Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
tumblr_o5j5sesPtz1s5e5bko1_400.gif

Welcome to National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!

A simple combination of bread, cheese, and a little butter has become one of the greatest comfort foods ever created: the grilled cheese sandwich! Cheese and bread have been being combined since the ancient Romans, but it wasn't until the twentieth century that the grilled cheese sandwich began to take shape.

Two factors set the stage for the rise of grilled cheese: inexpensive processed cheese and sliced bread. James L. Kraft opened his first cheese plant in 1914 in Illinois. The following year he invented pasteurized cheese—cheap processed cheese that wouldn't spoil when it was being transported long distances. Shortly thereafter, in the late 1920s, sliced bread came on the market. The sandwiches made at this time often had names like "toasted cheese" and "melted cheese." Recipes had grated cheese with a binder such as salad dressing, white sauce, or mustard.

SU News

Spring Football Notebook 2024: Hurry-up offense, Ross Douglas’s NFL experience (DO; Miller)

When referees jog into the building in full gear at 8:18 a.m., it’s going to be an intense practice. Less than 10 minutes into the media viewing session, Syracuse was already in a full 11-on-11 hurry-up drill.

First, second and third teams all went head-to-head as coaches screamed instructions and pointed emphatically at their players. The crack of helmets and shoulder pads echoed through the indoor facility as rain poured down outside.

After all the units had gone, the team split up into position groups, as they normally do, for individual training with their position coaches. Contact was plentiful for the running backs, who were pass-protecting. Wide receivers coach Ross Douglas fired passes, preparing his receivers for Kyle McCord’s passes that would follow.

Here are some observations from Syracuse’s latest spring practice:

McCord shines in hurry-up offense

On the third play for the first-team offense, McCord faked the handoff and then gave a shoulder fake to Darrell Gill Jr. to his left. Freshman defensive back Marcellus Barnes Jr. tried to jump the short hitch, and Gill blew past him. McCord let one go down the sideline, hitting Gill in-stride on his back shoulder for a massive gain.

Douglas, who previously held the same role with the New England Patriots, said he sees a ton of professional characteristics from McCord.

“He’s always around the building, doing extra, pulling guys along with him,” Douglas said. “He’s just gotta be consistent with it, just like all these guys who want to make it to the next level, it’s consistency over time.”

McCord’s reception from his teammates has certainly been consistent in his time at Syracuse thus far. Multiple players, including Trebor Pena today, have complimented how he carries himself, saying he’s been vocal as a leader on and off the field while commanding the respect of everyone, whether they’re old or new faces.

Wohlabaugh still recovering from broken fibula after check-up forced him back into boot (PS; Leiker)
Offensive lineman David Wohlabaugh Jr. is still recovering from the broken fibula he suffered in Syracuse football’s second game of the 2023 season.

“Once it happened it was kind of a thing instantly I was like, ‘Oh, something’s not right,’” Wohlabaugh said Thursday.

He had to have surgery in Syracuse to repair it at the time, as the break messed up several of the surrounding ligaments.

In January, Wohlabaugh started working out and running again, but he said that things didn’t feel quite right.

He went for a check-up and doctors found his injury hadn’t healed the way it was supposed to. He had surgery again in February, this time in North Carolina, to fix it.

Now, Wohlabaugh’s back in a medical boot, has five permanent screws in his ankle and is awaiting clearance to return to action this summer. He said he’ll be “back by (fall) camp for sure.”

Being his first major college injury and coming just months after his summer transfer to Syracuse from Kentucky, the injury was particularly tough because it took away Wohlabaugh’s chance at being an immediate-impact guy, he said.

He’d earned a starting spot in fall camp at right tackle and will have to re-earn it again this year — either at that position or somewhere else along the line — against several other returners and a handful of new players.

Not being able to play also made it more difficult to learn a new offense, a task he’s now having to undergo again as Syracuse installs new offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon’s offense this spring and the O-line works under new coach Dale Williams.

“Just from watching I could learn stuff, but it’s way different than me being in there,” Wohlabaugh said. “...I try to learn as much as I can, help the guys out with little technique things or explaining certain plays and stuff like that. Trying to be in a coach sort of way as much as I can or as much as I’m allowed to.”

Wohlabaugh said there hasn’t been a significant difference in the way his recovery has been handled since the change of staff.

Brandon Hall remained SU’s head football athletic trainer through the transition, and much of that support staff remains in place, too.
How is SU’s depth at O-line shaking out? ‘Everybody’s getting flipped around’ (PS; $; Leiker)
Jakob Bradford wasn’t intimidated when Syracuse football started bringing in new offensive linemen from the transfer portal.

“For me being an older guy, my motto was I’ll do whatever it takes for the team to win,” Bradford said Thursday. “I just look at it as a positive. If better people come in, that means we win more games… I just wanna win games this year.”

That’s a mindset Bradford’s always had, he said, pointing back to last season when he started at right guard in the beginning of the year, lost that spot due to injury and focused on contributing to his team any way he could, from heavy packages with six o-linemen to special teams.

Now, with the additions of three transfers and a few true freshmen, the room is fuller than it has been any time recently and ripe for real competition.

For a position group that’s been a consistent discussion point for the Orange the past few years and has been somewhat of a make-or-break for the team’s overall success, that’s a positive.

That said, Bradford does seem a candidate to earn one of the five starting jobs.

From left tackle across to right tackle, the starting line Thursday both in position drills working against the defensive line and then in a brief team period looked as such: Enrique Cruz Jr., Bradford, J’Onre Reed, Mark Petry and Howard transfer Da’Metrius Weatherspoon.

Bradford, after confirming that was the current first team, said that grouping is still very much in flux as offensive line coach Dale Williams sorts out who he wants to play where.

“Everybody’s getting flipped around,” Bradford said, echoing comments made last week by fellow lineman Joe More. “Coach is just trying to find the best five, so whoever the best five is, we’ll run with that.”

Bradford said he’s taken some reps at tackle in practice despite traditionally being a guard. More is repping at center despite also being primarily a guard in his collegiate career.

Cruz and Weatherspoon, who teammates have called “Big Spoon,” have received praise for their work this spring at the tackle spots from fellow members of the offense and the defensive linemen they’ve gone up against.

“I like the energy that they bring,” edge rusher Denis Jaquez Jr. said Tuesday, noting that both will dish trash talk back to head coach Fran Brown when he’s dishing it to them.

Overheard at SU football spring practice: ‘Any terrible job you can think of? I did it.’ )PS; $; Axe)
The dirty life of a college football graduate assistant, what it was like working with Bill Belichick and everything is faster.

Those were just some of the things I heard at Syracuse University football spring practice on Thursday.

WR coach Ross Douglas

On the experience of working with Bill Belichick in New England:

“Just what he put in everyday. First one in, last one out. He’s like a living encyclopedia of football. It was incredible, he had the whole depth chart. He could tell you where everyone went to college, their height, weight, speed, measurables, He knew everybody in the NFL. The lessons I learned from him are endless. I’m just trying to apply them here everyday.”

On how a trip to the cafeteria turned into a promotion:

“I was walking back from the cafeteria with a burrito in mind and Coach Belichick was like ‘Ross, come in my office.’ I was like, ‘oh dang he’s going to tell me thank you for a year, you’re out of here.’ He pulls me in and says ‘you did a heck of a job with the defense last year. Coach (Josh) McDaniels left and took the head coaching job with the Las Vegas Raiders. There’s a couple spots on the offensive coaching staff. A good coach can coach anything. What do you think about coaching wide receivers?’ I wasn’t going to say no, I was about to get a promotion. I’m thankful for Coach Belichick for giving me that opportunity and believing in me.”

On how being 29-years-old helps him relate to his players:

“If you ask my players, I’m 29, but I have an older soul. It was the way I was brought up. My dad was a drill sergeant in the military, my mom worked in higher education. I really had no leeway to do anything wrong in my house. I grew up faster than the average person. I got cleats on now and run around and have energy with the guys. I’m really like a Uncle/big brother figure for those guys.”

Axe: Mailbag! Answering your SU football spring practice questions (PS; podcast; Axe)
How does the offensive line look? Is Syracuse competitive in NIL? How will the new offense line up? Does anyone still use the fullback? Has SU ever had this many highly-rated commitments from New York?

These were just some of the questions on the mind of Syracuse Sports Insiders about Orange football in an all-new mailbag edition of Syracuse Sports.

Brent Axe and Emily Leiker answer all your questions and offer the latest intel from SU spring practice. You’ll also hear from new SU wide receivers coach Ross Douglas who had some entertaining stories about working with Bill Belichick in New England and why he followed Fran Brown to Syracuse.

Syracuse football named a finalist for numerous three-star, nationally ranked targets (itlh; Adler)
Syracuse football coaches have already assembled a strong 2025 class to date, and it's possible that more verbal commitments could be on the way in the near future.

In recent days, several 'Cuse three-star targets in the junior cycle, along with a college transfer, have unveiled list cuts that include the Orange, according to posts on their respective X pages.

While it's obviously no guarantee that these recruits will ultimately pick Syracuse football, it's nonetheless highly encouraging that the program remains in the running for these prospects.

Head coach Fran Brown and his staff have a lot of momentum with their 2025 recruiting efforts. When I wrote this article on Wednesday, the Orange had at least 12 verbal pledges from high school juniors, with the vast majority of them occurring since mid-March.

