Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - For Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday For Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

16147004-mmmain.jpg

Heavyweight Bout: Sean Hickey vs Clemson AA DE Vic Beasley in Battle of Top NFL Prospects (PS; Mink)

There have been two defensive ends Sean Hickey has extensively studied more than any other opponent this year.

One was Louisville's Lorenzo Mauldin, "one of the best hand fighters" Hickey has seen.

He will line up against the second mano-a-mano Saturday night, waging a war against Clemson's returning All-American Vic Beasley on likely every snap to create one of the most fascinating matchups in a game Clemson is expected to win.

Both players bypassed the NFL Draft earlier this year and returned to school for a fifth season. Hickey is rated as a third- or fourth-round pick, according to CBSSports.com, a slight improvement from the third- to fifth-round projection he received when he submitted his name to the NFL Draft Advisory Board after last season.

102214_S_ClemsonAdvance_MargaretLin_PE.jpg

Steve Ishmael Emerging as a Star in the New SU Offense (DO; Klinger)

Looking out through the small window in his Manley Field House office, game planning for Wake Forest, Tim Lester saw Steve Ishmael and, behind him, a Department of Public Safety officer.

“I was like, ‘Oh my God, what happened to Ish?’” Lester said.

Ishmael wanted to take a shower. The DPS officer said he wanted to make sure Ishmael was allowed to enter the building. Lester said he could, but also asked the wide receiver what he was doing at 11:30 p.m.

He was working out on SU’s practice field.

It was just a late end to another one of his after-practice drill sessions. Those, along with a near-constant stream of questions he fires at his coaches and veteran receivers, have thrust Ishmael onto the field for Syracuse (3-4, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) and into focus as the Orange takes on No. 21 Clemson (5-2, 4-1 ACC) at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

AJ Long Says Clemson DC Max Venables 'Known for Doing Crazy Things' (tigernet.com; Steele)

Long – who made his debut against Florida State - is trying to watch as much film as possible to try to grasp what he will see from Venables but he said that there aren’t enough hours in the day to fully prepare for Clemson’s vaunted defensive attack.

“You have to watch film – hours and hours – because you have to know what they’re going to do in every situation,” Long said during an interview session with the Syracuse media earlier this week. “You have to know what they’re going to do on first and 10 on the first drive, on the fourth drive and at the end of the game. Their defensive coordinator, Venables, he’s known for doing crazy things. He’s going to bring pressure. Especially with me being a young guy, he’s going to put pressure on me. With their defensive front and their DBs, it’s like, 'We’re going to make him make quick decisions and quick throws because he’s bound to screw up and throw an inaccurate ball that we can take to the house'. That will be his mindset. It’s going to be a challenge because they are athletically gifted across the board.”

Time Machine: Syracuse Destroys Clemson 41-0 in 1996 Gator Bowl (DO; Tebbe)

Their critics said they did not belong in a New Year’s Day bowl game.

But the Syracuse Orangemen quieted the naysayers with a 41-0 whalopping of Clemson in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 1.

For many Orangemen, it was their first experience in the postseason, and the emotions ran high before and after the game.

“I never had this feeling before,” SU defensive lineman Dave Rebar said.

“I had an adrenaline rush so high that it was unexplainable,” SU running back Malcolm Thomas said.

From the opening possession, Clemson had little success stopping the SU offense.

When the Tigers did get the ball, their fortunes got even worse.

“They were by far the better team,” Clemson head coach Tommy West said,

102314_S_Snowbeat_Courtesy.jpg

Kalon Davis (67) Starts at RT for Clemson and Is Their Best Offensive Lineman

Clemson OT Davis Uses Soccer Experience to Excel on OL (DO; Mettus)

Kalon Davis’ 6-foot-5, 340-pound frame is more suited for the gridiron than the soccer pitch.

“The first time he walked on the field I was like, ‘What the crap? Who is this guy?’” said Tyler Bernstein, who has played against Davis in intramural soccer leagues at Clemson. “It was so surprising to see someone that huge coming to play soccer.”

Davis has been playing soccer since he was 3 years old, but will be starting at right tackle for No. 21 Clemson (5-2, 4-1 Atlantic Coast) when it hosts Syracuse (3-4, 1-2) on Saturday at 7 p.m. in Death Valley. The redshirt senior didn’t start playing football until high school, but has used his soccer skills to become a versatile full-time starter on Clemson’s offensive line this season.

“He’s played everywhere,” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said. “He’s played left guard, right guard, right tackle, left tackle … He could play center if he could snap it.”

cole.jpg

Will Cole Stoudt Join the Growing List of Starting QBs Knocked Out of Games by the SU Defense?

Numbers Crunch: Syracuse No Match for Clemson (nypost.com; Steele)

Football expert Phil Steele is the owner and publisher of Phil Steele’s College Football Preview, regarded as the college football bible. Get in-depth coverage of college and pro football 24/7/365 at PhilSteele.com.

CLEMSON (-14¹/₂) over Syracuse: Last week, I used Syracuse over Wake Forest and noted the Orange had a significant game grade edge (81.9-63.1) as found on my team pages at Philsteele.com. This week I will play against the Orange for the same reason, as Clemson has a significant game grade edge (95.6-81.4). What makes this play even stronger is that Syracuse will have a true freshman at quarterback making his second start against a Tigers’ defense that has held its last three opponents (and four of five) to their season low in yardage. Lastly, the Syracuse offensive line has been solid, allowing just five sacks, but that is deceiving because the only road games were at Central Michigan and Wake Forest. Those two foes are a far cry from my No. 4-ranked Clemson defense, which has piled up 23 sacks in the last six games.

Game Notes: Syracuse at Clemson (thestate.com; The Sports Network)

The 21st-ranked Clemson Tigers welcome the Syracuse Orange to Death Valley on Saturday for Homecoming at Memorial Stadium.

Dabo Swinney's Tigers remain within striking distance in the ACC's Atlantic Division at 6-1 overall and 4-1 in league play. Clemson's lone loss on the season was a 23-17 overtime setback at Florida State, but the Tigers have righted the ship with wins in four straight games since, including last weekend's 17-13 victory at Boston College.

Scott Shafer's Orange are sitting one game under .500 with a 3-4 overall record. Syracuse is just 1-2 in league play, but did secure that lone ACC win with last weekend's 30-7 rout of Wake Forest in Winston-Salem. The win brought an end to a four-game slide for Syracuse, after opening the season with two consecutive wins.

This is just the third meeting between these two teams, with each program winning once. Clemson tied things up with last year's 49-14 rout at Syracuse.

Thanks to a pair of defensive touchdowns, Syracuse was able to distance itself from the Demon Deacons and finally get back into the win column. Despite the offense generating just over 400 yards of offense per game, a great deal of that production was accomplished with quarterback Terrel Hunt under center. The veteran dual threat however, is done for the season due to injury, paving the way for youngsters A.J. Long and Mitch Kimble to see time under center, neither of which are as savvy as Hunt.

437-rS3C4.AuSt.74.jpeg

Dabo Swinney: 'It's Not Who We Play, But How We Play (islandpacket.com; Capps)

With the pain of Georgia and Florida State fading in the wake of a four-game winning streak and grind-it-out victories against two of the ACC’s top defensive teams, Clemson might be looking to catch its breath when 3-4 Syracuse visits Death Valley this weekend for homecoming.

Think again, warns Dabo Swinney.

Syracuse is a good team, a dangerous team, and thinking any other way could derail the Tigers’ momentum and their quest for “a great season,” Swinney said.

“I tell our guys all the time that it’s not who we play, but how we play,” Swinney said. “And how we play is based on how we practice. I think our team understands how hard it is to win. We’d better be on our A-game.”

Next Up: Dangerous Syracuse and Another 'One Game Season' (independentmail.com; Capps)

The Tigers outscored North Carolina, pummeled NC State, and clawed their way past Louisville and Boston College. Now here comes Syracuse, just like the others demanding Clemson's full attention.

It's another week and another one-game season, says coach Dabo Swinney.

"Syracuse is a good team coming off their best game," Swinney said. "It seems like they've found their guy at quarterback, and the more I've seen of him, the more I like him."

Syracuse's 'guy' is true freshman A.J. Long, who arrived in January and began competing for the Orange's backup spot behind returning starter Terrell Hunt.

Last edited:
David Hale‏@DavidHaleESPN 29m29 minutes ago
Wouldn’t have guessed this: No Power 5 team is avg more yards/rush after first contact than #Syracuse (3.44), per ESPN Stats & Info.

Not a compliment to our line, think it speaks more to our QB versatility though.

I guess it doesn't necessarily mean that first contact is happening behind the LOS, but still, not a stat I like unless we're really gashing teams.

WEEK 9: FIVE MAKE-OR-BREAK ACC MATCHUPS (TheACC.com)

Syracuse’s Pass Rush vs. Clemson’s O-line
Attack, attack, attack. It’s the mantra of an Orange defense that aims to disrupt the rhythm of opposing backfields. If linemen Robert Welsh, Eric Crume and Micah Robinson aren’t getting the job done, the staff will gladly unleash linebackers Cameron Lynch, Dyshawn Davis and Marqez Hodge. It’ll be up to the Clemson front wall, which ranks 11th in ACC sacks allowed, to seal the gaps and the edge. If the Tigers are successful, it’s going to enhance QB Cole Stoudt’s chances of locating big-play receivers Mike Williams and Artavis Scott downfield.

Turning -2 yard screens into 1.5 gains

Huh? That tweet said it was 3.44 not 1.5. A bunch of 1.5's would bring the average down, no? More likely it's our RB's (Gulley and AMM, and then Hunt was always taking a few an extra 5-7 yards).

Huh? That tweet said it was 3.44 not 1.5. A bunch of 1.5's would bring the average down, no? More likely it's our RB's (Gulley and AMM, and then Hunt was always taking a few an extra 5-7 yards).

-2 + 3.44 = 1.44

I rounded up

~not being a smart @$$, just clarifying

Last edited: