Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Recruiting

o9qQp.St.56.jpeg

Doyle Grimes (3) Makes a Tackle vs Homestead in November 2013

SU LB Verbal Doyle Grimes Plans to Enroll in January (PS; Mink)

Syracuse linebacker commit Doyle Grimes is planning to enroll in January, a move that will allow him to participate in winter conditioning workouts and spring practices.
Grimes verbally committed to Syracuse earlier this month and has known Syracuse freshman Antwan Cordy for about 10 years, a relationship that factored in his decision to attend Syracuse.

"I can get in and get solidified and just get in the playbook early and have a better chance of getting out there early," Grimes said this week.

"It was something where I pretty much had a plan because I was always a year ahead. I knew once I got to my senior year it would be like a cakewalk."

15480010-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Football Recruiting Tales From the Road: Time Lester Gets Acquainted in Orlando, Tampa (PS; Bailey)

This summer, Nate Mink and I have asked some of the Syracuse assistant coaches to share stories from recruiting visits. First-year tight ends coach Bobby Acosta told one of the more interesting ones, about one recruit's divorced parents getting into a fistfight.

In an interview on Wednesday, Syracuse quarterbacks coach Tim Lester shared a couple funny sequences from visits to Florida these past two cycles.

Lester is responsible for half of Chicago, all of the Tampa, Fla. and all of Orlando, Fla., an area he picked up this cycle.

The first story came on his very first trip to Orlando. Lester had heard Olympia High School had some talented players, and wanted to check in with a coach and get to know them.

SU News

-4b4d45f0d9a2f76a.JPG

Brisly Estime is Expected to Become the Full Time Punt Returner for 2014

14 in 14: Plenty of Room for Improvement on Special Teams (PS; Axe)

There is opportunity abound on the Syracuse University football special teams heading into the 2014 season to improve.

It all starts with Ross Krautman, who is hoping for a little redemption in 2014.

The Syracuse University football kicker missedmost of the 2013 season with a hip injury.

Krautman underwent surgery for the injury and was granted a fifth-year of eligibility.

Statistically, Krautman is one of the best kickers in SU history. He ranks second on SU's all-time accuracy list at 77.8 percent and is tied for third on the career kicks made.

14 in 14: How Will Results on the Field Affect Recruiting Momentum? (PS; Axe)

McDonald has been busy "booming" this off season as Syracuse has landed commitments from 25 recruits, the most at this point of the recruiting cycle since 2002 when recruiting service At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. began tracking the stat.

» Syracuse football 2015 recruiting class chart:

The 2015 SU recruiting class is currently ranked 28th by , 28th by 247 sports and 43rd by Scout

That list includes seven players from the state of Florida, considered one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in high school football and an area McDonald has deep roots in.

SU 2014 Opponent Preview: FSU Must Fight Championship Hangover (PS; Mink)

There is no game on the 2014 Syracuse football schedule that carries as much hype as the Oct. 11 matchup with Florida State.

The Seminoles are preseason favorites to win the ACC, are the defending national champions and return Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Jameis Winston.

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer is under no delusion of the talent gap between the two programs, but even the prospect of another harsh beating should do nothing to temper excitement when Florida State visits the Carrier Dome for the first time since 2004.

To give an early preview of what Florida State is all about in 2014, I called upon dear friend Jared Shanker, of ESPN.com, to provide some insight.

10478657_896999773647720_7521201333806467952_n_medium.png

Syracuse Football Gives Good Workout-Face (2014 Edition; TNIAAM; Keeley)

The Syracuse Orange football season is inching closer and closer to beginning so you know what that means...

Cue up the Saliva and watch the Orange make some serious workout-face in preparation for all that FOOTBALLIN'.

Relive past year's magic from 2010, 2011 and 2013.

College Football News

2014 College Football Preview/Haiku Fest: Nos. 26-30 (It's Make or Break Time for Will Muschamp at Florida; PS; Stevens)

26. FLORIDA

Will Muschamp would have you believe Florida's collapse into a 4-8 mess last season was largely the function of injuries. And he's probably right.

That said, if you're the Gators, you don't lose to Georgia Southern at home. You. Just. Don't.

No one should doubt the Florida defense, which wasn't as good as its five immediate predecessors in Gainesville but was only knocked around a couple times before the wheels came off the wagon the last two weeks. The problem was it had such little margin for error that it couldn't afford any miscues. This was a team that gave up 183 yards to Vanderbilt … and lost 34-17 thanks to a minus-four turnover margin.

Quarterback Jeff Driskel is healthy and Muschamp, backed into a bit of a corner, wisely hired away coordinator Kurt Roper from Duke and turned the offense over to the David Cutcliffe acolyte. That's a stellar combination, and if Driskel makes it through the entire season the Gators' offense can't help but to get better.

But how much? Just what would Florida have been last year with a semblance of an offense? Maybe 8-4 or 7-5. One of the great questions in all of college football right now is whether the Gators' awful season was a complete aberration or a sign of greater trouble. In complete fairness to Muschamp, Urban Meyer's will-he-or-won't-he-stay saga of late 2009 and early 2010 is no doubt a factor in Florida's hiccups. But that doesn't change a harsh bit of reality: The Gators need a turnaround, and this fall.

Florida in haiku:

Key Cocktail Party
Three straight losses to Bulldogs
First time since '80s

Former Players

Bills Coach Doug Marrone says He's 'Pretty Much Upset All the Time' (PS; Fairburn)

It's a week into training camp, and Bills coach Doug Marrone is upset.

The Bills' offense has struggled to get going — at times because of quarterback EJ Manuel and at times because of the offensive line. The beginning of training camp was headlined byMarcell Dareus' off-the-field issues. And the Bills have just a week left to prepare before they take the field for the Hall of Fame Game against the New York Giants on Aug. 2. It's simultaneously all of that, and none of it that has Marrone feeling upset.

"I think I'm pretty much upset all the time," Marrone said after practice on Sunday.

NYG Q&A Transcriptions: DT Jay Bromley July 27, 2014 (sportspagemagazine.com)

Q: What is your impression of Coach Coughlin?

A: He’s cool, man. He knows what he wants. He’s like a grandpa that walks around the halls, I guess. Sometimes he has a great sense of humor, sometimes he doesn’t.

Q: Does he give you any word of encouragement? Any wisdom?

A: Just be myself and continue to work hard and play with great effort.

Q: Can you talk about Syracuse with him (Tom Coughlin) or is it all business?

A: Its Orange Pride throughout these hallways and that’s known. Everybody knows that and that’s the basis of it.

Q: Are you happy where you left Syracuse?

A: Definitely. It comes from a team that didn’t have a winning season for about eight or nine years to three bowl games in my four years. That’s a great accomplishment.

Q: Anything you looking forward to today in full pads?

A: It isn’t any different for me. I play inside. They have been full go since day one. I like the pads because it gives me a little more range with my hands and work with my pad level and things like that. Other than that, it’s all fun out here.

Q: What has been the biggest adjustment between coming out of college and in the pros?

A: They’re just better, the offensive linemen are just as quick as you are. You’re not getting away with the same little moves and the things you got away with in college because you were better than everyone else. It takes a lot of technique to win one on one battles at this level.

-497b7cf03f8b4694.JPG

Tyree Makes a Tackle on a Punt Return at Aurburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium in 2002

David Tyree Working with Gay Former NFL Player After Taking Hear for Comments on Gay Marriage (PS; Axe)

Former Syracuse University football player David Tyree's hiring as director of player development by the New York Giants came under fire this week by some gay rights groups.

The group was upset with comments made by Tyree, famous for the "helmet catch" in Super Bowl 42, in 2011 about how he would give up his Super Bowl ring to end gay marriage.

I didn't realize he was that comfortable in front of a camera. He could become a big time fan favorite in NYC. Lets hope so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom