconductor manufacturing and research, making the region eligible for a share of up to $10 billion in federal aid to stimulate investment in new technologies.

Each of the 31 winning hubs will focus on a different technology, including artificial intelligence, quantum computing, clean energy, precision medicine and biotech.

The designation comes a year after New York beat out other states to lure Micron Technology to Syracuse’s northern suburbs, where the company plans to invest up to $100 billion over 20 years in a computer chip manufacturing campus. It would be the largest memory chip manufacturing site in the United States.

The Micron development in the town of Clay would employ up to 9,000 people and create up to 40,000 more supply-chain and related jobs.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer said the tech hub designation, coupled with Micron’s arrival, could help transform the Thruway corridor between Syracuse and Buffalo into “America’s semiconductor superhighway” that will lead innovation in the computer chip industry.

The goal of the federal program is to give an economic jolt to rust belt communities like Upstate New York and other places where economies have sputtered in recent decades.

In turn, the federal investment is expected to drive the development of new technologies that give the U.S. a competitive edge against other nations, driving economic growth and helping to train a new workforce of tech workers.

Schumer, the Senate majority leader, led the push for Congress to pass the CHIPS and Science Act, which included $52 billion in federal incentives for semiconductor manufacturers to expand in the United States.

The law also authorized spending $10 billion to create Regional Innovation and Technology Hubs.

The idea is to stimulate investment in places outside of traditional technology hubs that have been concentrated in a few places such as Silicon Valley, Boston and Austin, Texas.

Each hub will have the goal of strengthening a region’s capacity to manufacture, commercialize, and deploy technology that makes the United States more competitive in the global economy.

Schumer, D-N.Y., said he created the tech hub program with Upstate New York in mind, hoping to revive its manufacturing economy.

He said the federal designation will provide “a once-in-a-generation opportunity to write a new chapter for Upstate New York building our nation’s future.”

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainm...ncert-venues-name-sold-in-7-year-4m-deal.html (PS; Herbert)

Goodbye, St. Joseph’s Health Amphitheater at Lakeview. So long, Lakeview Amphitheater, “St. Joe’s Amp,” and a handful of other names the Syracuse concert venue has been known by.

Hello, Empower Federal Credit Union Amphitheater at Lakeview. (Or “Empower FCU Amphitheater” for short.)

Onondaga County sold the naming rights to the amphitheater in a 7-year deal worth $4 million, according to Empower Federal Credit Union Chief Marketing Officer Chris Keller. Empower FCU will pay an average of $575,000 a year to put its name on the Amp through 2030, Keller told syracuse.com | The Post-Standard.

Keller did not say how much of the money would go towards Onondaga County, which owns the waterfront venue, and how much would go towards Live Nation, which books and promotes its concerts. A rep for the county did not immediately respond to a request for comment.