What's more, at the time of this writing, the team's 2025 cycle was ranked No. 10 around the country by both the industry-generated 247Sports Composite and https://syracuse./commitments/football/2025, which is awesome.

Let's review which targets have put Syracuse football among their finalists.

Jayden Loftin
2025 three-star edge/outside linebacker
The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Loftin attends Somerville High School in Somerville, N.J.
Rated at No. 738 overall, No. 53 at edge and No. 25 in New Jersey, per the 247Sports Composite
Re-offered a scholarship by the new Orange coaching staff on January 27, 2024
Has a top seven of Syracuse football, Tennessee, South Carolina, Penn State, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Minnesota

Wheres Home ? pic.twitter.com/aY5zXUUWim
— Jayden Loftin 3⭐️ (@jay24FB) April 10, 2024

Maliki Wright
2025 three-star athlete/safety
The 6-foot, 190-pound Wright attends Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, Fla.
Rated at No. 846 overall, No. 67 at safety and No. 123 in Florida, per the 247Sports Composite
Offered a scholarship by the 'Cuse on January 23, 2024
Has a top five of Syracuse football, Illinois, Duke, N.C. State and USF

5️⃣@304Committed pic.twitter.com/7zm7DJLl3Z
— Maliki “Kai”Wright ‘25 (@bigsgkaii) April 2, 2024
Ziyyon Bredell
2025 athlete/wide receiver
The 5-foot-11, 170-pound Bredell attends Lincoln High School in Philadelphia
Offered a scholarship by the Orange on January 9, 2024
Has a top three of Syracuse football, Maryland and Pittsburgh, and he plans to make his commitment announcement on April 22

“Glad to announce that I will be committing April 22nd at Lincoln H.S
@RailsplittersFB @CoachDuke745 @CoachHak6 @EdOBrienCFB @Rivals @PrepRedzonePA @PaFootballNews pic.twitter.com/zrYukLd2c8
— Ziyyon bredell (@BZiyyon) April 4, 2024

Jalil Hall
2025 three-star wide receiver/defensive end
The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Hall attends the Monsignor Bonner & Archbishop Prendergast Catholic High School in Drexel Hill, Pa.
Rated at No. 641 overall, No. 107 at wide receiver and No. 19 in Pennsylvania, per the 247Sports Composite
Offered a scholarship by the 'Cuse on February 27, 2024
Has a top five of Syracuse football, Rutgers, West Virginia, Maryland and Duke, and he plans to make his commitment announcement on June 29

June 29th… pic.twitter.com/radMGBCvZK
— Jalil Hall (@Jalil1Hall) April 6, 2024

Can Kyle McCord lift the SU offense? (orangefizz.net; Shalam)

With the spring football game just a week away, the hype is building around quarterback Kyler McCord. Undoubtedly Syracuse’s most important transfer of the offseason, McCord is excited about being in Orange saying it was his “first choice” last week. Last season, the junior had over 3,000 yards last season along with 24 touchdowns, leading the Buckeyes to an 11-win season. The Philadelphia native is a proven winner but has a lot to do to transform the SU offense. One of the main things that will contribute to his success is the players around him.

Syracuse’s offensive arsenal is led by tight end Oronde Gadsden II. The red-shirt junior missed last season due to injury, but led the nation in receiving yards for tight ends in his sophomore year. Gadsden nearly hit 1,000 yards, showing that McCord must rely on the red-shirt junior this year.

The SU offense will also be reinforced by Georgia wide receiver transfers Jackson Meeks and Zeed Haynes along with several recruits. Both wideouts from the bulldogs are unproven three stars, and need to perform to aid McCord. All of the new additions are crucial for the quarterback’s, particularly with the Orange’s easier schedule than this past season.

Pitt may be Syracuse’s toughest upcoming opponent. The Panthers never broke into the AP Top 25 at all last season. In contrast, McCord consistently competed against top 25 programs in the Big Ten. All of that experience against high-caliber teams aims to help him have success against weaker ACC opponents.

Only time will tell if McCord can lead SU to its first conference title since 2012. Reports say the quarterback is already settling in nicely. The season is still five months away though, with pressure mounting on McCord. We don’t have to wait five months to see him in action though, with the spring football game coming up next week. The intra-squad contest will be the first time all eyes are on the transfer. If the former Buckeye replicates his stellar performance from last year, Syracuse’s offense stands poised to achieve its highest potential since the 1990s.

Former Syracuse football star experiences earthquake, eclipse and wedding all in a week (PS; $; Herbert)
Former Syracuse football star Zaire Franklin had a busy week, and it’s not even NFL season.

Franklin, a linebacker and a team captain for the Indianapolis Colts, got married over the weekend to Indianapolis realtor Khandice Dyson. The couple met at Syracuse University, where Dyson and Franklin both graduated from in 2018.

“You are my world. You are my soul. Everything I do is for you and our family,” Franklin told Dyson during the reception. “You give me peace. You give me confidence. Loving you is my greatest gift. I look forward to living the rest of my days with you.”

The gorgeous wedding was capped by an earthquake that rattled the northeast and a total solar eclipse that passed over their alma mater for the first time in nearly 100 years.

“I experienced an earthquake, a wedding, and a solar eclipse in a matter of days,” Franklin wrote on X, formerly Twitter. “It’s been a wild week for ya boy.”

When one follower joked that a tsunami would be next, Franklin was quick to respond Tuesday: “Chill I’m in Tampa don’t jinx me.”

Franklin, 27, shared photos from the wedding on Instagram, wearing a white jacket with his last name embroidered on the shirt cuff and a gold “F” pin on his lapel. The Colts congratulated the newlyweds, “Mr. & Mrs. Franklin,” on social media Wednesday.

Zaire Franklin

(L-R) Zaire Franklin and Khandice Dyson attend the 13th Annual NFL Honors at Resorts World Theatre on February 08, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic via Getty Images)FilmMagic

A day before saying “I do,” Franklin was in his hometown of Philadelphia when a 4.8 magnitude earthquake shook New Jersey. The quake was felt by millions in surrounding states, including Pennsylvania and New York.

The Syracuse Eight Return to The City (nccnews.newhouse.edu; Butler)

Eight courageous men, collectively known as the Syracuse Eight, revisit Syracuse, marking a significant chapter in the university’s athletics history.

At the Legend Athletics event in the New York State Fair, John Lobon and Greg Allen, pivotal figures of the Syracuse Eight, reflect on their bold stance against racism within the university’s football program. Back in 1970, they boycotted the program, demanding equality and justice.

Their demands, outlined in a letter to Chancellor John Corbally, included the hiring of a Black assistant coach, improved medical and academic support, and fair playing time. Despite facing backlash from teammates and the university, Lobon and Allen remained steadfast in their mission.

“We decided that we didn’t have to make a sacrifice,” said Allen. “We gave Syracuse a gift. We gifted them our dreams, our talent, our athletic careers to make Syracuse a better place.”

Years later, their persistence paid off when Syracuse appointed its first Black head football coach, Dino Babers, in 2015. Syracuse historian Rick Wright, a classmate of the Eight, remembers the moment as a vindication of their struggle.

“I called them all up. Greg, Rick, Syracuse … guess what … we just hired our first African American football coach. You guys have been vindicated,” Wright recalled.

Their legacy lives on, inspiring hope and resilience for generations to come.

ACC News

Has ESPN offered to broker a settlement? (RX; HM)

Has ESPN offered to broker a settlement?

C.W.Lambert (aka "The Dude of WV", aka "BIG12Insider.com") has posted a potential ACC/FSU/Clemson/ESPN deal on X (fka "twitter"). I have no way of confirming any of this, I'll just pass it on to you readers... here are the highlights of his long X thread:

I have some legit insider information from a source in the sports broadcasting industry...
ESPN has approached FSU, Clemson and the ACC about a potential settlement allowing the Seminoles & Tigers to leave the ACC whenever they want. But an ESPN brokered deal is only possible if FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC. Why? I'm glad you asked.
ESPN is the exclusive rights holder for both the ACC & SEC. Moreover, ESPN is a partner in both the ACCN and SECN. ESPN would not lose money if FSU & Clemson are in the SEC as opposed to the ACC.
The basics of the potential settlement are:
1. FSU & Clemson would pay an exit fee equal to what Texas & Oklahoma paid to exit the Big 12 + a %.
2. The ACC would retain the rights to FSU & Clemson home games BUT license those rights to the ESPN for SEC broadcasts.
3. The ACC receives 50% of the fair market (SEC) value of FSU & Clemson home games in both football & basketball. The % the ACC receives would decrease each year of the agreement.
4. ESPN would pick up the option on the ACC's contract until 2036, but would renegotiate terms to reflect the loss of value from losing FSU & Clemson.
5. The SEC - namely FSU & Clemson - would be contractually obligated to play a top tier ACC program each year...
What's in it for the ACC?
The proposed settlement mitigates the damages to everyone.
Wild Theory On How The ACC Is Being SABOTAGED! Why It's Unlikely... ACC Coaches In ESPN's Top 10 (youtube; podcast; Locked on ACC)
A wild report from X user Inside The Big 12 claims ESPN is working to broker a settlement that would allow Florida State and Clemson to leave the ACC any time they want, but only for a move to the SEC. Since ESPN has exclusive TV rights to both conferences and controls ACC Network and SEC Network, the theory explains that ESPN could easily provide this soft landing for FSU and Clemson while not losing any of their own revenue. Furthermore, letting Clemson and FSU make this switch would prompt ESPN to satisfy the ACC by agreeing to extend their TV contract through 2036. Hosts Alex Donno and Kenton Gibbs examine the theory but they aren’t buying it. For ESPN to broker this type of deal with likely result in them getting bombarded by lawsuits from the other ACC member schools and by FOX and the Big Ten. It sounds too convenient to be true. Alex and Kenton also break down an ESPN top 10 list of college football head coaches. Does the ACC have any representatives on the list?

More Spring Football for Sat., April 13th, 2024 (RX; HM)

More Spring Football for Sat., April 13th, 2024

Saturday, April 13 Schedule:

North Carolina (practice) – 10:00am, ACCNX
Boston College – 12pm, ACCN
Georgia Tech – 1pm, ACCNX/ESPN+
Pitt – 2pm, ACCN
Virginia Tech – 3pm, ACCNX/ESPN+
Miami FL – 4pm, ACCNX/ESPN+

Television coverage, if any, for the majority of Spring football games is, by far, on conference networks... but there are a few exceptions. Ohio State will be on Fox. Alabama will be on ESPN.

On big surprise for me: the Pac-12 Network will be carrying the Utah football spring game. I guess I thought the P12N was done...?

ACC spring football intel: New revelations at Clemson, Miami headline latest practice news for league members (247sports.com; Hughes)

ACC football teams are making major revelations at spring camp, and we tapped team insiders for the latest intel for the latest news and intel from practice fields across the league. A handful of teams, including Clemson, have already held their spring games, while others, like Florida State and Miami, will take the field by the end of the month.

Underwhelming performances from Clemson's quarterbacks raised questions about the team's potential this fall. Dabo Swinney and Co. were picked as one of the conference's top College Football Playoff contenders this fall, but confidence has weakened after Cade Klubnik completed just 13-of-26 passes for 158 yards with an interception before limping off the field during the Orange-White game last week.

Spring action has uncovered impact transfers, star freshmen and veteran players ready to make a mark for every team in the league this fall. Our team insiders have diligently tracked their movements this offseason, providing comprehensive coverage of their developments.

Get the latest football and recruiting scoop on your favorite college team today.

Here's the latest spring news and intel for all 17 ACC teams:

STANFORD CARDINAL

Latest Spring News: How realistic is it for Elijah Brown to push for starting QB job?
True freshmen, even ones as talented as four-star Elijah Brown, aren't guaranteed to start during their first season on campus. However, he's getting plenty of run with the 1s and 2s and can make a push with a strong spring game April 20.
"There's been a lot of speculation about how fast or how realistic it could even be for Brown to seriously contest for the starting job. I can't say that Brown has done that already by any means, but he was getting A LOT of reps on Monday. He saw a lot of the second-team reps. He took quite a few snaps with the first-team OL in front of him, too." — Cardinal247's Jackson Moore

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Latest Spring News: Losing Jeff Hafley might be a blessing in disguise
Boston College fans will get their first look at Bill O'Brien's Eagles during their spring game Saturday.
"Boston College was rocked this offseason with the unexpected departure of head coach Jeff Hafley, who took a DC job with the Green Bay Packers. But this may have been a blessing in disguise as they were able to bring in Bill O'Brien, who has local ties and significantly more experience than the previous regime. Now he gets to put his spin on dynamic QB Thomas Castellanos, who broke the school's record for QB rushing yards in a season. With reinforcements through the transfer portal for the defense, BC is looking to be in better shape than many expected" — EagleInsider's AJ Black

VIRGINIA CAVALIERS

Latest Spring News: Virginia needs to create competitive depth
Virginia finished with the second-worst record in the ACC last season and is spending spring ball attempting to develop depth across the roster. The spring game April 20 will give insight into where the Cavaliers' roster stands heading into the second portal window.
"The main thing for Virginia is creating competitive depth at most positions because last season they lost in many close games because of a lack of bodies. They are missing a lot of starters on the offensive line, so this spring is about who can step up and join the rotation up front. There are also new pieces brought in in the secondary. Who will be put in where? Also, wide receiver Malik Washington is NFL-bound. Who can step in after he had huge production for Virginia last season? Will it be Chris Tyree, the Notre Dame transfer?" — Wahoos247's Jacquie Franciulli

CALIFORNIA GOLDEN BEARS

Latest Spring News: Cal officially has a quarterback battle
Cal needed to add some talent at the quarterback position and made out of the transfer portal with former North Texas signal-caller Chandler Rogers. He's played second-fiddle to returnee Fernando Mendoza throughout the spring but recently got some first-team reps in practice, signaling an open competition at quarterback. They'll duke it out in the Bears' spring game on April 20.
"Cal officially has a QB battle. Chandler Rogers had a couple of first-team opportunities sprinkled in on Saturday, but Wednesday was the first time all spring I've seen him take full drives with the first-team unit. Rogers had the better 7v7 showing and more successful drives running the first-team unit while the second-team unit led by Fernando Mendoza was stuck in neutral in the earlier portions of practice." — BearTerritory's Jackson Moore

WAKE FOREST DEMON DEACONS

Latest Spring News: Linebacker Aiden Hall is poised to breakout
Former three-star linebacker Aiden Hall racked up 22 tackles and one sack as a true freshman last season and is poised to take the next step in 2024. Hall recorded a strip-sack in practice on Tuesday and added another sack and fumble recovery on Wednesday. Wake Forest's staff "is extremely high" on Hall, according to DemonDeaconDigest's Les Johns. He'll be able to display his full talents during the spring game April 20.

GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS

Latest Spring News: Georgia Tech has weapons for quarterback Haynes King
Few ACC programs feel as good about their quarterback situation as the Yellow Jackets, who welcome back Haynes King after a 2,800-yard, 27-touchdown season. Georgia Tech also returns all-purpose playmaker Jordan Haynes and its top two wide receivers from a season ago. All the pieces will be on display during the Yellow Jackets' spring game Saturday.
"Wide receiver may be the most talented position group on the Georgia Tech roster. It has been obvious to WR coach Trent McKnight that he has multiple options at receiver. Leading receivers Eric Singleton and Malik Rutherford have continued to do what they do. They're hungry to get better each and every day. Bailey Stockton is one member of the receiver group that doesn't get much attention, but he has caught the eye of McKnight." — GoJackets' Rod Mackenzie

PITTSBURGH PANTHERS

Latest Spring News: Pitt has a shakeup at quarterback
Pitt players selected quarterback Nate Yarnell as their top quarterback in their Blue-Gold spring game draft but turned heads when they took Alabama transfer Eli Holstein over returnee Christian Veilleux, signaling the former top-50 recruit is the new No. 2 on the depth chart. Holstein is the only quarterback on the roster recruited by new offensive coordinator Kade Bell and could continue to climb the depth chart with a strong performance in Pitt's spring game Saturday.

SMU MUSTANGS

Latest Spring News: Preston Stone still rehabbing from broken leg
SMU boasts the best quarterback of the three ACC newcomers in Preston Stone, who threw for 3,197 yards and 28 touchdowns last season. However, he's rehabbing a broken leg and missed the Mustangs' spring game April 5.
"He didn't really get to go through spring in general, which is never good," SMU coach Rhett Lashlee said of Stone. "He had a really good year last year, and you'd love to go into spring and to improve on areas you want to get better at and et continuity and timing with your team. He just wasn't given that opportunity… He'll be fully healthy to go into summer and go through the summer programs and the summer workouts and fall camp with his teammates."

SYRACUSE ORANGE

Latest Spring News: How will Syracuse's offense look under Kyle McCord?
New Orange quarterback Kyle McCord finished 2023 with 3,170 passing yards and 24 touchdowns with six interceptions at Ohio State last season and has garnered praise at Syracuse this spring. He will put his talents on display during Syracuse's spring game April 20.
"Heading into the spring game, most Syracuse fans are curious about the new quarterback Kyle McCord. He has looked really sharp this spring, but Orange fans are almost giddy at the thought of having an elite quarterback to kick off the new era. On top of that, how do many of his new weapons look, including transfer receivers Jackson Meeks and Zeed Haynes? The biggest question marks remain on the lines of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, where the Orange will likely look to add in the post-spring portal period. From a macro standpoint, our first look at the systems they will run offensively and defensively will be extremely interesting. They will not likely show a lot, but we should get glimpses into what they will look like this fall." — CuseNation's Mike McAllister

2024 Clemson Ticket Prices (RX; HM)

2024 Clemson Ticket Prices
How would being in the SEC impact Clemson ticket prices? Take a look at the data we have now...

Here's the 2024 Clemson football schedule, along with ticket prices from StubHub (as of April 11th):

Clemson Tigers 2024 Football ScheduleTickets
DateOpponentLocation$Min$Max
Sat., Aug. 31GeorgiaAtlanta, GA$248$1,086
Sat., Sept. 7APP STATEClemson, SC$62$445
Sat., Sept. 14OFF
Sat., Sept. 21NC STATEClemson, SC$102$609
Sat., Sept. 28STANFORDClemson, SC$65$456
Sat., Oct. 5Florida StateTallahassee, FL$291$1,011
Sat., Oct. 12Wake ForestWinston-Salem, NC$54$205
Sat., Oct. 19VIRGINIAClemson, SC$50$444
Sat., Oct. 26OFF
Sat., Nov. 2LOUISVILLEClemson, SC$63$537
Sat., Nov. 9Virginia TechBlacksburg, VA$233$517
Sat., Nov. 16PittsburghPittsburgh, PA$67$238
Sat., Nov. 23The CITADELClemson, SC$32$310
Sat., Nov. 30S. CAROLINAClemson, SC$146$886
note: SEC games in red, ACC in blue, HOME games in all caps.

Other

V73QAMRHSFBQTIXSRZZNMJG3KQ.jpg

Lemony shrimp scampi with fettuccine at Pearl's Bar & Bistro, Cazenovia, N.Y. (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)

Scratch-made dishes shine at Pearl’s Bar & Bistro in Cazenovia (Dining Out Review) (PS; $; Paventi)

We were concerned about the wall of smoke that hit us in the face as we entered Pearl’s Bar & Bistro in Cazenovia. Apparently, a party of 16 all ordered burgers, and the house ground brisket burger flared up on the grill, venting through the open kitchen window and into the dining room. Brisket makes for a juicy, flavorful burger and the drippings from 16 burgers on the fire simultaneously caused havoc for the kitchen.

The smoke eventually cleared and what became clear as day was Pearl’s is a warm, inviting restaurant with thoughtfully constructed cocktails and scratch-made dishes.

Pearl’s is the second Madison County restaurant from Jonathan Phillips, who is also behind Mad Tacos in Nelson. Phillips, a Cazenovia native, opened the restaurant in October 2023 with chef Pauline Drumm — formerly of The Century Club in Syracuse and The Cazenovia Club — at the helm. Pearl’s, which is located just east of the village on Route 20, takes its name from Phillips’ golden retriever.

If I were forced to assign a label to the menu, it would be upscale pub. There are burgers, finger foods, and salads, but also pasta dishes and steaks. There is an intentional effort to create a menu that serves a bargoer wanting to watch a game, diners looking for a nice dinner, and families seeking an affordable dinner with kid-friendly options. It’s a tight wire, for certain.

Housemade lemonade and local honey were prominent in the Bees Knees cocktail ($10), made with Barr Hill gin from Vermont, one of my favorite distillers. The clean, floral gin blended well with the earthy honey and bright lemonade. A thyme-infused syrup brought an herbaceous punch to this potent little cocktail. Our Fieropolitan ($14) was a riff on the Cosmo, but made with orange-flavored sweet vermouth, full of fruit flavors.

Micron CEO and Schumer pitch Central New York to Japan’s chip suppliers (PS; $; Weiner)

Top executives from Japanese computer chip supply chain companies who visited the United States this week heard a high-level pitch on why they should open new plants in Central New York.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer and the CEO of Micron Technology made the pitch in a 45-minute private meeting at the U.S. Capitol with a delegation of business executives from Japan.

The executives from more than a dozen companies accompanied Japanese Prime Minister Fukio Kishida on his trip to Washington.

Schumer and Micron President and CEO Sanjay Mehrotra told the visitors from Japan that it makes sense to open plants near Micron’s planned $100 billion chip manufacturing mega-complex outside of Syracuse in the town of Clay.

The four chip plants that Micron wants to build at White Pine Commerce Park in Clay will drive demand for more semiconductor manufacturing equipment, materials and talent throughout Upstate New York, Schumer said.

“My message is clear: If you don’t have a presence in Upstate New York, look here,” Schumer said in a statement after the meeting.

Some of the Japanese companies at the meeting already serve Micron at its chip manufacturing plants scattered across the globe.

Mehrotra said it would make sense for those companies to open new plants near Micron as it builds its largest memory chip manufacturing complex in Clay and moves forward with a smaller expansion at its headquarters in Boise, Idaho.

“We look forward to continuing to work with our Japanese supplier partners to meet this incredible demand and bring co-location benefits to New York, Idaho, and the United States,” Mehrotra said in a statement.

The CEOs from Japan who met with Schumer and Micron executives were from some of the biggest names in the technology business.

Those companies include Hitachi High Tech America, Canon USA, Fujifilm Electronic Materials Japan, Sumitomo Chemical and Tokyo Electron, according to Schumer’s office.

$16 million in tax breaks OK’d for tech company expansion set to create 400 jobs in DeWitt (PS; $; Moriarty)

The Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency on Thursday approved nearly $16 million in tax breaks for a technology company expansion that is to create 400 jobs in DeWitt.

The agency voted to grant TTM Technologies Inc. a payment-in-lieu-of-tax agreement that will save the company $10.6 million in property taxes over 30 years, as well as $4.5 million in sales taxes on construction materials and $825,000 in mortgage recording tax.

TTM, which bought Anaren Inc. five years ago, will receive a 100% property tax exemption on the new facility for 21 years. The exemption will be phased out over the next nine years.

The expansion would nearly double the workforce at TTM’s DeWitt location.

TTM announced in the fall that it plans to build a 214,770-square-foot facility on 23 acres of land on Fly Road, a little north of its current facility on Kirkville Road, to produce integrated circuit boards and ultra high-density interconnect printed circuit boards for the U.S. military. Circuit boards connect computer chips to electronic devices.

Based in Santa Ana, California, TTM employs 508 people at its current facility in DeWitt. It said it expects the $122.4 million expansion to create 400 jobs over four years.

Rain, high winds for Upstate NY, but then an extended spring warmup (PS; Coin)

Steady rain and high winds are expected the next few days in Upstate New York, but then temperatures start climbing toward the most extended warmup of the spring so far.

An inch to 1.5 inches of rain could fall today and Friday across much of Upstate. While some low-lying areas could see ponding water, little flooding is expected, the National Weather Service said.

The storm system delivering the rain will also bring strong winds. Gusts could reach 45 mph tonight, particularly on hilltops. Strong winds are also likely overnight Friday.

The rain winds down by Saturday, and temperatures will be on the upswing. The high Saturday is expected to be about 48, and by Sunday afternoon it should be about 58 degrees and partly sunny. The normal high temperature this time of year in Syracuse is 54 degrees.

The warming trend kicks into higher gear next week, with Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all expected to reach 70 degrees or greater, the weather service said. That would be Syracuse’s longest stretch of 70-plus weather this year. The high on Tuesday was a record-breaking 78 degrees, and on Wednesday it was 70.

There will be a chance of showers along with those warmer temperatures. Tuesday and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a 30% to 50% chance of showers.

Has ESPN offered to broker a settlement? (RX; HM)

Has ESPN offered to broker a settlement?

C.W.Lambert (aka "The Dude of WV", aka "BIG12Insider.com") has posted a potential ACC/FSU/Clemson/ESPN deal on X (fka "twitter"). I have no way of confirming any of this, I'll just pass it on to you readers... here are the highlights of his long X thread:

I have some legit insider information from a source in the sports broadcasting industry...
ESPN has approached FSU, Clemson and the ACC about a potential settlement allowing the Seminoles & Tigers to leave the ACC whenever they want. But an ESPN brokered deal is only possible if FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC. Why? I'm glad you asked.
ESPN is the exclusive rights holder for both the ACC & SEC. Moreover, ESPN is a partner in both the ACCN and SECN. ESPN would not lose money if FSU & Clemson are in the SEC as opposed to the ACC.
The basics of the potential settlement are:
1. FSU & Clemson would pay an exit fee equal to what Texas & Oklahoma paid to exit the Big 12 + a %.
2. The ACC would retain the rights to FSU & Clemson home games BUT license those rights to the ESPN for SEC broadcasts.
3. The ACC receives 50% of the fair market (SEC) value of FSU & Clemson home games in both football & basketball. The % the ACC receives would decrease each year of the agreement.
4. ESPN would pick up the option on the ACC's contract until 2036, but would renegotiate terms to reflect the loss of value from losing FSU & Clemson.
5. The SEC - namely FSU & Clemson - would be contractually obligated to play a top tier ACC program each year...
What's in it for the ACC?

Wild Theory On How The ACC Is Being SABOTAGED! Why It's Unlikely... ACC Coaches In ESPN's Top 10 (youtube; podcast; Locked on ACC)
A wild report from X user Inside The Big 12 claims ESPN is working to broker a settlement that would allow Florida State and Clemson to leave the ACC any time they want, but only for a move to the SEC. Since ESPN has exclusive TV rights to both conferences and controls ACC Network and SEC Network, the theory explains that ESPN could easily provide this soft landing for FSU and Clemson while not losing any of their own revenue. Furthermore, letting Clemson and FSU make this switch would prompt ESPN to satisfy the ACC by agreeing to extend their TV contract through 2036. Hosts Alex Donno and Kenton Gibbs examine the theory but they aren’t buying it. For ESPN to broker this type of deal with likely result in them getting bombarded by lawsuits from the other ACC member schools and by FOX and the Big Ten. It sounds too convenient to be true. Alex and Kenton also break down an ESPN top 10 list of college football head coaches. Does the ACC have any representatives on the list?
First of all, I don't believe this. It is, I believe, specious reasoning. Saying ESPN would be revenue-neutral doesn't make sense to me. Losing FSU and Clemson to the SEC would increase the value of the SECN, yes. But not as much as it would decrease the value of the ACCN, IMO.

ESPN would not do anything that would decrease it's revenue stream. The scenario above doesn't make sense on many different levels.