Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Orange Watch: From 0-2 to 2-0, What a Difference a Year Makes for SU Football (sujuiceonline.com; Cheng)

Item: It was in this space a year ago, following opening season defeats to Big Ten members Penn State and Northwestern that we were admonishing so-called “fans” who were saying Scott Shafer’s hiring was a mistake.

With a rookie head coach on any level comes on-the-job training, even for a nuance as small as changing communication location from high atop the field as a defensive coordinator, to roaming up and down the sideline as the boss.

We all saw the trouble Scott Shafer got himself into in full view of field-level TV cameras at the end of first half of last season’s Clemson game, a current-era technology snapshot captured forever, part of his season-long baptism which morphed from an 0-2 start to successfully ending with a 7-6 record and a bowl victory over a Power Five opponent, and through another thumbs-up recruiting cycle of bringing aboard better talent to fit within the program’s philosophy and soothe the long term doubters.

Even now 15 games into the job, including luckily avoiding the total embarrassment of losing to a FCS school, no matter how well coached and talented, and coming out and blasting Central Michigan 40-3 this past weekend to achieve 1/3 of the path towards bowl eligibility, Shafer consistently brings a unified mentality to the way he directs what unfolds.

Terps Are a Two-Point Underdog vs. Syracuse (baltimoresun.com; Zenitz)

Maryland fell to Syracuse, 20-3, in College Park last season, and the Terps have been installed as two-point underdogs heading into Saturday’s game against the Orange in Syracuse, according to ESPN.

Maryland (2-1) lost, 40-37, to West Virginia on Saturday. Syracuse (2-0) bounced back from a shaky showing against an FCS team (Villianova) to beat Central Michigan, 40-3.

The Orange lost several starters on defense from last year’s team that finished 7-6. They also lost starting running back Jerome Smith. However, Terrel Hunt is still there at quarterback and has accounted for 386 yards — 269 passing and 117 rushing — and four total touchdowns.

Syracuse is also getting six-plus yards per carry from each of its two new primary running backs — Adonis Ameen-Moore and Prince-Tyson Gulley.

Senior outside linebacker Cameron Lynch, a returning starter, is leading the defense and has 23 tackles, including 4.5 for a loss and 3.5 sacks in the Orange’s two games.

Terps RB Wes Brown 'Good to Go' For Syracuse Game (baltimoresun.com; Zenitz)

Maryland running back Wes Brown did not play during the Terps’ loss to West Virginia on Saturday, something Terps coach Randy Edsall later explained as a “head coach’s decision.”

However, Brown is “good to go” for Saturday’s game against Syracuse, Edsall said Sunday.

“I just, as a head coach, decided not to play him yesterday,” Edsall said. “We’ve got a new week today. … He was out there last week. But like I said, I made a decision that he wasn’t going to play. But he’s back practicing. He’s been practicing. And we’ll see how the game plan shakes out.”

Freshman WR Appears on Depth Chart and Other Terp Related Notes (baltimoresun.com; Zenitz)

One of the top-rated members of Maryland’s past recruiting class could see some playing time when the Terps play Syracuse on Saturday.

Freshman wide receiver Juwann Winfree had some standout moments during preseason practice and has progressed to the point that he was listed on the two-deep when Maryland released its updated depth chart Monday.

The 6-foot-2, 195-pound Winfree, who was ranked as a four-star prospect, was named the Terps’ offensive scout team player of the week last week.

ACC News

i
i

ACC, Playoff Boils Down to Clemson-FSU? (espn; Shanker)

We leave you alone for one weekend, ACC, and this is what you do. That has to be what Clemson and Florida State were thinking as they checked box scores Sunday morning after their bye week.

Virginia Tech loses all team and conference momentum with a home loss to East Carolina.Georgia Southern was once again 90 seconds from upsetting an ACC team. Louisville, who many felt was now Florida State's biggest threat to an undefeated season, loses at Virginia. And, off all teams, it was reeling Boston College left to extinguish the flames, and the Eagles salvaged the Saturday with the biggest upset of the season, according to the Football Power Index, with a bulldozing of No. 9 USC, shocking even the staunchest ACC supporters.

So here we are, at the outset of Week 4 and exactly where we thought we would be before the season kicked off: the ACC seemingly comes down to Clemson and Florida State for the third consecutive season. The two will play in prime time Saturday, and the winner controls its destiny in the Atlantic Division and, with the lack of clarity in the Coastal, conference.

ncf_g_olsen01jr_300x300.jpg

Kevin Olsen Can't Stay Out of Trouble (espn; Adelson)

Kevin Olsen has never taken a snap for Miami, but he keeps making headlines.

The question now becomes -- when will enough be enough?

Olsen was suspended Monday for a third time in his brief Miami career, after he was charged with driving under the influence and having a fake ID.

Kevin Olsen was arrested Monday on a DUI charge. It wasn't the first time he's been in trouble.
He may have come in as one of the highest-rated prospects in the 2013 class, but Olsen has been nothing but trouble before he even set foot in campus. In May 2013 -- just before he was set to arrive in Coral Gables -- he was charged in his New Jersey hometown with leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident.

Once he got to school, Olsen sat behind Stephen Morris and redshirted. But he ended up getting suspended for the Russell Athletic Bowl for team rules violations.

He had a new opportunity going into the spring with the starting quarterback job open. Yet he could not make it a real competition with Ryan Williams. It was only when Williams went down with a knee injury that Olsen looked like he would win the starting job, albeit by default.

unnamed.jpg

SU Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Mancz Earns Player's Respect, Nickname (DO; Blum)

Ryan Nassib called him “Muscles Marinara.” Hal Luther dubbed him“Muscular Matt.” To Will Hicks, he was simply “Muscles.”

Matt Mancz says his current nickname, Muscle Matt, is a mixture of all three.

First it was just the football team that called him that. Then men’s and women’s lacrosse followed suit. Muscle Matt isn’t just a nickname anymore, it’s a title that is both a product of his own physique, as well as the respect he’s earned from the athletes and staff at Syracuse since joining as a full-time as the assistant strength and conditioning coordinator.

“It’s like being called ‘Coach,’” said Dan MacNeill, Mancz’s football coach at State University of New York-Cortland. “Who gets called ‘Coach’ is the guy who is usually revered and knows what he’s doing. He’s in that domain.”

Wes Brown didn't make the Maryland 2-deep that was released yesterday. I'm not entirely sure why that is. On a side note, my girlfriend's sister graduated with Kevin Olsen from Wayne Hills and said he was probably the least liked person in the entire school. And it looks like he's keeping that title down in Miami.

Wes Brown didn't make the Maryland 2-deep that was released yesterday. I'm not entirely sure why that is. On a side note, my girlfriend's sister graduated with Kevin Olsen from Wayne Hills and said he was probably the least liked person in the entire school. And it looks like he's keeping that title down in Miami.
I think Olsen's role model is Ryan Leaf.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Scott Shafer is about to start his weekly teleconference. Updates to come.

Shafer on the indoor practice facility: "Anything new and brighter makes things a little easier on the recruiting trail."

Shafer on K Ryan Norton: "For the most part he's been very good in practice. The ball's getting off quick."

Shafer said Syracuse needs to be better on first down on both sides of the ball. The team came up just short of its goals.

Shafer on recruiting Erv Philips: "As soon as I watched the video tape, I felt like it was a no-brainer."

More Shafer on Philips: "I think sometimes kids in New England get overlooked. I think that was the case with Erv."

Shafer on keeping Hunt in late: "We were just trying to be productive on offense and continue getting him reps."

Shafer said Josh Parris (knee) is day-to-day. Status uncertain for Maryland.

Shafer said freshman LB Parris Bennett was "banged up" and the team is hopeful he will play against UMD. No injuries for Quinta Funderburk.

And in Big Ten news...

Mark Wogenrich‏@MarkWogenrich 2m
According to Big Ten Network, #PennState-Rutgers was the highest rated college football game Saturday in NY and Philly.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 35m
Maryland head coach Randy Edsall on the Big Ten teleconference now. Will pass along updates.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 33m
Edsall talked about consistency in the running game. Said a balanced offense is important to opening that up.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 31m
Edsall said his team's third-down defense needs to be better. WVU was 11-of-24 this weekend.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 30m
Edsall spoke about the Syracuse defense's quickness. Added that WRs Diggs and Long are still "getting their legs back under them."

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 29m
Edsall: "We're kind of immune to injuries here because we've been through them so much."

@SteveInfantiNC9: SU Tight Ends coach Bobby Acosta tells us on UFR that Josh Parris will be a "full go" today at practice. Parris hopes to play vs. Maryland.

Why does WW's jersey have a BE patch and the others have an ACC patch? I guess this photo is from the spring game?

Good catch. We wore the new Orange helmets against Nova, so this has to be from last April.

Especially since WW didn't play against Nova.

ACC Upset Watch: Week 4 (ESPN: Adelson)

1. Maryland (2-1) at Syracuse (2-0), 12:30 p.m., ESPN3. Line: Syracuse by 2. The Orange posted a 40-3 win against Central Michigan last week. That counts as a big win considering the double-overtime scare they survived in Week 1. Still, how much do we really know about Syracuse right now? Is Terrel Hunt as good as he was last week or as average as he was in the first half against Villanova? Is the defense as feisty as the one we saw against the Chippewas or the one that was not very physical against Villanova? Maryland has not exactly impressed anyone with a close win over USF and then a 40-37 loss to West Virginia last week in which the Mountaineers ran 108 plays and Clint Trickett passed for 511 yards. Still, the Terps have a veteran quarterback in C.J. Brown and top-notch receiver in Stefon Diggs -- two players who missed Syracuse's 20-3 win against Maryland a year ago.

He's gone from the school from something I read earlier today...