Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Dunkelberger Stands as SU's Lone Pass-Catching Commit After Lindor's Decommitment (DO; Schneidman)

West Lindor was told by Syracuse he’d be the only pass-catcher in the Class of 2015.

The Affton (Missouri) High School hybrid tight end decommitted from SU on Monday, citing a lack of contact by the Syracuse coaches as a reason he retracted his verbal.

But that wasn’t the only reason.

“They already had another tight end commit and I was told that I’d be the only tight end-hybrid-whatever to commit to the class,” Lindor said. “But they picked up another one.”

Junior college transfer Trey Dunkelberger, a Nov. 24 verbal commit, now stands as the only pass-catcher in SU’s Class of 2015. A hybrid tight end from Pierce (California) College, Dunkelberger brings two years of college experience and the versatile pass-catching abilities needed for a Syracuse team looking to make its offense more tight-end centric.

5442d3735bd94.image.jpg

Scott Shafer Should Be Back to SU Football Coach (auburnpub.com; Sciria)

December is definitely not the happiest time of the year for college football coaches.

Over the last few days we've seen Florida, Nebraska and Michigan give pink slips to their coaches. University of Miami fans are apoplectic that head coach Al Golden hasn't been fired after a 6-6 regular season.

Coaching at a major Division I school means your fan-base doesn't have much patience or wants to hear excuses. It's basically win now, now, more than ever in an era of big money coaching contracts, high-paying bowls and a four-team playoff.

Then there's Syracuse.

And its 3-9 record.

And its five-game losing streak to end the season, with nine losses in its last 10 games.

And its 1-7 mark in its second season in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

BC 28, Syracuse 7: View From the Stands (bcinterruption.com; Rubin)

In the marketing world, the last date is always the least pressurized. Anything that goes wrong simply doesn't matter as much, and it creates a more relaxed and loose atmosphere. There's no need for after actions, for meetings, for corrective measures. It's simply the end of the road.

Saturday's football game against Syracuse was the end of a long journey for Boston College athletics. It's one that started last year when they announced the construction of new end zone video boards and new sideline video ribbons. It's the process that included everything from meatballs to sushi, wristbands to parking passes.

For Brad Bates' crew, that meant opening the cupboard of all leftover ingredients. It meant honoring the 1984 Hail Flutie football team, and it meant new video board montages highlighting "Rivalry Weekend." It meant Senior Day. It meant throwing the kitchen sink at the team in one final flurry.

SU Football 'Pretty Interested' in Florida TE Raeshon Dunbar (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse offensive coordinator Tim Lester made a recruiting trip to the Sunshine State on Tuesday. Two of the targets he visited were Largo (Fla.) High School quarterback Donavan Hale and safety Jonathan Crawford, both of whom will visit Syracuse this weekend.

A third, Boca Ciega (Gulfport, Fla.) High School tight end Raeshon Dunbar, received his second visit from Lester. After stopping by in the spring, Lester returned to speak with the 6-foot-5, 238-pound senior and is planning on stopping by again next week, possibly with SU head coach Scott Shafer, Boca Ciega head coach Max Smith said in a phone interview on Wednesday.

"He seemed pretty interested," Smith said of Lester. "He made it sound like because of the coaching change at offensive coordinator, they're looking for more tight ends in this recruiting class."

Lester sat down with Dunbar during the visit and discussed Syracuse's interest, Smith said, though no offer was extended. Smith believes this was because Dunbar has not taken his ACT yet, which he will on Dec. 13. Dunbar was also invited to visit Syracuse in January, Smith said.

College Football

-9ee088c987cae280.jpg

Watch UAB Football Player Tristan Henderson's Passionate Speech at Meeting Ending the Program (PS; Axe)

Emotions were raw in a meeting called to officially announce the end of the football program at the University of Alabama-Birmingham.

Several players spoke up and expressed their anger and disappointment to school president Ray Watts that the program was being terminated.

No speech in that room was more passionate than the one from tight end Tristan Henderson.

From ESPN:

"My son asked me last night, 'Hey Daddy, what are they going to do to the program?'" said Henderson, who spoke from the front row just feet from Watts.

Other

16486866-mmmain.jpg

'Jump Around': In Too Many Sports Arenas, An Anthem Celebrates Violence Against Women (PS; Kirst)

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, going back to before I had my earliest memories. My folks were Buffalonians. I grew up in Western New York. Like so many brethren with Upstate roots, I've endured many long and losing Sundays with countless others who put their faith in Buffalo.

So yes, I was on my feet in my living room Sunday, when Buffalo's Kyle Williams got to Cleveland quarterback Johnny Manzielnear the goal line, late in a game between the Bills and the Browns. When Manziel lost the ball, it initially seemed the Bills had scored a touchdown to wrap up an important win.

On the screen, the television cameras panned to tens of thousands of joyous fans in Ralph Wilson Stadium. Many had jumped to their feet and were dancing.

I heard the rhythm and thought:

Please, not that song.

Rodgers Earns Academic All-America (Cuse.com)

Senior captain Sam Rodgers is the 13th student-athlete in Syracuse football history to be selected to the Capital One Academic All-America Team, which is selected by CoSida.

Rodgers was named to the second team for his work in the classroom and community in addition to his on-field success. He earned Capital One Academic All-District honors in each of the last three seasons and was also an AFCA Good Works Team Honoree this season...