Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to USMC Day!

USMC Day—or the United States Marine Corps Birthday—celebrates the creation of the Marine Corps. On November 10, 1775, the Continental Marines were created when the Second Continental Congress adopted a resolution drafted by John Adams. The first Marines were enlisted under Commandant Samuel Nicholas—viewed as the first Marine Commandant—likely at the Tun Tavern in Philadelphia. The Continental Marines were in service for the duration of the American Revolutionary War but were disbanded in 1783 following it. At a time of increasing tensions with France on the seas, the Marines were re-established on July 11, 1798, with a bill signed by then-President John Adams. The United States Marine Corps became a permanent military force under the Department of the Navy.

SU News

Pitt and Syracuse return to Yankee Stadium a century after their first meeting in the Big Apple (apnews.com)

Pittsburgh (2-7, 1-4 ACC) vs. Syracuse (4-5, 0-5), Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET (ACC Network)

Line: Pitt by 1 1/2, according to FanDuel .

Series record: Pitt leads 43-32-3.

WHAT’S AT STAKE?

The Orange need to win two of their last three to become bowl eligible for a second straight year, which could be a tough ask considering Syracuse is riding a five-game losing streak, all but one of them by at least 17 points. Pitt will miss a bowl for the first time since 2017, though a win over their longtime rival at Yankee Stadium would provide a nice moment in a season in which they have been few and far between.

KEY MATCHUP

Syracuse’s offensive line against Pitt’s blitz. The Panthers might not be having a vintage season defensively — they’re not going to finish in the top five in sacks for the first time since 2018 — but they can still get after the quarterback, particularly one as vulnerable as whomever is under center for Syracuse, be it Garrett Shrader or Carlos Del Rio-Wilson. The Orange have given up 18 sacks in five ACC games, tied for second-most in the league behind Wake Forest (30).

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Syracuse: RB LeQuint Allen Jr. The Orange are last or nearly last in every major statistical offensive category in the ACC. Allen has been the lone bright spot. Allen ran for a career-high 142 yards in last week’s loss to Boston College and with the passing game essentially non-existent, whether Syracuse can move the ball could depend largely on whatever Allen might be able to provide.

Pitt: QB Christian Veilleux ... or QB Nate Yarnell. While Veilleux has shown flashes since being elevated to starter in early October, he has also struggled with accuracy, completing just 50 percent (81 of 162) of his passes, possibly creating an opportunity for Yarnell, a redshirt sophomore, to get a few snaps. With the Panthers playing out the string, Pitt could opt to see what Yarnell has before deciding what it might need at the QB position in 2024.

FACTS & FIGURES

Pitt-Syracuse preview: Panthers look for 1st win away from home at Yankee Stadium (P0G; Hiles)

There aren’t many teams that can relate to the levels of struggle Pat Narduzzi’s Pitt team has experienced this season. Syracuse, however, might be one of the few.

After starting the season 4-0, Dino Babers’ squad has dropped five straight, all of which came in ACC play. Sitting just above the Orange (4-5, 0-5) in the ACC league standings are the Panthers (2-7, 1-4), who were handed their third straight loss last weekend at home against No. 4 Florida State.

Both Pitt and Syracuse enter their battle Saturday hungry for a win. The contest is set to kick off at 3:30 p.m. and will be televised on the ACC Network. Here is a closer look at the matchup:

Top storyline

While neither Pitt nor Syracuse has been able to generate notable excitement this fall, their matchup has received an extra boost because of its location. Rather than playing Saturday’s game in Syracuse, N.Y., the Panthers and Orange will face off on a neutral field at Yankee Stadium.

The decision to play at Yankee Stadium was made to honor the 100th anniversary of the first-ever college football game played at the home of the Bronx Bombers. That matchup, which took place on Oct. 20, 1923, resulted in a 3-0 Syracuse win over Pitt.

Saturday marks the fourth time Pitt will have played at Yankee Stadium. The other two previous matchups include a 7-6 win over Army in 1962 and a 31-24 loss to Northwestern in the 2016 Pinstripe Bowl.

Syracuse is a bit more familiar with playing in the Bronx. The Orange hold an overall record of 7-3 at Yankee Stadium. However, they enter Saturday on a two-game losing streak, including a loss last December to Minnesota in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Key players

Bub Means
: No player seems to have benefited more from Pitt’s change at quarterback than Means. In Pitt’s first five games, when Phil Jurkovec was the team’s starter under center, Means caught just seven passes for 146 yards and a touchdown.

