Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to World Carnivorous Plant Day!

Thinking of a plant that actually eats meat feels like something out of a science fiction novel or film – and it’s true that plenty of fiction has been built around the idea. But the idea of plants that survive by eating insects is actually true and perhaps a little more common than many people would think.

World Carnivorous Plant Day is here to raise awareness about and celebrate these unique and interesting plants that take a bite out of the insect population!

SU News

Former Syracuse QB has trained 2 contenders for Orange’s backup job (PS; $; Leiker)

Charley Loeb discovered Jakhari Williams via social media, where he came across videos of him working out at a camp around his ninth grade year.

The former Syracuse football quarterback now works as a trainer based in Atlanta for QB Country, and he could tell immediately Williams needed someone to train him. He had raw talent, but his mechanics were poor.

Loeb reached out — the first time he has as a trainer — and offered to train Williams, who immediately agreed. The Class of 2024 prospect, who signed with the Orange in December and joins the program this summer, has been training with Loeb ever since.

Loeb talked about working with Williams and third-year SU backup Carlos Del Rio-Wilson, who he connected with last summer, on the Syracuse Sports podcast Monday. He also shared the message he received from new head coach Fran Brown and how it feels as an alumni to have a role of sorts in the program again.

Williams has improved drastically in his mechanics in the roughly four years since, Loeb said, citing recent video Williams shared working out with fellow SU signee Jamie Tremble as an example of that improvement.

“He’s looking great,” Loeb said. “Really, really proud of where he’s come.”

Del Rio-Wilson worked out 1-on-1 with Loeb for the first time last year between the end of the spring semester and the start of summer workouts.

Loeb said Del Rio-Wilson can “do about anything you want him to do,” thanks to his athleticism, and that a lot of their focus has been more on the mental side of the game.

Syracuse football: can the Orange’s momentum under Fran Brown translate to improved home attendance next Fall? (TNIAAM; Chiappone)
Since formally taking over as head coach of the Syracuse Orange in December, the “Fran Brown Effect” remains alive and well as we approach the summer — headlined over the past few months by a newly implemented D.A.R.T. culture, a laundry list of promising recruits and a rejuvenating wave of optimism not felt by fans in quite some time.

The renewed interest and confidence among Syracuse football fans is notable, especially since it manifested in a big-time way recently with a record-setting 16,579 tickets claimed for this year’s Spring Game. The takeover has been exciting up to this point, and should the momentum truly carry over to the season, it begs the question — what could the Orange’s attendance numbers look like in Brown’s first year at the helm?

Both last year and over the course of the past half-decade, Syracuse’s attendance numbers trended downward at one of the worst rates among all FBS teams. Approximately 34,000 fans attended each of the Orange’s home games during the 2023 season, down from the nearly 41,000 fans (40,828 to be exact) per home game in 2022, according to d1ticker.com.

Out of all the 133 FBS teams, Syracuse’s percentage change in attendance between 2022 and 2023 was seventh-worst (-16.61%, worst in the ACC). The JMA Wireless Dome has a current capacity of 49,057, but keep in mind that will decrease to between 42,000 and 43,000 with the new renovations coming in.

The sharp decline in attendance for Syracuse makes sense. The 2022 season resulted in a historic 6-0 start and what was easily the program’s second-best year under former coach Dino Babers. That year reached its apex in mid-October, culminating in what became the 10th sellout in school history and the 19th-highest attended football game in the Dome when Syracuse defeated NC State to move to 6-0.

The Juice Online - Podcast: Joseph Filardi discusses playing football, lacrosse at Syracuse (r1vals; podcast; Juice on the Cuse)

Last week, 2025 Syracuse lacrosse commit Joseph Filardi announced that he would also play football at SU next year. Filardi committed to the lacrosse team and Gary Gait in September, and told Fran Brown in April he would also join their quarterback room.

We spoke with Filardi on this week's The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by BetOnline and Bleav, on his passion for both sports, how he will balance the two when he arrives in Central New York next year, and his vision for helping both programs.

"In the spring, I'll be focused on lacrosse, and in the fall, I'll be focused primary on football. The coaches will help work it out because they're very interactive and on board with it. It's something we can work with and get it done."

We also break down another week of significant Syracuse basketball roster moves, and preview the 2024 ACC Men's Lacrosse Tournament down in Charlotte, N.C. this weekend.

