Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - For Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday For Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

touchdown-baby-d179538816c32a7a.jpg

Syracuse Touchdown Baby Goes Viral (PS; Herbert)

Syracuse University alumnus Dennis Jacobs is trying to teach his son to become a football fan. The game can be confusing for little ones, and with an Orange offense that's struggled in the red zone this season it might be difficult for youngsters to recognize a touchdown when it happens.

As a result, Jacobs' nine-month-old son Ace looks impossibly cute when he tries to signal a score for the Syracuse football team.

"Touchdown!" dad yells.

Ace responds excitedly, then raises both arms with a confused look on his face. "Sure, touchdown, I guess," the orange-clad tyke seems to say.

dkjmt.gif

Breakdown of Heavyweight Battle for Best Lineman in ACC: Beasley vs Hickey (PS; Bailey)

Hickey Wins in a Split Decision!

Syracuse lost to No. 22 Clemson 16-6 on Saturday night at Memorial Stadium, but there was also a game inside a game going on for two players.

For SU senior tackle Sean Hickey, the contest featured an opportunity to show NFL scouts that he could handle an elite defensive end. Clemson's Vic Beasley, like Hickey, passed up the NFL Draft last year. The returning All-American matched up against Hickey 45 times in the game over 13 offensive drives (Beasley did not play in two of 15).

Let's take a look at the heavyweight fight, round by round, and try to decide who won the matchup with boxing style scoring. Hickey, No. 60, lines up at left tackle on each play. Beasley, No. 3, lines up at right defensive end on each play.

102814_S_FoamHelmets1_MargaretLin_PE.jpg

Guardian Caps Help Keep Syracuse Healthy in First Year of Use (DO; Klinger)

The Guardian helmet caps looked weird. They made practice hotter. And the first time Syracuse players saw them in spring practices earlier this year, they were confused.

“I thought they gave our helmet an afro or something,” senior nose tackle Eric Crume said. “I was like, ‘Man, what is that?’

“… The first thing I thought was ‘These summer practices are going to be real hot with these black things on our helmets.’”

They were. But they also absorbed the shock of head-to-head collisions and softened helmet-to-body hits. SU has 80-100 of the soft-shell helmet covers that offensive coordinator Tim Lester helped bring to Syracuse after introducing the product to Elmhurst College in 2012 as the Bluejays’ head coach.

15601165-mmmain.jpg

Keenan Hale Decides to Walk Away From Injury Plagued SU Career (DO; Blum)

First it was a torn ACL in the spring of his sophomore year. A year later, it was a torn meniscus. Then another surgery to clean up cartilage followed three months later.

Three surgeries on his right knee in a 15-month span forced Keenan Hale to say goodbye to a Syracuse football career that, four years in the making, never even started.

“I just realized it’s my time to go,” Hale said. “I can do so many more things and I realize that. I really enjoyed every moment that I’ve had, but I just realized it’s my time.

“It was probably one of the hardest things I’ve had to do.”

How Has SU's Offense Fared in the Scott Shafer Era? (sujuiceonline.com; Stechschulte)

If there is something most Syracuse football fans have grown weary of this season, it is the team’s offense. Or lack of offense. Or making puns revolving around the word “offensive” when SU has the ball.

In 21 games under head coach Scott Shafer, the Orange football team has had, in order, an offensive coordinator, an offensive coordinator with the quarterback coach next to him in the booth to assist while calling plays, the original offensive coordinator again, and said quarterback coach taking over the offensive coordinator spot. This multitude of moves has not resulted in any definitive improvement (and 21 games is a small sample size, like pretty much anything is in football), but that may suggest a different culprit that has ailed the SU football program for a long time.

ACC News

ACC Upset Watch (ESPN; Adelson)

North Carolina (4-4, 2-2) at Miami (5-3, 2-2), 12:30 p.m., ESPN3. Line: Miami by 17.The line in this game seems a bit high considering the Tar Heels are on a bit of a roll after two straight wins. There is no doubt Miami presents many more challenges to a struggling UNC defense -- both from Duke Johnson and its speedy receivers. But the North Carolina offense presents more challenges than Virginia Tech did. Marquise Williams and Mack Hollins are playing at a high level and will force Miami to have a different defensive plan this weekend.

NC State (4-4, 0-4) at Syracuse (3-5, 1-3), 3 p.m., ESPN3. Line: Syracuse by 3.5. The Wolfpack go into this game off a much-needed bye week, while Syracuse could be emotionally spent after losing a close game to Clemson last week. Both need this game to help their bowl hopes. While the Syracuse defense has looked impressive the last two weeks, Jacoby Brissett presents a tougher matchup than Wake Forest and Clemson did. If Syracuse cannot get its offense going, NC State could get its first ACC victory since 2012.

Virginia (4-4, 2-2) at Georgia Tech (6-2, 3-2), 3:30 p.m. ESPNU. Line: Georgia Tech by 3.5. This is another must-win Coastal game for both teams, trying to keep pace with Duke atop the standings. Virginia has now dropped two straight after its impressive start to the season and it does not get any easier from here. But its defense will have a chance to slow down the run game because it has one of the stronger front sevens in the league. If the Hoos can get back to forcing turnovers the way they did in their first six games, their victory chances improve greatly.

Last edited:
Hopefully we will give that baby plenty of practice the rest of the year

That's what needs to happen if we're going to turn things around this last "third" of the season. Need to find a way to score points at a more prolific clip than what we've accomplished to date.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
Scott Shafer will be going on the ACC coaches' teleconference in a few minutes. Will pass along updates.

Shafer on true freshman QB AJ Long: "AJ is his own biggest critic. He wants to win."

Shafer says Syracuse threw the ball on first down against Clemson a lot because of how the defense lined up.

Shafer said Clemson's defense is the best he's faced this year. Better than Louisville, Notre Dame, Florida State.

Shafer spoke about hiring Matt Canada as a student assistant back when he was a GA at Indiana. Canada now NC State's offensive coordinator.

Phil D'Abbraccio ‏@PhilDAbb
Shafer: "As a quarterback, you learn more from your failures than your triumphs."

Shafer: "Some guys, they compartmentalize and freak out a bit. That's not who AJ is."

Last edited: