Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
dog-peanut.gif

Welcome to National Peanut Butter Day!

Today we celebrate peanut butter, a food that is a blend of ground shelled peanuts, vegetable oil (usually hydrogenated), and a little bit of salt. Additives are often added to keep the oil from separating, and to make the peanut butter creamier; sugar is often added as well. However, natural peanut butter only contains peanuts and an oil—often peanut oil. Natural peanut butter must be refrigerated after opening and can last about six months; other peanut butter does not need to be refrigerated and also can last about six months. Peanut butter is sold smooth or chunky, smooth being the most popular type. A lot of peanuts are used to make one jar of peanut butter—about 850 peanuts for an 18-ounce jar! The reduced-fat version only has 60% of the peanuts as the regular, which are replaced with maltodextrin and soy protein. The calorie count is the same, but there is just less fat. Besides being high in fat, peanut butter contains a decent amount of iron, niacin, and protein. Peanut butter is so popular that more than half of all peanuts end up being used to make it.

Peanut butter was developed in 1890 by a St. Louis physician, as a protein substitute for those with poor teeth. George A. Bayle Jr. mechanized the creation and began selling it. In 1903, a patent was given to Ambrose W. Straub for a peanut butter machine. At the 1904 St. Louis World Fair, also known as the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, peanut butter was promoted as a health food. In 1922, L. Rosefield of Rosefield Packing Co. in Alameda, California, found a way to prevent the separation and spoilage of peanut butter. He began marketing his creation as Skippy in 1932. Sliced bread was invented in 1928. It was around the early 1930s when peanut butter became a favorite sandwich spread, especially with children, and began being paired with grape jelly to make peanut butter and jelly—or PB&J—sandwiches.

SU News

Syracuse football finalizes non-conference schedule with trip to West Coast (PS; $; Carlson)

The Syracuse football team will finalize its 2024 non-conference schedule with a trip to UNLV.

The Orange will visit Allegiant Stadium, the host of the Los Angeles Raiders and this year’s Super Bowl, on Saturday, Oct. 5.

The matchup was first reported by The Action Network’s Brett McMuphy.

The game replaces Syracuse’s game at Army, which was cancelled after Army joined the American Athletic Conference this offseason and had to move a number of games that it had scheduled as an independent.

Syracuse football sports information director Tyler Cady said there has been no discussion of a series beyond the single game, which was needed as a late replacement.

Both Syracuse and UNLV had games against Army that were cancelled.

UNLV adds home game w/Syracuse this fall, source told @ActionNetworkHQ. Rebels had opening on 2024 schedule after Army canceled its game w/UNLV (& home/home series) when the Black Knights joined the AAC
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) January 23, 2024

In addition to playing at UNLV, Syracuse is currently scheduled to host Ohio and Holy Cross, as well as visit Connecticut next season.

The ease of the Orange’s non-conference schedule, combined with avoiding Florida State and Clemson in league play, has Syracuse fans and players optimistic that the team is primed for a big season.

Syracuse football will play 2 weeknight ACC games in 2024 (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football will play two weeknight games around a month apart in the 2024 season.

The Orange will host new ACC member Stanford on Friday, Sept. 20. It will travel to annual opponent Pittsburgh on Thursday, Oct. 24.

The dates were revealed on ACC PM on ACC Network on Tuesday afternoon. A total 14 games involving ACC teams will be played on a Thursday or Friday this fall, with eight of those games being conference matchups.

On Monday, the ACC revealed its full Week 1 slate. The Orange hosts Ohio on Aug. 31 for its first game of the Fran Brown era.

The conference will release the remainders of the schedules Wednesday afternoon. Game times will be announced closer to dates of play.

Stanford is one of three new additions to the ACC this season after conference realignment essentially dissolved the Pac-12 last summer.

The game will feature the return of ex-Syracuse quarterback Justin Lamson to the Salt City. Lamson split quarterbacking duties last season for Stanford after two seasons of not playing for the Orange due to redshirting and an injury.

SU will continue to play Pittsburgh annually even after the conference was forced to adjust its scheduling model again due to the expansion. The Orange and Panthers have met every year since 1955.

Syracuse football offers country’s No. 1 offensive tackle in class of 2025 (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football’s hat is in the ring for the No. 1 offensive tackle in the class of 2025.

David Sanders Jr. announced his offer from the Orange on Tuesday on social media. He’s a five-star out of North Carolina who’s not only the top player at his position in his class, but the No. 2 player overall nationally.

LSU quarterback commit Bryce Underwood out of Michigan is considered the nation’s top 2025 recruit.

Syracuse is Sanders’ 35th offer. His offer list includes 2024 College Football Playoffs contenders Michigan, Alabama and Texas among other prominent programs. Eleven ACC schools besides SU have offered him.

Sanders (6-foot-6, 270 pounds) plays for Providence Day School in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Chargers went 12-1 in 2023, winning the North Carolina Division I state title.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...-loves-direction-syracuse-football-fran-brown (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse head coach Fran Brown identified Braswell Thomas as a priority target back when he was at Georgia. Thomas is a 6-2, 185 pound wide receiver out of Lower Cape May Regional in New Jersey. When Brown took over the Orange, he quickly extended an offer to Thomas.

Over the weekend, Thomas was one of several recruits on campus getting a closer look at the program.

"I love the way coach Fran is doing his thing out there, man," Thomas said. "His own thing. I love the culture. The new tone coach Fran has set and how special they could be within the next years. Very, very amazing group of coaches. All great people and very well experienced as well."

During the recruiting process, Thomas and coach Brown have developed a bond.

"I've known this guy for like a year now and he continues to be the realest guy I know," Thomas said. "Everything's real and from the heart. He will never BS you."

Beyond spending time with the coaches, Thomas attended Syracuse basketball's 72-69 thrilling win over Miami on Saturday in the JMA Wireless Dome.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...on-looking-forward-to-syracuse-official-visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football extended a preferred walk-on (PWO) offer to 2024 kicker Liam Padron out of Bartram Trail High School in Florida recently. Padron went 12-16 on field goals with a long of 53 during his senior season.

"I've known coach Vollono for a while since he was at Troy," Padron said. "So he reached out when he took the job at Syracuse. He thinks I could be a good addition to the special teams room. I was excited to get an offer from a power five and ACC program. For a kicker, playing in a dome is nice too."

Padron is looking to take an official visit to Syracuse the weekend of February 2nd. When he does, he knows what he will be looking to see.

"Just the overall feel for the program and meeting the rest of the coaching staff," Padron said. "Also looking forward to seeing facilities and campus."

In addition to the PWO offer from Syracuse, he also holds PWO opportunities from Appalachian State and Troy. He took official visits to both schools this past fall. Following his Syracuse visit, it will be decision making time as Padron says he hopes to sign on National Signing Day. That is slated for Wednesday, February 7th.

ACC News

2024 Thu/Fri Games Announced (RX; HM)

2024 Thu/Fri Games Announced

It's always special when all eyes are on you...

From the official ACC release of Tuesday, January 23, 2024...

ACC Announces Thursday & Friday Night Contests for 2024 Football Season

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) – Ahead of the ACC Huddle: 2024 Football Schedule Release Show set for Wednesday, Jan. 24, from 5-7 p.m. ET on ACC Network and simulcast on ESPN2, the Atlantic Coast Conference unveiled Thursday and Friday night contests set throughout the 2024 season, with 14 games in primetime over the first 13 weeks of the season. Week 14 games may be announced at a later date.

Highlighting today’s announcement are Friday night conference matchups between Virginia Tech and Miami on Sept. 27 and Florida State at Duke on Oct. 18.

Boston College will play at Virginia Tech on Thursday, Oct. 17, as the Hokies will celebrate 30 years of ESPN College Football Thursday Primetime at Lane Stadium, while Stanford and Syracuse will meet on Friday, Sept. 20, as the Cardinal play their inaugural ACC contest in a game that will commemorate 44 years to the day since the Orange first hosted a game in what is now called the JMA Wireless Dome. The first game in the Dome was Sept. 20, 1980, as Syracuse hosted Miami (Ohio).

On Monday, the league announced the Week 1 Labor Day Weekend games, highlighted by Boston College at Florida State on Monday Night. It also noted the start of the 2024 college football season with the Week 0 opener in Ireland between Florida State and Georgia Tech on Aug. 24, with ESPN’s College GameDay Built by the Home Depot making its first trip outside of the United States.

Analysis of 2024 Thu/Fri Games (RX; HM)

Analysis of 2024 Thu/Fri Games

Which Teams?

Who is actually playing in these games?

Thursday Night Games

Boston College, Georgia Tech, N Carolina, NC State (2), Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest.

Friday Night Games

Boston College, Cal, Duke (2), Florida State, Louisville, Miami, SMU, Stanford (2), Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest.

How Many Games?

Who plays two weeknights, who plays just one, and who doesn't play any?

Teams with two weeknight games:

Boston College, Duke, NC State, Stanford, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest.

Teams with one weeknight game:

Cal, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, N Carolina, Pitt, and SMU.

Teams with zero weeknight games:

Clemson and Virginia.

Other/Miscellaneous

Who is playing one of their home games on a weeknight?

Teams hosting a weeknight game:

Boston College, Duke (2), Georgia Tech, Miami, N Carolina, NC State, Pitt, SMU, Stanford, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest (2).

Teams playing only road games on weeknights:

Cal, Florida State, and Louisville.

Weeknight Games by Week

Here are the games by week and weekday:

2024 ACC Ranked by Final 2023 FPI (RX; HM)

2024 ACC Ranked by Final 2023 FPI

From ESPN's favorite computer rating system, their final 2023-24 FPI...

Here are the 2024 ACC teams in order of FPI (with the three newbies in bold):

1. Florida State Seminoles 16.8
2. Clemson Tigers 13.5
3. SMU Mustangs 11.9
4. Louisville Cardinals 10.9
5. Miami Hurricanes 10.1
6. Duke Blue Devils 8.9
7. North Carolina Tar Heels 8.7
8. NC State Wolfpack 7.3
9. Virginia Tech Hokies 5.1
10. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 4.1
11. California Golden Bears 2.9
12. Syracuse Orange 0.5
13. Pittsburgh Panthers -0.5
14. Wake Forest Demon Deacons -1.7
15. Boston College Eagles -3.5
16. Virginia Cavaliers -5.1
17. Stanford Cardinal -9.6

Tweets 2024 Jan 24 (RX; HM)

Tweets 2024 Jan 24

Go ahead and push the "easy" button?

Go ahead and pencil in a bowl berth for these teams based on scheduling.

MORE: College football's easiest schedules for 2024 season, ranked pic.twitter.com/fUMzzuDwif
— 247Sports (@247Sports) January 23, 2024
Four of the seven easiest are Big XII teams, but... five of the top 10 are in the ACC (the last is an SEC team).

Miami's "Ibis" logo undergoes some changes

All in the details https://t.co/F4RPyh0CAB pic.twitter.com/vT5qCzwWnh
— Miami Hurricanes (@MiamiHurricanes) January 22, 2024
I like it!

Sometimes one retirement can ripple through a whole industry.

Other

KKZVWXRPENHY5LWEWCOJYORVTE.jpg

The meat lover pizza from Franco's, the third stop on our CNY Pizza Tour. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

CNY Pizza Tour, stop #3: You’ll get a decent pizza at Franco’s, but jeez, it’ll cost you (PS; $; Miller)

The favorite food group among college students is pizza, with ramen being a distant second. Right? Then how is it that Syracuse University is situated in what many would consider a pizza desert? The 22,500 students up on the Hill have the Varsity at the westernmost end of campus and that’s it. The closest alternative is Franco’s Pizzeria & Deli about ¾ of a mile away on Genesee Street, kitty-corner to Syracuse Stage.