Donovan Mcnabb was him at Syracuse (nucsports.com; video; Schuman)

Keeping Up With The 315 4-30-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian gets things rolling with Portal Watch Day 44, where he goes over important dates heading our way that pertain to transferring, what Syracuse has been able to do in said transfer portal, expected minutes, and more. Next, Brian discusses some more Fran Brown news. Finally, Brian recap’s hour one, and makes some correlations between Judah and.. Bronny James?

Syracuse Football: 4-star edge CJ May, former Notre Dame commit, sets official visit (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football is among the schools pushing hard for 2025 four-star edge CJ May, who will officially visit the Orange in mid-June.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound May, a former Notre Dame verbal pledge, has unofficially visited the 'Cuse in the past.

Official Visit with @CuseFootball locked in!! June 14-16 !! @CoachNickWill @Coach_E_Rob @FranBrownCuse #Franchise25 pic.twitter.com/V88y0IR8Ne
— CJ “Slim Reaper” MAY (@CJMAY0) April 28, 2024
Now the top-150 national prospect says via his X page that he will take an official visit to Syracuse football from June 14 to June 16, which is the same weekend that several other Orange 2025 four-star recruits are planning to officially visit the program.

A recent post on X from On3 Recruits noted that a handful of suitors are pushing for May, including the 'Cuse, Auburn, Louisville and Ole Miss.

Auburn, Louisville, Ole Miss and Syracuse are among the schools pushing for 4-star EDGE C.J. May

May decommitted from Notre Dame in February.

He updates his recruitment with @DukestheScoop: Coveted Yellowhammer State prospect talks top schools, commitment timeline pic.twitter.com/86GRiOrsAO
— On3 Recruits (@On3Recruits) April 26, 2024

Syracuse football appears to be a big contender for 2025 four-star edge CJ May.

Orange head coach Fran Brown and his staff offered a scholarship to May on January 21 of this year, he said on social media. Throughout his recruitment, he has received more than 20 offers, according to 247Sports.

Syracuse football: Orange add kicker Jackson Kennedy from Cornell (TNIAAM; Wall)
The Syracuse Orange football roster continues to take shape as we head into the summer. Yesterday the Orange picked up kicker Jackson Kennedy as a walk-on graduate transfer from Cornell.

Dream come true!! Proud to continue my career at @CuseFootball #DART pic.twitter.com/ofzn1wBYe4
— Jackson Kennedy (@Jackson_K2020) April 29, 2024

Kennedy was the place-kicker and punter for the Big Red and earned All-Ivy second team honors last season. He was 21-30 on field goals during his career at Cornell, with a long of 46 yards. Kennedy also hit on 41 of 41 PAT attempts for the Big Red. As a punter, he averaged 39.4 yards per kick on 81 career punts.

With two seasons of eligibility left, he gives the Orange an experienced backup behind starters Brady Denaburg and Jack Stonehouse. Jadyn Oh is the other placekicker on the roster, but now Syracuse will have someone behind Denaburg and Stonehouse who has had to handle kicking under pressure.

Jason Simmons Jr. Accepts Bills Mini Camp Invite - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)
Syracuse defensive back Jason Simmons Jr. won't have to go far for his shot in the NFL. The safety accepted a mini camp invite with the Buffalo Bills, his agency announced.

Simmons spent three seasons with the Orange after transferring from New Mexico State prior to the 2021 season. He appeared in 36 games at SU, making 127 tackles, 18 pass breakups and four interceptions.

Across his college career, Simmons played in 47 games with 35 starts. He finished with 189 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, forced two fumbles, recovered a fumble, four interceptions, one touchdown and broke up 17 passes in his career between the two schools.

Simmons Jr. is the second player from this class so far to accept a free agent deal or mini camp invite. Isaiah Johnson signed with the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

This year's NFL bound class is smaller for the Orange, as many of the team's pro prospects elected to return for 2024. Fans can watch those players in the Loud House this fall by purchasing season tickets. Those who are already season ticket holders need to renew their tickets by May 1 to secure their selection spot in the 2024 reseat process.

Mattix Named Defensive Ends Coach, Albin Announces 2024 Staff Updates - Ohio University (ohiobobcats.com)

Looks like Ohio might be running the 3-3-5 against us...

