Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to Corn Chip Day!

Charles Elmer Doolin...was obsessed with Fritos, his daughter Kaleta said.

During the Depression in the 1930s, Doolin had a confectionery in San Antonio. Always an innovator, he got a bug to put some kind of corn snack on his counters. Tortillas staled, so Doolin went on a mission. At a gas station, Doolin found a Mexican man making an extruded corn chip out of masa, frying it and selling little bags of the fried corn chips. They were fritos, "little fried things" — the beach food of Mexico.
SU News

Syracuse Football: Early projection of 'Cuse regular-season record in 2024 campaign (itlh; Adler)

The full 2024 schedule for Syracuse football is out, and 247Sports recently called the Orange’s docket one of the easiest in the sport in the next term.

The ‘Cuse, led by new head coach Fran Brown, has gone a combined 13-13 over the past two seasons, reaching a bowl game in each campaign, but losing both of those post-season encounters.

Brown’s first year at the helm of the Orange includes seven contests at the JMA Wireless Dome, and five affairs away from the Hill.

Mark your calendars for the first year in a new era of Syracuse football

Full schedule breakdown: 2024 'Cuse Football Schedule Announced - Syracuse University Athletics pic.twitter.com/jIRRJ1PHK1
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) January 24, 2024

The ‘Cuse 2024 calendar has some pretty wild swings to it. To begin the season, the Orange will play four home games in a row. The team will then hit the road for five of its next six battles, before wrapping up the 2024 regular season with back-to-back contests in Central New York.

While this is Brown’s first-ever term as a head coach at the collegiate level, and Syracuse football has seen a fairly sizable roster makeover this off-season, I believe that the ‘Cuse is primed to win a lot of games in 2024.

Here is my early stab at projecting the regular-season record of Syracuse football.

Saturday, Aug. 31: Ohio at home
Conference affiliation: Mid-American Conference
Record in 2023 season: 10-3
ESPN preseason top 25 ranking: NA
Predicted result: Win

Saturday, Sept. 7: Georgia Tech at home
Conference affiliation: ACC
Record in 2023 season: 7-6

Friday, Sept. 20: Stanford at home
Record in 2023 season: 3-9

Saturday, Sept. 28: Holy Cross at home
Conference affiliation: Patriot League
Record in 2023 season: 7-4

Saturday, Oct. 5: at UNLV
Conference affiliation: Mountain West Conference
Record in 2023 season: 9-5

Saturday, Oct. 12: at N.C. State
Record in 2023 season: 9-4
ESPN preseason top 25 ranking: No. 20
Predicted result: Loss

Thursday, Oct. 24: at Pittsburgh

Saturday, Nov. 2: Virginia Tech at home

Saturday, Nov. 9: at Boston College

Saturday, Nov. 16: at California
Record in 2023 season: 6-7

Saturday, Nov. 23: UConn at home
Conference affiliation: Independent

Saturday, Nov. 30: Miami at home

Projected non-conference record: 4-0
Projected ACC record: 5-3

Projected overall record in 2024: 9-3

Syracuse Football: ‘Cuse players hungry to win a lot in 2024, 5-star QB Kyle McCord says (itlh; Adler)

Kyle McCord, who will spend his senior season in 2024 as the starting signal-caller for Syracuse football, says the Orange roster is filled with a lot of players who are hungry to win games and make some noise in the upcoming term.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound McCord, who had a strong junior year at Ohio State before transferring to the ‘Cuse last month, discussed a range of topics in a recent ACC Network interview with ESPN reporters Andrea Adelson and David Hale.

McCord said it was “kind of a no brainer” for him to transfer to the Orange, given the trust factor he has with the newly assembled Syracuse football staff.

ICYMI: Me & @aadelsonESPN chatted with new Cuse QB Kyle McCord on his relationship w/Fran Brown, his recruiting skills & his cheesesteak recs. pic.twitter.com/dImndj99S3
— ️♈️ (@ADavidHaleJoint) January 25, 2024
He hails from New Jersey, and numerous ‘Cuse coaches, including head coach Fran Brown, also come from the Garden State. In the ACC Network interview, McCord noted that he has known Brown, new offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon and offensive associate head coach/quarterbacks coach Nunzio Campanile all for a long time.

Once former Georgia defensive backs coach Brown was named to replace Dino Babers on the Hill, and McCord was officially in the NCAA’s transfer portal, Brown “was on me right away,” the quarterback says.

QB Kyle McCord thinks Syracuse football can have a stellar 2024 stanza.

The ‘Cuse recently began its winter workouts, and McCord likes what he’s seeing. He believes that the Orange has a ton of talent, a “really good culture,” and the team is “starting to come together.”

As he discussed, Syracuse football coaches have seen a lot of the squad’s best players from the 2023 season elect to return, such as running back LeQuint Allen Jr., defensive back Justin Barron, receiver Oronde Gadsden II and linebacker Marlowe Wax Jr., among many others.

Undeniably, the ‘Cuse has witnessed a bunch of guys hit the transfer portal and depart the program, which happens everywhere, and especially when there is a head-coaching change.

Yet as McCord alluded to, Brown and his staff have hauled in an excellent 2024 class, consisting of at least 20 high school seniors and 12 college transfers.

untitled-1080-%C3%97-630-px-1-32-768x448.jpg

Cheltenham football's Sharlandiin Strange 'hard commits' to Syracuse - Glenside Local (glenside.com)

On Friday, January 26, Sharlandiin Strange, Cheltenham High School’s 6’3″, 230-pound junior defensive end, said he will announce his verbal commitment to one of the many schools that has been courting his abilities on the football field.

On the evening of Saturday, January 27 at the team’s end-of-season banquet at Our Lady Help of Christians in Abington, Strange picked Syracuse over offers from Boston College, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Texas A&M, USC, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

“I would definitely say it’s the fans,” Strange told Sports Illustrated. “They take that Syracuse football serious. A coach told me it’s only basketball and football there. They go crazy. I was in the gas station with my mom. They stopped me, they wanted a picture. That’s something I’ve never even been through before. I never thought I even mattered that much. But the fans go crazy.”

The four star prospect said the decision was based in part on his relationships with defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson and head coach Fran Brown, in part on being able to stay close to family.

“That’s great because I’ve got family out in New York that I haven’t seen in so long,” Strange said. “A lot played a role in me committing to Syracuse. They get to see me play, my sisters get to see me play, my family I haven’t seen in a while can come up. It’s all coming together.”

For more on Strange’s high school career, including video footage, you can click here and here.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...trange-commits-to-syracuse-discusses-decision (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football is on the board in the 2025 recruiting class. The Orange landed four star Cheltenham (PA) High edge Sharlandiin Strange, who announced his commitment Saturday evening. He picked Syracuse over offers from Boston College, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Texas A&M, USC, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

"I would definitely say it's the fans," Strange said. "They take that Syracuse football serious. A coach told me it's only basketball and football there. They go crazy. I was in the gas station with my mom. They stopped me, they wanted a picture. That's something I've never even been through before. I never thought I even mattered that much. But the fans go crazy."

The 6-3, 235 pounder is rated a four star prospect by the 247Sports Composite and the On3 Industry Average. He is ranked a top 300 overall prospect by ESPN, On3, 247Sports Composite and the On3 Industry Average.

Strange visited for Junior Day last weekend, which sealed the deal for his decision. Paramount in that decision were his relationships with defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson and head coach Fran Brown.

Cheltenham Star Lineman Sharlandinn Strange chooses Syracuse (pafootballnews.com; Franklin)

Cheltenham HS rising senior Sharlandinn “Zaqq” Strange has made his collegiate choice announcing he’s committed to ACC program Syracuse University. Sharlandinn recently narrowed his finalist down to a top 5 that also included Pittsburgh, Penn State, Rutgers and South Carolina. Ultimately he chose Syracuse in part to a local connection with the new HC being from South Jersey and having a strong recruiting history with Philadelphia area players. Before Zaqq heads to Cuse he has unfinished business with his Cheltenham Panther teammates as they look to make a lengthy state playoff run with HC Troy Gore at the helm after a close defeat last season in the District 1 first round.
Syracuse football: Orange land first commit in Class of 2025 from 4-Star Edge Sharlandiin Strange (TNIAAM; Haller)
The Syracuse Orange have officially opened the doors on the 2025 class of recruits. The first commitment belongs to none other than Sharlandiin Strange, a 4-star edge rusher from Wyncote, PA. The recruitment bus continues to roll on down Crouse and Irving as the Orange welcome “Zaqq” to the family.

50000000% COMMITTED GO ORANGE @CuseFootball pic.twitter.com/Z0OirVgBlJ
— Sharlandiin “zaqq” Strange (@zaqq4x) January 28, 2024

A 6-foot-3, 235 pound prospect, Strange is listed by 247sports.com composite as a 0.9064 and a four star overall. He’s listed as the No. 271 recruit nationally, and 23rd best edge prospect in the country. That ranking would put him as the seventh best recruit in Syracuse’s modern recruiting history. He would be the second highest rated player in the Class of 2024, behind Emanuel Ross.

The Philly area prospect chose the Orange over an announced Top 5 including Pitt, Penn State, Rutgers and USC. Coach Fran and Co. were able to keep him in the northeast and beat out the rest of the power programs in the area. That’s a very promising sign moving forward. It may also not hurt that he was in the Dome for that buzzer beater against Miami with defensive line coach Nick Williams.

Keeping the defensive line pipeline alive seems to be a priority for defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson and Williams and this is a prime addition. He will join an existing roster of eighteen defensive linemen (Edge or DL) that includes the incoming the Class of 2024. With three seniors and two redshirt juniors on the roster, there are some elder classmen that will need to get replaced moving forward, and getting the commitment from Strange is a step in the right direction there.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...tar-cb-dawayne-galloway-recaps-syracuse-visit (SI; McAllister)
Class of 2025 Columbus (OH) Marion Franklin cornerback Dawayne Galloway is one of the best players in his cycle. He is a consensus four star and top 200 overall prospect. The 6-1, 175 pound corner is ranked as high as the 80th best player in the class by ESPN and as low as the 193rd best by 247Sports. Galloway spend Saturday on the Syracuse campus for a visit.

"Went really good," Galloway said. "Finally got to connect with the entire staff. Got to hangout with coach Fran and Ross and basically everyone on the staff. We went to the basketball game and kicked it and had dinner after. The best part was just being able to see that this is an elite staff coach Fran put together."

Galloway has a well established relationship with Fran Brown, dating back to Brown's time at Georgia. The two have developed a strong bond, which was only enhanced during the visit on Saturday. Especially being able to spend time with the rest of the staff.

"We were just talking about life and Syracuse and family," Galloway said. "Catching up and talking about the future. It felt real good."

Beyond that, Galloway was able to attend Syracuse basketball's win over NC State in the JMA Wireless Dome. He enjoyed his experience.

"It was pretty legit," Galloway said. "We had fun and it was electric."

Galloway already thought highly of Syracuse because of his connection to coach Brown. The visit only enhanced that interest.

"I love that place," Galloway said. "For sure top five."

Former SU assistant will look to resuscitate Iowa offense (PS; $; Carlson)

Former Syracuse offensive coordinator Tim Lester, who helped bring Eric Dungey to Central New York, will be tasked with revitalizing an Iowa offense that became one of the most amusing sideshows in college football last season.

Lester’s hiring as Iowa offensive coordinator was reported by Football Scoop and ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg.

Sources: Iowa is hiring Tim Lester as their next offensive coordinator. https://t.co/OLBSBRCMky
— FootballScoop (@FootballScoop) January 28, 2024

Sources: Iowa is expected to hire Tim Lester, the former Western Michigan coach, as offensive coordinator. Lester spent the 2023 season as a Green Bay Packers analyst, and was set to take the OC job at Troy. Iowa also strongly considered former Duke OC Kevin Johns, per sources.
— Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) January 28, 2024

Iowa’s football program has performed well under long-time head coach Kirk Ferentz, finishing either first or second in its division of the Big Ten in seven of the last nine seasons.

This success has come despite the team’s offense sputtering under the leadership of Ferentz’s son, Brian.

The Hawkeyes won 10 games last year but the offense averaged only 15.4 points, a remarkable combination.