Frank Vigliotti opened this pizza shop decades ago, and he’s since retired. This corner shop, though, is running strong, doing most of its business at lunch and late-night. It’s still an option for SU faculty holding department meetings and last-day-of-class meals. Judging by the dozens of photos from SU grads on the wall, it’s a favorite among students. From Matt Goldstein, class of ‘06: “To the whole Franco’s crew: Thanks for keeping me alive these past four years! I’ll never forget you guys and the love I felt each time I walked in.”

Customers over the years, mostly Syracuse University students, have left a photo for Franco's, the third stop on our CNY Pizza Tour. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

OK, let’s get down to business ...

Address: 901 E. Genesee St., Syracuse. (315) 475-1100

Do they deliver: Yes, to Syracuse University, Le Moyne College, the North Side, Eastwood, Carrier Circle, Lyncourt and throughout the city. They also have a couple tables inside the business.

What I ate: The Meat Lover pizza. It’s considered a specialty pizza, so a 16-incher was $28.99 before tax and tip. You read that correctly. More on this later.

Why this pizza? The woman working the register said the most popular pizza here is the Buffalo Wing pizza. I politely declined. Many of you pizza lovers will shun me on this, but I firmly believe chicken wings and pizza should be eaten independently of each other. Yes, you can consume pizza and wings in one sitting, but not in the same damn bite. Anyway, the second-most popular pizza here is the Meat Lover. While I am a chicken wing pizza hater, I am a lover of greasy pound-packing meat, so this was an easy choice. (The breakfast pizza is popular too, she said, but in the morning.)

RATINGS (out of 5)

Crust:
3. Like many of you, I prefer a thin crust, one that’s rolled, stretched and spun to size. Franco’s dough is made here each morning, but it’s already in the pan when you finally order. The pizza maker gives it a good onceover with a spiked roller to flatten it and give it air holes. It wasn’t a bad crust by any stretch, but a stretch would’ve made it more even. Parts of my crust were as high as ¾ of an inch and as low as ⅜ of an inch.

Toppings: 4. This is a salt-lover’s dream. It’s topped with pepperoni, crumbled sausage, diced ham and bacon. (At least I think it had bacon. I couldn’t see it, but maybe it looked like the ham.) They use Grande mozzarella, the rich buttery cheese that many in the pizza-making industry consider the best. The sauce, also made here, is basic and nondescript. That’s a good thing because we bought this for the meat, and the sauce didn’t interfere with that.

Value: 1. All Franco’s specialty pizzas are $28.99. Those include the Vegetarian, Breakfast, Philly Steak, Hawaiian and, yes, the dreaded Buffalo Wing. A 16-inch large cheese pizza is $16.99, and toppings are $2 each. If I were to order a cheese pizza and ask for equal amounts of ‘roni, sausage, bacon and ham, that would be $25. My bill with tax came to $31.31. I tipped $6, bringing my total for one pizza to $37.31. That’s 18.6 cents per square-inch bite!

My boss, by the way, questioned this expense. “Wait a minute. You tipped on a takeout pizza?” he asked. “Is that even a thing?” Sorry, Chief. Have a slice of pizza.

WCJNCW6CEJBDLJDWJJNMLRPVVA.jpg

An artist's rendering of what the proposed Longview Apartments would look like. Source: Ramsgard Architectural DesignRamsgard Architectural Design

Developer proposes a 170-apartment complex in Lysander with views of Seneca River (PS; $; Doran)

An Onondaga County developer wants to build 170 higher-end apartments overlooking the Seneca River in the Radisson community.

Robert Shanahan of Greentree Realty Capital LLC is proposing to construct 17 three-story apartment buildings at 8850 River Road in the Radisson planned unit development in Lysander.

Each of the buildings would have 10 two-bedroom apartments.

The site is behind an area designated for 14 single-family homes, so while the apartments would overlook the river they wouldn’t necessarily have riverfront access, officials said.

The proposed Longview Apartments do not need a zone change, Lysander town officials said.

Town officials are reviewing the site plan, which needs approval from the Lysander Planning Board. Shanahan said the idea at this time is for higher-end apartments. He declined to say more about the project until he gets further approval.