The Ohio football program welcomes Kurt Mattix to their coaching staff, announced today by head coach Tim Albin along with multiple coaching staff changes for the 2024 season. Mattix joins the Bobcats as the defensive ends coach.

"Kurt brings over 20 years of defensive coaching experience that aligns with our defensive footprint here at Ohio University by stopping the run, being multiple and getting the best 11 players on the field," said Albin. "We are very excited to have him be a part of the Bobcat family."

Mattix comes to Ohio by way of San Diego State, where he served as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach from 2020-23. Since Mattix took over as the defensive coordinator, the Aztecs rank ninth in rushing defense, 17th in total defense, and 18th in scoring and pass efficiency rating. The 2023 season saw Mattix's defense force 18 turnovers with 10 interceptions and eight fumble recoveries. The 10 interceptions ranked 22nd in FBS and this performance earned three athletes All-Mountain West honors.

The most recent of Mattix's well-decorated student-athletes is Jonah Tavai, who was named all-American by Pro Football Focus, Bleacher Report, Associated Press, USA Today, and College Football Network after the 2022 season. He also coached lineman Cameron Thomas, who was named 2021 Mountain-West Defensive Player of the Year and was selected by the Arizona Cardinals in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL Draft.

Prior to SDSU, Mattix served as Eastern Kentucky's defensive coordinator from 2016-19. The Colonels' defensive unit was regarded as one of the leaders in the Ohio Valley Conference in 2019, leading the conference in third down percentage, fourth down percentage, red zone percentage, tackles for loss per game and first downs allowed. They ranked second among OVC teams in scoring defense, rush defense and total defense. EKU held its opponents to under 100 yards rushing six times during the 2019 campaign, highlighted holding Tennessee Tech to two yards and Murray State to 22 yards.

Mattix spent the 2015 season as the special teams coordinator and linebackers coach at his alma mater, Valparaiso, after working with the defensive line, linebackers and rush backers at Michigan from 2011-15. Prior to Michigan, Mattix served as the tight ends coach at Ball State from 2009-11, returning five years after served as a graduate assistant for the Cardinals' football program. Mattix also held positions at Saint Joseph's College, Wayne State, Anderson University and Trine University after starting his career at Portage High School in Indiana.

Newhouse to the NFL Network: Alumna Sara Ries ‘05 Oversees NFL Draft Coverage (newhouse.syracuse.edu)
The NFL draft weekend is one of the busiest times of the offseason for Sara Ries ’05, the senior director at the NFL Network. Almost a year’s worth of preparation culminates with a hectic, three-day event watched closely by dedicated football fans.

Sara Ries headshot

Ries, a broadcast journalism alumna, started as a production assistant for the network. She answered a few questions recently about how Newhouse prepared her for her career; covering the draft; her experience as a woman in a male-dominated field; and advice for students who want to get into the sports industry. Below are excerpts from her recent interview.

How did your Newhouse experience help you in your career journey?

I really feel that we gained a basis editorial background that we developed over the four years, and it was constant. And I think then you can kind of sprinkle in the other aspects because we were able to touch all the equipment nice and early at Newhouse. I loved that because I could take a camera out with me and shoot, there wasn’t a barrier to entry for that piece.

And so, then I could kind of not only be creative, but learn what I wanted to learn at my pace. And I did some work at the TV station on campus and the radio station as well because I thought the more I could do, the better. And that’s exactly what I took into my work here at the network, was the moment you walk in the door, just be ready to do anything. And whether it [would] be putting yourself out there and putting your hand up and saying “I’ll do it, I’ll learn it” or … just being ready to jump at any opportunity. That was something that Syracuse always helped kind of instilled in us and still to this day, I tell that to everyone.

The NFL draft has turned into a big offseason event for football fans. What do you like most about overseeing and producing draft coverage?

I really think what’s been cool about the draft is really making the city and the moment itself unique. How do we incorporate the music? How do we incorporate these big names that people know into our coverage? And how do we make those moments special? So, it’s unique every year. And honestly, at the end of the day, I feel just lucky to be a part of it.

And I’m here for the chaos, the trades and all the madness because that’s truly what makes it fun. And it’s like “boom,” we’ve got to go on to the next player, we’ve got to go on to the next team. And that kind of gives you the adrenaline rush that I think a lot of us got into live TV for.

Would you mind sharing your experience as a woman in sports, and give advice for women who are hoping to break into the industry?

When I first started, there were still very few women who were really, I think, visible to us. And that wasn’t just because we were in sports—we were pretty much never on TV. I mean, aside from the Olympics, there wasn’t that much coverage [of women’s sports]. I feel like we just weren’t really being seen, it was just about the women who were on TV. … I remember interviewing people at ESPN, some of their women were there when I did an internship, and I was just desperate to talk to them about what they had experienced. Because really, behind the scenes, there were two or three women, but that was it. I think there’s just been such a wave of women in industry and that I really hope it continues and it should be that way because we have to really be able to see and experience sports through everyone’s eyes before we can really make the coverage of sports fair and equal. You can’t just have one perspective.

The only way we can grow is for women to keep pushing their way in, keep wanting their voice to be heard, whether you’re on the sidelines as a fan raising your hand, or whether you’re really wanting to break into this industry. And just know that there are those of us here with welcome arms for whoever wants to join.

Newhouse Graduate Students Report Live From the 2024 NFL Draft (newhousesports.syr.edu; Crestohl)
It was a weekend to remember for four Newhouse School graduate students who travelled to Detroit, Michigan, to capture the excitement of the 2024 NFL Draft.

Carson Crestohl (PRL), Paul McCoy (TRF), Emily Coffey (BDJ) and Patrick Smith (BDJ) made up the quartet, becoming the inaugural Newhouse group to cover an NFL draft.

The students spent three days covering the highest-attended NFL draft on record – producing packages, conducting interviews and creating content for the Newhouse Sports social media pages.

Fan Fair

An estimated 275,000 fans packed into Detroit’s Campus Martius Park to take in night one, shattering the previous record of 200,000. The park was once again at capacity for the draft’s second day. By the time Mr. Irrelevant had been selected on Saturday evening, over 700,000 fans had passed through the Draft hub.

The cohort interviewed dozens of fans of all allegiances, inquiring about their team’s draft needs and quizzing the NFL faithful on all manners of football trivia.

The dominant color within the crowd was the Lions’ Honolulu Blue, and Patrick Smith fit right in speaking with fellow fans in his home state. “With the draft in Detroit, it was extraordinary to see the fan base I am a part of all come together in one spot. Speaking with so many of them was a great opportunity to blend passion with my work,” said Smith.

Meaningful Social Responsibility

The four Newhouse students were in attendance for the USA Wheelchair Football League’s Veterans All-Star Game on Friday. The league is funded jointly between NFL Salute to Service and the Bob Woodruff Foundation.

As footballs flew through the air and wheelchairs collided, Emily Coffey was buzzing around, interviewing various key actors.

Among those she spoke with were Bob Woodruff himself, as well as Anna Isaacson, SVP of Community Relations for the NFL and the woman behind the league’s ‘Inspire Change’ social justice campaign. She also spoke with a player from each team.

ACC News

ACC spring football overreactions: Miami has 'the one' in Cam Ward, Florida State defense will key title run (cbssports.com; Patterson)

The ACC faces a critical college football season as 2024 marks the first of true coast-coast competition with the league welcoming Cal, Stanford and SMU into the fold for a record 17-team membership. Conference realignment remained a steady storyline throughout spring practice as those three not only prepared for the move but the league itself engaged in legal battles with two of its flagship football programs: Florida State and Clemson.

While judges, lawyers, the league and other figures in suits focus on the murky details of contracts, our focus is on the players in pads as we dive into what we learned during spring practice. Any reaction to spring games or spring practice reports could be technically identified as an overreaction since we are not privileged to the information gathered from most of the 15 formal practice sessions held during the spring period. But since college football is a year-round enterprise, we have questions heading into spring practice and takeaways

On 2nd Thought: 2024 NFL Draft by Conference, School (RX; HM)

On 2nd Thought: 2024 NFL Draft by Conference, School

Now that a couple of days has passed, we've had some time to digest this year's NFL Draft. How did conferences compare in terms of draft picks, and which schools produced the most NFL talent?