However, with Veilleux running the offense, Means is much more involved. In the past four games, Means has caught 23 passes for 341 yards and three touchdowns. His average of 85.3 receiving yards per game with Veilleux at quarterback would be third-best in the ACC.

(youtube; video; Panther-Lair.com)

Pat Narduzzi held his final press briefing of the week on Thursday and talked about facing Syracuse, playing in Yankee Stadium and a lot more. Here's video of his remarks.

Syracuse Football: Why I still believe the Orange can beat Pittsburgh (itlh; Fiello)

I’ve read the social media posts and comments on my open letter post on Syracuse football. I’ve read the blog posts and articles including from my own Inside The Loud House brother, Neil Adler. I know there is frustration over losing. But I’m not ready to give up yet. I still believe this team can win.

Let me explain please if you’ve had the patience to read this far.

Firstly, Ohana means family and when my family is struggling, I can’t just turn my back on them. I will support them until it’s over and hope for the best. There are three games left and I am not one who assumes that just because there are struggles now that things can’t be resolved.

Second, I believe Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers and his staff are honorable and decent people who care immensely and are trying to fix the situation. I believe based on what I’ve seen that the players have not given up and therefore I won’t give up on them.

Why I still believe Syracuse football can beat Pittsburgh.

I have met Coach Babers not once but twice and he was as great and personable as I could imagine. I watch his press conferences and interviews regularly and am never embarrassed by what he says or how he treats the media and his players. In fact, I’m a huge fan of his demeanor on the sideline and the love I see towards his players and staff.

Syracuse football: what to watch for vs Pittsburgh (TNIAAM; Staff)

The Syracuse Orange (4-5, 0-5) and Pittsburgh Panthers (2-7, 1-4) take to the diamond on Saturday afternoon for a game that only Sickos can love.

We’ve partnered with @HomefieldApparl for the weekly Sickos Shirt Showdown!

For Week 11, we head to YANKEE STADIUM.

PITT SYRACUSE

Use the code COMMITTEE for 25% these shirts!! Code works even if you’ve bought from Homefield before!

Link below ⬇️ Sickos Shirt Showdown pic.twitter.com/kuByoRswXC
— Sickos Committee (@SickosCommittee) November 7, 2023

Here’s what we’re watching for:

Kevin: Something new

It could be a new offensive wrinkle, a trick play, or maybe Dino Babers will fight his natural instinct and not put an injured player under center. The way Carlos Del-Rio Wilson looked at the end of Friday’s game doesn’t make me comfortable seeing him back under center on a lousy field behind a weak offensive line. It might not be pretty with Braden Davis or Luke MacPhail taking snaps, but it’s better than watching an injured player thrown to the Panthers.

Dom: Win the possession battle

It’s easier said than done considering Syracuse held the ball for less than half the time Boston College did last week, but part of the reason the Orange stayed close throughout was on the turnover front. It not only kept BC within range but cut promising drives for opponents short. Obviously, the offense failing to execute when it had great field position of its own is equally as much as a concern, which means that (yet again) the defense is going to need to shoulder the burden.

Mike: A LeQuint Allen Career Game

If there’s one player on the entire team who’s still as locked in as he was in Week 1, it’s LeQuint. Other players such as Dan Villari pointed out that while the Orange were just “going through the motions” early in the week, it was Allen who stepped up and reminded them all of what the situation really is and how they can still overcome recent frustrations. It’s also a special week for #1: he’ll be playing in front of family in the Bronx, where he previously had a great Pinstripe Bowl performance. All of Orange Nation would love if after everything that’s happened, Allen ends up being the spark they all needed.

1923_Syracuse_versus_Pitt_Game_Day_Football_Program_1.jpg

MTA Announces Extra Service on Metro-North to Get Fans to Pitt-Syracuse Centennial Football Game at Yankee Stadium (mta.info)

Additional Trains to the Game Will Run Before and After Games on Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines

Long Islanders Can Also Get to the Game by Train by Using the Combo Ticket: A One-Ticket Trip on the LIRR and Metro-North With a Connection at Grand Central Madison

Fans Can Also Reach the Game via Subway, Bus and Paratransit

See Game Program from Pitt-Syracuse Oct. 1923 Game

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) announced that Metro-North Railroad is adding extra trains on the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Line to help fans get to Yankee Stadium this Saturday, Nov. 11, as Syracuse University and the University of Pittsburgh celebrate the centennial of the first football game played at Yankee Stadium when they meet at 3:30 p.m. The 1923 meeting between the two teams laid the groundwork for a long history of football at Yankee Stadium, and Metro-North is the perfect worry-free way to travel to this exciting game.

“Metro-North is thrilled to be part of history by doing what we do best – get people to the biggest, most exciting events in the area,” said Metro-North Railroad President Catherine Rinaldi. “The fastest and safest way to be a part of the fun is to take public transportation and with direct service options to Yankee Stadium from the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines, Metro-North remains an attractive option for football fans around the region to get to the game.”

“With a large crowd expected for the game, the LIRR to Grand Central Madison gives fans from Long Island easy access to Metro-North’s extra Yankee Stadium service,” said Long Island Rail Road Acting President Rob Free. “Riders can buy a combo ticket to Yankee Stadium, board a train at any LIRR station and make a seamless transfer at Grand Central to Metro-North or the subway.”

"This game is 100 years in the making and will celebrate a milestone anniversary in an iconic venue. It continues a longstanding partnership with the Yankees organization, and we are grateful to the Steinbrenner family, Randy Levine, Mark Holtzman and the entire Yankees organization for the opportunity,” said Syracuse University Director of Athletics John Wildhack. “Playing in the media capital of the world and historic Yankee Stadium is an experience our team and staff will cherish.”

“Pitt’s trip to New York City to play Syracuse in Yankee Stadium has been highly anticipated by our players, coaches and fans since it was first announced nearly a year ago,” said University of Pittsburgh Executive Associate Athletic Director/Communications E.J. Borghetti. “Pitt fans always travel well to New York, whether it’s football or basketball season, and we expect the same for this game. The Panthers and Orange have a historic rivalry and this Saturday’s game will add another colorful chapter.”

Metro-North’s Yankees-E 153 St station is a short walk to Yankee Stadium and provides convenient access to the game. It is fully accessible in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

In addition to regularly scheduled trains that stop at Yankees-E 153 St station, Metro-North will operate an extra train from Poughkeepsie and the Upper Hudson Line stations, and six Hudson Line trains will make extra stops at the stadium to accommodate fans.

Direct “Train to the Game” service will also operate from the Harlem and New Haven lines to the stadium:

• On the Harlem Line, a special Train to the Game departs Southeast at 12:57 p.m., stops at Brewster, Golden’s Bridge, Katonah, Mount Kisco, Chappaqua, Pleasantville, Hawthorne, North White Plains, White Plains, Hartsdale, Scarsdale, Crestwood and Bronxville, then runs express to the stadium, where it arrives at 2:25 p.m.
  • On the New Haven Line, there are special Trains to The Game from both New Haven and Stamford:
    • The New Haven train departs at 12:31 p.m., stops at all stations between West Haven and Stamford, then runs express to the stadium, where it arrives at 2:30 p.m.
    • The Stamford train departs at 1:43 p.m., stops at all stations between Old Greenwich and Mount Vernon East, then runs express to the stadium, where it arrives at 2:42 p.m.
Shuttle trains will operate between Grand Central Terminal (GCT), Harlem-125 St and Yankees-E 153 St stations, providing connections from Harlem and New Haven Line trains at Harlem-125 St station to the stadium.

Fans from Long Island can board trains at any station and purchase a combo ticket to the Yankees-E 153 St stop or if taking the subway can get off the train at Grand Central Madison and take the train to Yankee Stadium.

After the game, there will be extra trains to take fans home on all three lines, including direct trains to stations on the Harlem and New Haven lines. Several Hudson Line trains will make extra stops at the stadium to board fans, and Shuttle trains will operate from the stadium to Harlem-125 St and Grand Central. Fans may transfer to regularly scheduled Harlem and New Haven Line trains at Harlem-125 St station.

Yankee Stadium is also served by the train, and the Bx6 SBS and Bx13 bus routes. The Bx1, Bx2 and BxM4 stop nearby on the Grand Concourse, just a short walk from the stadium.

Syracuse football vs. Pitt predictions: See our picks (PS; $; Staff)

The Syracuse football team will face Pittsburgh at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx (TV: ACC Network).

It’s time for our predictions. The panel includes Brent Axe, sports columnist; Emily Leiker, SU football reporter; Chris Carlson, sports enterprise reporter; and Nate Mink, managing producer for sports.

BRENT AXE

Pittsburgh 14, Syracuse 10
Will Syracuse cover? No

Pitt has nothing left but pride to play for while Syracuse needs to find some pride mired in a five-game losing streak and a season going off the rails despite bowl eligibility still technically a carrot at the end of the stick.

This game matches up two offenses that combined to score 17 points last week and are ranked 92nd (Syracuse) and 115th (Pitt) in the country. The Yankees could come close to scoring that number alone on any given night in the Bronx.

A pick-six or special teams play could make a huge difference for either team in this game with both offenses striking out so much.

CHRIS CARLSON

Pittsburgh 13, Syracuse 10
Will Syracuse cover? Yes

While the decision to play this game at Yankee Stadium has been largely criticized, it seems the school’s athletic administrators deserve some credit.

The money made from selling the home game could be used to pay Dino Babers’ buyout. It could be used to help the next coach build out the best staff possible.

As a bonus, you’re under no obligation to attend a game that will make Iowa’s offense look explosive.

EMILY LEIKER

Pittsburgh 16, Syracuse 13
Will Syracuse cover? Yes

Syracuse football roster update: An ACC transfer and a top 2022 recruit have left the team (PS; $; Leiker)

At least five players have left the Syracuse football program since late July.

Defensive back Bralyn Oliver, defensive lineman Francois Nolton Jr., defensive back Jakobie Seabourn and walk-on punter Ian Hawkins have all been recently removed from the Orange’s online roster.

An SU team spokesman told syracuse.com Thursday that all four departed the program at various points since July. He did not have further comment on their departures.

The fifth player, punter James Williams, left the program prior to the official 2023 roster releasing around the time of ACC Kickoff.

None of the five have been significant contributors in either of the past two seasons.

Oliver’s status has been a mystery all season. He’d appeared off-and-on in 2022 for the Orange, playing in nine games as a defensive backup and on special teams. He had five tackles.

On Sept. 11, Syracuse coach Dino Babers said Oliver’s lack of playing time this year was not due to an injury.

Oliver had originally enrolled at Louisville ahead of the 2021 season but transferred to Syracuse before the year started. He did not play a snap for the Orange that season.

Oliver posted about SU’s new name, image and likeness collective, Orange United, on Monday.

ACC News

ACC Week 10 power rankings: Signs of life at Clemson, Syracuse's slide continues (theathletic.com $; Raynor & Navarro)

Welcome to The Athletic’s ACC power rankings. Each week, Manny Navarro and Grace Raynor take turns drafting teams based on how they performed the previous week (and all season). Manny has the first pick this week; Grace will take it next week.

1. Florida State (previously No. 1): It looks like Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson will be back in the lineup this week, which means the fourth-ranked Seminoles should be ready to roll against the Hurricanes. With Miami struggling on offense, the 14.5-point spread might not be enough. — Navarro

2. Louisville (2): Louisville stomped Virginia Tech by 31 points last week and got the job done (barely) against Virginia on Thursday. The Cardinals continue their march toward the ACC Championship Game and have been one of the brightest surprises in all of college football this season. — Raynor

Up 2 this week in the @CFBPlayoff rankings!#GoCards pic.twitter.com/zlCY38mhuQ
— Louisville Football (@LouisvilleFB) November 8, 2023

3. North Carolina (4): Mack Brown’s track record once the calendar reaches November hasn’t exactly been good since his return to Chapel Hill. The Tar Heels went 2-4 last year down the backstretch and 2-3 in 2021, and they are 12-11 overall post-October when you count last week’s breezy win against Campbell. Maybe UNC takes a step forward this year, finishes strong against Duke, Clemson and NC State and completes a rare 10-win season before Drake Maye heads to the NFL. Or maybe the Tar Heels will head into the offseason scratching their heads yet again. — Navarro

4. Duke (7): The Blue Devils got back on track last week with a win against Wake Forest after dropping the previous two games to Louisville and Florida State. And they did it with their third-string quarterback, true freshman Grayson Loftis. It’s a bummer we won’t get to see Maye and usual starter Riley Leonard go at it in Chapel Hill this weekend as Leonard continues to deal with a toe injury. But Loftis gave Duke just enough a week ago. Can he re-create that same magic this week? — Raynor

5. NC State (6): It’s not often a healthy starting quarterback like MJ Morris goes 3-1, beats Clemson and Miami in back-to-back weeks and decides he’s going to sit out the rest of the season to preserve his redshirt. But that’s where we are today in college football. The good news for Dave Doeren is the Wolfpack are already bowl-eligible and he has an experienced arm in Brennan Armstrong to turn to for the final stretch. Plus, road games at Wake Forest and Virginia Tech in the next two weeks aren’t exactly the toughest of tests. — Navarro

NC State coach Dave Doeren’s opening statement on QB MJ Morris redshirting the rest of the season: pic.twitter.com/Pl4OXkhBXY
— Noah Fleischman (@fleischman_noah) November 9, 2023

6. Miami (3): I’d be inclined to put Clemson here at No. 6, but the Tigers lost to Miami just a few weeks ago, and that has to count for something. The Hurricanes have been a little all over the place as of late, with the big-time win against Clemson on Oct. 21, followed by another overtime win against Virginia on Oct. 28 and a loss to NC State last week. With upcoming dates with Florida State and Louisville, it doesn’t get easier for Mario Cristobal. — Raynor

7. Clemson (9): Tyler from Spartanburg probably deserves to get put on staff as the de facto get-back coach — as in get back … to winning, Dabo! Seriously, can you imagine how Tyler must be walking around South Carolina this week? “Did you see?! I told him he was overpaid, and the Tigers beat Notre Dame! All me, baby!” — Navarro

8. Boston College (8): The Eagles have a better record than Clemson, but it stands to reason that the Tigers would beat Boston College if the teams played this year. (Especially the version of Clemson that just beat Notre Dame.) Still, Jeff Hafley’s team has been better than expected with a 6-3 record and a — checks notes — five-game winning streak (!). There’s no reason it can’t be extended to six this week against Virginia Tech at home. — Raynor

From 1-3 to going bowling in five games.
Not done yet pic.twitter.com/et5mm3iEVe
— Boston College Football (@BCFootball) November 4, 2023

9. Georgia Tech (10): Brent Key’s team has already eclipsed its preseason win total (4.5), but becoming bowl-eligible will be something of a challenge if the Jackets can’t win on the road this week at Clemson or beat Syracuse at home the following weekend. Kudos, though, to quarterback Haynes King for what’s been a nice turnaround story the past few weeks. — Navarro

10. Virginia Tech (5): The Hokies haven’t won a game on the road this season, and it won’t get any easier this week at Boston College. With a top-25 defense nationally, Virginia Tech should be better than its 4-5 record, but the offense is averaging just 5.26 yards per play — 10th in the ACC and 90th nationally. Bowl eligibility is still on the table but will require two wins in three games against Boston College, NC State and Virginia. Not necessarily a slam dunk. — Raynor

11. Wake Forest (13):Dave Clawson’s team played valiantly in a tough loss at Duke last week and, at 4-5, still has a shot to keep its bowl streak alive. But beating NC State at home this week is the key, with road trips to Notre Dame and Syracuse left on the schedule after that. I’m not so worried about winning at Syracuse. But you can’t beat the Orange twice. It only counts for one win. The good news: Wake has lost only once at home to NC State in the past two decades (2015). — Navarro

12. Virginia (11): The Cavs might not have much to show for it in the win column — they dropped to 2-8 with a hard-fought loss at Louisville on Thursday night — but this team has made significant strides in the latter half of the 2023 season. Credit Tony Elliott and his staff for keeping everyone in the program engaged after a very tough start — Raynor

13. Syracuse (12): Syracuse is on a five-game losing streak and still hasn’t won a conference game. That could change this week against Pittsburgh, but the Orange have to get something done on offense after averaging only 8.8 points per game during the losing streak. Is Dino Babers coaching for his job these next three weeks? — Navarro

14. Pittsburgh (14): It’s just been one of those years for Pitt. Nothing has gone right, and there’s not much else to play for. Even if the Panthers win out, they will still finish the season with a losing record for the first time since 2017. — Raynor

Florida State vs. Pitt Full Game Replay | 2023 ACC Football (youtube; video; ACC DN)

The #4 Seminoles improved to 9-0 on the season after going on the road and defeating Pitt, 24-7. Florida State secured a spot in the ACC Championship game with the win. The FSU defense forced three turnovers, including Fentrell Cypress II punching out the ball at the one-yard line to turn a Pitt touchdown into a Florida State touch back. Quarterback Jordan Travis threw for 360 yards on 22 of 36 passing with both a passing and rushing touchdown. With both their top wideouts out for the game, wide receiver Ja'Khi Douglass stepped up and caught six passes for 115 yards, both career highs. Running back Trey Benson ran for 97 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries.

Kelly Gramlich and Eric Mac Lain talk ACC football - Gramlich and Mac Lain (M&G; podcast; M&G)

Episode 344: Week 11 Preview - FSU/Miami, UNC/Duke, Clem/GT
10th November 2023 • Gramlich and Mac Lain • Kelly Gramlich

Virginia vs. Louisville Game Highlights | 2023 ACC Football (youtibe.com; video; ACC DN)

Louisville rode a fourth-quarter comeback to pick up the home victory over Virginia, 31-24. Cardinals QB Jack Plummer went 19-28 passing with 243 yards and 2 touchdowns in the win, and Jawhar Jordan had 95 rushing yards on 17 attempts. Isaac Guerendo picked up 94 yards on the ground, 73 of which came on the game-winning score. For Virginia, QB Anthony Colandrea had 403 total yards in a strong effort vs. Louisville’s defense. Malik Washington finished with 155 yards receiving and an offensive scoop and score touchdown.

BOZICH | Louisville outlasts Virginia, 31-24, inching closer to ACC title game (wdrb.com; Bozich)

What Louisville did not want was for the Virginia game to become another Pittsburgh — an inexplicable loss in a game the universe expected the Cardinals to win.

Exhale.

Upset avoided.

Louisville 31, Virginia 24, a 7-point victory as difficult as any 7-point victory can be.

"Of all our victories, I'm probably proudest of our team for this one more than any of them," U of L coach Jeff Brohm said.

For a team now 9-1 overall and 6-1 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, it was baffling. It won’t score any style points with the skeptics. It was stained by too many penalties, a fumble, a missed field goal and dropped passes.

Virginia intercepted a Jack Plummer pass and returned it for a touchdown. A group of U of L fans actually booed. A chunk of the 44,628 fans left before the game ended. Dabo Swinney would call that fan behavior entitled.

"It wasn't pretty by any means," Plummer said.

Down 21-14 as the fourth quarter began, Louisville rallied with 17 points for the victory. Plummer found a surging Ahmari Huggins-Bruce with a perfect 52-yard touchdown pass.

Isaac Guerendo delivered the winning touchdown, flashing through a modest hole on the right side. He covered 73 yards in 12 dazzling seconds.

"I think that's the sign of a good team to be able to win when things aren't going your way," Plummer said. "Just gut it out and find a way to win. I think that's another step for us."

Truth is the result isn’t even the most significant development of the evening. Not after Virginia halfback Perris Jones left L&N Cardinal Stadium on a stretcher bound for University Hospital with less than a minute to play in the third quarter.

Jones went down and stayed down, lying motionless and seemingly unconscious on the turf after he lowered his head and collided with U of L safety Cam’Ron Kelly, a friend who practiced with Virginia last spring before he transferred to Louisville.

After catching a soft pass in the right flat and then turning downfield, Jones fumbled upon the collision. His teammate, Malik Washington scooped the ball and raced 42 yards for a touchdown.

That gave Virginia 21 straight points in the third quarter and a 21-14 lead. But trainers and doctors from both teams raced on the field to attend to Jones before Washington reached the goal line. This was more than a harsh, nasty hit.

Thursday Result 2023 Nov 9 (RX; HM)

Thursday Result 2023 Nov 9

Virginia 24

Louisville 31

Who would've thought this would be a one-score game in which the Cavaliers led 24-17 with less than 8 minutes remaining in the game? From the ACC Digital Network...

2023 Virginia vs. Louisville

ACC Football Game Highlights

Virginia vs. Louisville Game Highlights | 2023 ACC Football

ACCDN: Louisville rode a fourth-quarter comeback to pick up the home victory over Virginia, 31-24. Cardinals QB Jack Plummer went 19-28 passing with 243 yards and 2 touchdowns in the win, and Jawhar Jordan had 95 rushing yards on 17 attempts. Isaac Guerendo picked up 94 yards on the ground, 73 of which came on the game-winning score. For Virginia, QB Anthony Colandrea had 403 total yards in a strong effort vs. Louisville’s defense. Malik Washington finished with 155 yards receiving and an offensive scoop and score touchdown.

Preview 2023 Week 11 (RX; HM)

Preview 2023 Week 11
From the ACC's Weekly Football Release...

Welcome to mini Rivalry Week in the ACC!

Georgia Tech at Clemson, Sat. Nov. 11, Noon on ABC

Georgia Tech leads series, 51-35-2; Last meeting: Clemson, 41-10 (2022)
Head Coaches:
Georgia Tech: Brent Key (9-8 in first full season at GT; 9-8 in first full season overall)
Clemson: Dabo Swinney (166-43 in 16th season at CU; 166-43 in 16th season overall)
Notes:
• GT and Clemson are both playing for their sixth win of the season and bowl eligibility this week in Death Valley. A win for Clemson would make the Tigers bowl eligible for the 25th straight year, while the Yellow Jackets would be bowl eligible for the first time since 2018.
• GT enters the contest having won two consecutive games for the first time since posting back-to-back wins over Pitt (Oct. 1) and Duke (Oct. 8) of last year in head coach Brent Key’s first two games as interim coach.
• Clemson has won each of the last eight meetings versus the Yellow Jackets and is coming off a 31-23 win at home over No. 12 Notre Dame last week.
• Georgia Tech’s offense has amassed 1,149 total yards of offense combined over its last two games and has totaled over 500 yards or more in consecutive games for the first time since 2018.
• The Clemson defense shut down the Notre Dame offense last week, led by linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr., who recorded a game-high 11 tackles, 2.5 tackles-for-loss, 2.0 sacks, and an interception, which he returned 28 yards for a touchdown in the win.

NC State at Wake Forest, Sat at 2 p.m. on The CW

NC State leads series, 68-42-6; Last meeting: NC State, 30-21 (2022)
Head Coaches:
NC State: Dave Doeren (78-57 11th season at NCSU ; 101-61 in 13th season overall)
Wake Forest: Dave Clawson (63-58 in 10th season at WF; 153-138 in 24th season overall)
Notes:
• NC State has faced Wake Forest more times than any other opponent in its 132 years of football. Saturday’s game will mark the 117th meeting between the two squads, with NC State holding a 68-42-6 advantage. The teams have met every season since 1910, making it the longest continuous rivalry in the ACC and the second longest in the FBS (Wisconsin-Minnesota have met every year since 1906).
• Since 2001, the home team in the series has posted a 9-2 mark versus the road team.
• The Wolfpack have won two straight games and are coming off a 20-6 home win over Miami to give them six wins on the year and make them bowl eligible.
• Wake Forest has lost two straight games and is looking to finish the season strong with three games remaining on the schedule.
• The Demon Deacons need two more wins to extend its consecutive bowl game appearance streak to eight straight games. Their current streak of seven consecutive bowl game appearances is second in the ACC.

Pitt vs Syracuse (Bronx, NY), Sat at 3:30 p.m. on ACCN

Pitt leads series, 43-32-3; Last meeting: Pitt, 19-9 (2022)
Head Coaches:
Pitt: Pat Narduzzi (65-48 in ninth season at Pitt; 64-48 in ninth season overall)
Syracuse: Dino Babers (40-54 in eighth season at Syracuse; 77-70 in 12th season overall)
Notes:
• Pitt and Syracuse will meet in Yankee Stadium this Saturday to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first college football contest played in the historic venue. The Panthers and Orange squared off in the original Yankee Stadium on Oct. 20, 1923. Syracuse won that contest, 3-0.
• Pitt and Syracuse have played every year since 1955. The annual series will continue as a “protected matchup” in the ACC’s new scheduling model set to begin in 2024.
• Pitt is 2-7 this season overall and 1-4 in ACC play. Syracuse is 4-5 overall and 0-5 in the ACC.
• Each team is looking to snap a multi-game losing streak, as the Panthers have lost three straight games, while the Orange have dropped five straight after starting the year at 4-0.
• The Panthers’ defense ranks 11th nationally in tacklesfor-loss (7.4 per game) and 21st in sacks (2.78 per game).
• Syracuse’s running back LeQuint Allen Jr. has four 100-plus yards rushing performances this season, which ranks third in the ACC.

Big CFP Meeting today - 2023 Nov 9 (RX; HM)

Big CFP Meeting today - 2023 Nov 9

From the Yahoo! Sports article "Change is coming to the College Football Playoff"...

College football's power brokers meet today Dallas. Expect things to change! For one thing, they need to replace CFP Executive Director Bill Hancock, who is retiring. They also plan to expand the playoff field from four to 12 teams, sign a revised TV contract for 2024 and 2025, obtain a new, long-term TV contract, and determine how the new revenue will be shared... will it all get done today? Highly unlikely! But they will start talking about all of these things in earnest.

Just a few highlights from the Yahoo! article:

The CFP is expected to select a new director by the end of this week.

The 12-team playoff format is expected to remain “6+6” (i.e. top six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the next six highest-ranked at-large teams) for the next two seasons. What happens after that is not yet determined, but it seems likely that "5+7" is coming now that the Pac-12 is gone. Look for G5 commissioners to push for one more than the number of power conference champs so that their teams can participate in the new expanded playoffs, too.

Regarding revenue sharing: the CFP currently awards about 80% of the revenue to the P5 on a conference-by-conference basis, with the G5 leagues getting the other 20% (a small fraction also goes to FBS independents and the FCS). However, instead of each conference receiving the same amount regardless of size (a huge benefit to the Big XII in the past), look for the new deal to be based on number of teams. There may also be some discussion of what to do about Oregon State, Washington State, as well as recent call-ups BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and SMU.

Other

BSTEQ7LYERF2BBHINDP4YNVH6A.jpg

The meatball bake appetizer with melted cheese, 50/50 sauce, housemade meatballs and whipped ricotta. Dinner at Pastabilities, Syracuse, N.Y. (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)

Pastabilities in Armory Square: Familiar classics and new twists at one of Syracuse’s most popular spots (Dining Out Review) (PS; $; Paventi)

Pastabilities’ hot tomato oil just hits your palate differently when you’re sitting at the restaurant.

The tomato tastes richer, after swirling a chunk of the restaurant’s trademark stretch Italian bread through it. The garlic is bolder and the pepper sharper as it hits your taste buds. Nothing against the shelf-stable product available in local grocery stores and for order online, as it’s perfectly suitable in a pinch, but it’s just better when you’re there.

And good luck getting there, as our recent Saturday evening visit saw a steady stream of diners turned away for not getting on the waitlist or snagging one of the coveted reservations made available 90 days in advance. We called at 4:30 p.m. to get on the waitlist and still had more than an hour wait at that point.

Such is the journey one must embark upon when trying to dine at the legendary Armory Square pasta house, which celebrates its 40th anniversary in 2023. This is the part of the review where I’m supposed to summarize the history and details of a restaurant, but that story has been written so many times. If there is a fascination with Pastabilities, it’s how the restaurant has sustained its position as a highly-coveted, trendsetting spot after all this time.

76A57GM6NJGCPE73ELQKYH2A4Q.jpg

Hozier performs onstage during An Evening with Hozier at GRAMMY Museum L.A. Live on October 30, 2023 in Los Angeles, California.Photo by Rodin Eckenroth/Getty Images

Hozier to play Syracuse for first time at Empower FCU Amphitheater (PS; Herbert)

Hozier, one of today’s hottest singer-songwriters, is coming to Syracuse for the first time.

Hozier will perform at the Empower Federal Credit Union Amphitheater at Lakeview on May 21, 2024, as part of his “Unreal Unearth” tour dates. Special guest Allison Russell will open the concert at 8 p.m.

Tickets go on sale Friday, Nov. 17, at 12 p.m. through Live Nation. Prices may vary.

Hozier, whose full name is Andrew John Hozier-Byrne, is an Irish musician who mixes folk-rock with blues and soul. He’s best known for the Grammy-nominated 2013 hit, “Take Me to Church,” and recently released his third album, “Unreal Unearth,” featuring the single “Eat Your Young.”

He averages more than 28 million monthly listeners on Spotify. For some perspective: Fellow singer-songwriter Noah Kahan, who drew a sold-out crowd of 18,000 fans to the Syracuse amphitheater this past summer, averages less than 21 million.