Iowa finished last in the country in total yards with just 234.6 per game, nearly 30 yards worse than next-to-last Eastern Michigan.

The combination of a successful father and program, with a son leading the worst part of the team led to a fascinating dynamic in Iowa, one where the school’s athletic director was tasked with oversight of the offensive coordinator because of the state’s nepotism laws.

ACC News

Teel: Takeaways from the ACC's first 17-team football schedule (richmond.com; $; Teel)

Travel mitigation, television strategy and creative marketing are evident in the ACC football schedule revealed Wednesday, the conference’s first as a 17-team, coast-to-coast entity.
League officials determined protected rivalries, venues and rotations for this seven-year model in October, but the sequencing of games is always complex and intriguing, never more so than with this season’s new media landscape and the league’s addition of Stanford, Cal Berkeley and Southern Methodist.

TV tactics: Appearing on 24 of ABC’s Saturday national telecasts translated to ratings victories for ACC football last season, with 11 of those games attracting more than 3.0 million viewers, including Virginia Tech-Florida State. Only six Saturday ACC games in 2022 drew such audiences.

But many of those windows, created when the Big Ten excluded ABC/ESPN from its latest media deals, figure to vanish this season as ABC/ESPN becomes the exclusive home of college football’s strongest conference — the SEC.
This new dynamic furthered the need for the ACC to schedule strategically in 2024.
For example, with relatively light SEC fare the first week of October — the SEC announced its schedule last month — what better day to stage the ACC’s premier rivalry? Sure enough, Florida State hosts Clemson on Oct. 5.

Innovative marketing emerges that same date as the conference stages “ACC Football Day in the Bay.” Bay Area neighbors Cal and Stanford play their first ACC home games, the Cardinal hosting Virginia Tech and the Bears welcoming Miami.

Surely the ACC will nudge ESPN to bring “College GameDay” to California for the festivities, though Michigan at Washington in a rematch of this month’s national championship game is also on the Oct. 5 docket.

Hokies-Hurricanes: The week prior to heading west, Virginia Tech and Miami renew their rivalry with a Friday night game in South Florida, giving the teams an extra day to prepare for the California trip.

Equally wise, this provides the Hokies and Hurricanes an exclusive television window rather than playing the next day opposite Georgia-Alabama, Oklahoma-Auburn and Arkansas-Texas A&M, the latter at the Dallas Cowboys’ stadium.

Coast to coast: Collaborating with ESPN and campus administrators, Michael Strickland, the ACC’s senior associate commissioner for football and scheduling savant, reduced the burdens of cross-country travel as much as possible.
Of the six ACC teams jetting from the Eastern time zone to Stanford or Cal, four have an open date afterward: Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, N.C. State and Miami.
Louisville hosts Pitt one week after its junket to Stanford but is idle the week before heading west. Syracuse has the most challenging road with consecutive November dates at Boston College, at Cal and home against Connecticut.

Cal’s four trips to the Eastern time zone are scattered throughout the schedule. Stanford plays back-to-back games at Syracuse and Clemson on Sept. 20 and 28, tests mitigated by the school’s academic calendar — fall classes don’t start until Sept. 23.

5 legal thoughts on the Florida State vs. ACC lawsuits, grant of rights (tampabay.com; Baker)

Years before Florida State and the ACC filed dueling lawsuits over the Seminoles’ future in the conference, Mark T. Wilhelm studied a version of the secretive document at the core of this half-a-billion-dollar dispute.

It’s called a grant of rights, and he examined its enforceability in the Harvard Law School Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law.

Wilhelm, a partner who handles mergers and acquisitions at the Philadelphia law firm Troutman Pepper, spoke with the Tampa Bay Times recently to share his insight and personal thoughts on the case (still in its infancy). Here are some takeaways:

If you’re wondering how FSU can escape deals it signed, you’re not alone

“That’s a great question,” Wilhelm said, “and I don’t have a particularly good answer.”

Wilhelm explained a few options to try to escape contracts like a grant of rights — where FSU and the other schools granted their TV rights to the ACC, which sold them to ESPN and distributed the money back to the schools.

One is that the deal is, essentially, unfair. FSU said it would lose out on $572 million as part of a “draconian” process to leave the ACC. But Florida State previously agreed to those figures, which could hurt its argument.

Another is that the ACC broke the deal’s terms. FSU brings up this one, too, arguing the conference failed to live up to its financial and competitive promises. But if those promises were made elsewhere — like the conference’s mission statement — does that apply to a financial contract?

A third option: what looks like a contract isn’t a contract after all.

Remember this word: considerations

Valid contracts must have three parts: an offer, an acceptance and a consideration. Suppose you offer to buy a neighbor’s old bike for $10. He accepts, and you give him the consideration ($10). That satisfies all three requirements.

But Wilhelm said a consideration must be new. It doesn’t work if you borrowed $10 from your neighbor last week, then give him $10 for the bike; your neighbor isn’t getting a new consideration.

FSU argues in its complaint that it “received no new consideration” by signing the grant of rights. If a court accepts that argument, then there’s no contract. And if there’s no contract, then Florida State could save hundreds of million of dollars on its way out.

It matters how you slice (and characterize) $572 million

One of the two major chunks, according to FSU, is a $130 million fee to leave the ACC. The other is $429 million in TV money the conference will withhold until 2036.

ACC Football - All Logos RANKED (youtube.com; podcast; Cody White 210)

ACC Football - All Logos RANKED

Friedlander: Ranking every ACC football head coach entering the 2024 season - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Friedlander)

Thanks to expansion, the ACC’s geographic footprint is now spread from sea to shining sea.

The range of opinion over how to rank the league’s best coaches is nearly as wide. It’s best illustrated by the competition for last season’s Coach of the Year award between Florida State’s Mike Norvell and Louisville’s Jeff Brohm.

Do you judge the rankings based strictly on records? Or do you put more stock in how far a coach’s team exceeded its preseason expectations?

Both factors have been taken into consideration in compiling this list of the ACC’s best coaches as the calendar turns from 2023 to 2024. However, recent performance is given greater weight over career achievement.

Because of that and the fact that 3 new teams have been added into the mix, these rankings are bound to be fluid and could look drastically different by this time next year.

So let’s get started. Let the debate begin as we rank the ACC head coaches entering the 2024 season!

17. Tony Elliott, Virginia

Record overall: 6-16 (3-12), 3 seasons

Elliott’s tenure at Virginia has been marred by an unthinkable tragedy. His leadership in response to the shooting deaths of 3 of his players in November 2022 has been admirable and has helped deflect attention from his team’s performance on the field. The Cavaliers showed signs of progress in 2023 and Elliott has done some good work on the transfer portal. But after only 3 wins in each of his first 2 seasons, he’ll be on the hot seat to start 2024.

16. Fran Brown, Syracuse

First season

Brown has a national championship pedigree from his time at Georgia and a reputation for being one of the nation’s best recruiters. He’s already using that ability to his advantage by attracting Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord to run his offense and bringing in several transfers from his former school. While he has the potential to shoot up these rankings quickly, he’s still an unknown commodity who has yet to prove himself as a head coach.

15. Justin Wilcox, Cal

Record overall: 36-43 (21-37, Pac-12), 7 seasons

The Bears join the ACC after a 6-7 season that included a trip to the Independence Bowl, which they lost to Texas Tech. It marked only the 3rd time in Wilcox’s 7-year tenure at Cal that his team qualified for the postseason. Both of his 2 winning seasons came before the pandemic – 7-6 in 2018 and 8-5 in 2019.

14. Troy Taylor, Stanford

Record at school: 3-9 (2-7 Pac-12), 1 season
Record overall: 33-17

Taylor’s debut season at Stanford didn’t go well. His Cardinal won only 3 games and gave up 42 or more
points 7 times. His performance at his previous tenure gives a hint of the promise he brings to the ACC. In 3 seasons at FCS Sacramento State, Taylor’s teams went a combined 30-8 with 3 consecutive Big Sky Conference championships.

My Top 10 ACC FB Matchups of 2024 (RX; HM)

My Top 10 ACC FB Matchups of 2024

Here's my Top 10 best ACC football games for the 2024 season (in chronological order):
  • Aug. 24 - Florida State vs Georgia Tech (Dublin)
  • Aug. 31 - Clemson vs Georgia (Atlanta)
  • Aug. 31 - Miami at Florida
  • Sep. 7 - NC State vs Tennessee (Charlotte)
  • Sep. 27 - Virginia Tech at Miami
  • Sep. 28 - Louisville at Notre Dame
  • Oct. 5 - Clemson at Florida State
  • Sep. 14 - W. Virginia at Pitt (BYB)
  • Sep. 21 - TCU at SMU
  • Nov. 9 - Florida State at Notre Dame
That's not including the Rivalry Week match-ups, which are simply loaded. And you never know when a team not mentioned here will burst upon the scene and elevate a game we thought was going to be bland into something special - that's one reason we love this sport so much!

ACC FB YouTube Videos 2024 Jan 28 (RX; HM)

ACC FB YouTube Videos 2024 Jan 28

Josh Pate hosts a very popular podcast - Late Kick - and he posts videos clips of it on YouTube.

Josh Pate's Biggest
ACC Schedule Release
Takeaways (Late Kick Cut)

Josh Pate's Biggest ACC Schedule Release Takeaways (Late Kick Cut)

The ACC schedule release is here with the conference entering 2024 with a new look as the super conference era has arrived in College Football. SMU, Cal, and Stanford are set to give the ACC a more national feel. On Late Kick Live Ep 477 Josh Pate offered his biggest takeaways about what teams like FSU and Clemson are looking at this fall. Could we have a sleeper team in the ACC?
I don't want to completely spoil it for you, because it's a good video, but I do want to review a few things in it:

1. Florida State has a schedule every bit as strong as the top SEC teams.
2. Clemson will once again have a tough start to their football season (Georgia, NC State, and FSU in the first month).
3. Virginia Tech appeared to turn the corner in 2023 and should be dangerous in 2024.
4. Don't be surprised if SMU makes noise in their first ACC season.
5. Syracuse is getting an infusion of talent and is bound to improve with a little coaching.
6. To say Cal has a lot of air miles coming this Fall is an understatement.

CFB 2024: Most Excited to See (ESPN) (RX; HM)

CFB 2024: Most Excited to See (ESPN)

From ESPN's "College football 2024: What we're most excited to see", here are the ACC-related highlights...

What game on next season's schedule are you most looking forward to?

Miami at Florida, Aug. 31

Though this in-state rivalry game may not have national championship implications right out of the gate, this is a huge game for both programs and head coaches. Mario Cristobal and Billy Napier each head into critical Year 3 seasons with fan bases that are eager for results. Interestingly enough, they have nearly identical records in their first two seasons -- Cristobal 12-13 as the hometown hero tasked with bringing Miami back, Napier 11-14 facing the hardest schedule in the nation. What happens in this game will set the narrative and tone for what is to come at both schools. -- Andrea Adelson

Florida State at Notre Dame, Nov. 9

This game will have playoff implications for both programs, but particularly Notre Dame, which can only earn a spot in the 12-team College Football Playoff through an at-large bid. (Only the five highest-ranked conference champions are guaranteed a spot.) The Irish could get a significant boost to their résumé if they can claim a win against the potential ACC champs. If FSU finishes as a one-loss or undefeated conference champion, a road win against a ranked Notre Dame team could boost its seeding in the 12-team field. -- Heather Dinich

Which true freshman or transfer are you most excited to see?

DJ Uiagalelei at Florida State

It feels strange even typing DJU and Florida State in the same sentence, considering the path he has traveled to get to Tallahassee. One of the most highly touted quarterbacks in the nation out of high school, Uiagalelei started his career at Clemson, where he struggled for two seasons as the starter, then sought a fresh start at Oregon State. After a solid 2023 season, Uiagalelei decided to transfer once again -- this time to Clemson's ACC nemesis. Will he handle the pressure that comes with the spotlight at Florida State any better than he did at Clemson? Time will tell. Mark an X on Oct. 5 in your calendar; that's the date Clemson comes to Doak Campbell Stadium. -- Adelson

Cam Ward at Miami

I think I'm most excited about the uncertainty here -- I have absolutely no idea what to expect from Ward, who was beautifully prolific at Incarnate Word, then tantalizing but inconsistent in two years at Washington State. Ward seemed to want to go pro, declaring for the draft but apparently not getting the draft grade he was looking for, and that could make him particularly hungry for a big year. He's a pretty accurate passer with a scrambling streak. Can he unlock what has been a very frustrating Miami offense? Or will he frustrate too? -- Connelly

What team are you most interested in seeing if it can take a big step forward?

Syracuse

The Orange have won 10 games in a season exactly once in the past 22 years, going 10-3 under Dino Babers in 2018. Babers couldn't sustain that success and was fired after his teams produced one winning season in the past five. The Orange took a gamble on former Georgia defensive backs coach Fran Brown, who is a top-notch recruiter but has never been a head coach. He landed former Ohio State starter Kyle McCord out of the transfer portal. The Orange don't play ACC foes Clemson, Florida State or North Carolina during the regular season, and they play Virginia Tech, Miami, Stanford and Georgia Tech at home. There's a chance for improvement in Brown's first season. -- Schlabach

Best College Towns 2024 (RX; HM)

Best College Towns 2024

Where can you find the best college towns? Here's what "College Football Alerts" has to say about that...

The nations best college towns according to Best College Reviews.

Who’s #1 in your opinion!? pic.twitter.com/8tEZQXyzF5
— College Football Alerts  (@CFBAlerts_) January 28, 2024
The point? I guess you could say that some of the best college towns in America belong to ACC schools! From their list:
5. Berkeley, CA
7. Chapel Hill, NC
12. Pittsburgh, PA
15. Blacksburg, VA
16. Charlottesville, VA
18. Tallahassee, FL
That's not to take anything away from places like Chestnut Hill, Clemson, Coral Gables, Durham, Palo Alto, South Bend, Syracuse, or Winston-Salem - all fine college towns in their own right. And while you may not think of Atlanta, Dallas, Louisville, or Raleigh primarily as college towns, the neighborhoods around the schools surely do their best to support the college "feel".

Virginia Tech Will WIN the ACC in 2024 | Fan H0T Takes, College Football (youtube; podcast; Until Satruday)

Virginia Tech Will WIN the ACC in 2024 | Fan H0T Takes, College Football

Other

Amid promise and uncertainty, Syracuse’s public housing makeover begins: 'It’s going to hurt my heart to have to move' (PS; $; Breidenbach)

Everything in Avis Hatcher’s apartment needs to be updated.

There’s no central air conditioning, appliances have been fixed instead of replaced, and the heating system is so humid, she said, that she gets frequent sinus infections.

Still, she calls the 620-square-foot apartment on the 8th floor of Almus Olver Tower her “house” and she doesn’t want to move.

“AOT,” as it’s nicknamed, is at the heart of 1,037 public housing units built on 118 acres next to the elevated Interstate 81 viaduct in Syracuse. At the same time the highway comes down, there is a plan to renovate AOT, then tear down all of the public housing around it and build a neighborhood for everyone.

After years of planning and talking, the $800 million transformation of public housing into a mixed-income neighborhood is about to begin. It will be a slow process, done in 12 phases over many years.

It starts this summer with the $60 million renovation of the 12-story Almus Olver Tower, just 8 apartments at a time.

Then, at the start of 2025, the first 25 buildings of old public housing along East Adams Street will be torn down.

McKinney Manor will go first. Then, Pioneer Homes and eventually, Central Village, will be razed.

Syracuse University student diagnosed with tuberculosis (PS; $; Alba)
A Syracuse University student was diagnosed with tuberculosis, an airborne bacterial infection that affects the lungs.

The student lives off-campus and has not been on-campus since their diagnosis, SU officials said Friday.

People who were in close contact with the student have been notified by the Onondaga County Health Department, officials said.

TB can be spread through the air and prolonged contact. Symptoms include a persistent cough, body weakness, weight loss, low-grade fever or night sweats, and could show up months after contracting the bacteria.

The infection can be treated with a series of antibiotics.

In 2022, the latest data from the CDC, 8,331 of TB cases were reported in the U.S., a 5.9% increase from 2021.

Attachments

• 1706531855381.png
    1706531855381.png
    73 bytes · Views: 20