From CBS Sports, here are the number of NFL draft picks by conference:

2024 NFL Draft
picks by conference
Conf.#Picks
SEC59
Pac-1243
Big Ten42
ACC41
Big 1231
Indy8
Sun Belt6
American5
C- USA3
Mtn West2
MAC2

Of course, there won't even be a Pac-12 next season, so the ACC moves up to 3rd simply by attrition.
From NCAA.com, here are the number of NFL draft picks by school:

2024 NFL Draft
picks by school
School#Picks
Michigan13
Texas11
Alabama10
Florida State10
Washington10
Oregon8
Georgia8
Penn State8
Notre Dame7
USC7
Missouri6
LSU6
Clemson6
Utah5
Auburn5
Illinois4
Iowa4
Louisville4
Kentucky4
Ohio State4
Miami4
South Carolina4
Texas A&M4
Arizona3
Duke3
Kansas State3
Miss. State3
North Carolina3
Oklahoma3
Ole Miss3
Oregon St3
Pitt3
TCU3
Tennessee3
Wake Forest3
Washington State3
Arkansas2
Boston College2
Kansas2
Marshall2
Maryland2
NC State2
Purdue2
S. Dakota St2
Texas Tech2
Troy2
Tulane2
UCF2
UCLA2
UTEP2
Wisconsin2
34 teams had 1 pick ea.
including Cal, Stanford,
and Virginia.

Keep in mind that the Notre Dame number is not included in the ACC total above.
It's a one-year snapshot, but I think we can still conclude that there were a lot of different ACC schools (10) with 2 or more players drafted into the NFL - with 3 more schools having one player each picked. That's pretty deep!

By contrast, the Big XII only had 6 schools with 2 or more - and two of those are Texas and Oklahoma. True, they get Utah and Arizona next year, so they would still be at 6 teams -- but the ACC would have more teams even without FSU and Clemson.

Last 1st-round pick for each ACC school... (RX; HM)

Last 1st-round pick for each ACC school...

How long has it been for YOUR favorite team? More draft analysis from David Hale...

Last time each ACC team had a 1st-round draft pick:

Clemson - Nate Wiggins
Duke - Graham Barton
FSU - Jared Verse
UNC - Drake Maye

BC - Say Flowers
Pitt - Calijah Kancey

NCSU - Ikem Ekwonu

Mia - Gregory Rousseau
VT - Caleb Farley/Christian Darrisaw

2020…
— ️♈️ (@ADavidHaleJoint) April 30, 2024
Here's the complete list, sp :
YearTeamPlayer(s)
2024ClemsonNate Wiggins
DukeGraham Barton
Florida StJared Verse
UNCDrake Maye
2023BCSay Flowers
PittCalijah Kancey
2022NC StateIkem Ekwonu
2021MiamiGregory Rousseau
Va TechCaleb Farley/Christian Darrisaw
2020LouisvilleMekhi Becton
2017StanfordSoloman Thomas/Christian McCaffrey
2016CalJared Goff
2015WakeKevin Johnson
2013SyracuseJustin Pugh
2010Ga TechDerrick Morgan/Demaryius Thomas
2009UVAEugene Monroe

Massive Changes Coming To College Football... REVENUE SHARING Soon? Bold ACC Football Predictions (youtube; podcast; Locked on ACC)

A settlement is reportedly in the works for a massive antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA. Negotiations in House vs. NCAA could result in a revenue sharing model for the Power Four conference. According to reports from ESPN and Yahoo! Sports, each school in the Power Four would distribute 15-20 million dollars to their student athletes as part of the revenue sharing model for television deals. This situation would dramatically change the college sports landscape as we know it.

2025 Overall ACC Football Team Rankings (247sports.com)

Other

L2TJSHFSXRAO3BZ7TRWIDZKTOU.jpg

Matthew Oja, Syracuse commissioner of assessment, is preparing for a citywide revaluation of property assessments.City of Syracuse

After 3 decades, Syracuse takes on a politically risky job: revaluing property assessments (PS; Knauss)

For the first time in three decades, Syracuse officials are planning a citywide revaluation, to reset the property assessment on every home, business, vacant lot and other piece of property.

It’s a long-overdue exercise in fairness, city officials say, but one that can trigger public backlash.

Officials plan to reassess all 41,447 city properties, allowing them to calibrate more accurately how much each owner should pay in property tax.

It’s a huge undertaking, likely to take at least two years and cost as much as $3 million. The goal is to make assessments more accurate, more fair, and easier to understand.

But nobody in the assessment department is expecting a thank you.

Since property taxes are charged based on assessments, revaluations often bring angry complaints from property owners whose assessments go up as a result. The city of Oswego is wrapping up its first revaluation since 1997, and officials there are feeling the heat from constituents.

Although one-quarter of Oswego residents will pay lower taxes based on the new assessments, more than 40% are likely to see an increase of more than $500 a year.

“I can see why this was kicked down the road,’’ Mayor Robert Corradino said. “It’s a very messy, messy issue. And it’s not something that you would normally put yourself through.’’

Work on Oswego’s revaluation began in 2022, before Corradino was mayor.

Syracuse last completed a citywide revaluation in 1996. Since then, property values in general have soared, especially for residential properties. As a result, assessments that equaled 100% of market value in 1996 now average 62.5% of market, even though many of the assessments have been raised at least once since then.

Some areas of Syracuse have experienced relatively hot real estate markets and steadily rising prices, but others have stagnated. Over time, assessments have become less reliable indicators of what each property is worth, making it more likely that some people pay too little tax while others pay too much.

A 2019 report by syracuse.com found that the city’s assessments of prosperous neighborhoods often were too low, benefiting wealthier homeowners at the expense of poorer city residents who paid more than their share of taxes.

The purpose of the revaluation is to stamp out any unfairness caused by uneven assessments, said Matthew Oja, Syracuse’s commissioner of assessment.

“It is best to make sure that the tax burden is shared equitably,’’ Oja said.

The Syracuse assessment department has budgeted $1 million so far to begin the revaluation process.

Apartment developer buys century-old Syracuse hotel, but long-term plans are up in the air (PS; $; Moriarty)

Another hotel on Syracuse’s University Hill has changed hands, and its future as a hotel is unclear.

Timberwolf Capital Partners, of Jackson, Wyoming, bought the Mayflower Hotel at 1030 E. Genesee St. from Scholar Syracuse LLC for $7.4 million, according to a deed filed with the Onondaga County Clerk’s office on April 4.

The 82-room Mayflower, which opened in the early 1920s, is adjacent to the Collegian Hotel, the former Genesee Grande. Scholar, which owns the Collegian, operates the Mayflower as an extended-stay hotel.

For at least a year, the Mayflower will continue as a hotel, said John Hoover III, manager of Timberwolf Capital. The company has contracted with Scholar to continue operating the Mayflower as a hotel.

After that, the company will decide whether to keep it as a hotel or convert it to apartments, he said.

“We’re still trying to run the model,” he said. “We’re not sure.”

Timberwolf specializes in developing multifamily, mixed use and purpose-built student housing. But Hoover said keeping the Mayflower a hotel is a possibility, given the pending reduction in hotel rooms on University Hill, home to Syracuse University, a medical school and three hospitals.

The university announced in the fall that it plans to convert its Sheraton Hotel into a 400-bed dormitory. The change will remove 200 hotel rooms from the market.

DJYVMQUSUZHCZAOFZUR5A54UFM.jpg

A supreme pizza from Cardano's, the 17th stop on our CNY Pizza Tour. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

CNY Pizza Tour, stop #17: A North Side pizzeria that started with a snow plow (PS; $; Miller)

An industrial-strength snowplow with a “For Sale” sign in a Lodi Street parking lot caught Albert Totari’s eye. It would be perfect for the pizzeria he planned on opening near Stella’s Diner on Wolf Street.

The plow was parked outside Kessler Plumbing near the intersection of Bear Street. Albert rushed over the buy the plow.

“I ended up buying the plow and the whole building,” he said. “This was a better location for pizza than Wolf Street.”

That was about 10 years ago. The snow plow came and went, but Albert’s still making pizza, wings and sandwiches at 2608 Lodi St.

He named his mostly-takeout restaurant Juliana’s Pizza, a combination of his daughters’ names, Julia and Ana. A few years ago, though, Albert said a Brooklyn pizzeria with the same name threatened him with legal action.

“I really had no choice but to change our name,” he said. “It wasn’t worth fighting. It didn’t change our food.”

Juliana’s is now Cardano’s Pizza & Wings, named after a brand of cryptocurrency. It’s a family business, run by Albert, his wife Tamar and his mother. Julia and Ana, ages 10 and 7, are often there filling the restaurant with laughter.

Last edited: